Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SI, Portis and Arkansas

Started by RagingHawgOn, October 24, 2016, 10:18:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RagingHawgOn

SIAP and I don't have a link, but this little nugget is in the SI NBA preview:

"Bobby Portis will be a good player but he's pretty lost right now. Arkansas plays really unstructured basketball, so he didn't get a lot of understanding of NBA offensive or defensive concepts."

I share this only because I found it interesting and, frankly, I don't see many schools even attempting to run NBA stuff.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on October 24, 2016, 10:18:18 am

"Bobby Portis will be a good player but he's pretty lost right now. Arkansas plays really unstructured basketball, so he didn't get a lot of understanding of NBA offensive or defensive concepts."

I share this only because I found it interesting and, frankly, I don't see many schools even attempting to run NBA stuff.

Yeah, Bobby is so lost. Even though he has been gone from Arkansas for two years, nothing will overcome the "lost years" he spent at Arkansas. Some reports even suggest that under CMA's tutelage, Bobby regressed to the point of thumb sucking and pee-peeing his pants.

Bobby has been receiving intense instruction and individual training from NBA professionals for 2 years now in an attempt to counteract the kryptonite of Arkansas system that has made Bobby a mere Clark Kent of his former Super Self. So far, nothing has worked. Stay tuned.

The Hogfather

Absolutely ridiculous.

PorkRinds

Sounds like something that was written before his rookie season. Is this recent?

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 24, 2016, 11:26:23 am
Sounds like something that was written before his rookie season. Is this recent?

Yeah, it's in the 2016-17 NBA Preview issue.

XavierZane

That goes against everything else I've heard about him.  He led them to a Summer League championship and Bulls fans love him.

Looking at the whole scouting report, it seems like whoever wrote that is very anti-Bulls but weirdly pro-Mirotic.  He says that Nikola Mirotic is the "one saving grace" of the entire team.   ???

King Kong

NBA and College games are completely different.

Due to spacing, zone defenses/college man to man vs the NBA's man to man help/double teams defenses. Also NBA's talent level and skill level is far superior.

It's a major adjustment for anyone. Anyone truly believe the Cuse players don't have the same NBA adjustment issues?

Breems

Fast, instinctive basketball ≠ unstructured basketball.

The fundamentals of basketball transcend any one style of play. If you understand the building blocks of screening, spacing, shot selection, weak-side defensive help, etc. and possess the required physique and skill, fitting into different systems shouldn't be that difficult.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

MountieDawg

Isn't that articel from last year??? Let it go...
SEC!

RagingHawgOn

Hawg Red

FWIW, K.C. Johnson (Bulls beat writer) said the same thing about Portis last season (that he was struggling with defensive concepts and maybe bball IQ). Fair to assume he's maybe not there yet. Not the end of the world. Bobby works hard and that's what gets him on the court. It's no secret that Arkansas' system does not rely on a lot of designed plays. I would imagine that there are multiple concepts on both sides of the ball taught, though. Can't speak to how well they compare to those in the NBA.

That PF spot for the Bulls is somewhat wide open. They haven't committed to anyone. Couple of those guys are more seasoned than Bobby, too. Bobby will be okay. Still early in his career heading into his year 22 season. That whole roster is mess. Not sure what the GM/FO is thinking adding non-shooters in Wade, Rondo, and MCW. Portis should have plenty of rebounding opportunities.

hawginbigd1

BP was not very sharp defensively as a Hog, and he still gets lost, even this past summer, it has nothing to do with Arkansas. BPs upside is offensive skill set, size and his ruthless determination. I doubt he will ever be a defensive star.

poloprince

Keep hating and motivating BP  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

Jim Harris

I guess they could have also said, "Little Rock Hall High plays really unstructured basketball and doesn't run a lot of NBA sets and defenses." Makes about as much sense as this. Seems more like some know-it-all's slam at MA/Nolan/Hogs.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on October 24, 2016, 02:29:28 pm
No.

Actually it's almost word for word what was written about him during his rookie year.  Maybe the author is lazy and just repeating what he has already heard.  There is a new season coming up and I'm pretty sure based on defections from the Bulls team that Portis is figuring heavily into their plans this year.  Of course they could be idiots! 😏

Biggus Piggus

Portis played 62 games for the Bulls last season. He played 70 games at Arkansas. But we're supposed to believe that his two years at Arkansas left him damaged. Right?

Awful.
[CENSORED]!

Smokehouse

Zach Lowe had some similar comments on Portis' game (he didn't blame it on coming out of Arkansas, though.) One thing I've seen said repeatedly about Portis is he suffered from some poor shot selection last year. "Poor shot selection = he's not passing when he should = low basketball IQ" is an easy connection for a lazy sportswriter to string together, leaving out a whole lot of other contributing factors.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

rude1

Waiting on the article that claims Cal and Ky ruined Archie Goodwin, as he was just cut.

Jonteviosk

Goowin should never have been on an NBA roster.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Jonteviosk on October 26, 2016, 02:59:55 am
Goowin should never have been on an NBA roster.

Because your typical D-Leaguer can average 8 points a game in an NBA season.

RedyorNot

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 24, 2016, 11:43:34 am
http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bulls/2016-17-bulls-player-preview-bobby-portis

Good article, thanks for sharing. I think he's going to be much more consistent and effective this year since he'll have a pre-determined role.

jesterzzn

He's probably first or second man off the bench at this point.  Hard to justify him having much more than a secondary impact on the team.

I mean, if he was the starting high post player and central to the offense, sure, pick apart his game all you want.  But given that he is almost exclusively used as a matchup problem when applicable and a high energy breather for more polished starters at this point, well, he clearly excels in that role.  So casting him in any other role seems disingenuous at best.  Sports writers are just as lazy as the rest of us.  If I had a job writing for the team I likely had no investment in personally, I would probably write a bunch of bs too.

Rocket23

BP told me himself he struggled last year with complexity of the sets.  He was overwhelmed early on.

niels_boar

Ironically Hoiberg was hired to fix the Bulls' offense. He was considered an offensive coach in college, though nothing spectacular on defense.  Plus, nobody in the NBA runs the type of passive shot-concession-get-the-rebound defense that he ran at Iowa State.  By contrast, the defense that Atlanta has run the last few years would have looked very familiar to Portis.

Arkansas was also actually ranked slightly higher defensively than Iowa St. for Portis' frosh year (#44 to #55) and only slightly lower his soph year (#67 to #59).  Unlike CMA Hoiberg never has broke the top 50 in defense. Portis has already had substantially more practice time with the Bulls and Hoiberg than was allowed in two years at Arkansas.  Any problems that he is having are not related to his time with Arkansas. 

Likewise, many of the attributes that are keeping Demarre Carroll in the NBA obviously had their foundation with his time under CMA.  I really miss watching him jump the passing lanes on defense and show PG skills on the wing in a Hawks uniform.  Demarre often quoted "his uncle" after games as well.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

TomasPistola

Bobby would have been a damn good San Antonio Spur.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

hogfan14

He didn't play at all in the game tonight FWIW

HogInThaGrove

Bulls roster is a mess and they are wasting the energy and potential a kid like Portis has that can really only improve by getting a chance to actually play in a game.

If BP is having trouble with the sets, then he needs to spend more time in the film room. 

I love BP, I hate watching him sit the bench. 

Biggus Piggus

The Bulls played Lopez, Gibson, Mirotic, McDermott and Felicio last night.

Lopez was there to bang against Al Horford.

Taj Gibson had 18 points, 10 rebounds.

Mirotic (6-10, 238) played 1 more minute than either starting frontcourt player. He produced 15 points, 9 rebounds.

Doug McDermott (6-8, 219) played 22 minutes as a stretch four and had 5 points and 1 rebound. If Portis isn't better than that, something's wrong.

Cristiano Felicio (6-9, 266) only got 8 minutes.

The Bulls were outscored whenever Mirotic, McDermott or Felicio was on the court.

The power forward rotation right now is primarily Gibson and Mirotic. I would not be surprised if the Bulls traded Portis before long.
[CENSORED]!

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: TomasPistola on October 27, 2016, 05:17:03 pm
Bobby would have been a damn good San Antonio Spur.

I was really hoping Dallas would've picked him up. A couple years behind Dirk and then stepping into a starting role would have been awesome to watch.

But, yes SA is a much better basketball situation.

azhog10

Chicago picked up Portis' third year option.

Redbug

Quote from: azhog10 on October 28, 2016, 04:04:22 pm
Chicago picked up Portis' third year option.

wonder why he's stuck behind a bunch of spares and is the eleventh guy off the bench....

he got 3 whole minutes in probably mop up time in a blowout win against the nets....

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Redbug on November 01, 2016, 12:00:24 am
wonder why he's stuck behind a bunch of spares and is the eleventh guy off the bench....

he got 3 whole minutes in probably mop up time in a blowout win against the nets....
Because he is 22 years old and has a low salary cap hold.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on November 01, 2016, 01:28:38 pm
Because he is 22 years old and has a low salary cap hold.

Or maybe he really does need to work on the defensive end and is thought to be a bit of a liability at time. They're 3-0 so I doubt they're too concerned with mixing things up, yet.

root_hawg

Given the chance to compete for the starting power forward job in training camp, Portis' hopes of winning that role ended with an abysmal preseason, prompting coach Fred Hoiberg to eventually settle on Taj Gibson for those duties. It was still expected that Portis would factor into the rotation, but Hoiberg instead opted to divvy up the minutes at power forward exclusively between Gibson and Nikola Mirotic in the opener, with both turning in solid outings. That won't help Portis' case for getting back into the mix for consistent playing time in the near future, so it may be not be worthwhile to stash him in leagues with limited roster spots and an active waiver wire.

Per ESPN notes on Chicago

songofthesword

Deuce Pigelow

the unstructured system that Mike runs, the same system that Nolan did, has really hurt Joe Johnson's NBA career

1highhog

Quote from: Deuce Pigelow on November 03, 2016, 08:50:02 am
the unstructured system that Mike runs, the same system that Nolan did, has really hurt Joe Johnson's NBA career

yep, damaged Joe's career worse than any other NBA player ever in the game.  I say we get together and start a fund on Hogville to support Joe because he's going to need it after the disappointing career he's had in the NBA.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: 1highhog on November 09, 2016, 10:27:34 am
yep, damaged Joe's career worse than any other NBA player ever in the game.  I say we get together and start a fund on Hogville to support Joe because he's going to need it after the disappointing career he's had in the NBA.

Yes because he only made over 100 million dollars in his career. How is he going to live off that?

Biggus Piggus

Cuz playing a season and a half in college completely prevented Johnson from ever being able to learn set plays.

What an idiotic point of view.
[CENSORED]!

1hawgballer2

Don't also exclude the fact this guy left college basketball early at the end of his sophomore season. If you recall his freshman season was not very impressive, however his 2nd season he can on strong and faded some in post season play although understandable going up against NC bigs that double teamed him in the post.

Cinco de Hogo

Bottom line on any player,

If he has the mental attitude, athletic ability, and desire he will be fine.  If he doesn't he can still make a small fortune compared to most of us playing somewhere other than the NBA.

root_hawg

Well I don't think Bobby was ever thought of as a future all star but more of a excellent role player