Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big Creek g. & c.c. in Mt. Home

Started by pigture perfect, April 20, 2006, 04:38:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

is mentioned in Golf Digest (May 2006, pg 108) as one of the best places to play. I don't live far from there. Can anyone elaborate on what I might expect.

Others mentioned on the same page are Pebble Beach, Spy Glass Hill, Pinehurst, and Bethpage. All these have been PGA hosts. Is Big Creek in that caliber?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

12under

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 20, 2006, 04:38:18 pm
is mentioned in Golf Digest (May 2006, pg 108) as one of the best places to play. I don't live far from there. Can anyone elaborate on what I might expect.

Others mentioned on the same page are Pebble Beach, Spy Glass Hill, Pinehurst, and Bethpage. All these have been PGA hosts. Is Big Creek in that caliber?
ive never played it, but ill tell you that there is NO way big creek is in the same category as the courses you mentioned.  i have heard that it is a pretty, "new" style course

Zen_Hog

When I lived in Mountain Home I played there a couple of times. I had membership at the other golf course in Mountain Home though at Twin Lakes because I lived inside it.

I gotta say Big Creek was pretty cool. It is nice and long not many trees like others. Some holes are tough with the lakes/ and sand pits in the right place and all.

hawgjowls

not that i am saying that it is. but what makes you think that it is not in the caliber of those courses?  have you played all the above?

i have not but i am a member of big creek while i have played several other places in the state chenal, glenwood, both farifield bay courses etc. it compares favorably with all of them.  i can make you 1 promise about big creek.  this golf course will be all you want from a golf course. you will need to be on top of your game to have a decent round.

12under

Quote from: hawgjowls on April 21, 2006, 09:19:52 am

not that i am saying that it is. but what makes you think that it is not in the caliber of those courses?  have you played all the above?

i have not but i am a member of big creek while i have played several other places in the state chenal, glenwood, both farifield bay courses etc. it compares favorably with all of them.  i can make you 1 promise about big creek.  this golf course will be all you want from a golf course. you will need to be on top of your game to have a decent round.
i have been to pebble, spyglass, and pinehurst, but only seen bethpage on tv in the us open.  these golf courses are consistantly ranked among the best courses in the WORLD, big creek is not.  this is not a knock on your course, ive heard it is very nice, but it is not on the level of those.

hogfankb

Quote from: 12under on April 21, 2006, 11:21:50 am
Quote from: hawgjowls on April 21, 2006, 09:19:52 am

i have been to pebble, spyglass, and pinehurst, but only seen bethpage on tv in the us open.  these golf courses are consistantly ranked among the best courses in the WORLD, big creek is not.  this is not a knock on your course, ive heard it is very nice, but it is not on the level of those.

I haven't played or seen any of these courses in real life. But guessing, I would have to agree with you. Pebble is on my list of 5 places to play before I die.

What do you think about The Blessings? I know it isn't up there with them right now if only for the history of those courses. But do think it could someday be as prestigous?

Hawg414

where is this Blessings course i have heard several people mention?

hogfankb

Quote from: Hawg414 on April 21, 2006, 01:18:50 pm

Johnson in NW Arkansas.

It is the Razorbacks new home course I believe.

hawgjowls

well GOLF DIGEST seems to think it ranks pretty high (5 stars, one of only17 in the nation) and i figure they know more than you or i do alone or combined about golf courses. but everybody is entitled to there opinion whether it is uneducated or an educated opinion.

pigture perfect

My dad has played Pebble Beach and Spyglass, we will be playing Big Creek soon. I'll let you know his opinion when we're through.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

12under

Quote from: hawgjowls on April 21, 2006, 02:03:03 pm
well GOLF DIGEST seems to think it ranks pretty high (5 stars, one of only17 in the nation) and i figure they know more than you or i do alone or combined about golf courses. but everybody is entitled to there opinion whether it is uneducated or an educated opinion.
well, ive played professionally for almost 8 years, so i am pretty well educated when it comes to rating golf courses, but ratings definitely are subjective.  if golf digest has it as one of their seventeen best golf courses, they need to examine their magazine, or hire me to rate courses for them.

12under

as hogfan mentioned, it is in johnson.  it has been rated as the third hardest golf course in america(slope rating) by i think golf digest.  it is john tyson's course, very exclusive, very well manicured, and VERY difficult.  i have played there probably 40 times and only broken par about 15 times.

Hawg414

Quote from: 12under on April 21, 2006, 02:19:58 pm
as hogfan mentioned, it is in johnson.  it has been rated as the third hardest golf course in america(slope rating) by i think golf digest.  it is john tyson's course, very exclusive, very well manicured, and VERY difficult.  i have played there probably 40 times and only broken par about 15 times.

impressive.  BUT, could you do that at stonelinks??  haha.

i think stonelinks is one of those where the unthinkable 58 is possible for a good player. 

razorbackdan

Gold Digest's Readers voted it a 5 star, one of only 17. Golf Digest will do their own rankings at some point this year.

Jim Harris

Quote from: 12under on April 21, 2006, 02:16:14 pm
well, ive played professionally for almost 8 years, so i am pretty well educated when it comes to rating golf courses, but ratings definitely are subjective.  if golf digest has it as one of their seventeen best golf courses, they need to examine their magazine, or hire me to rate courses for them.

It was a poll of several thousand readers, of the Best Public Access Places to Play. If was not a rating by Golf Digest's course raters.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

12under

Quote from: drakehog on April 21, 2006, 03:42:10 pm

It was a poll of several thousand readers, of the Best Public Access Places to Play. If was not a rating by Golf Digest's course raters.
gotcha, that makes more sense

hawgjowls

man that is awsome, a dream for only a few.  which tour? pga or a minor league tour?

12under

Quote from: hawgjowls on April 21, 2006, 05:01:26 pm
man that is awsome, a dream for only a few.  which tour? pga or a minor league tour?
nationwide, nga/hooters, gateway, and tight lies tours.  the only tour i havent been fortunate enough to qualify for is the pga tour.