Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nothing to complain about

Started by Pork Twain, August 08, 2016, 08:22:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 20, 2016, 07:38:43 am
Going to die a slow, painful death. Missing out. Kentucky has peaked. Arkansas is ascending. Buh-bye.

Yes, Razorbacks rising has a nice ring. Time to punch the bully in the nose. We back! Either you are for us or against us. No fence straddlers. Good-bye and don't let the door hit cha where the Good Lord split cha!

hogwood

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 19, 2016, 08:20:24 am
I wonder how the Monks feel, watching the state's best recruits for the next few years lining up to go to Fayetteville. How does it feel to suddenly be the only exception, when you are the one who turned down the school you grew up idolizing?

I've wondered that before. Many say Malik really wanted to be a Hog at first, but was slowly persuaded to go to KY by his family and elite peers. I would think he probably had dreams of being a Hog at one point in his life. He's probably happy for us and CMA, and maybe even wishes that he could have been the trendsetter with heart instead of the kid that did the status quo "good for business" move (which it's not even a great business move). Especially if we end up winning big later and having a strong program, I'm sure he will look back on his career and wonder what would have been if he had made a different choice.

But the reality is that probably not a whole lot would be different for him. The only major thing is that he would be welcomed and loved in his home state, and have lots of opportunities here because of that, rather than hated and exiled. That's a pretty big difference I guess. But otherwise, I don't think KY will have a great team this year and I would not expect them to reach the Final 4. He will be a part of another young KY team under Cal that is exciting but ultimately doesn't live up to the hype (partly because their hype is SOO hyped because their classes are so talented - but too young). He will leave and go pro after 1 year and once in the NBA who knows when we will see him (or if) emerge in the league.

If he had come to Arkansas and joined our team this season, we may have been able to attract another top recruit to our already solid class - but even if not he would still be joining a very capable and talented team. Maybe not a team that would out perform his current team at KY but one that would be right there with them, likely reaching SW16 or E8 - like KY might do this year. If we had Monk join Kingsley, Hannahs, Barford, and Macon it is hard to not see us being a top 15 team and legitimately challenging this years KY squad for the SEC title. This kind of year for an Arkansas team would automatically become one of the best years we've ever had (and the best in the last 20 years). Monk would be a legend here and named the catalyst for starting what has now been an impressive haul of instate pledges, revitalizing hope and the talent pool for this program. He still would have left after a year and faced the same NBA outcome, but his legend would have lived on more here in Arkansas. He could easily be forgotten and replaced in KY. I guess I was wrong - the reality is that it could have been a lot different for him here. Better for his legacy and brand, and future business opportunities. His NBA outcome probably wouldn't change. He may not be a top 5 pick (I don't really know why, he's not even in the top 5 now, I'm just trying to come up with something negative?) but would still be in the top 10. Eventually his NBA career would pan out the same as if he went to KY. He just wouldn't get swooped up on a jet by Cal and fly to Drake concerts all the time...