Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Garrido steps down

Started by ucahogfan, May 30, 2016, 11:36:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersD1  · 10m10 minutes ago 

Well, I guess Texas found a way to be a part of Selection Day in the end. What a pitiful time to release that news.

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersD1  · 7m7 minutes ago 

Will have hot board on the @Texas_Baseball news. Texas has one primary target in mind, and it's an elite. And they will get him IMO. #HookEm

Aaron Fitt ‏@aaronfitt  · 2m2 minutes ago 

And that is disgraceful timing, @Texas_Baseball. You push out a coaching legend right in the middle of the selection show? Classy...

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersD1  · 13m13 minutes ago 

BREAKING: @Texas_Baseball HC Augie Garrido has been reassigned to another job in the athletic department. #HookEm

WhenPigsFly

Who's the elite guy?  O'Sullivan?

hawgnosticator

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 30, 2016, 11:36:33 am
Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersD1  · 10m10 minutes ago 

Well, I guess Texas found a way to be a part of Selection Day in the end. What a pitiful time to release that news.

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersD1  · 7m7 minutes ago 

Will have hot board on the @Texas_Baseball news. Texas has one primary target in mind, and it's an elite. And they will get him IMO. #HookEm

Aaron Fitt ‏@aaronfitt  · 2m2 minutes ago 

And that is disgraceful timing, @Texas_Baseball. You push out a coaching legend right in the middle of the selection show? Classy...

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersD1  · 13m13 minutes ago 

BREAKING: @Texas_Baseball HC Augie Garrido has been reassigned to another job in the athletic department. #HookEm

Texas is as Texas does. Arrogant tea sips

TebowHater

ucahogfan

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on May 30, 2016, 11:38:49 am
Who's the elite guy?  O'Sullivan?
I saw his name pop up in a tweet, and he would fit the elite coach bill.

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 30, 2016, 12:11:47 pm
I saw his name pop up in a tweet, and he would fit the elite coach bill.

I saw his name pop up too.  This would probably be better for Arkansas.  Sullivan has Florida rolling and there is no way their next coach does as well.  Texas already recruits plenty well, so if they start playing well and winning in a different conference than that isn't our problem if Florida isn't quite as elite. 

Knot2brite

From reading the Texas boards I am getting the idea they want O'sullivan or schlossnagle or the guy from DBU....I am sure they are targeting O'Sullivan....he is younger and has a reputation for recruiting and running a good program. Florida is pissing away a good coach because they won't support the program he is building...it is a shame ...if DVH was to leave I would hope that O'Sullivan would be at the top of the list to target
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

ucahogfan

Quote from: Knot2brite on May 30, 2016, 02:17:09 pm
From reading the Texas boards I am getting the idea they want O'sullivan or schlossnagle or the guy from DBU....I am sure they are targeting O'Sullivan....he is younger and has a reputation for recruiting and running a good program. Florida is pissing away a good coach because they won't support the program he is building...it is a shame ...if DVH was to leave I would hope that O'Sullivan would be at the top of the list to target
O'Sullivan and Schlossnagle fit into the elite category that Kendall Rogers talked about while Heefner does not.  I could easily see O'Sullivan leaving Florida for Texas because of the lack of support by Foley and the Florida athletic department of the baseball program.

He should probably make his 5th trip to Omaha with the Gators since 2010.

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 30, 2016, 02:34:11 pm
O'Sullivan and Schlossnagle fit into the elite category that Kendall Rogers talked about while Heefner does not.  I could easily see O'Sullivan leaving Florida for Texas because of the lack of support by Foley and the Florida athletic department of the baseball program.

He should probably make his 5th trip to Omaha with the Gators since 2010.

It doesn't make me shed a tear for Florida. 

If Texas went after the DBU coach, nothing would make me happier. 

If you're Texas, I don't see how your first four calls aren't to:
Brian O'Connor
Kevin O'Sullivan
Tim Corin
John Savage

I think Savage probably tells you no first since he seems like a west coast guy, but he gets no support at that program either. 

As far as the rest... just seems like the three hottest names, and all at places that either get less support, less money, or less prestige. 

I would love the Texas job.  There are no other power houses in that conference and you'll outspend everyone.  In the SEC you can go from CWS to out of the post season in one year (MSU, Ark, etc. )... but at Texas... that Texas Tech team is a national seed in the big 12. 

DZ

Quote from: dotnet on May 30, 2016, 03:08:49 pm
It doesn't make me shed a tear for Florida. 

If Texas went after the DBU coach, nothing would make me happier. 

If you're Texas, I don't see how your first four calls aren't to:
Brian O'Connor
Kevin O'Sullivan
Tim Corin
John Savage

I think Savage probably tells you no first since he seems like a west coast guy, but he gets no support at that program either. 

As far as the rest... just seems like the three hottest names, and all at places that either get less support, less money, or less prestige. 

I would love the Texas job.  There are no other power houses in that conference and you'll outspend everyone.  In the SEC you can go from CWS to out of the post season in one year (MSU, Ark, etc. )... but at Texas... that Texas Tech team is a national seed in the big 12.

I asked awhile back why wouldn't texas look at Corbin and O'Sullivan instead of DVH, and all I heard was reasons why neither would leave.

Maddhog

Quote from: DZ on May 31, 2016, 11:51:59 am
I asked awhile back why wouldn't texas look at Corbin and O'Sullivan instead of DVH, and all I heard was reasons why neither would leave.

Wouldn't mind one bit if they hired florida's coach. 
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

pigture perfect

I hate Texas and I'm not interested in being their next head coach. If I am offered the job, I may take it just to see if I can get them on probation or something. P-P.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ucahogfan

Per Kendall Rogers, O'Sullivan has withdrawn from consideration and will stay at Florida.  Rumor is now the Longhorns will move on to O'Connor at UVA.

westside_player

Your not talking about this Garrido are you?

NSFW. NOT SAFE FOR WORK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jICvEEqOtEg

batonrougehawg

jacobp

Quote from: batonrougehawg on June 16, 2016, 12:56:14 pm
Apparently Texas is making a run after Mainieri. lsu has reportedly countered with a raise for Mainieri.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/16125663-123/report-texas-approaches-lsu-baseball-coach-paul-mainieri-about-longhorns-vacancy
Texas search is becoming a joke at this point. Everyone is turning them Down.

It's like their football program. They are the 4h or 5th best program in the state

jry04

June 17, 2016, 07:47:00 am #16 Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:00:57 am by jry04
Quote from: jacobp on June 17, 2016, 07:00:11 am

It's like their football program. They are the 4h or 5th best program in the state
Definitely not true. A little much to say the search is becoming a joke when they went after 2 of the best coaches in the country, one being at probably the only other program that is better. Texas is probably the 2nd best job in the country after LSU. Supposedly Savage at UCLA or Casey at Oregon State want the job, but those are their 3rd and 4th options. Hardly a joke when your 3rd and 4th options are two of the better coaches in the country. Texas will be back to being a top 3 Big 12 team annually if they hire one of their top 5 targets.

If DVH were to leave or retire and we went after a guy at the current #1 team with 5 CWS, and another guy who has been to 5 CWS including a championship, but missed out on them, would you really consider the search a joke? Both coaches have been to 5 CWS, and are premiere coaches.

jry04

June 17, 2016, 11:51:55 am #17 Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 02:23:21 pm by jry04
Well, now Casey says he isn't taking the job. Who knows if he was really offered, though. Could be like a Gundy situation in football when he said he was staying at OK ST instead of coming here, when he was NEVER even offered our job.

Quote from: jacobp on June 17, 2016, 07:00:11 am

ok I take everything back that I ever said. KR said those 2 were interested, and would be locked down if Texas whiffed on the bigger targets. Now, they have whiffed on those two. They are running out of reasonable top options.

hobhog

I'm in Dallas for the weekend and just read in Dallas Morning News that DVH, among others, is a candidate now that UCLA coach turned them down.

Dr. Starcs

Dvh I'm sure doesn't take kindly to being 5th or 10th guy on their list.

Maddhog

I cannot imagine DVH throwing up a Hook'em.   Seriously, DVH seems fully engaged with and excited about his new pitching coach, returning players and our signing class. 

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersD1  · 2h2 hours ago 

DVH wouldn't leave Arkansas .. At all. Plus haven't heard his name.

Knot2brite

Hmmmm.....wondered when DVH was going to be mentioned...I really hoped that one of the first couple picks would take the job...there was a time when I truly believed that DVH would never take that job. I am not as convinced any more
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

TebowHater

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 18, 2016, 10:00:32 am
Dvh I'm sure doesn't take kindly to being 5th or 10th guy on their list.

He probably doesn't take kindly to making significantly less than Jimmy Dykes, despite having a significantly superior program by every metric (including revenue) for the past 15 years. We may have to give him a significant raise, at a minimum.

Max pay:
* $832,000 for women's basketball coach Jimmy Dykes.

* $588,600 for baseball coach Dave Van Horn

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2016/06/16/after-stadium-vote-dozens-of-pay-raises-for-athletics

Dr. Starcs

Dykes makes that much?!?!  Holy smokes, did not realize the discrepancy.

ricepig

June 18, 2016, 02:35:56 pm #25 Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 02:47:19 pm by ricepig
Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 18, 2016, 02:24:57 pm
Dykes makes that much?!?!  Holy smokes, did not realize the discrepancy.

Only if he wins a SEC championship and a National Championship, that's his line item maximum. He makes $450,000 per his contract. DVH makes $700,000 with his Easton contract.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/nov/07/van-horn-gets-extension-cws-run/

Maddhog

I've heard rumblings of issues between Long and DVH.  If he should leave, I don't think money will be the big factor.   He is the most popular and highly respected coachi on The Hill (by a long shot) and it would be devastating to lose him.  Especially to the horns. 

Kevin

Quote from: TebowHater on June 18, 2016, 02:17:59 pm
He probably doesn't take kindly to making significantly less than Jimmy Dykes, despite having a significantly superior program by every metric (including revenue) for the past 15 years. We may have to give him a significant raise, at a minimum.

Max pay:
* $832,000 for women's basketball coach Jimmy Dykes.

* $588,600 for baseball coach Dave Van Horn

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2016/06/16/after-stadium-vote-dozens-of-pay-raises-for-athletics

Those need to be reversed
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on June 18, 2016, 03:06:05 pm
Those need to be reversed

That's because they are, in the real world.

hobhog

Quote from: Maddhog on June 18, 2016, 02:53:45 pm
I've heard rumblings of issues between Long and DVH.  If he should leave, I don't think money will be the big factor.   He is the most popular and highly respected coachi on The Hill (by a long shot) and it would be devastating to lose him.  Especially to the horns.

Heard Rumblings. Sounds like a hear say Wally Hall column.....

Dr. Starcs

Ok, I misread the max part.

ricepig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 18, 2016, 04:14:37 pm
Ok, I misread the max part.

So did Max Brantley, but he fancies himself as a reporter. Kevin Trainor enlightened him to it.

Maddhog

Quote from: hobhog on June 18, 2016, 03:55:58 pm
Heard Rumblings. Sounds like a hear say Wally Hall column

I have no intention of repeating the rumors but anyone who has closely followed the program for 25 years will hear about the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.   There's way more Good and I think DVH will retire here. 

Maddhog

^^^ Oops, I screw up the quote feature more than anyone.