Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grant Out At Bama

Started by chiefhawg, March 15, 2015, 04:19:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  5m 5 minutes ago
What's next for Alabama basketball as focus turns to Bill Battle's coaching search?. http://ow.ly/KE5Ue

QuoteThe focus will turn squarely to his every move. He's been outside the team locker room after both NIT games in the wake of his decision to fire Grant. Battle, UA president Judy Bonner and athletics CFO Finus Gaston flew to Miami on Saturday morning to support the team. They sat about 15 rows behind the bench before greeting the team coming off the floor.

Where he goes with the hire will likely be the legacy for Battle. His four-year contract at Alabama was approved two years ago Sunday and this could be his biggest decision in office. Battle had little to say about the search before Saturday's loss to Miami, but it appears as if he'll be conducting it himself with advice from trusted Alabama figures with basketball ties.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  3h 3 hours ago
Relaxed Anthony Grant makes first public appearance since Alabama firing. http://ow.ly/KEH27

QuoteA guest analyst on Turner Sports' broadcast of the NCAA Tournament, Grant made his debut in the 4 p.m. Sunday pregame show that spanned an hour. Though he didn't seem fully comfortable in media settings at Alabama, Grant was relaxed and insightful in the live telecast.

One of four on the set, Grant smiled and cracked jokes with fellow analysts. He was not asked about, nor did he address the circumstances surrounding his departure at Alabama.

"I really enjoy the tournament," Grant said after being introduced early in the show. "I tell our guys ― I used to tell our guys that it changes lives, really. ... I went through it as a coach and I know the impact it had on my life and the opportunities that I had. This time of year, you really enjoy it."

Grant made three NCAA Tournaments as a head coach, two at VCU before making the 2012 event with Alabama.

On the set, Grant was joined by host Matt Winer and analysts Mateen Cleaves and Seth Davis.

Grant went on to relay a story about Alabama football coach Nick Saban not allowing his players to use the word "hot" during preseason practice to prove a point about coaching.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  1h 1 hour ago

Bill Battle explains process of Anthony Grant firing, nearly announced his return at one point. http://ow.ly/Lpn27

QuoteBattle said he met with Grant after the team went 3-5 against SEC competition in January. Battle suggested making announcement saying Grant would return for next season. Grant said they should hold off on any such proclamation at that point.

Grant, Battle said, wanted to let the season play out and address the situation after the year. The vote of confidence was Battle's plan to stop the unrest over the program's path.

"I felt like if I said something early ... the people who are going to be negative are going to stay negative, but there were a lot of people that really think a lot of Anthony and think a lot of the program," Battle told Finebaum's audience...

A few fans wore brown paper bags to an SEC game in Coleman Coliseum as confidence continued to sag. A disappointing 82-74 loss to Ole Miss on Senior Day had an announced crowd of 9,184, but the actual crowd was much smaller.

"As things happened the way they happened, the negativity grew and it just got to be a tough situation to turn around," Battle said.

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  22m 22 minutes ago

Anthony Grant takes assistant coaching job at Florida. http://ow.ly/LxL81

QuoteNearly a month after being fired at Alabama, Anthony Grant is returning to a former home.

Florida announced his hiring as an assistant coach Monday morning. He'll replace Matt McCall who was named head coach at Tennessee-Chattanooga on Sunday.

Grant spent 12 years on Billy Donovan's staff, the first two at Marshall before moving to Florida from 1996-2006. Grant took the Virginia Commonwealth head job after the Gators won the 2006 national title. He moved to Alabama in 2009, but was fired March 15 after six seasons and a 117-85 record in Tuscaloosa.

"Pretty easy call, man. It's all about relationships," Grant told Florida's official website, GatorZone.com. "Pretty much everyone in that office is like family to me. So this is like coming home. The way it all worked out? God has a plan." 

"Let's put it this way," Donovan said after beating Grant and Alabama, 69-61 in the SEC Tournament. Alabama better hope he comes back. That's what I would say." (sic)

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  4h 4 hours ago

Billy Donovan thinks too much of Anthony Grant to hire him as an act of charity. Good move for both of them. http://ow.ly/LB8tL

QuoteHow do you get to the Final Four from Alabama or Auburn?

One of two ways.

You make history - or you fail in the attempt and then move back in with your dad.

That's the snarky way to look at Anthony Grant taking the next step along the Tony Barbee career path when Grant accepted a job with his mentor Billy Donovan as an assistant coach at Florida. The smart way to look at it is the move makes perfect sense in so many ways...

The stakes are too high at Kentucky and Florida for Calipari or Donovan to waste a staff position...

jbcarol

Pat Dooley @pat_dooley

Told tonight Anthony Grant definitely following Billy D to OKC.
10:35 PM - 7 May 2015 · Gainesville, FL, United States

jbcarol

Matt Zenitz @mzenitz  ·  11h 11 hours ago

Ex-Alabama coach Anthony Grant heading to the NBA, report says http://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/index.ssf/2015/05/ex-alabama_coach_anthony_grant.html ...

QuoteAnthony Grant will go from coaching Levi Randolph and Rodney Cooper to working with NBA stars such as Russell Westbrook and possibly Kevin Durant.

Grant will join Billy Donovan's staff with the Oklahoma City Thunder...