Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Basketball All-Time Teams during the Arkansas Era

Started by jbcarol, April 09, 2010, 07:41:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

trashcan maN

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: trashcan maN on July 24, 2014, 02:49:41 pm
Thought Mayberry would've cracked the list.

Just playing one year in the SEC makes it tough.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 24, 2014, 07:30:00 am
Not near enough Hogs on that list.  :(

And 4 of the top 8 from LSU with only 1 from Kentucky AND it was an LSU list. I don't think much of its' validity.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rusvegashog

I've said it on here before Chris Jackson is the best player Ive seen in the SEC. Mayberry has to be on that list and so does Bradley Beal.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 24, 2014, 05:29:17 pm
And 4 of the top 8 from LSU with only 1 from Kentucky AND it was an LSU list. I don't think much of its' validity.

The list is the top 75 players of the first 75 years in the SEC. It was an article done by the Gainesville Sun back in 2008.  I just linked the list from TigerDroppings because the list is no longer available from the Sun.

Quote from: rusvegashog on July 24, 2014, 08:37:04 pm
I've said it on here before Chris Jackson is the best player Ive seen in the SEC. Mayberry has to be on that list and so does Bradley Beal.
Mayberry and Beal each only had 1 year in the conference. Hard to be one of the best players ever with that short of a career.  Beal only averaged 14 pts per game.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: dhornjr1 on July 25, 2014, 09:20:27 am
The list is the top 75 players of the first 75 years in the SEC. It was an article done by the Gainesville Sun back in 2008.  I just linked the list from TigerDroppings because the list is no longer available from the Sun.

Thanks for the update. I checked and it was done by writers and sports media that covered the SEC. Even so I still don't think it is any more valid than what anybody else would come up with except one done by the coaches both past and present in the SEC.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

yodcw2003

ain't no way Chris Lofton was better than Todd Day.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 25, 2014, 12:32:15 pm
Thanks for the update. I checked and it was done by writers and sports media that covered the SEC. Even so I still don't think it is any more valid than what anybody else would come up with except one done by the coaches both past and present in the SEC.

I think the majority of basketball people would agree with it; especially the top twelve, which is what the OP asked for.

dhornjr1

Quote from: yodcw2003 on July 25, 2014, 03:26:51 pm
ain't no way Chris Lofton was better than Todd Day.

Todd Day played only part of one SEC season and still made the list. That shows how impressive he was. If he had played his entire career in the SEC, he would have been knocking on the door of the top ten.

dhornjr1

Kentucky has 20 players on the list. I'm thinking if Arkansas had joined the SEC just fifteen years earlier, they would have at least ten. Williamson, Thurman and Day and add

Sidney Moncrief
Ron Brewer
Alvin Robertson
Darrel Walker
Joe Kleine
Lee Mayberry
Oliver Miller

Maybe Delph, maybe Hastings...

yraciv

Would All SEC beat all time Kentucky?
PG Rajon Rondo
SG Ron Mercer
SF Jamaal Mashburn
PF Dan Issel
C Anthony Davis

PG John Wall
SG Rex Champman
SF Tayshaun Prince
PF Antoine Walker
C Sam Bowie

Util Antoine Walker
Util Tony Delk

dhornjr1

Quote from: yraciv on July 25, 2014, 04:56:05 pm
Would All SEC beat all time Kentucky?
PG Rajon Rondo
SG Ron Mercer
SF Jamaal Mashburn
PF Dan Issel
C Anthony Davis

PG John Wall
SG Rex Champman
SF Tayshaun Prince
PF Antoine Walker
C Sam Bowie

Util Antoine Walker
Util Tony Delk

I'd like to see if a healthy Sam Bowie could have slowed down the Diesel.

PonderinHog

I'd have found a spot for Joe Johnson, somewhere.

And I'm not real fond of #21 and #29 for some reason.

rusvegashog

Quote from: Karma on July 25, 2014, 11:09:03 am
Mayberry and Beal each only had 1 year in the conference. Hard to be one of the best players ever with that short of a career.  Beal only averaged 14 pts per game.
You're correct if looking at a cumulative career, but I was going bottom line w my opinion.

bruisemeister

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 24, 2014, 05:29:17 pm
Its true that 4 of the all time great college basketball players were from LSU. However, individual talent does not always translate to a successful program. For instance, Bama is probably the most decorated college football program ever but have only one Heisman winner and that was just a few years ago. On the other hand, both Florida and Auburn have 3. Both have great programs but pale in comparison to Bama. Its all about the sum of the parts being less than the whole or something of that nature.

bruisemeister

Quote from: dhornjr1 on July 25, 2014, 05:11:17 pm
People tend to forget that he was the number one player coming out of High School in 1979. This was a class that included Ralph Sampson, Isaiah Thomas and Dominique Wilkens. He was 7'1 with arms like fire hoses. He also could pass and had a nice outside shot. Unfortunately for him, he suffered injuries which cost him 2 seasons including his junior year. By the time he came back as a 5th year senior, Melvin Turpin had captured the starting center spot. He was moved to power foward where he promptly became a defensive stopper and rebounding machine. He made 3rd team All American despite averaging a little over 10 points a game.  He was drafted second in the NBA draft by Portland(ahead of Michael Jordan) and was having a nice rookie season(making the all rookie team). However he broke each leg in the next 2 seasons and was never the same.

fakebobholt

You could start a pretty good 5 just from Cals time at KY. As a group they would be as talented as any group you could put together

Pigasaurus

Quote from: dhornjr1 on July 25, 2014, 05:11:17 pm

Healthy Sam was right up there with young Patrick Ewing. Unbelievable.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

hvsupastar

Sam Bowie could be 2000% healthy. He would never have slowed down Shaq
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

jbcarol

SEC in the Naismith Hall of Fame: Players

Men's Players
Charles Barkley, AU
Cliff Hagan, UK
Bailey Howell, MS
Dan Issel, UK
Bernard King, UT
Pete Maravich, LSU
Bob Pettit, LSU
Frank Ramsey, UK
Dominique Wilkins, UGa

Men's Coaches [with SEC association]
Rick Pitino
Nolan Richardson
Pat Riley
Adolph Rupp

Contributors with SEC connection includes:
CM Newton
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Gatorsports.com @Gator_sports  ·  Aug 4

Beal cut from U.S. team http://bit.ly/1s894PU

QuoteThe U.S. men's national team cut former Gator Bradley Beal along with NBA star John Wall...

Remaining in the roster pool are: Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant, Chicago's Derrick Rose, Cleveland's Kyrie Irving, New Orleans' Anthony Davis, Golden State's Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, Houston's James Harden, Atlanta's Kyle Korver, Sacramento's DeMarcus Cousins, Dallas' Chandler Parsons, Utah's Gordon Hayward, Toronto's DeMar DeRozan, Portland's Damian Lillard, Denver's Kenneth Faried, Detroit's Andre Drummond and Brooklyn's Mason Plumlee.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Washington Wizards teammates John Wall and Bradley Beal were recently cut from the United States men's national team.

USA Basketball Men'a National Team managing director Jerry Colangelo explained during a teleconference on Tuesday why the two players were cut:

QuoteYou know, the fact is both players had a good week. Beal is a young player who has been involved with USA Basketball in the past, and I feel confident that he will be part of that future because he's an outstanding talent. This was strictly a numbers situation with him.

As relates to John Wall, you look at the guards who went forward in terms of our point guards, and he's truly a point with great size and really very good defensively, and that was a tough call as it relates to asking him not to go forward because of the people we felt were ahead of him in terms of talent and what they might bring to this particular team.

jbcarol

Bleacher Report @BleacherReport  ·  9h
VIDEO: Anthony Davis dives into the stands to save a loose ball then throws down an alley-oop a few plays later http://ble.ac/VuB9Gp

USA Basketball @usabasketball  ·  8h
The #USABMNT defeats Brazil 95-78 led by @AntDavis23 20pts and 4 blocks!

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ  ·  8h
.@BDawsonRivals has said there will be a window not long from now where Anthony Davis is the best player in the NBA. Lately I say: yup.

Anthony Davis has a lot to be browed of.

jbcarol

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  6h
Keith Bogans will be inducted into UK Sports Hall of Fame...

jbcarol

All-Time SEC Basketball Teams in the SEC, by Coach:

Billy Donovan

Starting Five
Chandler Parsons, First Florida AP and Coaches SEC POY 2011

Scottie Wilkebin, Second Florida AP and Coaches SEC POY 2014

Udonis Haslem '01,'02 1st Team, '99,'00 Coach's 3rd Team

Anthony Roberson, '04, '05 1st Team

Joakim Noah '06 1st Team, '07 Coach's 1st Team

Bench

Bradley Beal '12 Coach's 1st Team
Kenny Boynton '12 Coach's 1st Team, '11 2nd Team, '13 2nd Team
Al Horford '07 1st Team, '06 Coach's 2nd Team
Matt Bonner '03 1st Team '02 2nd Team
David Lee '05 Coach's 1st Team, '04 Coach's 2nd Team
Mike Miller '00 Coach's 1st Team
Jason Williams  Good ol' boy transferred from Marshall; #7 NBA pick
Patric Young  Big man stayed four years for Donovan with 3 Elite Eights and a Final 4

jbcarol

jbcarol

Tennessee Basketball @Vol_Hoops  ·  17h

Look who stopped by workouts today! All-Americans @dale_ellis3d and Reggie Johnson! #VFL

jbcarol

Dan Wolken @DanWolken  ·  14h

How three QBs from the same small-town high school team became big-time college coaches - in three different sports http://usat.ly/1rYnztX

QuoteLouisville, Mississippi sits at the crossroads to nowhere in particular, a good 40-minute drive in any direction before hitting a main highway. Even by Mississippi standards, it's a small, rural, out-of-the-way town, with nothing to indicate that it would eventually become a cradle of high-level college coaches.

But when Louisiana-Lafayette goes for an upset Saturday at No. 15 Ole Miss, it's a moment that could potentially be career-changing for head coach Mark Hudspeth while highlighting connections and coincidences that border on absurd.

Long before Hudspeth started his ascent from high schools to Division II football to becoming the highest-paid coach in the Sun Belt, he was merely a backup quarterback at Winston Academy, a school of roughly 350 total students from kindergarten through the 12th grade.

The upperclassman he was trying to beat out? That would be Andy Kennedy, who went on to play college basketball and is now entering his ninth season as head coach at Ole Miss.

And the younger quarterback was trying to mentor (sic)? That would be Matthew Mitchell, who found his niche coaching women's basketball and has taken Kentucky to the NCAA Tournament five straight years.

jbcarol

SEC Players included on SI.com's Top 100 NBA players of 2015

Numbers 20 thru 1 are yet to be posted

76. Bradley Beal, Wizards (Florida)
60. David Lee, Warriors (Florida)
56. Chandler Parsons, Mavs (Florida)
51. Joe Johnson, Nets (Arkansas)
40. Rajon Rondo, Celtics (Kentucky)
33. Eric Bledsoe, Suns (Kentucky)
31. John Wall, Wizards (Kentucky)
27. Demarcus Cousins, Kings (Kentucky)
25. Al Horford, Hawks (Florida)

root_hawg

jbcarol

Quote from: root_hawg on September 17, 2014, 08:20:49 pm
Most dominating player....Diesel

Need to do an All-Time Characters who played basketball in the SEC at some point.

rusvegashog

Two best from my day Chris Jackson and probably Jamaal Mashburne. Mamma there goes that man again.

root_hawg

jbcarol

Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo 'super stubborn,' harder than average to coach

QuoteI'm sure Rondo is stubborn. I'm sure he's difficult to coach.

How will he handle the Celtics owner saying so publicly?

There's no telling how Rondo will react, though I think he'll take this in stride. After all, he's admitted he's tough to coach.

But if Rondo actually wants out or considering requesting a trade, anything like this could put him over the edge.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  19h

Former Gator, current San Antonio Spurs F Matt Bonner among seven inductees to the 2015 Florida Hall of Fame.

jbcarol

Tennessee Basketball @Vol_Hoops  ·  19h

New addition to our @NBA jersey display. What do you think @JarnellStokes?

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  15h

So, deal is Boston's Keith Bogans to Cleveland for Dwight Powell, Erik Murphy, Malcolm Thomas, John Lucas III and a pair of 2nd-round picks.

Keith Bogans is the all-time leading scoring guard at UK (started four seasons early on in  the extended seasons era).

Erik Murphy recovered from the freshman car break in incident in St. A. (same one for which the student manager who was supposed to be shadowing Murphy gave a rant caught on police recording, "We're not in Gainesville!").  One of Florida's all-time greats.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on September 26, 2014, 10:15:18 am
Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  15h

So, deal is Boston's Keith Bogans to Cleveland for Dwight Powell, Erik Murphy, Malcolm Thomas, John Lucas III and a pair of 2nd-round picks.

Keith Bogans is the all-time leading scoring guard at UK (started four seasons early on in  the extended seasons era).

Erik Murphy recovered from the freshman car break in incident in St. A. (same one for which the student manager who was supposed to be shadowing Murphy gave a rant caught on police recording, "We're not in Gainesville!").  One of Florida's all-time greats.

Keith Bogans celebrated his induction into the 2014 University of Kentucky Hall of Fame this afternoon with Kentucky fans at halftime of the football game. Moments after Bogans waved to a roaring crowd, reports came out that he had been traded to the Philadelphia 76ers. The news comes just days after Bogans was traded to the Cavaliers.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  Sep 26
Rajon Rondo broke his hand yesterday, had surgery today and is expected to miss 6-8 weeks, source told ESPN.

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  Sep 26
Good news for Celtics fans is lottery pick Marcus Smart will get plenty of reps at point in training camp -- along with Phil Pressey.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  48 minutes ago

Bruce Pearl: "Chris Lofton was the best bad-ball shooter in college basketball. He took a lot of bad shots, but he made a bunch of him."

rusvegashog

Jbcarol I'm not sure if you're a media guy, contributor to this board or just a poster, but I always appreciate these little tidbits that u post. Preciate it. Bball can't get here quick enough. Watched the Grantland season tip-off show last night and its got me a bit amped.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on October 22, 2014, 02:58:31 pm
Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  48 minutes ago

Bruce Pearl: "Chris Lofton was the best bad-ball shooter in college basketball. He took a lot of bad shots, but he made a bunch of him."

From 2006; Bruce Almighty? In Mason County, maybe ...

QuoteDespite repeated whining from a segment of the UK fanbase who were (a) intent on bringing in Kentucky's best player and (b) apparently not paying attention to the two Kentucky Mr. Basketballs whiling away on the UK bench, Tubby opted not to offer a scholarship to Mason County's sharpshooting guard Chris Lofton. Lofton had led his team to the state title as a junior and was far and away the best prep senior in the state. So, with no hard feelings -- he has said anyway -- he went to hated rival Tennessee instead.

Like many Kentucky high school hoops heroes, he was not an overwhelming athlete. Hidden in that frame, however, was the heart of a lion, and all Lofton has done is set the freshman record for threepointers in a season, average 17+ points per contest, win an NCAA game on a last second shot and earn first-team All-SEC honors. For much of Mason County, who think of Lofton as a collective son, it was sweet vindication.

So when Pearl came calling a second time, this go-around to establish recruiting roots with the newest Mason County superstar, things got a little weird.

Despite being in the bluest of blue areas of the Bluegrass, Mason County got its orange on. It presented Pearl with a hero's welcome, and honored him as a Kentucky Colonel (NOTE: Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but I know several Kentucky Colonels ... one is an RV salesman, another a barber ... my point? Maybe those aren't that hard to come by ... ). This royal treatment has irked some UK diehards, who, for whatever reason, feel betrayed by the actions of the Lofton-ites.

The irony here is that what is getting some Big Blue fans so irate is the sense of betrayal and disloyalty they feel. This is the heart of Wildcat Country to them. And going Orange, as it were, is as bad as going Louisville Red.

But loyalty is all this is, as a favorite son has found his calling on the other side of an imaginary state line. However gaudy and overzealous the people of Mason County's actions are -- and they are a bit much -- calls for action and letter writing only further cement in people's minds that Kentucky fans are an overly sensitive bunch whose passion could be easily mistaken for self-righteousness.

Perhaps most interesting is that Lofton himself has more or less absolved himself of the whole thing. After returning to Rupp Arena, the location of his greatest prep triumphs, to stick a dagger in the heart of the Wildcats with a 31-point performance that sent the Cats even deeper into a tailspin, Lofton was serene, not strutting. As usual, it was the fans getting caught up in the process, not the kids themselves.

For the record, Tubby Smith has expressed regret that he didn't pursue Lofton harder...

jbcarol

Sheldon Mickles @MicklesAdvocate  ·  16 hours ago

#LSU has six former players on NBA rosters http://blogs.theadvocate.com/fullcourtpress/2014/10/28/lsu-has-six-former-players-on-nba-rosters/ ...

QuoteFour of the six are Baton Rouge natives: Brandon Bass (Capitol) and Marcus Thornton (Tara) are now teammates with the Boston Celtics, while Garrett Temple and Glen Davis (University High) are with the Washington Wizards and Los Angeles Clippers, respectively.

Also making Opening Day rosters were Justin Hamilton with the Miami Heat and Johnny O'Bryant III with the Milwaukee Bucks.

O'Bryant, a second-round pick of the Bucks in June, starts the season on the injured list...

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  12 hours ago

Nice to see former #Gator Al Horford w double-double (12 pt, 13 rb) in season debut w Hawks. Coming off season-ending pec injury.

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  ·  Oct 28

Former Vol Tobias Harris had 25 points and eight rebounds in the Magic's season-opening loss to New Orleans tonight.

jbcarol

UK's all-time #1?

[vine]OO2hHDqw63D[/vine]
LeaguePassAlert