Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Player most likely to breakout of the bottom of the rotation

Started by FineAsSwine, October 11, 2016, 12:17:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

Cook, Glasper and Hazen bringing up the rear for now it seems. Which of these is most likely to stick it out and carve out a space in the top 7 of the rotation whether this year or next for Cook and by their junior seasons for Glasper and Hazen?

Just soliciting opinions on which of these three is most likely to break out from the bottom of the rotation and become a solid contributor during their time here and which one is most likely to seek playing time elsewhere.

As a walk-on, it's easier for Glasper to take an opportunity elsewhere with a full ride but I could really see him excelling in a year or two as the small, quick guard we need at times to match up with teams who have a similar player.

Cook could go either way. Right now he's going the wrong way (as well as getting drunk and passing out in the wrong car). He could make a turnaround but he needs to do it quickly since he only has two years.

Hazen could become a nice contributor with some more weight and strength and because of his versatility (outside shooting and interior rebounding) and I think he is the pick for best shot at cracking the top seven of our rotation in a couple of years.

batmanfan

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: batmanfan on October 11, 2016, 12:21:03 pm
Hazen. I see some potential there.

yeah, me too.. but we really won't know until we see him in action.. he doesn't have to be able to play immediately, but you can tell if they have what it takes and only need seasoning.. Looking forward to seeing them all... really excited about Hawgball.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 11, 2016, 12:23:49 pm
yeah, me too.. but we really won't know until we see him in action.. he doesn't have to be able to play immediately, but you can tell if they have what it takes and only need seasoning.. Looking forward to seeing them all... really excited about Hawgball.

Hope we get to have a good look at him during the NonCon part of the schedule. Probably mostly a practice player after that. Needs a year in the program to get more physical, kinda like Whitt could have used.

hogwood

Cook. Next year he will be a senior and we will need all the bigs we can get to have a full roster of guys down low. He will get a chance. Just based on the fact he is older I would suspect he will be more advanced as a Sr. than a So. Hazen - but that of course is all speculation being that I haven't seen either play.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogwood on October 11, 2016, 09:41:12 pm
Cook. Next year he will be a senior and we will need all the bigs we can get to have a full roster of guys down low. He will get a chance. Just based on the fact he is older I would suspect he will be more advanced as a Sr. than a So. Hazen - but that of course is all speculation being that I haven't seen either play.

I could see that, especially since we probably won't be adding an instant impact type of big in the 2017 class to go along with Gafford. If Cook gets out of the dog house and gets acclimated to D1 ball this season, he could step up and make a solid contribution by the end of this season or next year but he better get on the grind because the clock is ticking.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hogwood on October 11, 2016, 09:41:12 pm
I am not sure Cook embraces his role of rebounding and interior defense and scoring.  Cook is kind of light to play down low so we will see how he embraces that role.   That is the reason I would like to recruit more 4/5s types.

FineAsSwine

Guess Cook will take over as the Hogville whipping boy now that Keaton Miles has moved on.

Miles, who received the title of whipping boy from Ky Madden, did not take all of that punishment in vain. He got his degree, as did Madden.

Hopefully, Cook will take to his appointed role with the patience and dignity of his forbearers then get his degree and move on to better things (or things he is better at).

ShadowHawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 12, 2016, 09:30:54 am
   I am not sure Cook embraces his role of rebounding and interior defense and scoring.  Cook is kind of light to play down low so we will see how he embraces that role.   That is the reason I would like to recruit more 4/5s types.

You know 4/5 types don't fit the scheme but you want to see MORE of them?

hogwood

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 12, 2016, 02:27:25 pm
You know 4/5 types don't fit the scheme but you want to see MORE of them?

How do 4's and 5's not fit the scheme? This is basketball. Every team needs big men. They don't need to be scorers but we rely on guys who can rebound, get 2nd chance points/opportunities, and defend the hoop. To do that you need tall and strong players. They need to be more athletic and have the ability to play away from the hoop for offense and defense in our system but we still need big men.

rude1

Really like Hazen's upside, I just believe this kid has the potential to develop into a match up problem for other teams with his size and athleticism on the wing. He already has a nose for the ball and is a decent rebounder for a kid who right now lacks the physical strength. As his strength and ball handling improves I can envision him becoming a solid contributor.

RealHog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 12, 2016, 09:53:40 am
Guess Cook will take over as the Hogville whipping boy now that Keaton Miles has moved on.

Miles, who received the title of whipping boy from Ky Madden, did not take all of that punishment in vain. He got his degree, as did Madden.

Hopefully, Cook will take to his appointed role with the patience and dignity of his forbearers then get his degree and move on to better things (or things he is better at).

Well if we were talking about whipping boys I wouldnt mind having on the team, Ky Madden would be up there, was a great 4 year player, big passing guard who played good defense. Key piece of the 27-9 team. If our teams whipping boy could live up to him Id be happy.

The_Iceman

Quote from: batmanfan on October 11, 2016, 12:21:03 pm
Hazen. I see some potential there.

He needs to get in the gym and focus on the top of the key 3 and the corner 3. If he could specialize in those two shots, he could be a deadly PF with his size and skill.