Guns at Razorback Stadium

Started by GoHogzzGo, March 22, 2017, 07:34:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

Only one thing left to do...

Arm the players>

HF#1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 09:54:42 am
Not sure but all the NBA arena's I've been to do that as well. I'm actually surprised that the NCAA does not require it for entering football stadiums and all basketball arena's.

Given the liberal nature of the NCAA, I'm surprised as well.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

Quote from: rhames on March 23, 2017, 09:53:31 am
So cowboys say there is a mass shooting at a football game

How do the cops know not to take you out when you pull out your gun?

That is a risk anywhere. You have to take that into account before you draw your weapon. I would say it depends how close you are to the situation. If you can see the shooter, than you have just as much risk being shot by the shooter than you are by the cops. If you can't see the shooter, you should probably find cover and only draw your weapon if there is a direct threat to you or your family.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

factchecker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 09:54:42 am
Not sure but all the NBA arena's I've been to do that as well. I'm actually surprised that the NCAA does not require it for entering football stadiums and all basketball arena's.

I'm guessing that this is due to budgetary reasons or because pro stadiums sell alcohol thus metal detectors are required.

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 09:56:11 am
Ultimately, this is a non issue brought to light simply because we have been granted the ability to do so. Until now, anyone wanting to do harm, could do so regardless of laws. That threat isn't made greater by this.

Tell that to the media and NCAA.

I personally don't mind if someone legally carries a firearm.  I just know that the NCAA has a history of mixing politics and sports.  I don't want them taking away our ability to host events.  I also don't want fans to be scared away and for us to lose revenue.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

rhames

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 09:58:46 am
That is a risk anywhere. You have to take that into account before you draw your weapon.

Not really. Cops aren't always around. In this mass hysteria scinario they are.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 09:57:27 am
Given the liberal nature of the NCAA, I'm surprised as well.

I say that not because of any political leanings someone might think the NCAA has. I say it for reasons related to taking measures to try to at least prevent bad things they know might happen or at least lessen the probability of it. I'm sure they don't want people killed inside a venue sanctioned by them, bad publicity, games called off, lowered attendance, lawsuits filed, etc.

Sometimes preventative measures doesn't stop bad things from happening but it does protect the organization more.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HF#1

Quote from: factchecker on March 23, 2017, 10:00:45 am
I'm guessing that this is due to budgetary reasons or because pro stadiums sell alcohol thus metal detectors are required.

I personally don't mind if someone legally carries a firearm.  I just know that the NCAA has a history of mixing politics and sports.  I don't want them taking away our ability to host events.  I also don't want fans to be scared away and for us to lose revenue.

I personally do not care. I don't often go to games. Too expensive and too much hassle.  I go to the LR basketball game every year but I park close enough that I'm not worried about traveling to my vehicle. I can get in and out pretty quick.

I refuse to attend games at WMS for a variety of reasons and not being able to carry my weapon is one of them. There is nothing safe about walking back to your car at WMS.

HF#1

Quote from: rhames on March 23, 2017, 10:02:15 am

Not really. Cops aren't always around. In this mass hysteria scinario they are.

Again, you have to take that into account. Being aware of your situation and surroundings is part of being a responsible gun owner and concealed weapons license holder.  If a police officer is nearby, I know he is going to engage the shooter so I would be inclined to find cover rather than fight.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on March 23, 2017, 10:00:45 am

Some colleges play all their games in pro stadiums arena's and they still do its when the college plays. Besides they DO sell alcohol in RRS. I sit in one of those sections.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rhames

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 10:07:10 am
Again, you have to take that into account. Being aware of your situation and surroundings is part of being a responsible gun owner and concealed weapons license holder.  If a police officer is nearby, I know he is going to engage the shooter so I would be inclined to find cover rather than fight.

That's awesome and a reasonable​ response

The problem is not everyone in this scinario with a gun may be that reasonable

The truth is no one knows how they would really act in that situation. Having people with lack of training, 12 hours does not make one an expert in this scinario in my opinion, would just make an already chaotic situation much worse.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rhames on March 23, 2017, 10:12:24 am

That's awesome and a reasonable​ response

The problem is not everyone in this scinario with a gun may be that reasonable

The truth is no one knows how they would really act in that situation. Having people with lack of training, 12 hours does not make one an expert in this scinario in my opinion, would just make an ready chaotic situation much worse.

12 hours wouldn't even scratch the surface for enough training in that situation. Think about all the training police and special situation police units have to have. Heck they have to graduate from an academy and STILL get accused of not doing things right or acting right even when they do.

rhames

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 10:15:16 am
12 hours wouldn't even scratch the surface for enough training in that situation. Think about all the training police and special situation police units have to have. Heck they have to graduate from an academy and STILL get accused of not doing things right or acting right even when they do.

Totally agree.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 09:51:48 am
Not saying we got it free but we would let friends and others come by and join us.

Well, that's very nice of you. That's the fun side of tailgating. I'm looking forward to next fall. I want to stop by, say hi, and enjoy a beverage. Heck, I'll bring some snacks to share with the group.  ;D
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

311Hog

not looking forward to this.  we do not need people walking around campus packing heat.

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

When I got my CCL I was told you can't carry in government buildings and sporting events, did that change?

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

N HOG

Beach balls no.

Handguns yes.

Unbelievable.

This is present-day Arkansas.

010HogFan

I don't believe this will actually happen. A bunch of hysteria spreading that will end up being squashed by the time the lawmakers figure everything out.

hogcard1964

Quote from: 311Hog on March 23, 2017, 10:29:53 am
not looking forward to this.  we do not need people walking around campus packing heat.

Why?

parallaxpig

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 09:40:06 am
What physical measures currently in place keep folks from carrying a concealed weapons into DWRRS? Besides signs and laws?

U of A will begin implemented metal detector scanning at all football games in the future. They have purchased equipment and are testing it. It has to do with terrorist threat.  If u thought it took awhile to get thru gate, just wait. 
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

hogcard1964

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 23, 2017, 10:45:12 am
U of A will begin implemented metal detector scanning at all football games in the future. They have purchased equipment and are testing it. It has to do with terrorist threat.  If u thought it took awhile to get thru gate, just wait.

+1000

I don't mind this.  I regularly frequent White Sox baseball games and recently (over the past 3-4 years), I've noticed that it generally takes an additional 15-20 minutes to get into the park because of the screening.  It's for the good of everyone and I have no problem with it.

HighcountryHog

Absolutely horrible idea.  Don't act like there aren't idiots there that like to drink and let their emotions take over.  When Billy Bob shows up to the game with a 1/5th of whiskey in him, with two gay people sitting in front of him, and the officials make a game changing decision against Arkansas......watch out. 

no bumps, no fat chicks

hogcard1964

Quote from: HighcountryHog on March 23, 2017, 10:55:42 am
Absolutely horrible idea.  Don't act like there aren't idiots there that like to drink and let their emotions take over.  When Billy Bob shows up to the game with a 1/5th of whiskey in him, with two gay people sitting in front of him, and the officials make a game changing decision against Arkansas......watch out.

You think the two gay people will harass Billy Bob?

Those damn heterophobes!!!!

MTBrookHog

The SEC will get involved. You are going to have refs refusing to do our games for fear of their lives.

311Hog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 23, 2017, 10:41:35 am
Why?

Assuming this is a serious question.  Let me answer you simply.  UofA Campus is not Afghanistan, you do not need to be armed to be there. 

there is less than a .000000001% chance of being shot on campus why? because almost no one has a gun except the police who should have them.  If you add a bunch of people with guns or make people think they need a gun to live somewhere then people get accidentally shot, then people believe the only remedy to any situation is a gun.  "Kids today are sissyfied always quick to pick up a gun.  You think you a man with that gun in your hand don't ya?"  Im a man without it.

hogcard1964

Quote from: 311Hog on March 23, 2017, 11:04:33 am

Assuming this is a serious question.  Let me answer you simply.  UofA Campus is not Afghanistan, you do not need to be armed to be there. 

there is less than a .000000001% chance of being shot on campus why? because almost no one has a gun except the police who should have them.  If you add a bunch of people with guns or make people think they need a gun to live somewhere then people get accidentally shot, then people believe the only remedy to any situation is a gun.  "Kids today are sissyfied always quick to pick up a gun.  You think you a man with that gun in your hand don't ya?"  Im a man without it.

...and that's your right.  Just as it's my right to have and carry a gun.

311Hog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 23, 2017, 11:08:29 am
...and that's your right.  Just as it's my right to have and carry a gun.

Let me ask you why?

FYI i own guns, and no one i know is saying anything about people not being able to own or carry fire arms.  Just no need to bring them every damn place you go.  UofA Campus is quite literally the safest place in the world as is NWA.  If you can't exist there without a fire arm then you have a problem.

HighcountryHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 23, 2017, 10:57:36 am
You think the two gay people will harass Billy Bob?

Those damn heterophobes!!!!

When he sees them kissing, holding hands, or sharing their drink you better believe Billy Bob takes that as harassment.  The kind of person who brings a gun to a social sporting event is the kind of person that will use it to establish their "correctness."
no bumps, no fat chicks

hogcard1964

Quote from: 311Hog on March 23, 2017, 11:18:01 am
Let me ask you why?

FYI i own guns, and no one i know is saying anything about people not being able to own or carry fire arms.  Just no need to bring them every damn place you go.  UofA Campus is quite literally the safest place in the world as is NWA.  If you can't exist there without a fire arm then you have a problem.

I hate to answer a question with a question, but why not?  I'm not going to attempt to tell you what you should carry on your person and I'd expect the same courtesy.  That's none of my business.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: 010HogFan on March 23, 2017, 10:38:02 am
I don't believe this will actually happen. A bunch of hysteria spreading that will end up being squashed by the time the lawmakers figure everything out.

^^^this
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

redleg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 08:45:35 am
It's also the law of the land to be able to drink alcohol. You don't understand that not all rights are sacroscant in all places at all times.
I think every Constitutional Amendment is sacrosanct at any given moment in any given location. Then again, I value my rights over your feelings.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

311Hog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 23, 2017, 11:35:10 am
I hate to answer a question with a question, but why not?  I'm not going to attempt to tell you what you should carry on your person and I'd expect the same courtesy.  That's none of my business.

i can think of tons of reasons why not.  Number 1 among them is there is no bloody reason to have a gun on you at a football game or on campus in general.  The area is not dangerous, the only way someone is getting shot on the UA campus is if some paranoid frightful person accidentally shoots themselves or worse shoots someone else.

If you were attending a football in Little Rock, carrying a gun makes sense.  If you are on the Hill where literally less than 10 people are involved in shootings in a 50 mile radius in a year there is no reason at all to bring the potential for violence where there is no violence.

2 people get into a disagreement and want to resort to violence then you fight it out, and you live. 2 people get into an argument and one is a coward and pulls a gun out then WTH

jkstock04

Quote from: 311Hog on March 23, 2017, 11:04:33 am

How are you so certain almost no one has a gun except the police on campus? Do you think everyone is constantly getting searched?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hawgar The Horrible

Concealed carry is already permissible on college campuses in nearby Texas and Tennessee. Many other States within the SEC footprint allow firearms on campus as long as they are in a locked glove box. No need for hysteria as this is not a new debate limited to Arkansas.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

311Hog

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 23, 2017, 12:44:50 pm
How are you so certain almost no one has a gun except the police on campus? Do you think everyone is constantly getting searched?

Because you do not hear gun shots and people are not being shot.

Now this leads to the logical conclusions.

1. If UofA campus is so dangerous that it warrants the "Need" for civilians to carry fire arms then this bill would make sense.  UofA campus isn't dangerous

2. If "lots of people" are already walking around campus armed so how would i know?  why do you need a bill advertising to the people who aren't already carrying guns to now seek the ability to do so?

None of this bulldarn makes any sense at all.  Been in this area for almost 15 years there is no safer place in our country and perhaps this world.  Allowing people to open carry guns on campus will not prevent some "lightening strike" type active shooter scenario infact i would say it is more likely to cause one because people are already there armed and with very little training.

HF#1

Quote from: 311Hog on March 23, 2017, 11:18:01 am
Let me ask you why?

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

MJ2

Not a good idea at all.    Could be very unsafe environment for coaches and players - both home and visitors.

311Hog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 12:51:59 pm
Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

This isn't the old west, nor is it a warzone.  We do not need it here in NWA.

HF#1

Quote from: 311Hog on March 23, 2017, 12:49:49 pm
Because you do not hear gun shots and people are not being shot.

Now this leads to the logical conclusions.

1. If UofA campus is so dangerous that it warrants the "Need" for civilians to carry fire arms then this bill would make sense.  UofA campus isn't dangerous

2. If "lots of people" are already walking around campus armed so how would i know?  why do you need a bill advertising to the people who aren't already carrying guns to now seek the ability to do so?

None of this bulldarn makes any sense at all.  Been in this area for almost 15 years there is no safer place in our country and perhaps this world.  Allowing people to open carry guns on campus will not prevent some "lightening strike" type active shooter scenario infact i would say it is more likely to cause one because people are already there armed and with very little training.

It's not a preventative measure. It's not an indictment on the campus or the area. Nobody is questioning the safety of the area. It's simply freeing up the ability for people to carry their firearms on the campus. Why do people think this will automatically end up in more violence when the statistics clearly show the opposite?

I agree that advertising it probably isn't the best idea but that is on the press. The government giving us more ability to exercise our god given rights is big time news these days.

Quote from: redleg on March 23, 2017, 12:29:41 pm
I think every Constitutional Amendment is sacrosanct at any given moment in any given location. Then again, I value my rights over your feelings.
I'm going to exercise my constitutional right to call you a dumbass.

HF#1

Quote from: 311Hog on March 23, 2017, 12:55:57 pm
This isn't the old west, nor is it a warzone.  We do not need it here in NWA.

Famous last words. You have no idea when or where you may need it. My step father was killed 100 ft from his front door for 300 bucks in area that was thought to be "safe".

ICEman

It might give the Refs pause before they blow a bad whistle against the home team gridders.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

HF#1

Quote from: MJ2 on March 23, 2017, 12:53:44 pm
Not a good idea at all.    Could be very unsafe environment for coaches and players - both home and visitors.

You don't think people carry during tailgates? I would bet there have been people carrying in DWRRS for years despite the University saying No No!

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 12:58:39 pm
You don't think people carry during tailgates? I would bet there have been people carrying in DWRRS for years despite the University saying No No!
And it was illegal. The NRA says that we want more law-abiding citizens carrying guns. These people are not law abiding if they've ever had a gun on campus.

311Hog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 12:56:11 pm
It's not a preventative measure. It's not an indictment on the campus or the area. Nobody is questioning the safety of the area. It's simply freeing up the ability for people to carry their firearms on the campus. Why do people think this will automatically end up in more violence when the statistics clearly show the opposite?

I agree that advertising it probably isn't the best idea but that is on the press. The government giving us more ability to exercise our god given rights is big time news these days.

Preventing what?

NWA has a .000000000001 % crime rate.  If you cannot live peacefully here then you cannot live peacefully anywhere.

I ask you do you live here in NWA ? because i do and i have absolutely no need nor desire to carry my gun to campus or anywhere else in NWA.  Having a gun on you leads to the need for some to use it and there will not ever and has never been a need for it in this area.

That is like saying we need a nuclear missile to deal with fire ants.

You talk so matter of factly about walking around campus with a gun in your hand like it is a basketball or a nintendo ds.  No man it is a freaking gun. Guns have no other purpose than to shoot, and last time i checked there are not any gun ranges on campus.

HF#1

Quote from: Karma on March 23, 2017, 01:01:23 pm
And it was illegal. The NRA says that we want more law-abiding citizens carrying guns. These people are not law abiding if they've ever had a gun on campus.

True enough. I never have but then again, I don't frequent games much anymore. Too much hassle. My point is that there was never any measures in place to prevent it other than signs and laws. The issue here seems to be now that it's public, some folks think there will be gun fights at midfield. Which is just as absurd as the government having to tell us we can now do what was already determined as an inalienable right.

HF#1

Quote from: 311Hog on March 23, 2017, 01:02:46 pm
Preventing what?

NWA has a .000000000001 % crime rate.  If you cannot live peacefully here then you cannot live peacefully anywhere.

I ask you do you live here in NWA ? because i do and i have absolutely no need nor desire to carry my gun to campus or anywhere else in NWA.  Having a gun on you leads to the need for some to use it and there will not ever and has never been a need for it in this area.

That is like saying we need a nuclear missile to deal with fire ants.

You talk so matter of factly about walking around campus with a gun in your hand like it is a basketball or a nintendo ds.  No man it is a freaking gun. Guns have no other purpose than to shoot, and last time i checked there are not any gun ranges on campus.

I said it is NOT preventative measure. Read before you post. I don't carry a gun because I feel like I need it. I carry a gun because I have had a defenseless family member murdered (in what most consider a "safe" area) and made a decision that I owed it to my family to never be in that position.

mclyte

This law will certainly not help our recruiting.

311Hog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 12:57:04 pm
Famous last words. You have no idea when or where you may need it. My step father was killed 100 ft from his front door for 300 bucks in area that was thought to be "safe".
Did you not just say this? so tell me again how you are not saying it isn't a preventative measure.

Also tell me again how things would have been different if your step father had pulled out a gun from his waist band and started firing back? i am terribly sorry to hear that he died.

HF#1

Quote from: 311Hog on March 23, 2017, 01:07:49 pm
Did you not just say this? so tell me again how you are not saying it isn't a preventative measure.

Also tell me again how things would have been different if your step father had pulled out a gun from his waist band and started firing back? i am terribly sorry to hear that he died.

They shot him 5 times. Perhaps he shoots them and only gets shot once and survives? There are a million scenarios that could have played out. But he definitely had 0% chance of surviving without one, that much is clear.

Michael D Huff AIA

There is a reason why the words "well regulated" are in the 2nd Amendment.