Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Comments on first day of spring practices

Started by Biggus Piggus, March 28, 2017, 05:43:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

People have put practice video online today. Some things you can see in there...

First offensive line -
Jackson | Froholdt | Ragnow | Raulerson | Wallace

Second offensive line -
Clenin | Malone | Rogers | Ramirez | Merrick

And not Johnny Gibson, which is curious. Even without him, two-deep's pretty good. Gibson's there, just not getting the very-very-early reps.

They showed Jared Cornelius and Deon Stewart as the starting WRs, but don't expect that to last. Blocking. And Brandon Martin, LaMichael Pettway, Jordan Jones...a ton of freshmen coming...

Giovanni LaFrance is huge, and Michael Taylor is huger. I bet they're moving people around in the front seven all spring.
[CENSORED]!

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

presidenthog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 28, 2017, 05:43:06 pm
People have put practice video online today. Some things you can see in there...

First offensive line -

Second offensive line -

And not Johnny Gibson, which is curious. Even without him, two-deep's pretty good. Gibson's there, just not getting the very-very-early reps.

They showed Jared Cornelius and Deon Stewart as the starting WRs, but don't expect that to last. Blocking. And Brandon Martin, LaMichael Pettway, Jordan Jones...a ton of freshmen coming...

Giovanni LaFrance is huge, and Michael Taylor is huger. I bet they're moving people around in the front seven all spring.

Please God tell me this is just some motivational stuff for gibson. I do not want raulerson on the field at all. Every time Froholdt got hurt 7 times a game at the end of the year, and he came in I got so mad.

parallaxpig

K
Quote from: presidenthog on March 28, 2017, 05:51:30 pm
Please God tell me this is just some motivational stuff for gibson. I do not want raulerson on the field at all. Every time Froholdt got hurt 7 times a game at the end of the year, and he came in I got so mad.

If R in the mix we are in trouble.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 28, 2017, 05:59:10 pm
K
If R in the mix we are in trouble.

Considering that the kid was playing on a severely injured ankle most of the time and still gutted it out and did the best he could, you might want to cut him some slack. Word I got was that it was bad enough that he probably should not have been playing, but they needed him and he wanted to help if he could. If there is anything to blame it was not having sufficient game-ready depth that he didn't have to be forced into action.
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

parallaxpig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 28, 2017, 06:43:04 pm
Considering that the kid was playing on a severely injured ankle most of the time and still gutted it out and did the best he could, you might want to cut him some slack. Word I got was that it was bad enough that he probably should not have been playing, but they needed him and he wanted to help if he could. If there is anything to blame it was not having sufficient game-ready depth that he didn't have to be forced into action.

You can sugar coat it all you want. He wasn't good enough to play for an average Texas team. If he is back to first team then that high lights what you posted. We still don't have any depth at OL. There are no trophies for second place. 
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 28, 2017, 06:50:25 pm
You can sugar coat it all you want. He wasn't good enough to play for an average Texas team. If he is back to first team then that high lights what you posted. We still don't have any depth at OL. There are no trophies for second place. 

I think you are selling him short considering he was playing hurt last fall. In any case, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what you see the first day of spring practice. There is going to be a lot of rotation going on as a result of day to day progress and effort by individual players. Plus, don't think that the staff isn't using player rotations as a tool to light a fire under other players. It isn't a new tactic.
Go Hogs Go!

phadedhawg

I always enjoy practice reports but take everything before kickoff on opening day with many grains of salt. 

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

lakecityhog

I wish we didn't have such STUPID fans! If BB and Anderson think Raulerson is good enough to start I say good for him.

My second wish is that Jake and his family please take into account that not MANY Razorback fans are so STUPID and OBLIVIOUS to other people and their feelings.

My third wish is that some Mod would see this kind of CRAP and deal with it NOW! We certainly don't need our players and their families reading this type of GARBAGE all season long!!!

247Hog

Quote from: lakecityhog on March 28, 2017, 07:57:46 pm
I wish we didn't have such STUPID fans! If BB and Anderson think Raulerson is good enough to start I say good for him.

My second wish is that Jake and his family please take into account that not MANY Razorback fans are so STUPID and OBLIVIOUS to other people and their feelings.

My third wish is that some Mod would see this kind of CRAP and deal with it NOW! We certainly don't need our players and their families reading this type of GARBAGE all season long!!!

Yeah im sure we'll see plenty of garbage spewed during the season like always but already insulting players on Day 1 of spring practice is ridiculous.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

colbs

He's added on more weigh(muscle), I think Biddy said like 20 lbs.  Also, he did get playing time at Texas(think he started one year).  He's also two years removed from when he played there and incase you didn't know players actually get better.  If he hasn't improved from last year I doubt he will be starting during the season. 

colbs

First offensive line -

Second offensive line -

BB didn't seem to happy with Gibson as of Monday.   I'm sure a lot is for motivation purposes.

ThisTeetsTaken

I guess they haven't seen the tape of Johnny Gipson putting those Florida boys on their butts?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

DLUXHOG

Nice avatar, p*ss poor post.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Dwillhog66

What a coward you are!

parallaxpig

Dwillhog66

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 28, 2017, 08:59:19 pm
Ok......snowflake

Coming from the internet tough guy hiding behind his keyboard in his mommies safe basement badmouthing a group of young men who are busting their asses representing the team you are supposedly of fan of.
Like I said, YOU ARE A COWARD!

Hollywood870

The internet is so awesome. If you disagree with someone you get to call people STUPID all of the time and never have to worry about getting smacked so hard that you spin around like a tornado from Twister. It's the best.

theshiva

R definitely struggled last season, but I think fans should give him a fresh slate going into this season. If he becomes a starter at guard that means he beat out a lot of good players. Be patient.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on March 28, 2017, 09:08:26 pm
Coming from the internet tough guy hiding behind his keyboard in his mommies safe basement badmouthing a group of young men who are busting their asses representing the team you are supposedly of fan of.
Like I said, YOU ARE A COWARD!

At least get your facts right. I mentioned the letter R. If that is a group of young men for you then there's not much left to be said.

ricepig

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 28, 2017, 09:16:11 pm
At least get your facts right. I mentioned the letter R. If that is a group of young men for you then there's not much left to be said.

Doesn't matter, attacking players is forbidden on HV.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 28, 2017, 09:16:11 pm

At least I got all of the other facts right!

PharmacistHog

No player bashing. Keep it up and you'll be shown the door.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

247Hog

Quote from: theshiva on March 28, 2017, 09:10:00 pm
R definitely struggled last season, but I think fans should give him a fresh slate going into this season. If he becomes a starter at guard that means he beat out a lot of good players. Be patient.

100% spot on. Hope those calling players out on first day of practice never see a fresh slate from their mommy and daddy, work, school, etc...since they want to dwell on only negatives.

I appreciate the effort from the WHOLE team from water boy to starter. If coaches put a player at the starting rotation and they struggle, then replace them and hopefully it'll motivate that player to work harder. If coaches don't replace a starter after struggling over and over, then its on the coaches. They get paid for it and deserve to be questioned.....not the kid busting his ass 16 hours a day for the team.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

tusksincolorado

Ok......snowflake

I am so damn tired of that ignorant, stupid, condescending, name tag. 
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Hollywood870

First day of spring practice and it's Alma Sonic time already.

hobhog

Very little mention of TJ Hammonds early. Bothersome.

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on March 28, 2017, 09:49:39 pm

Why, it's the first day of practice, one in which he is getting his first reps at WR.

RME

Not bothersome if other guys are performing better. And since he just moved to WR.

factchecker

???

Day one of practice and Hammonds is at a new position.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

March 28, 2017, 10:21:09 pm #33 Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:32:42 am by factchecker
Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on March 28, 2017, 08:30:30 pm
I guess they haven't seen the tape of Johnny Gipson putting those Florida boys on their butts?

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/johnny-gibson/

Johnny GIBSON.  If he wasn't running reps with 1st or 2nd string then it hasn't nothing to do with ability but rather discipline or injury.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hobhog

Quote from: ricepig on March 28, 2017, 10:03:52 pm
Why, it's the first day of practice, one in which he is getting his first reps at WR.

I saw coach B interviewed yesterday and he mentioned every WR BUT Hammonds. Good to hear he was getting 1 reps.....

RME

Quote from: hobhog on March 28, 2017, 10:33:03 pm
I saw coach B interviewed yesterday and he mentioned every WR BUT Hammonds. Good to hear he was getting 1 reps.....

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/mar/27/live-bret-bielema-previews-spring-practice/

— In year 3 of Dan Enos' offense. Frank Ragnow, Austin Allen, Rawleigh Williams and Jared Cornelius get it. Austin Cantrell potentially, too. Have to bring guys along to help with them. Deon Stewart and T.J. Hammonds need to get involved. LaMichael Pettway, Jonathan Nance and Brandon Martin at WR. Devwah Whaley will need to keep coming.

Again, even if he got 1 rep as you stated, that means guys ahead of him are performing better. Do you want names to play, or the best performers to play?

It's spring ball day one. He's at a new position. Relax.

bennyl08

Oh, they most certainly have. However, there are other guys with higher athletic potential than Gibson.

Gibson performed admirably last season and he'll get his chance to prove he deserves to remain a starter. However, there is also a reason why he was often listed on the second string such as the backup LT, but when Kirkland was injured, Wallace leapfrogged him in relief. That comment swings two ways. First, it was no accident that Gibson was consistently listed in the two deep as he showed last year he is a very capable player. However, his athletic potential is not as high as other linemen and thus while he was often listed in the two deep, somebody like a Wallace would be the first one in for a number of positions.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

lumphog

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Mike_e

Ok......snowflake

You do know that parallax is also called keystoneing, right?

The way to fix that is to straighten your back.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

southeasthog

Maybe Johnny watched it a little too much and didn't work as hard as the other guys during the offseason. Just a thought.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: factchecker on March 29, 2017, 02:35:01 am
https://twitter.com/RazorbackFB/status/846886023191658496

Watching the segment where #7 was running his route and made a great cut and you could tell he had #30 beat before he was past him. Dang, I miss playing. There are moments in sports that are simply chilling for a player:

- a swish in basketball. The sound of the net popping.
- a cut on a route and the look on the DB's face when he knows he is beat
- a cut on the ball and you know the QB is regretting that pass as you undercut the WR.

All in the past for me and I live these times through these young men.  :razorback:
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

duckman

March 29, 2017, 07:35:35 am #42 Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:39:11 am by duckman
Reading these posts and laughing, it's the FIRST day of SPRING ball....

Pork Twain

Agreed...posters that hammer players should be gone. However, I also think that it is okay to voice dissatisfaction with the play of certain players without attacking them personally.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 29, 2017, 07:36:15 am
Agreed...posters that hammer players should be gone. However, I also think that it is okay to voice dissatisfaction with the play of certain players without attacking them personally.
+1
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

GuvHog

I don't know where you got your information about Raulerson but you are seriously wrong. He was the #1 Center for the Longhorns when he decided to transfer to Arkansas. It had nothing to do with playing time.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: duckman on March 29, 2017, 07:35:35 am
Reading these post and laughing, it's the FIRST day of SPRING ball....

Yes, older players are going to get preference on the first day by default. And that is merely who's working with which unit. They aren't even hitting yet.
[CENSORED]!

hogcard1964

First offensive line -

Second offensive line -

Is Gibson hurt?

hogcard1964

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 29, 2017, 07:03:54 am
Watching the segment where #7 was running his route and made a great cut and you could tell he had #30 beat before he was past him. Dang, I miss playing. There are moments in sports that are simply chilling for a player:

- a swish in basketball. The sound of the net popping.
- a cut on a route and the look on the DB's face when he knows he is beat
- a cut on the ball and you know the QB is regretting that pass as you undercut the WR.

All in the past for me and I live these times through these young men.  :razorback:

It's a good thing the Tupperware industry paid off for you after high school.

HawginFL1991

Quote from: duckman on March 29, 2017, 07:35:35 am
Reading these post and laughing, it's the FIRST day of SPRING ball....

It is good to see that everyone is already in mid-season form and they haven't even put pads on!  :razorback: