Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

University of Arkansas, Fayetteville

Started by Hogopolis, August 19, 2017, 02:28:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

I love reading an actual paper(or book) much more than on a computer or phone but I haven't bought a demozette in years. I might if it were a quarter, that's all it's worth. Oh and get rid of Wally hall.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: JJHog on August 19, 2017, 08:39:08 pm
An email from the adg says it's the u of a, not them

I emailed Wally. His response is below:
"I am just a foot soldier following orders. It became a policy in the 1990's to always refer at least once to Arkansas, Fayetteville. That editor felt since there were so many in the UA system we need to be clear. When that editor left we got lax, recently the entire paper was informed to be uniform, and we in sports are doing our part. That's all there is to it."

I asked Wally why the University of Texas wasn't referred to as "The University of Texas, Austin" or why Michigan wasn't "University of Michigan Ann Arbor" or why not "Arkansas State University, Jonesboro"....all I heard was crickets.

But when the heading at the top of the page is "Razorback Report", why the need to list "UA, Fayetteville" in the body"?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

popcornhog

Quote from: Hogwild on August 19, 2017, 03:44:23 pm
The only one I can think of is  University of California Los Angles.

And that's because the flagship UC is in Berkeley.

Typically the flagship is referred to Ux but you'll hear folks say UC Berkeley sometimes or UT Austin or UT Knoxville, etc.
WPS

Three and Snout

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on August 20, 2017, 12:07:32 am
I emailed Wally. His response is below:
"I am just a foot soldier following orders. It became a policy in the 1990's to always refer at least once to Arkansas, Fayetteville. That editor felt since there were so many in the UA system we need to be clear. When that editor left we got lax, recently the entire paper was informed to be uniform, and we in sports are doing our part. That's all there is to it."

Seems like a reasonable explanation.  There are several UA system campuses.

I asked Wally why the University of Texas wasn't referred to as "The University of Texas, Austin" or why Michigan wasn't "University of Michigan Ann Arbor" or why not "Arkansas State University, Jonesboro"....all I heard was crickets.

He doesn't write about UT in Texas or UM in Michigan, so he likely knows as much about that as you do.  Not enough people statewide care about what is happening at ASU-Newport.

But when the heading at the top of the page is "Razorback Report", why the need to list "UA, Fayetteville" in the body"?

This is a good point.  It shouldn't be necessary when your readership is almost exclusively instate and/or an Arkansas native.

Sivad

Quote from: JJHog on August 19, 2017, 05:16:15 pm
It's the UofA that is doing this not the paper.
Not at all. It's the jerkals at the ADG. Mad about the LR games ending probably.

Inhogswetrust

August 20, 2017, 06:58:14 am #55 Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:34:40 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Three and Snout on August 19, 2017, 02:52:45 pm
Only those not from Arkansas.  Which is why it is curious that the ADG has started designating the U of A's location when their readers are almost all instate or from Arkansas.

No they don't. I've traveled all over the country. Leaving for San Jose Wednesday as a matter of fact and I've never talked to anyone that thought that. They know that a lot of "flagship" schools are not in a state capital or in the middle of the sate or even in the biggest population city.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogwild on August 19, 2017, 03:44:23 pm
The only one I can think of is  University of California Los Angles.

The one University of California school and campus NOT referred to by the city designation is the flagship campus at Berkley. It is simply called Cal.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 19, 2017, 05:00:38 pm
So we need to organize a boycott of the Demozette eh ?  >:(

Wonder who made the editorial decision

I didn't know people still read it...................unless they are over 65 or so.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 19, 2017, 05:06:49 pm
It's not in Arkansas, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, or Missouri. This is hard?

The same in MOST states for that matter.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Chief on August 19, 2017, 05:15:12 pm
Living in three other SEC states and North Carolina over the last 15 years, I've listened to local sports call-in shows and spoken to people who are from all over the U.S. (Army life).  The astute football fan, especially SEC fan, knows it's in Fayetteville.  A large portion of the casual fans or non-SEC fans seem to think Little Rock is where the U of A is located, especially when a game is in War Memorial in LR.  I actually had one guy from Alabama (where I now live) tell me he tried calling UALR for tickets a couple of years ago.

So, for some, apparently it's not common knowledge.  Most out-of-staters that have never been to or driven through Arkansas would have trouble naming another city in Arkansas that's not Little Rock.  From my experience, anyway.

Heck most people can't even name the capitals of each state!

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 20, 2017, 07:00:02 am
The one University of California school and campus NOT referred to by the city designation is the flagship campus at Berkley. It is simply called Cal.

Well......my son's girlfriend graduated from there, she says Cal-Berkley, Berkley, or Cal. Almost all the time when asked where she went to school, she replies Cal-Berkley. Now, I don't know if that's for the benefit of us uneducated southerners, but that's her response.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: VBCHog on August 19, 2017, 07:02:11 pm
I can tell you all why it says University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. Wally Hall is secretly an Arkansas State fan and tries every jab he can get at the U of A. I hate how he does the sports edition.

I know Wally and no he doesn't take jabs. He loves the Hogs. He also respects all the other schools in the state as well and will write about them from time to time. He loves High school sports as well. If you hate his writing and sports pages that's one thing ands your opinion but to not know him and believe he hates the Hogs is plain wrong.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bythelake on August 19, 2017, 09:20:06 pm
I cancelled my subscription for UAF reference.  Sales person calls me on a regular basis.  He said that Wally hall was the culprit. 

I think it is his response to the WMS issue.  He hates that UA is pulling out.

He doesn't "hate" that the UA is pulling out. He might disagree it's in the best interest of the program to do so.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 20, 2017, 07:16:25 am
I know Wally and no he doesn't take jabs. He loves the Hogs. He also respects all the other schools in the state as well and will write about them from time to time. He loves High school sports as well. If you hate his writing and sports pages that's one thing ands your opinion but to not know him and believe he hates the Hogs is plain wrong.

Wally takes jabs all the time, it's what he does when not writing about some obscure Mexican restaurant or trying to get a meal from Tommy or Joe.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 07:15:52 am
Well......my son's girlfriend graduated from there, she says Cal-Berkley, Berkley, or Cal. Almost all the time when asked where she went to school, she replies Cal-Berkley. Now, I don't know if that's for the benefit of us uneducated southerners, but that's her response.

I'll actually be close to the campus and in Berkley later this week while visiting family. My wife's aunt lives there and is a retired teacher there. It's for us uneducated folks as you said. I hear it said many ways even out there.  Most of the time I hear it said "Cal" but sometimes even "Berkley". Rarely do I hear Cal Berkley. No offense to your son's girlfriend but those that do say it "Cal Berkley" I feel are taking a swipe at the other University of California Campuses. If you really want to hear a smug response from graduate wait till you hear someone say Cal Tech.

Inhogswetrust

August 20, 2017, 07:45:39 am #65 Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:42:56 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 07:21:36 am
Wally takes jabs all the time, it's what he does when not writing about some obscure Mexican restaurant or trying to get a meal from Tommy or Joe.

Of course he takes jabs sometimes. ALL newspaper staffs all over the country do so. That doesn't mean they don't like them. It's their job sometimes. Even up in your neck of the woods the paper sometimes takes jabs at ASU as does the local ABC affiliate.

dmacs_wife

Are topics to complain about really this hard to come by? I guess I'm not really understanding why it really matters.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 20, 2017, 07:45:39 am
Of course he takes jabs sometimes. ALL newspaper staffs allover the country do so. That doesn't mean they don't like them. It's their job sometimes. Even up in your neck of the woods the paper sometimes takes jabs at ASU as does the local ABC affiliate.

Ah....the pen is mightier than the sword! I don't think he dislikes the Hogs at all, I just know that he holds grudges and uses his column to take "jabs" at those he feels wronged him, without worrying about a retort. Do you read the ADG daily?

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 08:26:41 am
Ah....the pen is mightier than the sword! I don't think he dislikes the Hogs at all, I just know that he holds grudges and uses his column to take "jabs" at those he feels wronged him, without worrying about a retort. Do you read the ADG daily?

I read the ADG/WholeHogSports every day.  It's the best place to find thorough info on the Hogs in one stop.  Just finished an article on Frank Broyles and shared it with my family.  Looking forward to watching the celebration of his life later today at the link provided.

I didn't care much for Wally Hall when he started out as a young journalist at the Democrat back when it was a yellow afternoon rag.  If the Gazette reported the sky was blue, the Democrat would claim it was green.  Pumping the ASU Indians was part of its strategy to provide an alternative to the Gazette.  In keeping with its National Inquirer tone, Wally came across as anti-Razorbacks.  He was just doing his job.

Over the years I've gotten to know Wally a bit.  He's a good guy who loves the Hogs  and Arkansas.  It's good to hear the Arkansas, Fayetteville policy isn't his idea.  I'm going to email him and tell him how annoying it is and hope anyone who feels the way I do will, too.  He'll pay attention and hopefully his boss will, too.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

AirWarren

Quote from: dmacs_wife on August 20, 2017, 08:14:59 am
Are topics to complain about really this hard to come by? I guess I'm not really understanding why it really matters.

Exactly.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 20, 2017, 07:04:46 am
Heck most people can't even name the capitals of each state!
It's the first letter, you idiots!

Porked Tongue

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 07:21:36 am
Agreed.

Just last week he went to great lengths to talk about how the LR Touchdown Club was by far the best as if it needed to be compared to the NWA Touchdown club.

Can't just let them both be good or great.  It was cheap and stupid.

For a statewide paper, he doesn't even hide his bias for all things LR.  It's fine to like where you are from but his only shared info from outside LR are thing specific to the UA itself.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 04:11:32 pm
University of Alaska, Fairbanks?? I don't think it's a big deal but when the include it three paragraphs into a story when they've already mentioned Razorbacks or Hogs, it's a little redundant.

The Department of Redundancy Department.

Btw, The University of Arkansas. Period. I wish they'd quit that crap.

HamSammich

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 19, 2017, 05:00:38 pm
So we need to organize a boycott of the Demozette eh ?  >:(

Wonder who made the editorial decision

A.y.a.n.k.e.e

Axlehog

It's a jab at the UofA, plain and simple. Whether intentional or not, it is what it is, disrespectful, pointless, and insulting. It's also a huge miscalculation, and it will soon blow up in the ADG's face. It is IDIOTIC for the powers that be at the ADG to thumb their noses at Razorback fans, especially in a world where print media is dying a slow, gutshot, death.

They know a large portion of their subscribers--like me--are hacked off at this crap, but still the persist. It makes reading the sports section a mission in distractions. Every time I read that crap I think--I really should cancel my subscription. I suspect those that don't have a problem with what the editors are doing, don't read the ADG at all. If those people do read--anything of substance that is--it's nothing longer than this post. If you are one of those people, and have made it this far, congratulations. Go have a cookie.

SRV

We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

razorbacker3

Quote from: dmacs_wife on August 20, 2017, 08:14:59 am
Agree 100%
It's only 2 weeks til live College football! Don't sweat the small stuff.

Porked Tongue

I'm going to have to ask you to refer to it as:

"Arkansas Democrat Gazette, Little Rock"
Or
"Arkansas, Little Rock Democrat Gazette"

Thanks in advance.

oldhawg

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 07:15:52 am

Could be a little pride that she graduated from the Berkley campus, probably more prestigious than UCLA.  Nothing wrong with that.

Flatline

I figure it began because of the Little Rock games and will end with them.

HamSammich

Quote from: razorbacker3 on August 20, 2017, 10:22:33 am
Agree 100%
It's only 2 weeks til live College football! Don't sweat the small stuff.

pepsi lover

IronMountainHog

They should identify these schools in the same way so we will know where they are located-

Tulsa-Tulsa
Memphis-Memphis
Cincinnati-Cincinnati

razorbacker3

Quote from: HamSammich on August 20, 2017, 11:13:17 am
pepsi lover
Much better topic.....haven't had a pepsi since the eighties. Being diabetic, Diet Coke for me!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 20, 2017, 07:00:49 am
I didn't know people still read it...................unless they are over 65 or so.

Sunday comics.....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Dark Helmet Hog

I agree. It has always been just the University of Arkansas. However, there are some legit reasons to add ",Fayetteville". It is a part of a larger system. Granted it is the flagship of that system but it is nothing to make a huge deal out of in the scheme of things. The UASYS website adds it.

http://www.uasys.edu/campuses-affiliates/

Since its inception, the University of Arkansas System has developed a tradition of excellence that includes the state's 1871 flagship, land-grant research university; Arkansas's premier institution for medical education, treatment and research; a major metropolitan university; an 1890 land-grant university; two regional universities serving southern and western Arkansas; five community colleges; two schools of law; a presidential school; a residential math and science high school; a 100 percent-online university and divisions of agriculture, archeology and criminal justice. The individual entities of the UA System maintain cooperative strength as well as diverse offerings that exhibit unmatched economic and social impact to the state.

ImHogginIt

Half the paper is still owned by the Stephens Media so I guess Mr Stephens is butt hurt over Little
Rock games and losing influence on Razorback sports since Broyles retired.

majestic

When I tell people that I attended the University of Arkansas, or that I ran track at the U of A, they don't ever ask what campus. There is no need to add Fayetteville when you say U of A. We are not UALR, UAFS, etc. It's not needed and kind of insulting to add Fayetteville to U of A.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 20, 2017, 03:56:28 pm
Half the paper is still owned by the Stephens Media so I guess Mr Stephens is butt hurt over Little
Rock games and losing influence on Razorback sports since Broyles retired.

Umm, not really WHECO(Walter Hussman) owns the ADG. WHECO and Stephens Media each own 50% of Northwest Arkansas Nwespapers LLC which prints the NWA edition.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 04:05:34 pm
Umm, not really WHECO(Walter Hussman) owns the ADG. WHECO and Stephens Media each own 50% of Northwest Arkansas Nwespapers LLC which prints the NWA edition.

So he still owns a decent percentage of the company and thus has influence

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 20, 2017, 04:07:06 pm
So he still owns a decent percentage of the company and thus has influence

Two different companies, lol. Now, he may be carrying the note on the whole shebang, haha.

ImHogginIt

Well someone thinks that if they print it like that long enough people will start referring to it as UA- Fayetteville. Would be nice if whoever made the decision could be exposed to ridicule by everyone

sowmonella

Wally told me today that absolutely this was not his doing and that decision was way above his pay grade. He said the order to use -Fayetteville  once per column was given by a former executive editor. The order was also to use Monticello/Little Rock etc once per column as well. Dumb idea but we can't blame Wally.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 20, 2017, 04:11:30 pm
Well someone thinks that if they print it like that long enough people will start referring to it as UA- Fayetteville. Would be nice if whoever made the decision could be exposed to ridicule by everyone

I agree, does it affect my daily life, no. Is it ridiculously stupid, yes.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 04:13:42 pm
I agree, does it affect my daily life, no. Is it ridiculously stupid, yes.

They won't stop until many voices complain though.

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 20, 2017, 04:27:35 pm
They won't stop until many voices complain though.

Well, there has been many complaining on other boards, it's fallen on deaf ears apparently. It may be time to fly a banner!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 04:30:08 pm
Well, there has been many complaining on other boards, it's fallen on deaf ears apparently. It may be time to fly a banner!

AHHHHH....not that crap again.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 04:30:08 pm

OK. What shall we put on it ?  8)

ricepig

Porked Tongue