Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State of the Program: Worse in 2017 Than 2012

Started by Sportster365, January 04, 2017, 05:00:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportster365

January 04, 2017, 05:00:21 pm Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:27:43 pm by Sportster365
Is the state of the program worse now then it was when Bob left? I tend to think so. In early 2012 we were preseason ranked #10 in the nation and felt good about the heartbeat of the program. For years it was though the national sports media looked right over Arkansas and then we were preseason darlings. Legitimate contenders in national conversations discussing teams with possible title hopes.

Bob had showed the country that Arkansas was for real. He created the perception that winning football games at a school like Arkansas wasn't just possible but a reality. A perception that motivated a highly thought of college football coach in Bret Bielema to leave a comfortable gig in Wisconsin that warranted Bielema's teams 3 rose bowl appearances along with 3 conference titles in a span of 7 years.

Seeing the success of the once infamous Bob Petrino, the inspired Bielema decided to bolt to the Southeastern Conference, he a couple of assistance and few trunk fulls of braun and bravado to prove that if the once failed Big 10 coach in Nick Saban and NFL defect Petrino could win in the south surely a man of his credence would surpass those 2 crooks.

He goes from here:

To here:

After witnessing this meltdown from a once widely considered top tier college coach who else could we get that's worth his salt would want to come here and jeopardize their career?

At this point our program is beyond excuses and I don't know where else we can go from here. Statically we had one of the best QBs in the SEC #3 and led all QBs in total passing yds. We had the 2nd best RB in our league. We've changed OCs, we've changed DCs, position coach to position coach and more or less we're still getting the same results. Fans are losing confidence, players and recruits too. How can you coach a winning philosophy, or a winning mentality when your losing 24point leads and getting beat 53-nil.

In 2012 we were trending up, since then we've been on a downward spiral to the middle of nowhere, where nobody cares. Yes I think the state of the program is and will be in worse shape after Bielema leaves or gets fired. We'd be subject to hire someone who's desperate or either green. If Long is capable of pulling off a homerun hire after this debacle then he would indeed deserve his weight in gold. So yeah when Petrino left in 2012 he left a perception behind that football games can be won here.... what will Bielema leave but a huge headache for the next head hog.

Trystran

Hawgey-Davidson

I think you're confusing "state of the program" with wins and losses.

hog of steele

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on January 04, 2017, 05:08:08 pm
I think you're confusing "state of the program" with wins and losses.

Even from that perspective, this post makes no sense. BP left and we won 5 games the next season. Don't we all feel like we will win more than 5 games next season?

ricepig

Quote from: hog of steele on January 04, 2017, 05:13:45 pm
Even from that perspective, this post makes no sense. BP left and we won 5 games the next season. Don't we all feel like we will win more than 5 games next season?

4, but who's counting.

TrueBlue

Quote from: hog of steele on January 04, 2017, 05:13:45 pm

Not necessarily. If changes aren't made I would tend to think not.

If we get beat by TCU, the season could snowball on us quickly.

hog of steele

Quote from: TrueBlue on January 04, 2017, 05:18:27 pm
Not necessarily. If changes aren't made I would tend to think not.

If we get beat by TCU, the season could snowball on us quickly.

When this doesn't happen are you going to come here and thank CBB for doing better than you predicted?

buldozer

We are a worse program now then when BP was here from a wins and losses prospective, no question about that. BP was serious about his football program, so much so that no one liked him. CBB is a laid back good ole boy who everyone likes and yet all he seems to be know much about on game day is which pair of flip flops he is gonna wear to work next week.

You set the example for what you expect in your program. Our players are playing half a game likely because our coach is lounging around in his office listening to reggae music in flip flops.

BP did immoral things that got himself run off, and rightly so. No one I know of wants him back for that reason, but everyone I know sure would like a coach that is serious about winning and applies himself to the game and keeps his mouth shut in the process

Gonzo

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 04, 2017, 05:00:21 pm
Is the state of the program worse now then it was when Bob left? I tend to think so. In early 2012 we were preseason ranked #10 in the nation and felt good about the heartbeat of the program. For years it was though the national sports media looked right over Arkansas and then we were preseason darlings. Legitimate contenders in national conversations discussing teams with possible title hopes.

Bob had showed the country that Arkansas was for real. He created the perception that winning football games at a school like Arkansas wasn't just possible but a reality. A perception that motivated a highly thought of college football coach in Bret Bielema to leave a comfortable gig in Wisconsin that warranted Bielema's teams 3 rose bowl appearances along with 3 conference titles in a span of 7 years.

Seeing the success of the once infamous Bob Petrino, the inspired Bielema decided to bolt to the Southeastern Conference, he a couple of assistance and few trunk fulls of braun and bravado to prove that if the once failed Big 10 coach in Nick Saban and NFL defect Petrino could win in the south surely a man of his credence would surpass those 2 crooks.

He goes from here:

It's going to be a long offseason, hah

Not sure if this is serious, but I'll try to respond as if it is for now. I think the better question is whether or not the program is in better shape than when BB arrived. I would agree that going into the offseason in early 2012 the program was in better shape than it is now, though some would disagree I'm sure, with some sound reasoning. However, the wreck and subsequent "wreck" were merely a start to the process that resulted in the program that BB inherited. I don't think hardly anyone would disagree the team was a far cry then from what it was at BP's dismissal. I was actually pleasantly surprised the Hogs landed such a notable hire at the time, regardless of what may think of his performance since.

I do believe the program is better off at the moment than when he arrived, but it remains to be seen if he can return it to where it was. Though I have my doubts, I hope he does, and if he doesn't, I hope the next Hog HC does.

Go Hogs!

NuttinItUp

TrueBlue

Quote from: hog of steele on January 04, 2017, 05:20:33 pm
When this doesn't happen are you going to come here and thank CBB for doing better than you predicted?

Prediction? Don't be a smart-arse.

I said IF we get beat by TCU it could snowball.

Andrew Hogfan

Idk, but what I do know is that I feel worse after this season than I have any other of coach B's. The previous seasons didn't  end W/L like I wanted,  but I could see promise. There was always a 2nd half of the season surge.  Not this year.  At the end if this season I feel hopeless.  Someone said in another thread we lack on the field leadership. I agree 100%. The team seemed to play up and down with the demeanor of our QB. 
WPS!!!

hog of steele

Quote from: TrueBlue on January 04, 2017, 05:35:32 pm
Prediction? Don't be a smart-arse.

I said IF we get beat by TCU it could snowball.

Of course you did. Because you, like everybody else, don't expect that we will lose 7 next season. That was my point.

depressed_fan

That's sort of an interesting question but difficult to answer. I don't think we are in any worse shape talent wise than we were when Petrino was fired. I don't think either guy is a particularly good recruiter. Could Petrino have taken the 2012 team and beat Bielema's 2017 team? Yes, probably. Could he have taken the 2013 team and beat the CBB 2017 team?  Is that your ultimate question? Most likely Petrino's 2013 team, had he stayed, would have won by a couple touchdowns on a neutral field. That's just my opinion. Talent wise I think it's similar. But I would deduct 7 points for having CBB coach now, and add 7 points for having Petrino on the field as the coaches.

trashcan maN

Hogs958

I asked if people thought he was going to be a legit head coach. That didn't mean a legit head coach at Arkansas. Some people need to take their blinders off.

swineology

Quote from: buldozer on January 04, 2017, 05:28:19 pm
We are a worse program now then when BP was here from a wins and losses prospective, no question about that. BP was serious about his football program, so much so that no one liked him. CBB is a laid back good ole boy who everyone likes and yet all he seems to be know much about on game day is which pair of flip flops he is gonna wear to work next week.

You set the example for what you expect in your program. Our players are playing half a game likely because our coach is lounging around in his office listening to reggae music in flip flops.

BP did immoral things that got himself run off, and rightly so. No one I know of wants him back for that reason, but everyone I know sure would like a coach that is serious about winning and applies himself to the game and keeps his mouth shut in the process

So serious that he had to have a mistress and pay her 20k

LMFAO

hog of steele

Hogs958

Did people watch this team after BP left? The defense was horrible.

The team is in a much better place now than in 2012. It's not even close.

Hogs958

Quote from: hog of steele on January 04, 2017, 05:59:20 pm
There was some talk about him being dirty. I think that I may have missed the Oregon scandal if. If it happened I wasn't aware. I think he is an innovative offensive coach. Much like Petrino he can beat you with game plans and attacking weaknesses. If he isn't tainted by scandal then I think he will land at a solid job and he will kill it.

I meant this for another thread, but I agree with you. Sorry. I've been at happy hour.

hog of steele

Quote from: Hogs958 on January 04, 2017, 06:01:44 pm
I meant this for another thread, but I agree with you. Sorry. I've been at happy hour.

I thought we were in another thread. And I responded appropriately. then I realized it and deleted it. ANd I haven't had any to drink yet. Time to start I suppose.

Seebs

If you are going to write like Robert Shields, you get his gifs -
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

HOGINTENNESSEE

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LQCU36pkH7c"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Danimal

Quote from: Gonzo on January 04, 2017, 05:30:56 pm

It's going to be a long offseason, hah

Not sure if this is serious, but I'll try to respond as if it is for now. I think the better question is whether or not the program is in better shape than when BB arrived. I would agree that going into the offseason in early 2012 the program was in better shape than it is now, though some would disagree I'm sure, with some sound reasoning. However, the wreck and subsequent "wreck" were merely a start to the process that resulted in the program that BB inherited. I don't think hardly anyone would disagree the team was a far cry then from what it was at BP's dismissal. I was actually pleasantly surprised the Hogs landed such a notable hire at the time, regardless of what may think of his performance since.

I do believe the program is better off at the moment than when he arrived, but it remains to be seen if he can return it to where it was. Though I have my doubts, I hope he does, and if he doesn't, I hope the next Hog HC does.

Go Hogs!
Good post.

Sportster365

Quote from: depressed_fan on January 04, 2017, 05:44:15 pm
That's sort of an interesting question but difficult to answer. I don't think we are in any worse shape talent wise than we were when Petrino was fired. I don't think either guy is a particularly good recruiter. Could Petrino have taken the 2012 team and beat Bielema's 2017 team? Yes, probably. Could he have taken the 2013 team and beat the CBB 2017 team?  Is that your ultimate question? Most likely Petrino's 2013 team, had he stayed, would have won by a couple touchdowns on a neutral field. That's just my opinion. Talent wise I think it's similar. But I would deduct 7 points for having CBB coach now, and add 7 points for having Petrino on the field as the coaches.

One notable difference is our brand. We hadnt officially made it to being a perennial powerhouse program but we definitely were considered as being a very formidable SEC foe.  There was still plenty of momentum left in this program as coach B was brought in to take the helm. College football pundits everywhere expected much more than what were seeing now.

Its been a huge disappointment.  Our program is a complete afterthought.  If I wasnt such a fan id call it a joke. So from this perspective were definitely worse now than then.

depressed_fan

January 04, 2017, 11:11:41 pm #25 Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:23:29 pm by depressed_fan
Quote from: Sportster365 on January 04, 2017, 10:57:59 pm
One notable difference is our brand. We hadnt officially made it to being a perennial powerhouse program but we definitely were considered as being a very formidable SEC foe.  There was still plenty of momentum left in this program as coach B was brought in to take the helm. College football pundits everywhere expected much more than what were seeing now.

Its been a huge disappointment.  Our program is a complete afterthought.  If I wasnt such a fan id call it a joke. So from this perspective were definitely worse now than then.

I don't think there's that much of a difference from 2016 season to Petrino's last 2 years with the exception of the Auburn score.  We scored the second most against Alabama this year and beat Ole Miss, the team that scored the most vs Bama and gave them by far their closest game. We did smoke Florida, the east champion who also beat LSU, which is something Petrino didn't do.  By the time the Mississippi State game was played no one outside of here or there cared but we won by 16. This was the same MSU that beat the Aggies, beat Ole Miss by 35, and lost in Baton Rouge by a field goal.

So all I'm saying is every team still knows were a tough opponent and the Merry go round of x beats y beats z beats x puts us with the ability to play with anyone except Alabama.  Respect wise I think the country still sees us as a very respectable program that could beat anyone except Alabama. Record wasn't as good but that's how the ball bounces sometimes. Even in Petrino's best 2 years we had some blow out losses to Alabama, Auburn, and LSU, so in the grand scheme of things nothing has really changed.

Pork Twain

Lots of crazy here and no, we are not in worse shape as a program.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Porcine Coprolite

Here's a slightly different question.  Was our program in worse shape than Penn State's?  We had gone through Harleygate.  Penn had gone through a well deserved national flogging over  child sex abuse.  NCAA gave Penn a huge fine and loss of scholarships.  I think Penn was in a much deeper hole, but look at how far they are ahead of us now.  I know.  We are in the SEC.  Penn is a storied program, so recruiting is easier.  Blah.  Blah.  Blah.  LONG story short.  We suck, Penn looks great.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 05, 2017, 07:49:04 am
Lots of crazy here and no, we are not in worse shape as a program.

Truth is, we do not know the state of the football program. That will be determined over the next six months or so. I have a feeling that much will change.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2017, 08:21:24 am
Truth is, we do not know the state of the football program. That will be determined over the next six months or so. I have a feeling that much will change.
I hope you are right and I hope there are at least two changes on the defensive staff
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hogwild

Quote from: depressed_fan on January 04, 2017, 11:11:41 pm
I don't think there's that much of a difference from 2016 season to Petrino's last 2 years with the exception of the Auburn score...
Respect wise I think the country still sees us as a very respectable program that could beat anyone except Alabama. Record wasn't as good but that's how the ball bounces sometimes. Even in Petrino's best 2 years we had some blow out losses to Alabama, Auburn, and LSU, so in the grand scheme of things nothing has really changed.

There is a big difference between this past season and Petrino's final two seasons. 5th in the nation =/= 5th in the SEC West

We lost six games this year, we didn't lose that many games in 2010 & 2011 combined.

hobhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2017, 08:21:24 am

True. But anyone who thinks it's as bad as OP questions just can't be helped. Spring can't get here soon enough. This place is unbearable.

hogcard1964

Same, no difference.

Nobody knew who we were in 2012 and nobody knows who we are in 2017.

We won, what 4 or 5 games that year?  We'll win 6 or 7 next year.   And guess what?  Nobody will still know who we are.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Porcine Coprolite on January 05, 2017, 08:02:28 am
Here's a slightly different question.  Was our program in worse shape than Penn State's?  We had gone through Harleygate.  Penn had gone through a well deserved national flogging over  child sex abuse.  NCAA gave Penn a huge fine and loss of scholarships.  I think Penn was in a much deeper hole, but look at how far they are ahead of us now.  I know.  We are in the SEC.  Penn is a storied program, so recruiting is easier.  Blah.  Blah.  Blah.  LONG story short.  We suck, Penn looks great.

Thats sooooo true. Penn State we are not. Thankfully.

Cinco de Hogo

Worse off if your talking before the motorcycle.  Better off if you talking after. 

CBP might could have got 10 wins in 2012, and he might could get 10 wins in 2017.

JLS got 4 wins in 2012, CBB might get 7 wins in 2017. 

So we are 3 wins better with CBB than with JLS but 3 wins worse with CBB than with CBP.

LOL at myself!!!

hog of steele

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 05, 2017, 08:43:59 am
Worse off if your talking before the motorcycle.  Better off if you talking after. 

CBP might could have got 10 wins in 2012, and he might could get 10 wins in 2017.

JLS got 4 wins in 2012, CBB might get 7 wins in 2017. 

So we are 3 wins better with CBB than with JLS but 3 wins worse with CBB than with CBP.

LOL at myself!!!

IDK, he didn't get 10 wins this year with his Louisville team in the ACC. I am not betting that he would have gotten 10 wins in 2012 or could in 2017.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Hogs958 on January 04, 2017, 06:00:27 pm

Absolutely ....OP projecting 2010 and 2011 success into 2012 to fit his narrative. The talent pool had huge holes after the 2010 recruiting class.  See how BP does in year 5 and 6 at the same place.  Recruiting will go downhill as the recruits hear CBP stories from players while on official visits. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hog of steele on January 05, 2017, 08:46:46 am
IDK, he didn't get 10 wins this year with his Louisville team in the ACC. I am not betting that he would have gotten 10 wins in 2012 or could in 2017.

Right, could, should and done and different animals.  CBP should have gotten 10 this year.  CBB should have gotten 9.

majp51

Quote from: Hogs958 on January 04, 2017, 06:00:27 pm

The problem with this, is that CBP was a micromanaging dictator. And an extreme system coach to boot. What that means is that  with Petrino our 4-8 team may have finished 8-4 + Bowl Game. That is the type of an effect that someone like Petrino has on players. And when you go from a Micromanaging dictator to someone like JLS, well honestly that kind of coaching shift means we are lucky a black hole didn't form at the center of the football field and suck the entire program into it.

The point being is it is really difficult to gage whether we are really better off, simply because of that coaching component. In terms of talent well that too is harder to gage, but there are some parallels. In 2017, as in 2012, we have massive holes on our defensive side, with no help to speak of on it's way to fix them, and we don't seem to have a DC capable of working around the holes. As in 2012, we have almost no known quality receivers returning.

Honestly though it's a moot point. It's not like CBP is coming back, and it's not like CBB is leaving anytime soon, even if he pulls a smiley.

BRHogfan

CBP went 9-4 with a Heisman Trophy Winner and lost to Kentucky at home. I mean holy hell.

majp51

Quote from: BRHogfan on January 05, 2017, 09:24:47 am
CBP went 9-4 with a Heisman Trophy Winner and lost to Kentucky at home. I mean holy hell.

To be fair, I expect Lamar Jackson to be like every other CBP QB, great college numbers, a complete failure at the next level. CBP is after all really only good for, and good to, CBP

GuvHog

Quote from: hog of steele on January 05, 2017, 08:46:46 am

I was one of BP's biggest supporters and even I was smart enough to realize that the Hogs would have probably won 8 games in regular season play in 2012 had Petrino been allowed to stay but no more than that. The reason 2012 was so horrible is because Jeff Long hired a joke for an interim HC and the coaching staff basically quit coaching. 2013 would probably have been another 8 win season with 2014 being the year where 10 wins would have been possible.

CBB had his best defense in 2014 and a number of the players on that defense were BP's recruits. The fact that the defense tanked in 2015 and 2016 as BP's recruits left the team is no coincidence.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Sportster365

I've never seen this program at such a low state.  We go from being 0-17 to getting beat 53-0 and losing 24pt leads in half a game in year 4 of this on going rebuild. Again the brand has been tarnished. We were having discussions about new hog logos and anthracite colored uniforms. Putting the Hog logo on pop tarts and on boxes of other brand name products. All this publicity and marketing is a product of winning. Brand and identity couldn't be farther from the mind of Jeff Long right now and that's because we have digressed so much since then.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Keep banging this drum. It sounds better every time.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 05, 2017, 09:54:59 am
I've never seen this program at such a low state.  We go from being 0-17 to getting beat 53-0 and losing 24pt leads in half a game in year 4 of this on going rebuild. Again the brand has been tarnished. We were having discussions about new hog logos and anthracite colored uniforms. Putting the Hog logo on pop tarts and on boxes of other brand name products. All this publicity and marketing is a product of winning. Brand and identity couldn't be farther from the mind of Jeff Long right now and that's because we have digressed so much since then.

LOL. Your Pop Tarts haven't changed a bit.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

code red

Basically folks are apathetic....... the state of the program is on CBB.  Next year there will be heat.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou