Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First half versus second half

Started by Polecat, January 05, 2017, 11:02:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Polecat

I feel like the issue with the second half collapses is that CBB and his staff are pretty dang good during the week in preparation, but pretty horrible at making halftime adjustments, and adjustments during the games.
Look at our success ratio of scoring on the first drive of the game. And then our offensive execution seems to wane as the game goes along.
With a couple of exceptions, Petrino was something of a wizard here in terms of adjustments within the game and outsmarting the opposing defensive coordinators. I just don't think in-game adjustments are a strength of Bielema's or his staff. He doesn't strike me as a person who thinks quickly in the moment, off the cuff – but rather, does much better when given a few days to prepare a scheme.
Which doesn't bode well for the Hogs, as our coaches face some of the more talented and exceptional minds in college football here in the SEC.
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Biggus Piggus

No. It's not halftime adjustments. That's not it. And the issue isn't even constant from game to game. The Missouri and VT games brought a completely different issue.
[CENSORED]!

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Polecat on January 05, 2017, 11:02:23 am
I feel like the issue with the second half collapses is that CBB and his staff are pretty dang good during the week in preparation, but pretty horrible at making halftime adjustments, and adjustments during the games.
Look at our success ratio of scoring on the first drive of the game. And then our offensive execution seems to wane as the game goes along.
With a couple of exceptions, Petrino was something of a wizard here in terms of adjustments within the game and outsmarting the opposing defensive coordinators. I just don't think in-game adjustments are a strength of Bielema's or his staff. He doesn't strike me as a person who thinks quickly in the moment, off the cuff – but rather, does much better when given a few days to prepare a scheme.
Which doesn't bode well for the Hogs, as our coaches face some of the more talented and exceptional minds in college football here in the SEC.

I think the lack of depth and mental toughness eventually overcomes a pretty good game plan.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 05, 2017, 11:05:09 am
I think the lack of depth and mental toughness eventually overcomes a pretty good game plan.

Exactly.
[CENSORED]!

Polecat

I can agree that Petrino was much more of a disciplinarian and his teams were mentally tougher, but his teams had better depth?
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Polecat on January 05, 2017, 11:10:05 am
I can agree that Petrino was much more of a disciplinarian and his teams were mentally tougher, but his teams had better depth?

Compare the 2010-11 defenses with this season's. And the offensive lines.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Plus not being able to run the football when we wanted to do so.  Put pressure on OC and QB to believe they had to keep putting it up and making plays.  Had some good runs vs Mizzou in second half but couldn't do it in redzone leading to pass game mistakes and failures.  Saw it vs A&M in red zone early in season with inability of oline to get us in running(plus stupid bunch formations).  Didn't even bother trying vs VT.  Which goes back to my comments about the oline.  Even with a historically bad D, a good reliable oline would have had us at 9 wins this season.  Maybe more depending on A&M and what that higher total would have brought in terms of bowl.  But only 3 full classes plus lack of numbers and attrition and it was early to ask to have a built oline in this rebuild.  Going to have to show it very soon though.  Line up and hand it off and it is hard for a team down 17-24 pts to get momentum.  We went Big 12/OM/A&M-like in abandoning the oline's importance too often because of lack of trust. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

code red

Seriously...if we run the ball every play in the second half of both Mizzou and VT we probably win.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: code red on January 05, 2017, 12:52:03 pm
Seriously...if we run the ball every play in the second half of both Mizzou and VT we probably win.

You left out effectively and it leading to at least a few points. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

code red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 05, 2017, 12:56:47 pm
The way Toby Baker was punting.....I venture to say we would have won both.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: code red on January 05, 2017, 12:58:08 pm
The way Toby Baker was punting.....I venture to say we would have won both.

You have a point.  Then you bring in the trust of the staff with the defense. 

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 05, 2017, 12:56:47 pm

Agreed.  You can play grind it out football, but you've got to get first downs consistently.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

code red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 05, 2017, 01:00:28 pm
They...VT were not doing anything with it....I would rather them have to go 40 as 4 for 7 points.

code red

If we would have run the ball every down it would have taken VT about 6 min to score a td probably....they had to score 4 to beat us.  That's 24 minutes.  I think VT took the lead in the 3rd qtr??? 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: code red on January 05, 2017, 01:36:20 pm
They...VT were not doing anything with it....I would rather them have to go 40 as 4 for 7 points.

Quote from: code red on January 05, 2017, 01:46:16 pm
If we would have run the ball every down it would have taken VT about 6 min to score a td probably....they had to score 4 to beat us.  That's 24 minutes.  I think VT took the lead in the 3rd qtr??? 

I agree with your premise.  Again though, the way our defense gave up chunk plays this season not sure the coaches trusted them.  One thing to remember though was the insane wind that night.  Tough to go downfield with the ball. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: code red on January 05, 2017, 01:46:16 pm
only scored 21 in the 3rd. 

someone pointed out that it looked like we were dominating with a 24-0 lead at half time.  I told them that 24 wasn't near enough points.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 05, 2017, 01:00:28 pm

A lot less plays for the opposing team if we ran the ball and punted. Even if they went 3 and out it would still kill 2 mins or more and then a punt down into the 20.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

20hog11

Funny playing conservative is what most wish we had done against VT. Ive seen the opposite be said pretty often on here. We play too conservative and don't know how to go for the kill. I'm no different, I just find it interesting. Seems like a can't win situation sometimes.