Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basketball Excitement

Started by MountieDawg, October 13, 2016, 06:09:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MountieDawg

I feel like the excitement for this season is high.  It seems like a midnight madness event introducing the players to the fans and having fun would make lots of sense.
SEC!

Razorod

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 13, 2016, 06:09:47 am
I feel like the excitement for this season is high.  It seems like a midnight madness event introducing the players to the fans and having fun would make lots of sense.
I like the idea, but we may need to string a few good seasons together to get the kind of excitement going that would make the event really special. Hopefully, those days are coming soon.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Razorod on October 13, 2016, 06:26:54 am
I like the idea, but we may need to string a few good seasons together to get the kind of excitement going that would make the event really special. Hopefully, those days are coming soon.

When the Hog Five get here in 2018 (four of them anyway), that could be a great time to bring midnight madness back.

hogwood

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 13, 2016, 08:06:42 am
When the Hog Five get here in 2018 (four of them anyway), that could be a great time to bring midnight madness back.

nwahogfan1

Should be a fun year.  If we can get some good production from the 4 spot I think we will have an excellent year.  Hopefully over 23 wins, top 3 in the SEC and a couple wins in the NCAAT.

3kgthog

I've never understood why they ditched it. No one is interested in a red-white game on a Sunday afternoon when there is NFL football on tv at home and church to get ready for shortly after. It was always better when Midnight Madness seemed to fall around a home football game weekend.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 13, 2016, 09:41:49 am
Should be a fun year.  If we can get some good production from the 4 spot I think we will have an excellent year.  Hopefully over 23 wins, top 3 in the SEC and a couple wins in the NCAAT.

Dustin Thomas will be critical in that area. The Hogs are going to need him to own that spot this year. I can't wait to see him perform and give us an idea of what he will bring to the table in a game setting and especially on the road.

Champs04

What if it isn't a good year? Are we done with Anderson? Or does he keep getting more time?

The_Iceman

Open practice saturday at noon.

hogwood

Quote from: Champs04 on October 13, 2016, 11:40:39 am
What if it isn't a good year? Are we done with Anderson? Or does he keep getting more time?

He gets more time due to the stellar recruiting he has done for the next 3 classes. He has brought hog ball back to the attention of the younger kids in this state and interest in the program is growing elsewhere. We fire CMA and we won't see that again for a while IMO - we'll be back to 2002 and picking up a coach who has a hot streak in the tourney and is looking to move up.

MountieDawg

I guess someone at the U of A saw my message... 5 hours later they schedule an OPEN PRACTICE to the public this Saturday.  If they paid me $50k  a year I would market basketball for them on a part time basis.  Marketing basketball at the UofA is #UNCOMMON
SEC!

SpeedyHog

When are they gonna bring back midnight madness?
Call Me Trumpton.

MountieDawg

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 13, 2016, 03:42:37 pm
When are they gonna bring back midnight madness?

No idea, it makes no sense that if they are going to have an OPEN PRACTICE or a MIDNIGHT MADNESS for the fans... Why wouldn't they announce it more than 48 hours before the event. The athletic administration treats basketball like the Democrats treat the people in the inner city, we will talk about you when it benefits us.  Otherwise, please stay hidden and quiet.
SEC!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 13, 2016, 03:49:45 pm
No idea, it makes no sense that if they are going to have an OPEN PRACTICE or a MIDNIGHT MADNESS for the fans... Why wouldn't they announce it more than 48 hours before the event. The athletic administration treats basketball like the Democrats treat the people in the inner city, we will talk about you when it benefits us.  Otherwise, please stay hidden and quiet.

2018 is the year mens basketball will break out of that L seven square. #bustinout

Kevin

With each football lose the excitement grows
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Captain Morgan

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 13, 2016, 03:40:46 pm
I guess someone at the U of A saw my message... 5 hours later they schedule an OPEN PRACTICE to the public this Saturday.  If they paid me $50k  a year I would market basketball for them on a part time basis.  Marketing basketball at the UofA is #UNCOMMON
I hope the coaching staff doesn't read Jump Ball unless it's for humor and comedy. Jump Ball is hogville version of the funny pages 😉

oldbooniehog

Since the year 2000, Arkansas has exactly 2 wins in the NCAA Tournament.

No program with exactly 2 NCAA Tournament wins over the last 16 years deserves to have much excitement associated with it right now.

Mississippi State has twice as many NCAA Tournament wins as Arkansas has over the last 16 years. And they haven't even made the Tournament since 2009.

As a result, I feel exactly zero excitement for Arkansas basketball.

None at all.

Too many bad seasons for the last couple of decades. 

I'll get excited if the Hogs get ranked, and become a shoo-in for NCAA tournament this season.

Not before.

It will take a few consecutive years of outcomes like that to resurrect the program from the depths it's been languishing in.

I'm NOT against Mike Anderson. Just telling the truth. Would be the truth right now no matter who was coach.

Swinesong1

Quote from: oldbooniehog on October 13, 2016, 08:55:11 pm
Since the year 2000, Arkansas has exactly 2 wins in the NCAA Tournament.

No program with exactly 2 NCAA Tournament wins over the last 16 years deserves to have much excitement associated with it right now.

Mississippi State has twice as many NCAA Tournament wins as Arkansas has over the last 16 years. And they haven't even made the Tournament since 2009.

As a result, I feel exactly zero excitement for Arkansas basketball.

None at all.

Too many bad seasons for the last couple of decades. 

I'll get excited if the Hogs get ranked, and become a shoo-in for NCAA tournament this season.

Not before.

It will take a few consecutive years of outcomes like that to resurrect the program from the depths it's been languishing in.

I'm NOT against Mike Anderson. Just telling the truth. Would be the truth right now no matter who was coach.
Did this thread not have a subject?  If you feel the way you do, don't post in a thread about being excited.  Start your own thread and let those who feel like you join you in your misery. 

oldbooniehog

Swinesong1, here's the saddest part, if you will.

I don't feel misery. Not one bit.

When it comes to Arkansas basketball, I don't feel much of anything at all anymore.

I used to. All sorts of things. Exultation. Excitement. The when it all collapsed, anger, frustration, loss, if you will.

Now, it's nothing.

And that just seems so........strange, I guess is the word I'm looking for?

Maybe that will change?

I don't know.

Swinesong1

Quote from: oldbooniehog on October 13, 2016, 09:09:29 pm

When it comes to Arkansas basketball, I don't feel much of anything at all anymore.

I used to. All sorts of things. Exultation. Excitement. The when it all collapsed, anger, frustration, loss, if you will.

Now, it's nothing.

Maybe that will change?

I don't know.
Hopefully, this season will be a start for you and all of us.  I feel your pain.  My gut tells me exciting times are on the horizon.  Appreciate your response.  Much respect. 

Dominicanhog

Now, it's nothing.

Maybe that will change?

I don't know.

But you feel enough to make two post to express that you don't feel anything... as the other poster said, it's a post about excitement.. if you have no feelings, then you should have nothing to say... appears you really just want to be negative and piss on the op's post

Breems

Now, it's nothing.

Tends to happen when you suck for 20 years.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hogwood

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 13, 2016, 09:33:05 pm
But you feel enough to make two post to express that you don't feel anything... as the other poster said, it's a post about excitement.. if you have no feelings, then you should have nothing to say... appears you really just want to be negative and piss on the op's post

This is a thread about excitement for the basketball program. If he doesn't share that excitement why can't he post here that he thinks this excitement is premature? If he has an opinion about the excitement he can share it. That's all everyone else is doing.

Unfortunately for our state football is more popular and basketball can easily take #2 for most fans. Personally I think it's a sad mistake. Our state is producing better basketball players than football and our basketball program will soon be reaping the benefits. I have always loved basketball and the Hogs and for 20 or so of my 26 years we have mostly SUCKED! It has never swayed me one bit. I am a die hard razorback basketball fan and I will be excited for every season... Sometimes as the season progresses and the losses pile up I lose interest or hope but a new season is always exciting for me.

latrops

I am more cautiously optimistic than I am excited.  I hope this is the beginning of another good, long run.  There have, unfortunately, been too many times over the last 15+ years where good things appeared imminent, but either never materialized or were short lived.  The pieces do appear to be in place....just have to actually go out and sustain success, now.

RealHog

Quote from: hogwood on October 14, 2016, 12:35:11 pm
This is a thread about excitement for the basketball program. If he doesn't share that excitement why can't he post here that he thinks this excitement is premature? If he has an opinion about the excitement he can share it. That's all everyone else is doing.

Unfortunately for our state football is more popular and basketball can easily take #2 for most fans. Personally I think it's a sad mistake. Our state is producing better basketball players than football and our basketball program will soon be reaping the benefits. I have always loved basketball and the Hogs and for 20 or so of my 26 years we have mostly SUCKED! It has never swayed me one bit. I am a die hard razorback basketball fan and I will be excited for every season... Sometimes as the season progresses and the losses pile up I lose interest or hope but a new season is always exciting for me.

Preach it  hogwood! Preach it! I feel the same. I first became a Razorback fan when I was a kid and mostly kept up with football staring about 2001 (Matt Jones era) Since then I have gravitated to basketball, since that is a sport I love to play and there's not reason we can't be a basketball powerhouse in the SEC. Much easier so than always competing every year against teams that have far better recruiting grounds than we do, and it makes more of a difference in football with bigger rosters. With Bball though, we generate good talent, have tradition, BWA. No reason why we can't dream bigger.

hogwood

Quote from: RealHog on October 14, 2016, 06:41:23 pm
Preach it  hogwood! Preach it! I feel the same. I first became a Razorback fan when I was a kid and mostly kept up with football staring about 2001 (Matt Jones era) Since then I have gravitated to basketball, since that is a sport I love to play and there's not reason we can't be a basketball powerhouse in the SEC. Much easier so than always competing every year against teams that have far better recruiting grounds than we do, and it makes more of a difference in football with bigger rosters. With Bball though, we generate good talent, have tradition, BWA. No reason why we can't dream bigger.

Yes, I really think Razorback basketball is special, and agree with your points that it is more feasible for us to be a basketball power rather than in football. If the energy that our football program receives was given to our basketball program who knows where we could be. We finally got a practice facility and now we are seeing the benefits in recruiting with lots more interest in our program. We have the history, connection to that history (CMA), the arena, and the in-state talent pool that can make for an attractive program with a national story line.

I am a basketball nut in general but I owe it all to the Hogs. One of my first real vivid memories are all the parties and people in the streets in Fayetteville when the championship was won. I was only 4. I've been hooked ever since.

HoopS

Well I'm dang excited. The rear view mirror view isn't pretty. But if you'd turn around and peek forward, you may just see something real promising. I do. It's there. And I'll be danged if past failures will rob me from enjoying our current team and the ones to follow.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HoopS on October 14, 2016, 11:06:28 pm
Well I'm dang excited. The rear view mirror view isn't pretty. But if you'd turn around and peek forward, you may just see something real promising. I do. It's there. And I'll be danged if past failures will rob me from enjoying our current team and the ones to follow.

That's the spirit! Sure makes following the team much more enjoyable.

HognitiveDissonance

Razorback fans are more than willing to get passionate about any sport. Just give them a spark, something to believe in and have hope, and they're all in.
Hog fans were more than excited when hoops was rolling back in the day. Packing 20,000 for Midnight Madness one year(I was there). We talkin' about practice.
Yea, they're all over football too. It may seem there is more interest in football but that can be deceiving, since that sport is so huge in the SEC, the stadiums are bigger, etc. But it just means everything is bigger in football.
They also pack Baum Stadium in record numbers.

My personal interest level is the same across the three major sports. I follow all the minor sports too. Whatever has a Hog on it.

But I've always felt we should hang our hat on basketball, based on past history, and more likelihood of success in this league.
I have always...always...had greater expectations for basketball than football.
Football is too much of a numbers game, and we ain't got 'em, compared to other SEC states. However, it takes fewer numbers to succeed in hoops, and the passion for hoops isn't as high in SEC country. It's not easy by any means, regardless of what national pundits say about the league. But the opportunity is there, no doubt.

GuvHog

Quote from: latrops on October 14, 2016, 04:21:17 pm
I am more cautiously optimistic than I am excited.  I hope this is the beginning of another good, long run.  There have, unfortunately, been too many times over the last 15+ years where good things appeared imminent, but either never materialized or were short lived.  The pieces do appear to be in place....just have to actually go out and sustain success, now.

This is where I'm at. Very well said latrops.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

lefty08

If you're visiting jump ball in October there is at least a little excitement, id say
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

The_Iceman

I'll be at the game Friday, so there is excitement from me.

Hog are ya

I'M SO EXCITED
AND I JUST CAN'T HIDE IT
I'M ABOUT TO LOSE CONTROL
AND I THINK I LIKE IT

HoopS

SpeedyHog

I am cautiously optimistic. Can't count for injuries to key players that't can effect the season. Etc. Woo Pig
Call Me Trumpton.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 26, 2016, 08:49:35 am
I am cautiously optimistic. Can't count for injuries to key players that't can effect the season. Etc. Woo Pig

Don't be so negative, SpeedyHog!  It's going to be all rainbows and cotton candy clouds and Ferris wheels this year. j/k  ;)

Seriously though, I don't believe that I can get anymore excited than I already am for the season to begin!! WooPig :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   
#NolanRichardsonCourt

PonderinHog

Quote from: Little Lady Back on October 26, 2016, 09:01:41 am
Don't be so negative, SpeedyHog!  It's going to be all rainbows and cotton candy clouds and Ferris wheels this year. j/k  ;)

Seriously though, I don't believe that I can get anymore excited than I already am for the season to begin!! WooPig :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   
After that Auburn debacle, I am right there with you!   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Little Lady Back

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 26, 2016, 09:04:41 am
After that Auburn debacle, I am right there with you!   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

You got that right, PonderinHog!!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

HoopS

I never let the possibility of an injury take away from preseason expectations. If it happens we will have to see what it means. But going in, I'm liking the depth combined with size and shooters.

SpeedyHog

Quote from: HoopS on October 26, 2016, 09:33:52 am
I never let the possibility of an injury take away from preseason expectations. If it happens we will have to see what it means. But going in, I'm liking the depth combined with size and shooters.
Let's set our Eyes on the natty this year.  We're gonna be positive.
Call Me Trumpton.

HoopS

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 26, 2016, 09:40:19 am
Let's set our Eyes on the natty this year.  We're gonna be positive.
you can set them where you want.

SpeedyHog

Quote from: HoopS on October 26, 2016, 10:13:03 am
you can set them where you want.
Sweet 16 appearance is what I am expecting from this 16-17 squad. Woo Pig
Call Me Trumpton.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: HoopS on October 26, 2016, 09:33:52 am
The only injury that would have a devastating impact would be Kingsley. Everyone else can be rotated.
And of course Kingsley coming back for senior year was key to the whole season, at least on paper. Have to have a paint presence to be a good team. Size matters.
Obviously he is the MVP.

mhuff

I give the coaching staff credit for the upcoming recruiting classes, especially Scotty, but I won't get excited until I see some resemblance to defense being played.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: mhuff on October 26, 2016, 10:37:42 am
I give the coaching staff credit for the upcoming recruiting classes, especially Scotty, but I won't get excited until I see some resemblance to defense being played.

I agree, mhuff. Defense has definitely been a problem in the past. Hopefully, we will see better d this year and you will be excited!!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

SpeedyHog

Quote from: Little Lady Back on October 26, 2016, 10:48:56 am
I agree, mhuff. Defense has definitely been a problem in the past. Hopefully, we will see better d this year and you will be excited!!
Quote from: mhuff on October 26, 2016, 10:37:42 am

Defense will always be a afterthought with CMA. Always has always will.
Call Me Trumpton.

azhog10

Quote from: SpeedyHog on October 26, 2016, 11:04:42 am
Defense will always be a afterthought with CMA. Always has always will.
This isn't true, the only problem is the "style" of defense isn't what people want. If I've been a critic of CMA it's always been on his half court defense principles. I don't think we teach them how I would, but I also know that as a coach you have to figure out what to spend your time on in practices. It's clear, and always has been, that he wants to put pressure on teams for 90 feet. In the past year or two he's pressed less than he used to. I hope this year, because of that trend they teach a little more help side than in the past. All that said, defense has always been something he stressed, i'm not in practices to know exactly how much time, and if it's just talk. But I do know what some of us think about defense is in the half court where CMA clearly spends more time on full court defense and ball pressure. Those are two things we have not lacked in, but we have lacked in defense off the ball.

SpeedyHog

Quote from: azhog10 on October 26, 2016, 11:32:58 am
This isn't true, the only problem is the "style" of defense isn't what people want. If I've been a critic of CMA it's always been on his half court defense principles. I don't think we teach them how I would, but I also know that as a coach you have to figure out what to spend your time on in practices. It's clear, and always has been, that he wants to put pressure on teams for 90 feet. In the past year or two he's pressed less than he used to. I hope this year, because of that trend they teach a little more help side than in the past. All that said, defense has always been something he stressed, i'm not in practices to know exactly how much time, and if it's just talk. But I do know what some of us think about defense is in the half court where CMA clearly spends more time on full court defense and ball pressure. Those are two things we have not lacked in, but we have lacked in defense off the ball.
It's the truth Bro.
Call Me Trumpton.

mhuff

Quote from: azhog10 on October 26, 2016, 11:32:58 am

While I always look forward to your comments, "style of defense".... Pile of no defense. Last year was the worst defense I have ever seen by a Hog team. I am not going to polish a turd. Our press was a disgrace and our on ball defense  ,as you correctly stated, was horrible. Our team defense was like 93rd in the nation. That was last year. Now the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome. Let's hope for something better.

niels_boar

In each of the last two years the defense has been bad through mid-January and then improved markedly in the last couple of months.  We were in the high 100's on defense in January last season but finished in the top 100.  That's a lot of ground to make up in a couple of months. CMA has done a pretty decent job of fixin' on the fly.  Unfortunately our O cratered last season as the D was improving.

One problem has been a dearth of players that are good individual defenders and large tradeoffs between defense and offense.  You can hide one below average defender (ex. Scotty Thurman), but no system or principles can hide matchup problems at three positions.  If you put a small PG on the court with Bell and Hannahs and a quickness or size disadvantage at the #4, it's very difficult to mold that into a lockdown unit no matter what you do. 

Before them Madden was a poor individual defender, and Qualls wasn't great despite his hops. He lacked lateral quickness.  However, that team was able to defend well enough once Beard got into the lineup with Harris and Portis and provided points and D.

Hopefully, Thomas, Barford, and Macon will be two-way players this season.  That would help a lot.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.