Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ed Aschoff on Sportscenter

Started by checkraiser88, November 24, 2017, 10:26:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

Gus Malzahn likely to Arkansas if they lose to Bama, saying him and Auburn would find a way to mutually part ways.

WilsonHog

If Auburn loses the Iron Bowl after all of the "Gus to Arkansas" speculation, it will get mighty uncomfortable in Opelika.

checkraiser88

He also mentioned Vendables(spelling?) as a backup plan

Hollywood870

So for Gus this is a lose and get out of town game, and also a win and sign a big new contract game? Weird huh.

checkraiser88

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 24, 2017, 10:33:25 pm
So for Gus this is a lose and get out of town game, and also a win and sign a big new contract game? Weird huh.

Iron bowl, spot on

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HF#1

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 24, 2017, 10:29:41 pm
If Auburn loses the Iron Bowl after all of the "Gus to Arkansas" speculation, it will get mighty uncomfortable in Opelika.

Why you say that?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

WilsonHog

Quote from: HF#1 on November 24, 2017, 10:36:40 pm
Why you say that?

Because the perception on the Plains will be that Auburn lost a chance to be in the Playoff due to Gus flirting with our job, whether he did or not.

clutch

Why you say that?

Because Auburn fans are going to blame the loss on the distraction. He may not have a choice but to leave if they lose if the fans start playing that narrative. It could be tough on him if he tried to stay.

Arkansas Fan

Hollywood870

Why you say that?
They'll probably say it was a distraction. They will be unhappy with Gus for looking for a job the last time they were about to fire him.

Atlhogfan1

Time to make our Mike Anderson hire in football. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Torqued pork

I think Auburn wins comfortably.

checkraiser88

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 24, 2017, 10:40:59 pm
I think Auburn wins comfortably.

Go ahead and bet that spread against Bama big dog

jgphillips3

Does this "Gus only comes if he loses" not bother anyone else?  He should either want our job or not.  It shouldn't be down to us only getting him if they run him out.  Hell, if that's the only way he will come, I don't want him at all.  Now, I can understand a coach taking another job on condition that he can finish his games at the prior school...if they will let him...but we deserve to be more than a backup plan.

thebignasty

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 24, 2017, 10:49:01 pm
Does this "Gus only comes if he loses" not bother anyone else?  He should either want our job or not.  It shouldn't be down to us only getting him if they run him out.  Hell, if that's the only way he will come, I don't want him at all.  Now, I can understand a coach taking another job on condition that he can finish his games at the prior school...if they will let him...but we deserve to be more than a backup plan.

I dont love it.

I hate the lil ole arkysaw folks, but getting pumped about a coach who only wants to come here if he's getting run out of town at his old job is and expression of that syndrome if anything is.

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WilsonHog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 24, 2017, 10:49:01 pm

I think it's a matter of timing. If he loses tomorrow, the window is open. If he wins tomorrow and loses the following Saturday, the window is still open. However, I would not expect us to wait until Auburn is eliminated from the playoffs or wins the national title for us to name him as coach, nor would I expect him to forego an opportunity to win a national title just to become our coach.

RebHog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 24, 2017, 10:54:16 pm
I think it's a matter of timing. If he loses tomorrow, the window is open. If he wins tomorrow and loses the following Saturday, the window is still open. However, I would not expect us to wait until Auburn is eliminated from the playoffs or wins the national title for us to name him as coach, nor would I expect him to forego an opportunity to win a national title just to become our coach.

Agree with this seccountry lead headline has norvell face posted with Arkansas article.

headline atm....   https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-coach-candidates-bret-bielema

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 24, 2017, 10:33:25 pm
Do you blame him or envy him?  You have to admit it is a great spot.

The Boar War

Exactly. 

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: thebignasty on November 24, 2017, 10:52:56 pm
I dont love it.

I hate the lil ole arkysaw folks, but getting pumped about a coach who only wants to come here if he's getting run out of town at his old job is and expression of that syndrome if anything is.
So, so, so lost. It's about what's best for Arkansas. The man has a top 10 job. He has them in the running for a NC. He's wanting to come here if he can't win it. We're a borderline top 25 job. Wake up. It will benefit us! He's whooped our ass 4 out of 5 years. Do you want him to keep whooping it? Check his credentials. Give me another legitimate candidate that has them.

Hollywood870

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 24, 2017, 10:59:28 pm
Do you blame him or envy him?  You have to admit it is a great spot.
Nah, it's good for him. Just funny how it's working out. I'd be happy with Norvell, I'm just worried about defense and I think Gus would be a better recruiter. I could be wrong.

jgphillips3

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2017, 10:53:51 pm
Why?

Are you just being an ass or you really don't understand the statement?  I'll use an example.  You deserve a wife who chooses you, not a wife who says I'll marry you but only if this other guy falls through.  Does that make it clearer?  We don't have to be a coach's 'dream job', but we deserve one that says "I choose you over what I have" not "I'm about to get fired so I'll take it." 

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 24, 2017, 10:40:47 pm

He should be told he can only have the job if he wins the Alabama game and the SEC championship.  We don't want another loser.   :)

hogsanity

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 24, 2017, 11:07:18 pm
Are you just being an ass or you really don't understand the statement?  I'll use an example.  You deserve a wife who chooses you, not a wife who says I'll marry you but only if this other guy falls through.  Does that make it clearer?  We don't have to be a coach's 'dream job', but we deserve one that says "I choose you over what I have" not "I'm about to get fired so I'll take it." 

Again, does not mean the Hogs DESERVE that. Are we so desperate that we are willing to let someone treat us that way? Call Gus' agent, tell him he has to decide BEFORE the Aub/Bama game kicks off.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 24, 2017, 11:07:18 pm
If you're actually comparing this business of college football to getting married then you are unbelievably ignorant. This isn't a love story. If somebody pays their wife 4-5 million a year to get married I'd call her a whore. This guy is actually wanting to downgrade. Auburn is a better job. That's not inferiority complex, it's common knowledge.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2017, 11:11:34 pm
Again, does not mean the Hogs DESERVE that. Are we so desperate that we are willing to let someone treat us that way? Call Gus' agent, tell him he has to decide BEFORE the Aub/Bama game kicks off.
It's about what's best for us, not what we deserve.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 24, 2017, 11:03:40 pm
Nah, it's good for him. Just funny how it's working out. I'd be happy with Norvell, I'm just worried about defense and I think Gus would be a better recruiter. I could be wrong.

Gus is used to recruiting to Auburn, not that hard. Norvell is used to recruiting to a smaller place that's hard to bring talent to. Which sounds like the better fit for Arkansas?

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 24, 2017, 11:18:15 pm
Gus is used to recruiting to Auburn, not that hard. Norvell is used to recruiting to a smaller place that's hard to bring talent to. Which sounds like the better fit for Arkansas?
He's been there for two years. We don't even know if he can recruit and sustain a winning program. He walked into a winner.

Drop the Mike

and the winner of this whole situation is...

Jimmy Sexton

Paul

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on November 24, 2017, 11:16:18 pm
If you're actually comparing this business of college football to getting married then you are unbelievably ignorant. This isn't a love story. If somebody pays their wife 4-5 million a year to get married I'd call her a whore. This guy is actually wanting to downgrade. Auburn is a better job. That's not inferiority complex, it's common knowledge.
in this scenario both participants are whores

jgphillips3

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2017, 11:11:34 pm

Honestly, that's what I would do.  I would tell him he doesn't have to make it public but he has to tell us yes or we move on.

WilsonHog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 24, 2017, 11:33:09 pm
Honestly, that's what I would do.  I would tell him he doesn't have to make it public but he has to tell us yes or we move on.

And if he told us that, then beat Auburn and Georgia, would you be good with us waiting until after the Tigers were eliminated from the playoffs to name him as coach?

JONAS

Quote from: Drop the Mike on November 24, 2017, 11:30:24 pm
and the winner of this whole situation is...

Jimmy Sexton

Is Sexton Novell's agent?

onebadrubi

Hawg Life

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ChicoHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 24, 2017, 10:40:47 pm
Hopefully won't take him nearly as long to get things going.  And play better defense! 

Seriously, it sounds like Malzahn is coming if Bama wins.  If Auburn wins then who knows?  I really want Venables but I could not stand to see Auburn make the playoff. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 25, 2017, 12:25:11 am
Hopefully won't take him nearly as long to get things going.  And play better defense! 

Seriously, it sounds like Malzahn is coming if Bama wins.  If Auburn wins then who knows?  I really want Venables but I could not stand to see Auburn make the playoff.

RTR. I always pull for Bama in this game and will again. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HogNTX

This is the way I see the whole lose and he's ours win and he's not. It's all timing built in with recruiting.

hawgbawb

Auburn has a lot more pressure, too. And I'd take Fayetteville over Aubarn in a heartbeat.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

FANONTHEHILL

I would love for Gus to come home.  That being said, Brent Venables is my #1 choice.  I believe that championship programs build assistants into championships caliber head coaches.  That's what Kirby Smart has become at Georgia.  Venables was a major part of Clemson's championship run last year and their defense has been one of the top in the country the last four years. He had similar results at OU.  The major factor in wanting Venables stems from his time at OU.  He consistently raided east Texas and brought talent to Norman.  Arkansas must reestablish a recruiting presence in Texas to succeed. Venables can do that. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Pork Twain

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 24, 2017, 10:38:35 pm
Because the perception on the Plains will be that Auburn lost a chance to be in the Playoff due to Gus flirting with our job, whether he did or not.
Agreed, it would be no different than we used to feel when HDN was flirty with other jobs and/or reporters or when CBP was nailing the volleyball team.  It makes for a VERY easy target.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Broadway Rob

Quote from: checkraiser88 on November 24, 2017, 10:32:53 pm
He also mentioned Vendables(spelling?) as a backup plan

I hope this is true, because I think the Gus talk is a pipe dream.  I don't doubt he's been offered, but I don't think he'll take it. 

BV is a stud recruiter and even though he's pulling most of his commitments from the East Coast, he is also still heavily in Oklahoma and Texas.  I think he could recruit here. 
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Dominicanhog

I'll predict that ESPN is wrong on all accounts and it's none of the 3  Gus, BV or MN....

Broadway Rob

Here's a good and real analogy:

As a Realtor, when I get into a tough deal that is extremely stressful and falling through, I often will think about going back into teaching where there's less pressure.  Even though, teaching was a tougher job, it didn't keep me up at night wondering how I can keep it together. 

HOWEVER:  99% of the time, I can keep the deal in tact and it closes.  The thought of going back to teaching is far far from my mind, and I'm on to the next home sale.

The Point:
The pressure may be getting to GUS and he may be considering coming back to AR where there's less pressure.  But beating Georgia and having a chance to go to the playoff if he wins out, will keep him at Auburn. 

IDK what happens if he loses today, but I do know the ups and downs of a high pressure job.  The run away thoughts are only temporary.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Tim Harris

woodrow hog call

Quote from: thebignasty on November 24, 2017, 10:52:56 pm
I dont love it.

Doesn't bother me because it's not true, he's coming win or lose.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"