Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Running Thread

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, July 31, 2013, 06:18:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

ahh, it's been a while since anyone has posted in here, even longer for me.  Back out pounding the pavement, working on dropping another 15lbs.  I'm using RunKeeper for a training plan "Fat Loss".  Yesterday was a pretty tough workout, run "fast" for 3mins/run "steady" for 3mins x 5 cycles.  I got it done, but the pain came later....about 1130 last night with severe leg cramps.  Not to be deterred though, will be back at it tomorrow for a steady 40min run.

Pulled out...

hawgrunner

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 02, 2015, 07:54:46 am
ahh, it's been a while since anyone has posted in here, even longer for me.  Back out pounding the pavement, working on dropping another 15lbs.  I'm using RunKeeper for a training plan "Fat Loss".  Yesterday was a pretty tough workout, run "fast" for 3mins/run "steady" for 3mins x 5 cycles.  I got it done, but the pain came later....about 1130 last night with severe leg cramps.  Not to be deterred though, will be back at it tomorrow for a steady 40min run.

Pulled out...

Good Job!

hawgrunner

Pulled(PP)pork

I really do love running. The knees are so much better than when I resumed. Got my 40 in this morning first thing, 4mi/10mm pace.

PP

hawgrunner

Did a short 2.1 after work!

Coondog Hog

I ran the full marathon at the Hogeye and met all my goals but it really did a number on me between the ears. I went over 2 months and only logged 2 miles.  I've lost a ton of conditioning and gained 10 lbs.  I started back this week with an easy 2 mile run to get my legs loose. I just didn't want to run for a while.  Working on getting my MOJO back now.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

goshog

I've got a question for some of you guys. Are any of you former smokers? With the arrival of my new baby girl I have decided to put down the cigarettes and try to get myself into better shape so that I can be there in her future. My problem is, obviously stamina. I'm only 25, 6'1 210lbs and I can't hardly run 10 minutes without sucking wind. If one of y'all are former smokers, how long did it take for you to be able to build up your stamina?

Hogberry Snortcake

hilljack

Goshog,  I'd recommend you look up a beginner running training plan (like couch to 5K) on the internets.  Don't focus on negatives as you start out, look at the improvements you're making instead.  Most beginner training plans will start with something like an easy 2 mile run/walk then progress into a 5K (3.2 miles) in 10-12 weeks.  If you like competition, or need a goal, sign up for a local 5K and focus on finishing and having fun not time. 

Since  you're giving up smoking, your body is going to go through some gnarly withdrawals so you'll want go easy on the running at first.  You don't want to shock your body too much or you'll get frustrated and quit running and take up smoking again.  If you're looking for overall health improvements, be sure to pick a sport that you truly enjoy... or pick multiple sports for a challenge/variety.   

For some stupid reason I took up smoking as a part timer in college and went from running a 4:50 mile to something like a 10 - 11 minute mile.  I also slowed down because I wasn't racing competitively anymore.  When I started to run again it took me a few months to get down to a respectable pace.  Now at nearly 40 years old and smoke free for about 5 years, I run a solid 8:30 pace over a 10K.  Still trying to get it down to around 7:30 while learning to deal with all the aches and pains that come along with age.   

Pulled(PP)pork

Can't add anything to that, congrats on the daughter and the stopping cigarettes

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Picked up a Fitbit Flex HR off Amazon, will get it tomorrow.  Look forward to not having to carry my phone and ease of use vs. my garmin 410.  plus, I can track a whole days worth of activity and calorie burning.

Running is going, but not as smoothly as I have expected.  I definitely haven't progressed in my times and distance compared to the last time (when I started this thread)

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

didn't like the flex, too small (that's what she said), tried the Surge, didn't have the capabilities I wanted.  Ended up going back to my Garmin 410, ordered a new ANT stick.

btw, for the first time ever, ran in the rain and loved it....it was the lightning that sucked.

PP

hawgrunner

Delicious~Dreams

I broke in a new pair of shoes today and yes, shin splints suck!!   

Pulled(PP)pork

I've been blessed not to have those or side stitches....but my knees ache at times

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Hit the 1hr mark this morning, just shy of a 10min/MI pace. Good start to the day!

PP

ZERO

Rather than start a new topic, I'll just ask this question here. I'm a novice runner, and I'm trying to work my way up to a 5K with this program I found online. It's called Couch to 5K if other novice runners are interested (or, c25k as they call it). Does anyone have a favorite place to run that isn't asphalt or sidewalk so I can minimize shin injuries that they would recommend? I'm not a big fan of the off-road trail at Lake Fayetteville because of it's uneven and sometimes rocky terrain.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

HawgPilot

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 01, 2015, 09:04:16 am
Hit the 1hr mark this morning, just shy of a 10min/MI pace. Good start to the day!

PP
  Thats awesome!  I'm trying to get better at biking and its kicking my butt, as I'm really slow.  But, like you, I'm getting out there 3 days/wk and riding. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Dang hotel didn't have a treadmill, had to do my workout on the elliptical

PP

hawgrunner

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 29, 2015, 06:38:39 am
I've been blessed not to have those or side stitches....but my knees ache at times

PP

That's good.

hawgrunner

Quote from: ZERO on July 02, 2015, 04:48:49 pm
Rather than start a new topic, I'll just ask this question here. I'm a novice runner, and I'm trying to work my way up to a 5K with this program I found online. It's called Couch to 5K if other novice runners are interested (or, c25k as they call it). Does anyone have a favorite place to run that isn't asphalt or sidewalk so I can minimize shin injuries that they would recommend? I'm not a big fan of the off-road trail at Lake Fayetteville because of it's uneven and sometimes rocky terrain.

I'm thinking unless your willing to drive out of town a that's your only options. But working your way up to 5K... I would think at that distances the surfaces of the Mud or Scull Creek Trail's wouldn't be an issue.

cubsfan5150

Anyone ever developed fibrous tumors in your feet from running?
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Pulled(PP)pork

Can't say I've heard of that, sounds painful

PP

hog.goblin

Quote from: ZERO on July 02, 2015, 04:48:49 pm

I often see runners in the grass at Drake and Garland running a path.

Pulled(PP)pork

July 11, 2015, 01:37:14 pm #524 Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 03:44:19 pm by Pulled(PP)pork
I just can't do it, it's hardtop or nothing (except a treadmill).  just doesn't feel comfortable for me. 

on a side note, really have hit a brick wall with my running....it's like I just can't get enough air in, like my lungs are full.

PP

HawgPilot

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 11, 2015, 01:37:14 pm
I just can't do it, it's hardtop or nothing (except a treadmill).  just doesn't feel comfortable for me. 

on a side note, really have his a brick wall with my running....it's like I just can't get enough air in, like my lungs are full.

PP

Could be this time of year.  The heat and humidity makes it feel like you can't breathe.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: HawgPilot on July 11, 2015, 03:42:55 pm
Could be this time of year.  The heat and humidity makes it feel like you can't breathe.
I thought that when I was running in Manila....sheesh, it was night and day compaired to west tn.

PP

hog.goblin

Quote from: hog.goblin on July 11, 2015, 01:33:51 pm
I often see runners in the grass at Drake and Garland running a path.

Agri-Park.  Assuming any runner can hop on it without a problem.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/agri-park/

hawgrunner

Nice quick 5K on the southern Lake Fayetteville trail!

hawgrunner

Didn't know if we needed a hike thread but here are a few pic from today's hike at Hawksbill Crag Trail/Whitaker Point Trail...

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

Pulled(PP)pork

nice, I like to hike, if I'm wearing the proper clothes, lol

PP

HawgPilot

Man the weather was great this morning!  I had my personal best 5k this today at 21:28!

Delicious~Dreams

That's good time!   The break in weather has been nice.   I seem to be in a slump....can't get my mind into my runs here lately.   I think I need new music or something.   I'm at 700 miles for the year and I have a feeling I'm going to be hard pressed to meet 1000 by the end of the year if something doesn't change. 

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hawgrunner on July 20, 2015, 11:46:14 pm
Didn't know if we needed a hike thread but here are a few pic from today's hike at Hawksbill Crag Trail/Whitaker Point Trail...

Thanks Hawgrunner....   Hawksbill hike is one of the best.   I try to get to it every chance I can......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hawgrunner

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: HawgPilot on August 20, 2015, 10:02:46 am
Man the weather was great this morning!  I had my personal best 5k this today at 21:28!

Congratulations, that is a very good time.  Do you mind if I ask your age range?

Pulled(PP)pork

started back this week, downloaded a free app that I love so far.  with my being deaf, it has always been a struggle to use apps that "alert" me with sounds.  this new app alerts me with vibration, and breaks a 40 minute run into manageable parts.  Not too sore or tired afterwards and getting some distance and calories burned too.

PP

HawgPilot

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on October 09, 2015, 04:23:40 pm
Congratulations, that is a very good time.  Do you mind if I ask your age range?

I turned 41 in June.

root_hawg

Best place to get running shoes in the central Arkansas area?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: root_hawg on February 13, 2016, 10:47:04 pm
imho, search Brooks running shoes, go from there

PP

HawgPilot

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on February 14, 2016, 11:38:21 am
imho, search Brooks running shoes, go from there

PP

agreed.  I love my Brooks gts 15

Pulled(PP)pork

I need to replace my Ghost 6

PP

Boll Hawg

Just replaced my Ghost 7's with some 8's.  Bought them at Academy Sports as they were the only ones that carried them in the grey color I like.  You can't go wrong with Brooks.  Best running shoes I've ever had. 
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

PintailKiller

Quote from: root_hawg on February 13, 2016, 10:47:04 pm

Rock City Running n WLR off Rodney Parham.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

HawgPilot

I ran in the Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon in New Orleans this weekend.  It was a blast and I accomplished a new PR.  It was a lively event and very flat.  Perfect day for a fast run.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: HawgPilot on March 01, 2016, 09:59:18 am
I ran in the Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon in New Orleans this weekend.  It was a blast and I accomplished a new PR.  It was a lively event and very flat.  Perfect day for a fast run.
nice, wish I had that gear.  I'm picking up my new Brooks Ghost 8 in Jonesboro tomorrow

PP

HawgPilot

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on March 01, 2016, 11:02:25 am
nice, wish I had that gear.  I'm picking up my new Brooks Ghost 8 in Jonesboro tomorrow

PP

Bought my first pair of the Ghost 8 while in NO.  Looking forward to running in them.