Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What About Rich Rodriguez

Started by NaturalStateReb, October 19, 2017, 05:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

He's an offense guy, got Arizona rolling again this season with a dual threat QB, he's still just 54, can beat out Zona in a bidding war.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Großer Kriegschwein

The why doesn't Ole Miss take him?
This is my non-signature signature.

Sooie71923

Doesn't matter who the coach is or their w/L record or what they've done somewhere else. There's no formula to pick the perfect coach.

It's happened throughout Arkansas's history.  A coach does really well at "insert school here" comes to Arkansas and flops.

Arkansas is a very difficult job for none other than the major disadvantages in recruiting.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 19, 2017, 05:52:32 pm
The why doesn't Ole Miss take him?

I thought that's who he was asking about?  Since he is an ole miss rebel/blackhead/whatever they this week fan

Nashville Fan

Pittman or Bust!

Hoggish1

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 19, 2017, 05:49:46 pm
He's an offense guy, got Arizona rolling again this season with a dual threat QB, he's still just 54, can beat out Zona in a bidding war.

U  h  ( wait for it...)     b    e    c    a      u      s      e      t    h    e     r    e      is           n    o              o       p    e    n    i         n                                                        g

Inhogswetrust

He's lucky he didn't get fired after last year. He's 4-2 so far this year and people there are grumbling. They've lost to Houston and Utah. Barely beat Colorado and the the meat of their schedule starts this weekend.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogwild

I've always believed he has been an underrated coach.  Since 2002, he has only had 3 seasons in which his teams failed to make a bowl game. Took two different programs to BCS games.

Tusks

He might be a good get.  My cousin played ball for Arizona under Tomey on his way to the NFL.  He was born in Batesville so I'm familiar with both programs and you can recruit better to Arkansas than Arizona.

I'm not sure how hard of worker he is.  AR needs a Holtz, Patrino, Saben type control freak/detail oriented guy.  That's what's needed to win in Fay IMO. 

I think RR has a great offensive mind but the Hogs need some workaholic crazy on the sidelines.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Inhogswetrust

October 19, 2017, 07:12:28 pm #9 Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:18:01 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Hogwild on October 19, 2017, 06:49:09 pm
I've always believed he has been an underrated coach.  Since 2002, he has only had 3 seasons in which his teams failed to make a bowl game. Took two different programs to BCS games.

Bowl game? Heck even Bret got us in a couple of bowls lately. It must no be that hard. After all there are about 40 of them now! Here's a little interesting tidbit about bowls last year found:

For the 2016–17 bowl season, 25% of the bowl participants (20 teams) did not have a winning record.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Tusks

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 19, 2017, 07:12:28 pm
Bowl game? Heck even Bret got us in a couple of blows lately. It must no be that hard. After all there are about 40 of them now! Here's a little interesting tidbit about bowls last year found:

For the 2016–17 bowl season, 25% of the bowl participants (20 teams) did not have a winning record.

Well BB is about to miss a bowl in 2 out of 5 seasons so missing bowls can be done.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

DEVIL DOG HOG

He didn't do much when he was at Michigan.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

theFlyingHog

How about we don't hire a retread loser.

rtr

I think he fits better at Arkansas than he does at Michigan or Arizona.  He was very successful at West Virginia, a state with many similarities to Arkansas.  I brought him up in an earlier thread.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

rtr

I will say he could be a good hire for Arkansas or Ole Miss.

solitons

I like him, he did an awesome job at WV, but don't understand why didn't do well at Michigan.

bob slydell

*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Hogwild on October 19, 2017, 06:49:09 pm

Before this season, bert only had one team not make a bowl........
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

31to6

Quote from: solitons on October 19, 2017, 08:06:26 pm
I like him, he did an awesome job at WV, but don't understand why didn't do well at Michigan.
It was easier to dominate a crumbling Big East than it is to compete in the Big10?

hogcard1964

Quote from: Sooie71923 on October 19, 2017, 06:01:49 pm
Doesn't matter who the coach is or their w/L record or what they've done somewhere else. There's no formula to pick the perfect coach.

It's happened throughout Arkansas's history.  A coach does really well at "insert school here" comes to Arkansas and flops.

Arkansas is a very difficult job for none other than the major disadvantages in recruiting.

Beside Butters and Ford, who else?

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on October 19, 2017, 07:49:59 pm
He didn't do much when he was at Michigan.

This.  And no issues recruiting there.  Not a good fit here.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

31to6

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on October 19, 2017, 09:24:31 pm
This.  And no issues recruiting there.  Not a good fit here.
All you need to know about Rich Rod is that he looked at Michigan (a place that produces NFL QBs and WRs constantly) and decided he didn't want a 5* future NFL QB or two NFL WRs on his team enough to adjust his offensive scheme to fit the players on hand (sound familiar??).

He then proceeded to stink up the place so bad he got the coach who followed him fired because of how bad he left things.

GoHogs1091

Rodriguez couldn't win enough at Michigan.

So, he is all of the sudden going to be able to win at a disadvantaged program such as Arkansas?

He would be Bielema level bad if we hired him.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Sooie71923 on October 19, 2017, 06:01:49 pm

Not many coaches have come here and flopped that we're good elsewhere.  Ford and Beliema I believe are the only ones I can think of. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

rtr

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 19, 2017, 09:39:14 pm
Not many coaches have come here and flopped that we're good elsewhere.  Ford and Beliema I believe are the only ones I can think of. 
Ford recruited a complete football team for Houston Dale Nutt.

HogPharmer

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 19, 2017, 06:30:46 pm
I thought that's who he was asking about?  Since he is an ole miss rebel/blackhead/whatever they this week fan

Don't forget Sharknado's
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

247Hog

Did i not see he has been on the coaches hot seat off and on this season?
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

31to6

Quote from: rtr on October 19, 2017, 10:06:53 pm
Ford recruited a complete football team for Houston Dale Nutt.
They just didn't want to play for him because he made them hate being on a football team.

Would not be in my top 5 but I really don't know his background and choice of defensive scheme.

Großer Kriegschwein

October 19, 2017, 10:25:50 pm #30 Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:40:15 pm by Großer Kriegschwein
Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 19, 2017, 10:05:42 pm
Sounds good to me.

Go hire him boss man.

Like he's gonna leave a contract with longevity incentives worth $17.8 million to go take over that dumpster fire in Oxford.

Prolly only be able to get Slim Pickens to jump on that rocket. But only if it will take him up out of Oxford.

Lol. Put your chickens in that basket.

Knight Rider approves.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusked on October 19, 2017, 07:15:34 pm
Well BB is about to miss a bowl in 2 out of 5 seasons so missing bowls can be done.

THAT's my point. IF you miss a bowl in 40% of your games maybe you shouldn't be the coach. Even some teams with losing records are making them now!

DEVIL DOG HOG

Rich Rod did one thing for Arkansas. He chased Mallett from Michigan back to Arkansas.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Hogwild

Quote from: 31to6 on October 19, 2017, 09:33:29 pm
All you need to know about Rich Rod is that he looked at Michigan (a place that produces NFL QBs and WRs constantly) and decided he didn't want a 5* future NFL QB or two NFL WRs on his team enough to adjust his offensive scheme to fit the players on hand (sound familiar??).

He then proceeded to stink up the place so bad he got the coach who followed him fired because of how bad he left things.

At Michigan he improved by two wins each season.  His offense wasn't a problem, his original DC was the issue they couldn't stop anyone.  His final year they averaged over 30 points a game, but they gave up 35 points a game which wasn't even in the top 100 defenses.

azhog10

NOOOOO!!!! Being in AZ we do not want him.....

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Nashville Fan on October 19, 2017, 06:33:47 pm
Gus taught Rich his offense
Hopefully a joke, but obviously not true. RichRod was first.

Not my first choice, but I am fine with RichRod. Would be exciting to watch.

azhog10

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 20, 2017, 10:30:50 am

No it's not. Closer to Nut like than Gus like.

longpig

If Rich Rod decides to come out of semi retirement at AZ Bielema would be a good fit there.  But not vice versa and there isn't an opening.   yet  ;D
Don't be scared, be smart.

clutch

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 20, 2017, 01:17:20 pm
NO!  The guy isn't even excelling at Zona and was on the hot seat before this season started!  NO!

Not to mention I've always heard that players hated him with a passion.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: clutch on October 20, 2017, 01:24:55 pm
Not to mention I've always heard that players hated him with a passion.

Heard he was an a**hole. At Michigan he was a loser and still an a**hole.

Großer Kriegschwein

October 20, 2017, 01:47:40 pm #40 Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:58:41 pm by Großer Kriegschwein
Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 20, 2017, 01:45:28 pm
This post shows apathy has set in at UA!  Why would we want a 2 school retread?  NO!  I'd rather gamble with a non P5 young up and comer than a 2 School 50 something retread!

WTH are you talking about?

Get back on your meds hero or hire someone that can read troll.

Someone needs to IP check this guys account.

Nashville Fan

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 20, 2017, 10:30:50 am

Between 2001 and 2002 Todd Graham called his buddy Gus to explain his HUNH offense to Rich Rod. A few years later Todd hired Gus at Tulsa to return the favor.
Pittman or Bust!

rusvegashog

How about Coach and the players win out and we keep the guy who is ultimately more concerned with whAts really important. I may be extremely naive but I still believe in the long run if given the chance that we have the right guy at the helm.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: rusvegashog on October 20, 2017, 02:21:33 pm
How about Coach and the players win out and we keep the guy who is ultimately more concerned with whAts really important. I may be extremely naive but I still believe in the long run if given the chance that we have the right guy at the helm.

That's my hope.

By the way, WTH is up with Alabama players piling their hair up like chicks?

Jalen Hurts looks like Beyoncé and Ru Paul had a love child born to aliens and raised by Nick Saban.

rusvegashog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 20, 2017, 02:24:32 pm
That's my hope.

By the way, WTH is up with Alabama players piling their hair up like chicks?

Jalen Hurts looks like Beyoncé and Ru Paul had a love child born to aliens and raised by Nick Saban.
lol I chalk it up to youth being youth. This gives em something to look back upon and smile and say what was I thinkin. It's fun to be young, dumb and full of competitive spirit.

Hogwild

Quote from: Nashville Fan on October 20, 2017, 02:02:46 pm
Between 2001 and 2002 Todd Graham called his buddy Gus to explain his HUNH offense to Rich Rod. A few years later Todd hired Gus at Tulsa to return the favor.

That might be true, however RichRod was  running HUNH at Tulane, even  went undefeated in 1998.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: rusvegashog on October 20, 2017, 02:54:55 pm
lol I chalk it up to youth being youth. This gives em something to look back upon and smile and say what was I thinkin. It's fun to be young, dumb and full of competitive spirit.

I graduated high school in 76', most of our class had hair like your avatar, and the tux we chose for SR pictures was atrocious. It seemed like a smart decision at the time....

Großer Kriegschwein

Bruh.

I bet you had the Mullet Man mullet.

Don't forget the woman super mullet.

Nashville Fan

Quote from: Hogwild on October 20, 2017, 03:33:15 pm
That might be true, however RichRod was  running HUNH at Tulane, even  went undefeated in 1998.
said Gus taught Rich his offense. Didn't say Rich didn't have an offense before. Definitely got better at WV after hearing from a high school coach.
Pittman or Bust!