Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I wonder...

Started by hawgfan4life, March 20, 2017, 12:00:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgfan4life

1.  Why there are so many posters that have shown up this year that always want to undermine the coaches, schemes, etc?

2.  If Dusty's dad locks him out of the house when he gets home?  Really I wonder if Dusty truly understands how appreciative most true fans are for his play.

3.  If the officials sleep well knowing they blew that game down the stretch?  I doubt it because every official I know rationalizes and justifies every call.  Hearing one admit they screwed up is rare.

4.  If all the doom and gloom posters that want MA fired and kept whining about how many quality wins we had against a crappy non conference and weak conference are still thinking they are so smart?  My guess is yes because they are so darned smart.

HotlantaHog

Here is my take:

1. It's the nature of the Internet and social media. Things can get quickly blown out of proportion. See our Twitterer in chief. Or Hogville after almost any basketball or football loss.

2. I am guessing wherever Dusty goes he is congratulated and asked for pics. I am sure he knows he is pretty beloved.

3. You couldn't very well do a lot of officiating if you second-guessed yourself every day, every call. Matters more what the NCAA does to review the situation, discipline those who made terrible calls. Though maybe NCAA wanted it that way. Somehow bad calls always benefit the ``brand name'' teams that presumably get big ratings. Coincidence?

4. A couple devastating losses in the middle of the season  (remember Mizzou) were enough to give even diehard Anderson fans pause. I wouldn't be overly harsh on the critics in Anderson's 6th year (and I have been consistently supportive, though I am sure I had some nasty things to say after the worst collapses.)

3kgthog

One could also ask which woodwork all the MA supporters crawled out of after the Missouri and Vandy losses. The number of hardcore MA guys doubled or tripled overnight.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 20, 2017, 12:21:59 pm
One could also ask which woodwork all the MA supporters crawled out of after the Missouri and Vandy losses. The number of hardcore MA guys doubled or tripled overnight.

That's an easy one.  I usually just stay away from here because of people like you, and I'm sure there are more like me.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: HotlantaHog on March 20, 2017, 12:14:15 pm
Here is my take:

1. It's the nature of the Internet and social media. Things can get quickly blown out of proportion. See our Twitterer in chief. Or Hogville after almost any basketball or football loss.

2. I am guessing wherever Dusty goes he is congratulated and asked for pics. I am sure he knows he is pretty beloved.

3. You couldn't very well do a lot of officiating if you second-guessed yourself every day, every call. Matters more what the NCAA does to review the situation, discipline those who made terrible calls. Though maybe NCAA wanted it that way. Somehow bad calls always benefit the ``brand name'' teams that presumably get big ratings. Coincidence?

4. A couple devastating losses in the middle of the season  (remember Mizzou) were enough to give even diehard Anderson fans pause. I wouldn't be overly harsh on the critics in Anderson's 6th year (and I have been consistently supportive, though I am sure I had some nasty things to say after the worst collapses.)

Coaches second guess themselves and lose sleep when they are in season.  Nothing wrong with officials being self critical.  It will help them be better.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 20, 2017, 10:14:01 pm
Coaches second guess themselves and lose sleep when they are in season.  Nothing wrong with officials being self critical.  It will help them be better.

Being self critical is one thing, but second guessing calls and reliving them over and over is not going to make one a bter official, it will make one a scared official. Just like a QB who can't quit thinking about a bad pass that resulted in a pick 6, or a pitcher who hung a curve and gave up a 3 run walk off, refs have to learn from mistakes and move on.

As for posters showing up, it amazed me the number of pro ander posters who had accounts created 5+ years ago, had under 20 posts is those 5+ years, yet come out full bore for Mike after the terrible losses at OSU, at MIzzu and at home to Vandy. Most of the "anti-mike crowd" has been here since he was hired. Although we are not anti-mike, we just do not feel he will get the program back to the heights we have seen the program reach under Eddie or Nolan. We think Mike is a great guy and a good coach, he runs a clean program, and will make the ncaat half the time, maybe a little better than half, and make the sweet 16 once in a while.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on March 20, 2017, 07:57:58 pm
That's an easy one.  I usually just stay away from here because of people like you, and I'm sure there are more like me.

There are many. Too bad that, on a Hog fan message board, some are going to hype any negatives and downplay any positives about the coach and team. Most fans aren't looking for that kind of interaction with other fans about a team they love, win or lose.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Little Lady Back

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 21, 2017, 02:11:52 pm
There are many. Too bad that, on a Hog fan message board, some are going to hype any negatives and downplay any positives about the coach and team. Most fans aren't looking for that kind of interaction with other fans about a team they love, win or lose.

Very well said and true.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 21, 2017, 02:11:52 pm

I don't come here for rah rah sunshine pumping. I like honest discussions about the team, both the good and the bad. When you come here after losing a game to MIZZu and people are saying stuff like it is no big deal, or just gotta give Mike time, that is not a honest discussion. At that point, this team had serious issues, yet pointing that out got you called names, labeled as hating Mike, being a racists, etc. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Little Lady Back

Quote from: hogsanity on March 21, 2017, 02:22:39 pm
I don't come here for rah rah sunshine pumping. I like honest discussions about the team, both the good and the bad. When you come here after losing a game to MIZZu and people are saying stuff like it is no big deal, or just gotta give Mike time, that is not a honest discussion. At that point, this team had serious issues, yet pointing that out got you called names, labeled as hating Mike, being a racists, etc.

lol
#NolanRichardsonCourt

sickboy

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 20, 2017, 12:21:59 pm

Welcome to life. People shut up when they look stupid (Trump excluded)... and scream bloody murder when they think they look smart. The irony is that none of us are as smart as we think we are. No matter how loud we yell.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: hogsanity on March 21, 2017, 02:22:39 pm

This is a completely ridiculous post.
It's 100% an honest discussion if the posters opinion is 'it's no big deal' or 'just gotta give Mike more time'.
Your problem appears to be you believe your opinion is the only one that matters.

Also, now that the season has ended, IMO that stretch of bad play was probably the best thing that coulda happened for this team. Woke them up and got the team to buy into what coach has been teaching them.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on March 21, 2017, 03:34:51 pm
This is a completely ridiculous post.
It's 100% an honest discussion if the posters opinion is 'it's no big deal' or 'just gotta give Mike more time'.
Your problem appears to be you believe your opinion is the only one that matters.

Also, now that the season has ended, IMO that stretch of bad play was probably the best thing that coulda happened for this team. Woke them up and got the team to buy into what coach has been teaching them.

What's most hilarious about that ridiculous post was that it really wasn't that big of a deal and we did just need a bit more time.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Hootiethehog

Quote from: sickboy on March 21, 2017, 02:48:44 pm
Welcome to life. People shut up when they look stupid (Trump excluded)... and scream bloody murder when they think they look smart. The irony is that none of us are as smart as we think we are. No matter how loud we yell.

I don't know, the closer I come to my volume limit, the more my IQ resembles Stephen Hawking.
Please note that my screen name is not an endorsement of any former coach at the University of Arkansas, nor does it mean I am in cahoots with the group that produces a yearly high school football magazine.
It is simply an old nickname I picked up 20 years ago with "thehog" added on to it.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2017, 11:07:22 pm
Being self critical is one thing, but second guessing calls and reliving them over and over is not going to make one a bter official, it will make one a scared official. Just like a QB who can't quit thinking about a bad pass that resulted in a pick 6, or a pitcher who hung a curve and gave up a 3 run walk off, refs have to learn from mistakes and move on.

As for posters showing up, it amazed me the number of pro ander posters who had accounts created 5+ years ago, had under 20 posts is those 5+ years, yet come out full bore for Mike after the terrible losses at OSU, at MIzzu and at home to Vandy. Most of the "anti-mike crowd" has been here since he was hired. Although we are not anti-mike, we just do not feel he will get the program back to the heights we have seen the program reach under Eddie or Nolan. We think Mike is a great guy and a good coach, he runs a clean program, and will make the ncaat half the time, maybe a little better than half, and make the sweet 16 once in a while.

Depends on how being self critical is performed and what the individual does.  Anyone who would second guess themselves in the manner you describe is not a person that should be an official.  I'm describing a person having enough humbleness to know they aren't perfect, they can handle criticism, they can get pissed at themselves when they screw up and admit their mistake.

sickboy

Quote from: Hootiethehog on March 21, 2017, 06:41:58 pm
I don't know, the closer I come to my volume limit, the more my IQ resembles Stephen Hawking.

Hah. It certainly feels that way, doesn't it?

rhames

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on March 20, 2017, 07:57:58 pm

There are
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.