Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WMT Inflation off the Chart!

Started by HawgWild, June 17, 2019, 12:40:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

You know those boxes at Walmart filled small bags of chips, 2 for $.98 - Flamin Hot Cheetos, Lays, etc. They're now priced 2 bags for $1.38!

ricepig

twistitup

They are also closing stores ....thing are changing.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

They are a;so opening stores, things never change.

twistitup

Closings are not a good sign...no matter how you cut it

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on June 18, 2019, 09:16:06 am

They are to us shareholders, when they reduce costs.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2019, 10:27:01 am
They are to us shareholders, when they reduce costs.

Rice...we all know closing are not good, but in this case they are correcting a mistake they made by oversaturating the markets. Walmart is its own worst enemy in many cases...how long have same store sales been decreasing?

WM has more comp now than ever...Amazon /Whole Foods, Aldi, the many dollar stores out there, high end / local grocers, farmers markets. Times are changing and Wal Mart has had a nice run, but just like other big dominant companies (Sears, Mont Ward, etc) their time at the top is coming to an end.

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on June 18, 2019, 10:47:14 am
Rice...we all know closing are not good, but in this case they are correcting a mistake they made by oversaturating the markets. Walmart is its own worst enemy in many cases...how long have same store sales been decreasing?

WM has more comp now than ever...Amazon /Whole Foods, Aldi, the many dollar stores out there, high end / local grocers, farmers markets. Times are changing and Wal Mart has had a nice run, but just like other big dominant companies (Sears, Mont Ward, etc) their time at the top is coming to an end.

Same store sells were up 3.4%, do you even know how to read a report?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/16/walmart-reports-first-quarter-earnings-for-fiscal-2020.html

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2019, 11:14:58 am
Same store sells were up 3.4%, do you even know how to read a report?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/16/walmart-reports-first-quarter-earnings-for-fiscal-2020.html

I don't just read 'reports'...I read current news.

-- to keep the same sales trend going they are closing stores.....

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/walmart-store-closures-may-be-caused-by-its-own-growth-study-172456954.html

"That finding was made by data analytics firm Placer, which used location analytics to examine where Walmart was closing stores. The firm found that, rather than being the latest victim of retail's ugly store closure trend, Walmart was largely cannibalizing its own traffic."

Walmart is downsizing to keep same store sales improving....it's very simple. They are closing more locations than they are opening in the coming year.

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on June 18, 2019, 11:45:35 am
I don't just read 'reports'...I read current news.

-- to keep the same sales trend going they are closing stores.....

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/walmart-store-closures-may-be-caused-by-its-own-growth-study-172456954.html

"That finding was made by data analytics firm Placer, which used location analytics to examine where Walmart was closing stores. The firm found that, rather than being the latest victim of retail's ugly store closure trend, Walmart was largely cannibalizing its own traffic."

Walmart is downsizing to keep same store sales improving....it's very simple. They are closing more locations than they are opening in the coming year.

So, closing those stores wasn't bad, which is what I said earlier, thank you for agreeing.

twistitup

June 18, 2019, 11:55:30 am #10 Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:09:01 pm by twistitup
Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2019, 11:53:20 am
So, closing those stores wasn't bad, which is what I said earlier, thank you for agreeing.

It's not bad, but it's also a sign.

WM didn't build those stores with the plan of closing them...they built them based on tons of data saying those locations would work. They invested millions in those locations but demand has recently decreased due to competition and now those locations are being closed (the article is linked above).

It's good for profitablity they are closing those locations, but it's not a good big picture sign for WM.

Remember, it was also good for Sears to close locations that weren't profitable...eventually they had fewer and fewer profitable stores - and now they don't really exist.

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on June 18, 2019, 11:55:30 am
It's not bad, but it's also a sign.

WM didn't build those stores with the plan of closing them...they built them based on tons of data saying those locations would work. They invested millions in those locations but demand has recently decreased due to competition and now those locations are being closed (the article is linked above).

It's good for profitablity they are closing those locations, but it's not a good big picture sign for WM.

Remember, it was also good for Sears to close locations that weren't profitable...eventually they had fewer and fewer profitable stores - and now they don't really exist.

WM's own data said they were taking away customers from their own stores. They built two Neighborhood Markets in town that are within 1 1/2 miles from two different Supercenters, didn't necessarily make sense to me, but they have a lot better idea on market saturation than either of us. It made me happy, I don't have to go to the nearest Supercenter for what shopping I do at WM.

And to compare Sears and WM, well, that's laughable.

twistitup

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on June 18, 2019, 01:07:56 pm
Laughable?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fool.com/amp/investing/2018/10/16/now-bankrupt-sears-was-once-the-amazon-and-walmart.aspx

So, Amazon is going under too?

Big difference, WM is way ahead in taking steps to make sure it competes on every platform. But, who knows who will be the big dog in another 50 years, I know I don't care.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2019, 01:10:37 pm
So, Amazon is going under too?

Big difference, WM is way ahead in taking steps to make sure it competes on every platform. But, who knows who will be the big dog in another 50 years, I know I don't care.

Amazon is a baby compared to WM- ...and no they aren't way ahead- they are playing catch up

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on June 18, 2019, 02:33:56 pm
Amazon is a baby compared to WM- ...and no they aren't way ahead- they are playing catch up

To where Sears was 30 years ago, sure they are. Quit moving the freaking goalposts on every point, lol. This started with you saying things were changing because they're closing stores, they've been closing stores for years, and opening new ones. They also lay off employees, and hire employees every year, it's business.

HawgWild

Guys, guys! Stick to the topic. We're talking about run away inflation on Cheetos and Potato Chips! On another note, got my WMT statement today reinvesting my dividend. I guess a 40% increase in chips ought to lead to an even bigger dividend in the future.

ricepig

Quote from: HawgWild on June 18, 2019, 03:56:41 pm
Guys, guys! Stick to the topic. We're talking about run away inflation on Cheetos and Potato Chips! On another note, got my WMT statement today reinvesting my dividend. I guess a 40% increase in chips ought to lead to an even bigger dividend in the future.

Yeah, but they lowered, rolled back in WM terms, my packaged salad mix from $1.52 to $.92, that's a wash on your chips, and better for me. I buy my chips at Kroger anyway........

thebignasty

I don't think Walmart is going anywhere soon.  Its good business to figure out which locations aren't as profitable as they could be and trim them.  They went through a phase where they didn't particularly strategically approach opening new stores, closing some of them is a good correction.

Not a sign of the end times.

twistitup

Quote from: thebignasty on June 18, 2019, 04:37:48 pm
I don't think Walmart is going anywhere soon.

It took years for Sears, Mont Ward, Gibson's, Kmart, etc.....to fall. Giants like WM don't fall quickly -

I believe businesses, for the most part, have a lifespan. Wal Mart may not ever completely go away, but the days of dominance are over.

Here is another example of a major retailer that thought the good times would never end:

http://garagedlx.com/the-story-of-gibsons/

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on June 18, 2019, 05:25:28 pm
It took years for Sears, Mont Ward, Gibson's, Kmart, etc.....to fall. Giants like WM don't fall quickly -

I believe businesses, for the most part, have a lifespan. Wal Mart may not ever completely go away, but the days of dominance are over.

Here is another example of a major retailer that thought the good times would never end:

As the largest employer in the US, you should hope they don't "completely go away". They'll be here long after you and I are gone.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2019, 05:44:17 pm
As the largest employer in the US, you should hope they don't "completely go away". They'll be here long after you and I are gone.

I don't HOPE they go away....but paying attention to and learning from history is very important. History says that even the largest companies eventually fail, why would WM be any different?

Creative destruction happens...

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on June 18, 2019, 06:03:02 pm
I don't HOPE they go away....but paying attention to and learning from history is very important. History says that even the largest companies eventually fail, why would WM be any different?

Creative destruction happens...

I hate to break the news to you, but they have people a lot smarter than you or me working to make sure that doesn't happen. As to eventually, the world as we know it will eventually "fail", too.1

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2019, 06:27:19 pm
I hate to break the news to you, but they have people a lot smarter than you or me working to make sure that doesn't happen. As to eventually, the world as we know it will eventually "fail", too.1

Smart people are at the top of every successful company, they don't reach top levels w/o the best people... but a lifespan is a lifespan - WM has had a very good run, but they will reach an end like many other large companies.

They may not die, maybe they go the route of JC Penny and just sell online. Maybe the go all neighborhood markets?  Who knows...but big box / b&m retail is dying eveywhere - WM is not immune

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on June 18, 2019, 06:32:11 pm
Smart people are at the top of every successful company, they don't reach top levels w/o the best people... but a lifespan is a lifespan - WM has had a very good run, but they will reach an end like many other large companies.

They may not die, maybe they go the route of JC Penny and just sell online. Maybe the go all neighborhood markets?  Who knows...but big box / b&m retail is dying eveywhere - WM is not immune

Really going out on a limb aren't ya? Online may not even exist in 20 years, who knows what will replace it. You keep worrying about this, I'll come back to this every year and see where your new goalpost, err....target on their demise is. Take care.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on June 18, 2019, 06:55:06 pm
Really going out on a limb aren't ya? Online may not even exist in 20 years, who knows what will replace it. You keep worrying about this, I'll come back to this every year and see where your new goalpost, err....target on their demise is. Take care.

I'll sit back and watch, not targeting their demise - just making predictions based on historical evidence.

btw, Sears won't die either....but it will never be SEARS again

thebignasty

Quote from: twistitup on June 18, 2019, 05:25:28 pm

I mean if your argument is that existence is finite, then sure.  Everyone dies.

If your argument is that Walmart is in some kind of trouble as evidenced by closing some stores they decided weren't performing well enough, nah.

Net sales have grown year over year for 13 of the last 14 years.  Had the highest net sales in the history of the company last year, and will set a new bar this year.

Walmart is in a better position to transition to ecommerce than any of its brick and mortar competitors.  Either way, the future appears to be a combination of brick and mortar and online- look at Amazon buying Whole Foods and testing its own brick and mortar retail concepts.

Nothing points to Walmart being on the decline, right now.

Unrelated side note, had to get an air filter the other day and decided to brave Wallyworld to snag it.  Looks like they rent trucks now.  Weird darn.

twistitup

Quote from: thebignasty on June 18, 2019, 07:44:05 pm
I mean if your argument is that existence is finite, then sure.  Everyone dies.

If your argument is that Walmart is in some kind of trouble as evidenced by closing some stores they decided weren't performing well enough, nah.

Net sales have grown year over year for 13 of the last 14 years.  Had the highest net sales in the history of the company last year, and will set a new bar this year.

Walmart is in a better position to transition to ecommerce than any of its brick and mortar competitors.  Either way, the future appears to be a combination of brick and mortar and online- look at Amazon buying Whole Foods and testing its own brick and mortar retail concepts.

Nothing points to Walmart being on the decline, right now.

Unrelated side note, had to get an air filter the other day and decided to brave Wallyworld to snag it.  Looks like they rent trucks now.  Weird darn.

I saw the same - yes...they rent truck, by the hour!

My predictions about WM are general in terms of big companies failing over time - and each company having a lifespan. At one point I think it was 45 years, it's now down to the mid 20's I believe.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Wondering how many people in this thread do business with or work for Walmart.

Take it from one person that does. They are fine.  Yes they probably have a finite life span but they have learned from their own & others mistakes so they are extending that out much like a person can by living a healthy lifestyle.

They are not afraid to innovate or change which was a problem for companies in the past like Sears. They try new things. If they work, great if not they learn what they can and move on.

Amazon is the worst & best thing that could have happened to them. Worst in that it's a fierce competitior, best in that it forces them to keep up and invest in many of the same technologies & channels.  Companies, teams, individuals need healthy competition to push & challenge them. It makes them all better. 

Also don't blame rising costs on WM because they do everything they can to squeeze every last penny out of the supply chain so they can offer best prices to consumers. They do however realize as we should that suppliers need to make money. 

Tariffs are going to be the biggest immediate threat to prices. Companies are investing heavily to produce out of countries such as Cambodia and Vietnam because labor in China was rising & now due to tariffs. 

Even though I've made moderate stacks dealing with WM I'm not their biggest fan. They have improved wages, working conditions, & opportunities but still have a ways to go.

Lastly though near future looks as good for them as any retailer. Biggest threat is a downturn in the economy, but they have survived those in the past as well. They just learn, innovate squeeze out more cost & move on.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HawgWild

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on June 19, 2019, 08:37:05 am
Tariffs are going to be the biggest immediate threat to prices.

So ricepig was right about the Tariffs being responsible for the increase in my Flamin Hot Cheetos? I didn't know.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: twistitup on June 18, 2019, 09:16:06 am
All retailers open and close stores. If they were only closing stores then there is something to consider. All companies scale back from time to time. There are theses things called P&L statements, Balance Sheets and other things that stockholders like to see look good.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

twistitup

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 04, 2019, 07:36:28 am

All retailers open and close stores. If they were only closing stores then there is something to consider. All companies scale back from time to time. There are theses things called P&L statements, Balance Sheets and other things that stockholders like to see look good.

I understand.

....I wonder if they  regret leaving  all those  small towns that the dollar store now controls

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: twistitup on August 04, 2019, 07:43:20 am
I understand.

....I wonder if they  regret leaving  all those  small towns that the dollar store now controls

Depends on the small town. No regrets though if any particular store wasn't profitable. Also there are some early warning signs that those dollar stores aren't performing as well as some might believe.

twistitup

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 04, 2019, 07:45:37 am
Depends on the small town. No regrets though if any particular store wasn't profitable. Also there are some early warning signs that those dollar stores aren't performing as well as some might believe.

Profit is only one aspect....control of territory is another. Most people now have to drive past 2 dollar stores to get to a WM. Wm leaving these town also left a bad taste and DS is seen as a savior.

It's more than simply financial performance that I'm talking about. Wm should have built  their own small format stores in those towns (staffed by 2 people)- if for nothing else thsn to protect their territory.

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on August 04, 2019, 08:12:06 am
Profit is only one aspect....control of territory is another. Most people now have to drive past 2 dollar stores to get to a WM. Wm leaving these town also left a bad taste and DS is seen as a savior.

It's more than simply financial performance that I'm talking about. Wm should have built  their own small format stores in those towns (staffed by 2 people)- if for nothing else thsn to protect their territory.

I think WM is doing alright without having "little" stores that don't fit their philosophy. If DS can make it work, good for them, and there's a reason people will drive past those two DS stores to get to a WM, lol.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on August 04, 2019, 10:33:58 am
I think WM is doing alright without having "little" stores that don't fit their philosophy. If DS can make it work, good for them, and there's a reason people will drive past those two DS stores to get to a WM, lol.

Oh....they tried and failed

Do you forget the 'express' locations....now they are most successful in small marketplace stores that staff way too many people.

Wal Mart is all over the place w their 'philosophy'

I was raised in a small town in TX where the old men at McDonalds STILL sit around and complain about Wal Mart leaving 20 years ago - the town now has 2 dollar stores - total of 6 staff members combined. Smart strategy compared to Wal Mart in my opinion. They will never BE wal mart, just a super profitable thorn in their side.

HawgWild

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 04, 2019, 07:45:37 am

My take on the DS are that they're similar to the "locally owned Sears stores". The owners probably put in 60 - 70 hour weeks for a net income of $35 to 45k. I may be wrong but that's the impression I have.

twistitup

Quote from: HawgWild on August 04, 2019, 03:31:20 pm
My take on the DS are that they're similar to the "locally owned Sears stores". The owners probably put in 60 - 70 hour weeks for a net income of $35 to 45k. I may be wrong but that's the impression I have.

I compare them to to Aldi when it comes to how it operates. LOW labor that doesn't make much. Most stores only have 1-2 people on shift making about 10-12$ per hour (mgr makes a bit more). 8am-10pm hours (14 hour day)... with only 300.00 in labor spent per day and very cheaply built building that are steel / metal w very little upkeep. HOW are they not super profitable?

It depends on location, but I think the profit is great. Like WM, some do better than others - but even w sales of 3-4,000 per day - 21- 28,000 per week - over 100,000 per month.

1.2 mill a year

and only 60,000 in labor expense per year

...and now they sell alcohol too (big profit)

Lots of meat left on the bone for somebody.

ricepig

August 04, 2019, 05:34:03 pm #39 Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 05:44:23 pm by ricepig
Quote from: twistitup on August 04, 2019, 04:18:31 pm
I compare them to to Aldi when it comes to how it operates. LOW labor that doesn't make much. Most stores only have 1-2 people on shift making about 10-12$ per hour (mgr makes a bit more). 8am-10pm hours (14 hour day)... with only 300.00 in labor spent per day and very cheaply built building that are steel / metal w very little upkeep. HOW are they not super profitable?

It depends on location, but I think the profit is great. Like WM, some do better than others - but even w sales of 3-4,000 per day - 21- 28,000 per week - over 100,000 per month.

1.2 mill a year

Just get some big boy, since it's so easy, lol.

https://edwardspoonhands.com/dollar-general-franchise-cost-opportunities-info.html

thebignasty

Quote from: twistitup on August 04, 2019, 04:18:31 pm

1.2 mill a year

Margin on beer and wine sucks for retailers.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: twistitup on June 18, 2019, 07:43:09 pm
I'll sit back and watch, not targeting their demise - just making predictions based on historical evidence.

btw, Sears won't die either....but it will never be SEARS again

....you got all this from the price of a bag of chips? Wow.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pat Goss

Quote from: twistitup on June 18, 2019, 10:47:14 am

DG just put in 3 stores down in Sheridan all on roads going into town towards Walmart. are there even 5000 people there.
Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 16, 2020, 06:04:44 pm
That all you got, Pat? No royal family or Taylor Swift news today?

Quote from: Pat Goss on July 16, 2020, 06:06:07 pm
Taylor has a vinyl album out

Pat Goss

back during the wonderful obama years the contents of every package on the shelf decreased 25% while the price remained the same so that no inflation was recorded.
Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 16, 2020, 06:04:44 pm
That all you got, Pat? No royal family or Taylor Swift news today?

Quote from: Pat Goss on July 16, 2020, 06:06:07 pm
Taylor has a vinyl album out