Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

22 Games In...who would you start?

Started by hogsgolfpro, January 31, 2018, 08:29:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsgolfpro

I would go Barford, Macon, Hall, Gafford, Thompson...on a side note, I think Barford and Macon need to be on court together first 6-8 minutes,last 6-8 minutes, and then at least one of them the 4-8 minutes in between. Drives me nuts when neither of them are on the court and its not because of fouls.

A-Town Hog Fan

Lord help us all!

Danny J

I could get on board with that. I could also get on board with Jones in place of Thompson and move Hall to the 4. IMO Hall is our best defender 1-3.

3of5-2

Corliss, Beck, Sidney, Joe, and Martin Terry, and Eugene Nash as the 6th man.

hoglady

I think we had a group that were playing extremely well together last night for a stretch in the first half - they should have stayed in the game longer and tried to bury the Aggies right then. I understand MA wants to stick to his sub rotation and I understand the reasons for it. But sometimes just leave the guys in who are playing well together.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

alohawg

Quote from: hoglady on January 31, 2018, 08:40:53 pm
I think we had a group that were playing extremely well together last night for a stretch in the first half - they should have stayed in the game longer and tried to bury the Aggies right then. I understand MA wants to stick to his sub rotation and I understand the reasons for it. But sometimes just leave the guys in who are playing well together.

This drives me crazy. All you have to do is look at the results, it's not working.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: A-Town Hog Fan on January 31, 2018, 08:34:29 pm
Barford
Macon
Hall
Gafford
Thomas
Exactly this. Good to see someone in this forum knows how to shake up a line-up. With Thompson's playing around the free throw line or elbow given his passing skills, we could run a 'high-low' post action with the ball in Thompson hands much of the time. Down low with Gafford, he could set picks for our three point shooters running the baseline. Also Gafford could occasionally roll off the pick and catch our opposition where he was one on one 5 feet from the basket where Gafford would score almost everytime one on one. Also, the outside shooters would get plenty of looks at open 3's. Actually we have the type of talent that can run this unstoppable offense.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HogBreath

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 31, 2018, 08:40:19 pm
Corliss, Beck, Sidney, Joe, and Martin Terry, and Eugene Nash as the 6th man.
You could take Sidney, put any four other Razorbacks with him, and have a great great team.

They could turn the fast forty in to Hoya paranoia.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

BDSCT51

Jones
Hall
Macon
Gafford
Holmes

I see a LOT of heart in the youngsters and Holmes. Surely Holmes won't turn the ball over or make as many stupid plays as I've seen lately. I know he'd make an attempt to pass the ball for darn sure!

Bleeding Razorback Red

BDSCT51

Bleeding Razorback Red

3of5-2

Quote from: HogBreath on February 01, 2018, 05:35:22 am
You could take Sidney, put any four other Razorbacks with him, and have a great great team.

They could turn the fast forty in to Hoya paranoia.
I would be ok with that.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hoglady on January 31, 2018, 08:40:53 pm

Team still not hitting on all cylinders. Got Darius going now Gafford and Jones have tailed off. Taking a lot longer than usual for everyone to get on the same page.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hawg IQ

Quote from: hogsgolfpro on January 31, 2018, 08:29:51 pm
I would go Barford, Macon, Hall, Gafford, Thompson...on a side note, I think Barford and Macon need to be on court together first 6-8 minutes,last 6-8 minutes, and then at least one of them the 4-8 minutes in between. Drives me nuts when neither of them are on the court and its not because of fouls.
the whole team needs to shoot 100 free throws after each practice! They are leaving 10-20 points not scored each game. plus,if other team is shooting their free throws better that could be  a huge swing with no clock running. Think about it !
go hogs go !

3of5-2

Quote from: hawg IQ on February 01, 2018, 08:04:38 am
the whole team needs to shoot 100 free throws after each practice! They are leaving 10-20 points not scored each game. plus,if other team is shooting their free throws better that could be  a huge swing with no clock running. Think about it !
They need to MAKE 100 free throws after each practice, even if it takes them shooting 500 of them to get there.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: A-Town Hog Fan on January 31, 2018, 08:34:29 pm
Barford
Macon
Hall
Gafford
Thomas

The only difference here and OP is Thomas/Thompson.  While Gafford is going through growing pains I think he still provides more +'s than -'s and is at least getting valuable experience. 

We never know with Thomas, Thompson, or Cook (all seniors) we are going to get.  The one's that can provide a little offense and rebounding or the ones that produce turnovers, fouls, and take 15 foot jumpers that kill the momentum during a comeback.  Everyone has off nights but these guy's "on" nights seem to be the exception so much so that it's surprise when they produce and usually a significant factor in a win.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

cardsNhogs

The_Iceman

I dont really care who starts, but id finish with:

Barford
Macon
Jones
Hall
Gafford

Against bigger opponents, trade out Thompson for Jones. This smaller lineup gets a spot up shooter on the floor for Barford and Macon to kick to. It gets Hall in offensive mismatch situations against bigger 4s that can't guard him. This may be our best scoring lineup.

steveaustin69

Quote from: BDSCT51 on February 01, 2018, 05:39:05 am
Jones
Hall
Macon
Gafford
Holmes

I see a LOT of heart in the youngsters and Holmes. Surely Holmes won't turn the ball over or make as many stupid plays as I've seen lately. I know he'd make an attempt to pass the ball for darn sure!

Everyone knows heart wins basketball games.

So we're gonna start four guards? None of which are big or good enough defensively to guard a typical wing.

Aren't we near the bottom in the nation in rebounding? How's that gonna get better w four guys 6'5" or shorter on the court.

Did you really just say a 5'10" (that listing is incredibly generous) walk on with 23 career minutes to his name and a career 33% shooting percentage should start? 

I see some wild suggestions on this site, but good grief.

Busta_Nutt

Barford
Macon
Jones
Hall
Gafford
--------
Bailey
Thomas
Thompson
Cook
Osabuohien
Holmes
Plummer
John Nabors
Bo Mattingly
Randy Rainwater
Rick Schaeffer
Beard

hogsanity

To me it is not who would you start, it is who would you just not play at all. I'd never let Thomas, Cook or Bailey on the floor as long as the game was in doubt.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

steveaustin69

Quote from: hogsanity on February 01, 2018, 10:43:24 am
To me it is not who would you start, it is who would you just not play at all. I'd never let Thomas, Cook or Bailey Beard on the floor as long as the game was in doubt ever.

FIFY

WillsWorld

Macon
Barford
Jones
Hall
Gafford

The fact that Anderson keeps benching Macon to start games is absurd. He provides an offensive boost and each of the last 3 games when he hasn't started we got into a hole in at least 1 of 2 halves. 1st half vs UGA, Both halves vs OKST, and 2nd half vs A&M.

VirginiaHog

Beard
Barford
Hall
Thomas
Thompson

Subbed by
Macon
Jones
Bailey
Cook
Gafford

Letsroll1200

I don't think Mike is willing to take Beard out the line up.
Beard is 7-26 in the last 3 games. However my biggest issue with Beard is 3-13 from the 3 point line in the last 3 games. Even worse he's 3-8 from the free throw line the last 3 games. Guys that's not 50% from your starting point guard.

He's flat out not getting it done. You have to go with Macon. It's not personal its about production. The Hogs are winning despite Anton Beard.

RazorMack

b-ball coach

Barford
Macon
Jones
Hall
Gafford

Against bigger opponents, trade out Thompson for Jones. This smaller lineup gets a spot up shooter on the floor for Barford and Macon to kick to. It gets Hall in offensive mismatch situations against bigger 4s that can't guard him. This may be our best scoring lineup.

So true and against the dreaded 2-3 zone put Barford in the high post as the playmaker. The few times we have accidentally done that; we have scored at will because the zone sags tighter to him and we get wide open threes or if the zone gets extended he scores in the FT area. Thomas, Cook, Bailey and THompson have proven they can't provide offense against the zone.

hogfanny

Beard seems to be absent from almost all the fans lineup. Wish he would play better cause we all know he IS going to be in there even at the cost of success. 2 more months.

Hawg Red

G - Barford
G - Macon
F - Hall
F - Bailey
C - Gafford

I still believe in Bailey. Him or Dustin Thomas at one forward spot was the only question for me. Hall has progressed enough offensively that it wouldn't hurt for him and Bailey to start together. I think Beard, Jones, Thomas, Thompson and then Cook and Gabe splitting minutes is a good 2nd unit.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogfanny on February 02, 2018, 09:53:17 am
Beard seems to be absent from almost all the fans lineup. Wish he would play better cause we all know he IS going to be in there even at the cost of success. 2 more months.

Mike says he's a miniature Cory Beck.

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Franchise_Hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 02, 2018, 10:04:04 am
G - Barford
G - Macon
F - Hall
F - Bailey
C - Gafford

I still believe in Bailey. Him or Dustin Thomas at one forward spot was the only question for me. Hall has progressed enough offensively that it wouldn't hurt for him and Bailey to start together. I think Beard, Jones, Thomas, Thompson and then Cook and Gabe splitting minutes is a good 2nd unit.

That's my 5 as well...it's the most athletic 5 we have.  It's a group that should be able to start fast and furious.

Busta_Nutt

Dwight_K_Shrute

It's evident outside of Beard the biggest disappointment is coming from the powerless forward spot.

Out of Bailey, Cook, Thompson, and Thomas, who is the most disappointing?

Bailey is still young, but has high motor and still a lot of upside.  I'd say he's the least disappointing and would gain the most from an increase in minutes.

Cook, Thompson, and Thomas are all seniors. 

Trey has been in the program the longest.  You could see improvement each year up until this year.  He was really facilitating at the end of last season and gave some hope for this year.  I wonder if he Gafford's quick rise set Trey back a bit.  Also a little disappointed that TT never lost the baby fat.

Although Cook might not have as much upside as Dustin Thomas his lows don't seem as low as DT either.  His off court troubles didn't materially hurt the teams performance at the beginning of the season, but may have impacted his growth as a player and ability to contribute.

Then there's Dustin Thomas.  He was key in the win against Georgia but I swear for every good game or good play that he makes the rule is he must make two or more bad ones.  We were starting our comeback against A&M had the ball was already at single digits with lots of time left and DT launches a 15 foot jumper, nothing but iron.  A&M got the board, composed themselves and never looked back.  He makes a pass at someones ankles and it's a TO.  Out of all our players I find myself complaining about him the most.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 02, 2018, 10:46:15 am
Mike says he's a miniature Cory Beck.

Oh my.  Beard has a polar opposite mentality from Beck.  Beck's primary motivations were getting the ball to the best player in the best position to score, rebounding, and defense.  Beard thinks he is a miniature Jalen Barford. 

chiti66

maxhog5

Barford
Beard
Hall
Thompson
Gafford

Macon and Barford would still rack up the most minutes.  Have to be careful with Thompson's minutes and having him and Gafford on the floor together too much because of their propensity to pick up fouls.  Other than Jones in limited minutes to shoot the ball, anybody else is just a matter of stealing minutes.  I don't trust any of the others to positively impact the game.

daprospecta

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 02, 2018, 01:06:04 pm
It's evident outside of Beard the biggest disappointment is coming from the powerless forward spot.

Out of Bailey, Cook, Thompson, and Thomas, who is the most disappointing?

Bailey is still young, but has high motor and still a lot of upside.  I'd say he's the least disappointing and would gain the most from an increase in minutes.

Cook, Thompson, and Thomas are all seniors. 

Trey has been in the program the longest.  You could see improvement each year up until this year.  He was really facilitating at the end of last season and gave some hope for this year.  I wonder if he Gafford's quick rise set Trey back a bit.  Also a little disappointed that TT never lost the baby fat.

Although Cook might not have as much upside as Dustin Thomas his lows don't seem as low as DT either.  His off court troubles didn't materially hurt the teams performance at the beginning of the season, but may have impacted his growth as a player and ability to contribute.

Then there's Dustin Thomas.  He was key in the win against Georgia but I swear for every good game or good play that he makes the rule is he must make two or more bad ones.  We were starting our comeback against A&M had the ball was already at single digits with lots of time left and DT launches a 15 foot jumper, nothing but iron.  A&M got the board, composed themselves and never looked back.  He makes a pass at someones ankles and it's a TO.  Out of all our players I find myself complaining about him the most.
Trey put the weight back on this year. This is what he looked like last year.

Piglet

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 01, 2018, 02:31:06 am
Exactly this. Good to see someone in this forum knows how to shake up a line-up. With Thompson's playing around the free throw line or elbow given his passing skills, we could run a 'high-low' post action with the ball in Thompson hands much of the time. Down low with Gafford, he could set picks for our three point shooters running the baseline. Also Gafford could occasionally roll off the pick and catch our opposition where he was one on one 5 feet from the basket where Gafford would score almost everytime one on one. Also, the outside shooters would get plenty of looks at open 3's. Actually we have the type of talent that can run this unstoppable offense.

I was listening to a commentator on the radio today talk about that.  He said the high post man must have the ability to turn around and shoot over his defender or drive to the basket for this to work well.  The high post man must be enough of a scoring threat to draw other defenders toward him to help out when he gets the ball at the free throw line.  Thompson or Gafford do not fit that role very well.  Neither have the dependable short jumper and Thompson is definitely not quick enough to drive to the basket.  Thompson is a good passer which has worked on occasion for a backdoor layup for a guard who gets away from his man.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

maxhog5

Anytime, you have a spot on the floor, you do not have to guard, the defense has a huge advantage and should shut you down inside whether it is your post players or your guards driving.  And this has been a problem almost every year since Anderson got here.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Piglet on February 02, 2018, 05:09:34 pm
I was listening to a commentator on the radio today talk about that.  He said the high post man must have the ability to turn around and shoot over his defender or drive to the basket for this to work well.  The high post man must be enough of a scoring threat to draw other defenders toward him to help out when he gets the ball at the free throw line.  Thompson or Gafford do not fit that role very well.  Neither have the dependable short jumper and Thompson is definitely not quick enough to drive to the basket.  Thompson is a good passer which has worked on occasion for a backdoor layup for a guard who gets away from his man.
Thompson can hit that shot.The reason you believe he can't shoot is because we're usually late into the shot clock and Thompson happens to have the ball and is in the corner or somewhere beyond 15 feet from the basket an is forced to put up a rushed shot. The young man, given the confidence that he would feel knowing the ball would be in his hands quite a bit would be able to hit a high enough % for this offense to work. Shooting a basketball is all about confidence.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.