Started by SpeedyHog, October 23, 2016, 10:43:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeedyHog

I'd be happy with a 20-11 record this year for My Hogs. #Fastest40 Woo Pig  ;D
Call Me Trumpton.

MikePiazza

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 23, 2016, 10:43:59 pm

I'd certainly take 20-11 but they can do way better than that. 23-8 or 24-7 is very possible.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Hawg Red

Whose alter is Speedy?

nwahogfan1

I will not be happy with only 20 wins.  It will take 23 wins and at least one win in the T. for me to think this season was a success.

Biggus Piggus

What was it Manny Watkins said? He said this team had the talent for a dream season. It might take a while for our fans to catch up with what's going on.
[CENSORED]!

SemperHawg

I certainly don't want to over react to yesterday being it was the red white game.... Buuuuuuuttt.  We have length and athleticism all over the court and its 8 to 10 deep.  With Thomas, Cook, and Hazen we have three legit bench players with length that can come in and get you 8 or 10 with 5 or 6 rebounds and guard multiple positions.    Barford and Macon both look as advertised.  CJ Jones looks like he could be a nice shooter to help spell Dusty. And then obviously we have the experience factor with Moses, Dusty, Manny, and Anton. 

Kevin

20 wins would be disappointing
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The_Iceman

Anton Beard
CJ Jones
Manny Watkins
Arlando Cook
Trey Thompson
Brachen Hazen
Adrio Bailey

That's our bench! No way we only win 20 games. This team will look like the 2014-2015 team. Barford, Hannahs, Macon, Thomas, and Kingsley will be our best starting 5 in years.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 24, 2016, 09:44:27 am
Anton Beard
CJ Jones
Manny Watkins
Arlando Cook
Trey Thompson
Brachen Hazen
Adrio Bailey

That's our bench! No way we only win 20 games. This team will look like the 2014-2015 team. Barford, Hannahs, Macon, Thomas, and Kingsley will be our best starting 5 in years.

Better than the 14-15 team + probably an easier NC sched + a not so difficult SEC schedule although probably will be a little tougher than the 14-15 team played
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Little Lady Back

Anton Beard
CJ Jones
Manny Watkins
Arlando Cook
Trey Thompson
Brachen Hazen
Adrio Bailey

Sure hope you are right, Iceman. So ready for the season to begin!!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

SpeedyHog

Quote from: Kevin on October 24, 2016, 09:12:18 am
20 wins would be disappointing
Quote from: Hawg Red on October 24, 2016, 06:54:43 am
Whose alter is Speedy?
It's a improvement from last season 15-16 record. Who do You think I am?
Call Me Trumpton.

Kevin

did not say it would not be an improvement.

20 wins might not get into the ncaa's
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hawg Red

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 24, 2016, 10:26:46 am
Who do You think I am?

A troll, judging by how hot you've come in right before the season.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on October 24, 2016, 10:29:33 am

Doubt it with this conference.  Would need high RPI wins - Texas, UK, ...  Would need road wins at Minn and Ok St and 0 horrible RPI losses to overcome somehow losing 11 games this season to the other teams on the schedule. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

SpeedyHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 24, 2016, 10:30:35 am
A troll, judging by how hot you've come in right before the season.

I am not a troll Hawg Red. I'm hog fan on here just like everyone else. I just have lowered expectations.
Call Me Trumpton.

Letsroll1200

Anton Beard
CJ Jones
Manny Watkins
Arlando Cook
Trey Thompson
Brachen Hazen
Adrio Bailey

I really like Manny in the first five but I can see Macon working ahead of Manny. If Barford can be a little better than Durham Arkansas will be in the NCAA tournament. This should be a season to remember. Good or bad!!!!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 24, 2016, 11:07:36 am
I really like Manny in the first five but I can see Macon working ahead of Manny. If Barford can be a little better than Durham Arkansas will be in the NCAA tournament. This should be a season to remember. Good or bad!!!!

If you somehow forgot this season, it's a good sign you might have Old Timer's disease.  ;D Also, "Good or Bad", do you always hedge your bets this way?

Big Nasty 34

I'm hoping you're not making these expectations after watching the red/white game yesterday.

Danny J

we better win more than 20 during the regular season or I will be upset. This team has all the right pieces and once they jell we should be no worse than 4th in the sec

The_Iceman

Quote from: Danny J on October 24, 2016, 02:01:22 pm
we better win more than 20 during the regular season or I will be upset. This team has all the right pieces and once they jell we should be no worse than 4th in the sec

Agreed. This team should be much better. We were .500 in conference last year with a much worse team. No excuses this year. This is a tournament made roster. Shooters, size inside, depth, length at guard, athleticism....all there.

SpeedyHog

Is 25 wins more realistic?
Call Me Trumpton.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 24, 2016, 11:07:36 am

Red White game Manny 25 pts 11 reb 4 asst. Before you say it doesn't mean anything Moses had 27 and 9 last year and he had a huge year. It seems like he has improved his offensive game a little bit. Should be a very solid rotation player.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

ShadowHawg

Razorod

Until I see them play a bit, I'm going to start off with 22 regular season wins as the expectation. Hopefully, as some are hinting, they're better than that.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

ballhogger

This is very reasonable.  We do need to remember we have several JUCO guys.  There may be some adjustment period.  I would suspect that by the time conference rolls around we should be clicking so 20 plus is what I would expect.

The_Bionic_Pig

October 25, 2016, 12:37:47 pm #25 Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:18:07 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
Quote from: ballhogger on October 25, 2016, 10:05:47 am
This is very reasonable.  We do need to remember we have several JUCO guys.  There may be some adjustment period.  I would suspect that by the time conference rolls around we should be clicking so 20 plus is what I would expect.

That trip to Spain moved the adjustment period up a bit ....and I agree we should be clicking in early January rather than late February.

Prior to Conference play:
10-2 (worst) 12-0 (best)

Just win 12 of next 20 (worst case and that includes SEC Tourney game) and your at 24 Wins. 

This team is talented & deep enough to easily win 14-15 of those remaining 20
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Kevin McPherson

I'm thinking 21-24 wins is the range, and by the end of the year this team just might be good enough to Dance AND Advance ... we have not had the guard play, IMO, until now to be a postseason team much less a postseason factor. So much rides on how much guys like Barford, Macon, and Jones move the backcourt needle for us, because we know what Dusty and Manny can do. And the X-factor is Anton Beard -- his development was stunted last year -- but if he continues to play with a facilitator-first mentality that he showed in Spain and in the R/W game, that will be huge for a team that does not have a true PG.

AugustaHog

Quote from: Kevin on October 24, 2016, 10:29:33 am

It would take 23-24 to feel good on selection Sunday.  Our non-conf schedule is fairly light and unless something changes there's not much meat to the SEC schedule.  There is very little room for error.  We definitely need to handle business early.

SpeedyHog

Anyone think We can win 26 this year?
Call Me Trumpton.

navyhog24

South Carolina didn't get in last year with 25 wins. Granted, their RPI was pretty low. The same thing could happen to the Hogs if we were to achieve that amount.

SpeedyHog

Quote from: navyhog24 on October 25, 2016, 02:48:17 pm
South Carolina didn't get in last year with 25 wins. Granted, their RPI was pretty low. The same thing could happen to the Hogs if we were to achieve that amount.
I would explode if that happened to Us this year. Here the kicker though. We have a Natty that South Carolina does not have. We have history.
Call Me Trumpton.

navyhog24

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 25, 2016, 02:50:54 pm
I would explode if that happened to Us this year. Here the kicker though. We have a Natty that South Carolina does not have. We have history.

You keep riding on that Title from over 20 years ago. UK and aTM not doing so great last year in the NCAAT hurt the image of the SEC even more than how bad it already was.

Dominicanhog

SpeedyHog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 25, 2016, 03:08:55 pm
over/under is 24
That be
Quote from: navyhog24 on October 25, 2016, 02:56:53 pm
You keep riding on that Title from over 20 years ago. UK and aTM not doing so great last year in the NCAAT hurt the image of the SEC even more than how bad it already was.

You NEVER forget a National Championship that You win. You want to forget about it? That is INSANE.
Call Me Trumpton.

Big Nasty 34

SpeedyHog

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 25, 2016, 03:19:43 pm
That's a tough call.
24 would be under the team win total from 14-15 with BP.
Call Me Trumpton.

Swinesong1

24 wins.  Won 25th in NIT.

Danny J

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 25, 2016, 03:25:55 pm
24 would be under the team win total from 14-15 with BP.
Don't forget Qualls and at times Madden played ok. Qualls was clutch down the stretch in the sect and the ncaat. BP seemed to disappear a bit at times.

I think 23 is realistic...also need the sec to be better overall and I think with the new players and coaches around the league settling in a bit more it should be better from top to bottom.

SpeedyHog

Quote from: Danny J on October 25, 2016, 03:32:10 pm
Don't forget Qualls and at times Madden played ok. Qualls was clutch down the stretch in the sect and the ncaat. BP seemed to disappear a bit at times.

I think 23 is realistic...also need the sec to be better overall and I think with the new players and coaches around the league settling in a bit more it should be better from top to bottom.
23 is iffy for a NCAA bid. Really need 25 to be a NCAA lock since the SEC is awful in Basketball.
Call Me Trumpton.

Iwastherein1969

How old is Manny Watkins ?  He's got to be in his late 20's or early 30's.  As far as not derailing this thread, the Hogs will go 25-6.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

FineAsSwine

I would be happy with 24 wins. We may drop a couple of early ones while the new guys are fine tuning their roles.

SpeedyHog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 25, 2016, 04:33:07 pm
I would be happy with 24 wins. We may drop a couple of early ones while the new guys are fine tuning their roles.
Meh. I'd be happy with 25-27 wins.
Call Me Trumpton.

Knot2brite

Honestly I can't put a number on it...all I will say is that on selection Sunday if I am crossing my fingers that we are in the tournament rather than pondering which seed we will be in the tournament then it isn't going to be a happy situation
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Biggus Piggus

South Carolina's problems:

15-0 start, 9-8 finish (before NIT)
73 RPI vs. mediocre schedule
Best wins were at Texas A&M (18 RPI), vs. Florida (45 RPI), vs. Hofstra (57 RPI)
Wins included five vs. sub-200 RPIs
Lost to Georgia in its opening SECT game, also lost to UGa at home the previous week
Was by far the best team to lose to Missouri, worst team in the SEC
SEC was ranked sixth in overall strength
The other 11-7 SEC teams were Vandy (went to NCAAT) and LSU (didn't)

They might have been one win away from making the NCAAT field. Losing to Mizzou in mid-February hurt them bad. Same with losing twice to Georgia in March. Georgia didn't make the Dance, why should SC?
[CENSORED]!

Danny J

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 25, 2016, 03:42:10 pm
23 is iffy for a NCAA bid. Really need 25 to be a NCAA lock since the SEC is awful in Basketball.
It really depends on SOS and RPI. Like I mentioned I think it's possible the league will be better this year top to bottom. We really need the league to do well in the nonconf part of the schedule. We also need to do well in that regard. It's hard to throw around a solid number of wins needed to make the ncaat without knowing how good our schedule turns out to be. That's why I think 23 will be enough IF the sec slate brings up our SOS.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 24, 2016, 09:32:40 pm
Is 25 wins more realistic?
Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 25, 2016, 04:34:20 pm
Meh. I'd be happy with 25-27 wins.

Something makes me think troll was appropriate.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

SpeedyHog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on October 26, 2016, 11:16:47 am
Something makes me think troll was appropriate.

Goodness gracious I am not a troll KCHog. I am a hog win that does  not know what to expect from this team I think You're trolling Me KC and the Sunshine Band Man.
Call Me Trumpton.

Hawg Red

I'm thinking Speedy is Captain Morgan.

hogwood

22-26 regular season wins is our range which I am expecting. Anything less than 22 and I think we will have underachieved. More than 26 is overachieving IMO, but also is more likely than winning less than 22.

phadedhawg

I usually set pretty low expectations (to avoid disappointment) but even I expect more than 20 wins.  24 would be a good year. 

I see our talent level on paper has grown but we still need to learn how to win.  We've made progress but more needed still. 

I'd be perfectly happy if we went to Sweet 16.  That would be an outstanding year in my book.