Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grad Transfer?

Started by TuffTusk, February 21, 2017, 11:48:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TuffTusk

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/2/18/14660284/clemson-transfer-scott-pagano-schools?yptr=yahoo

Noticed we made his list.  Chances seem slim according to the article.  Seems the new coaches are workin it

Already posted in MMQB.
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time

jacobp

He's visiting, so the possibility is still there

Pig in the Pokey

Let's start this off with a bang, Coach Scott!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: TuffTusk on February 21, 2017, 11:48:02 am
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/2/18/14660284/clemson-transfer-scott-pagano-schools?yptr=yahoo

Noticed we made his list.  Chances seem slim according to the article.  Seems the new coaches are workin it

Already posted in MMQB.
Not to burst your bubble as far as this post; however, another thread with lengthy discussion in MMQB.

Dirty

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 21, 2017, 12:27:55 pm
Not to burst your bubble as far as this post; however, another thread with lengthy discussion in MMQB.

He already stated there is a thread in MMQB! Hate to bust your bubble!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Dirty on February 21, 2017, 12:44:09 pm
He already stated there is a thread in MMQB! Hate to bust your bubble!
Well excusssssseeee me! Obviously overlooked the last bit of his post. My bad.

The_Boot_stops_here

Arkansas is in Pagano's top 5

ricepig

HogFoo

It looks like we are the only school from the SEC that made the cut.  I think that bodes well for us.  Well that is if the kid wants to play in the toughest conference in america.    We sure could use the help on our DLine.   From reading about the kid, he sounds smart.  Says he is researching the schools depth, where he might get a chance at starting position,  etc..   here's to hoping he's a hog.  :razorback: :razorback: 8)
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

HogFoo

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 21, 2017, 10:48:20 pm
He played in the toughest conference last year and did well. ACC was better than SEC last year, at least top half. Have heard he wants to head West, but he would be a key cog up front in us moving to the 3-4 and could definitely garner some attention. I don't expect to get him, but it sure would be sweet if we did!
Oregon is the only west coast team I saw on his latest list.  So don't know how accurate the heading west theory is. 

I'd say the SEC was down a bit, but top to bottom is still the toughest.  When teams lose more players to the draft every single year than any other conf. It eventually does catch up.  But, even then, look at the recruiting rankings.  The hogs had their best recruiting class since joining the SEC and we still finished what, 9th in the SEC?  Clemson may have won the title but that doesn't mean the ACC was the best conf.  Just saying. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

bennyl08

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 21, 2017, 02:35:06 pm
Well excusssssseeee me! Obviously overlooked the last bit of his post. My bad.

You sound like Jar Jar when you type excuse like that. If you are going for Steve Martin, then, well, excuuuuuuuuuse me!

:) ;) :D ;D 8) :P
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HogFoo

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 21, 2017, 11:19:17 pm
And they might be the favorite seeing as he's from Hawaii. Yea, I obviously agree it was down this year soldiering it's usually pretty undisputed that it's the best and in my opinion, I don't think it was this past year. Top to bottom, probably still tougher than any other league. That's why it sucks we're in the SEC West. But the ACC is closing the gap and as I mentioned, I think their top half was better than SEC top half this year, and not just because of Clemson. Regardless, he obviously helped Clemson and won a Natty. That kind of experience, especially at a position that wasn't addressed in this years recruiting, is always welcome!
Definitely could use this kids experience.   The coaches didn't go super hard after DLINE guys in this last class because they felt they already had the guys on campus.  This upcoming class is where we'll see a lot of OLINE and DLINE recruits.   I think the hogs have an excellent shot at getting this kid.  This kid is doing his research to see where he'd have a shot to start immediately.   I'm sure he's also looking at how well the school looks in terms of potential for next season record.  Which i feel the Hogs will have a good season. Definitely have a good shot.  Whether he makes here , who knows.  Hope so.  Could definitely use good solid players .  That's for sure.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 21, 2017, 11:23:01 pm
You sound like Jar Jar when you type excuse like that. If you are going for Steve Martin, then, well, excuuuuuuuuuse me!

:) ;) :D ;D 8) :P
The latter. Glad to see you're old enough to even remember who the heck he is. Besides, mistakes happen for all of us sometimes. I've certainly never been above "outing" myself when I make (an occasional) one.

TexasRazorback

We made Pagano's top 5. Official Visit set for April 7th

outlawhogeywells

which two teams were eliminated from his original 7

yraciv

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on February 24, 2017, 09:52:01 am
which two teams were eliminated from his original 7

Notre Dame March 24
Oklahoma March 31
Arkansas April 7
Oregon April 2
Texas April 14

These are his set visits. He hasn't technically ruled out Cal & Nebraska yet, but hasn't set anything.

lumphog

I'm worried about Oklahoma.....they "pay" pretty good

bville_hog

Quote from: lumphog on February 24, 2017, 10:13:36 am
I'm worried about Oklahoma.....they "pay" pretty good

why did you put pay in quotes?

I mustache you a question

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 24, 2017, 12:01:24 pm
Most worried about Notre Dame. Don't know why, just get a feeling.

Oregon scares me the most as he is from Hawaii and that would be closer to home!
"I have 2 weapons; my arms, my legs and my brain." – Michael Vick

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: I mustache you a question on February 24, 2017, 12:44:14 pm
Oregon scares me the most as he is from Hawaii and that would be closer to home!
dude, that doesn't matter at all!! 6 hour flight to Arkansas. 4.5 hour flight to Oregon.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

The_Boot_stops_here

OU gives him the best shot at playing for a NC for his last season.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 24, 2017, 02:50:42 pm

Clemson gave him the best shot at playing for a NC his last season.

Vantage 8 dude

And of course you're apparently assuming that would be the major deciding factor in whatever program he ends up choosing. Absolutely no proof of such. I read somewhere that much of it might also depend on the atmosphere of the school, team, staff, etc. If that's indeed the case then any one of those could end up being his final destination.

Oklahawg

Would seem that isn't the priority right now.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

King Kong

Quote from: ricepig on February 24, 2017, 04:33:48 pm

Owned

Ramboar

Who would've that you would have brought Chokelahoma into a thread. I wish I could meet you. All I need is 5 minutes, I could straighten you up.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

Pig in the Pokey

umm, how would that be a priority at all? He JUST won a national title...
@Slackaveli

The_Boot_stops_here

Lord almighty, you all are literally bat $h!t crazy. I have no idea if its a priority for him. Everyone was just commenting on what worried them about the teams in his top 5. It was just an observation about why maybe OU would be appealing. Chill

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 24, 2017, 08:54:45 pm
Lord almighty, you all are literally bat $h!t crazy. I have no idea if its a priority for him. Everyone was just commenting on what worried them about the teams in his top 5. It was just an observation about why maybe OU would be appealing. Chill

I guess you didn't read this....."I met with Scott Pagano (Thursday). We had a good talk and he told me about his intentions to be a graduate transfer for his final year of eligibility. I told him to think about it overnight. We all wanted him to stay, but he said he had accomplished everything he wanted to do at Clemson. He came here to graduate and win a national championship and he achieved both within the last two months," Swinney said.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on February 24, 2017, 09:22:17 pm
I guess you didn't read this....."I met with Scott Pagano (Thursday). We had a good talk and he told me about his intentions to be a graduate transfer for his final year of eligibility. I told him to think about it overnight. We all wanted him to stay, but he said he had accomplished everything he wanted to do at Clemson. He came here to graduate and win a national championship and he achieved both within the last two months," Swinney said.

Nope, hadn't seen that Swinney quote. Again, I have no idea what his motivations are. I had read where playing out west was important to him but now only 1 of his final 5 is really "out west" so who knows. Again, it was just a thought. Lord knows I'd love to see him helping us in the middle next year.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Why Blow-klahoma? Not going to win a championship next year but they'll probably win their crippled conference.

They should. It's terrible.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 24, 2017, 09:43:57 pm
Nope, hadn't seen that Swinney quote. Again, I have no idea what his motivations are. I had read where playing out west was important to him but now only 1 of his final 5 is really "out west" so who knows. Again, it was just a thought. Lord knows I'd love to see him helping us in the middle next year.
Oh, so you hadn't read the link in the OP, figures .

Oklahawg

Alternative Geography: Oklahoma is "out west".
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on February 24, 2017, 10:01:39 pm
Oh, so you hadn't read the link in the OP, figures .

Nope, no reason to. It was already outdated by the time it was posted. He had already named a top 5 and that article was about his top 7. Why are you trying to make something out of nothing?  There isn't anything to argue about here. It's a little strange, frankly.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 24, 2017, 10:07:35 pm
Alternative Geography: Oklahoma is "out west".
no but Oregon is

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 25, 2017, 08:36:52 am
Nope, no reason to. It was already outdated by the time it was posted. He had already named a top 5 and that article was about his top 7. Why are you trying to make something out of nothing?  There isn't anything to argue about here. It's a little strange, frankly.

Nobody's arguing, just presented facts, unlike some.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Good luck to us.
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on February 25, 2017, 08:50:16 am
Nobody's arguing, just presented facts, unlike some.

Lol. Ok. The consumate contrarian.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on February 25, 2017, 09:02:37 am
Good luck to us.
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

No doubt. Would be a very nice addition

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on February 24, 2017, 04:33:48 pm

Maybe this transfer is more about increased playing time and positioning himself for the draft? I don't know and haven't researched his statements on the reason for his transfer but like you, I would think that if he wanted another good shot at playing for a NC, it would have been wise to stick at Clemson where he is already established and has a good team behind him.
Go Hogs Go!

sowmonella

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 25, 2017, 09:49:11 am
Maybe this transfer is more about increased playing time and positioning himself for the draft? I don't know and haven't researched his statements on the reason for his transfer but like you, I would think that if he wanted another good shot at playing for a NC, it would have been wise to stick at Clemson where he is already established and has a good team behind him.

Coach Scott with his NFL experience might help us.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on February 24, 2017, 09:22:17 pm

And he just ran out of bubble gum!
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

tophawg19

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 25, 2017, 09:49:11 am
I think you are on the right track. playing time is very important
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Mike_e

Sounds to me as if he's grooming himself for the League.

From Richards artificial who he's around is also important to him.  I'm sayin we have a good chance.

Not that I really have much to say about it.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

nwahogfan1

Did I miss something.  Why is he leaving a NC team?  Why not go Pro?  Another college challenge?  If it is to get closer to home I would think he would only consider West Coast teams. 

I am just puzzled to his thinking.  Regardless I would love to have him but just curious.

Grizzlyfan

So apparently no one here believes the quality of the graduate program plays any role in a grad transfer's decision.

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 28, 2017, 10:32:04 am
So apparently no one here believes the quality of the graduate program plays any role in a grad transfer's decision.

Well, I think it plays in for those who are more studious. One thing in the SEC, not sure about the other conferences, is when you take a grad transfer, they need to complete their graduate work, or you are barred from taking another one for a certain time length.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 28, 2017, 10:15:10 am
Did I miss something.  Why is he leaving a NC team?  Why not go Pro?  Another college challenge?  If it is to get closer to home I would think he would only consider West Coast teams. 

I am just puzzled to his thinking.  Regardless I would love to have him but just curious.
again, I'm not sure what map you people are using but the difference between a 4.5 hour flight and a 6 hour flight is negligible.
@Slackaveli

King Kong

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 28, 2017, 10:15:10 am

Dad is Military. I believe his family live in VA now. Of course he still my consider Hawaii home

As far as going Pro it appears he wants increased playing time in hope of improving his draft stock even more

Cleve Dean

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 28, 2017, 02:52:48 pm
again, I'm not sure what map you people are using but the difference between a 4.5 hour flight and a 6 hour flight is negligible.

Not sure what math you are using...

A flight from Portland, OR to Honolulu is 6 hours and 15 minutes. Non-stop. San Francisco and LA are both about 6 hours. Non-stop. Not sure where you are getting 4.5 hours.

A flight from XNA to Honolulu is 11 hours, minimum (including layovers). Most are 12-15 hours. There is no direct flight, so there's always at least one stop - many flights have two stops.

I have no idea whether the distance to Hawaii matters at all to this guy - but saying the travel time to Hawaii is "negligible" when comparing Arkansas to any west coast team is not anywhere close to accurate.