Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One bothersome thing about Bielema

Started by JIHawg, January 04, 2017, 12:18:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LSUFan

Quote from: Porkette on January 05, 2017, 12:18:33 am
Has anyone else noticed that this stuff always starts, in any sport, whenever the Hogs have a bad loss or a string of losses? People always begin this overanalyzing and picking apart the coach's demeanor during games. He's either too enotional or not emotional enough, too angry or too rah-rah or too nervous or too cool and standoffish. I remember hearing it so many times in both football and basketball during bad stretches, and these are complaints that are never brought up when we're winning. Not saying this to defend Bielema necessarily; I just think fans are completely guessing most of the time when they think they've spotted a problem. Lots of different personalities have been successful coaches.
Analyze this:
24-0 end of Half
24-35 end of Game
56-3
25 & 26 after $16mil +
Rutgers
Shall I go on?

Is this crap worth 4 million/yr and a presser that basically amounts to a used car ad?

Please do point out the over analysis.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Al Boarland

Quote from: CrookedSquealliry on January 04, 2017, 06:52:34 am
One thing that bothers me is blowing leads on winnable games on national television. 
Another thing that bothers me is a player allegedly shoplifting from the company that sponsored the bowl. I know CBB can't control that, but it's still embarrassing.  Allegedly embarrassing. 
Another thing that bothers me is choosing to nix 2 a day practices at one point.
Great guy.  Love him.  I'm not sure he can produce a Stanford style team in Arkansas.  We need horses.  Arabian horses. 
It also bothers me to not be excited about the football program.  That really bothers me.
Allegedly? Sprinkles apologized on social media. There is no allegedly.

HoggieStyle

Very Nutt-like. That should be enough...

hog of steele

Quote from: LSUFan on January 05, 2017, 01:46:12 am
Analyze this:
24-0 end of Half
24-35 end of Game
56-3
25 & 26 after $16mil +
Rutgers
Shall I go on?

Is this crap worth 4 million/yr and a presser that basically amounts to a used car ad?

Remember that time your coach yelled some indecipherable words and ripped his shirt off in the Ole miss locker room? Fun stuff. LSU may want to worry about its own house.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Porkette on January 05, 2017, 12:18:33 am
Has anyone else noticed that this stuff always starts, in any sport, whenever the Hogs have a bad loss or a string of losses? People always begin this overanalyzing and picking apart the coach's demeanor during games. He's either too enotional or not emotional enough, too angry or too rah-rah or too nervous or too cool and standoffish. I remember hearing it so many times in both football and basketball during bad stretches, and these are complaints that are never brought up when we're winning. Not saying this to defend Bielema necessarily; I just think fans are completely guessing most of the time when they think they've spotted a problem. Lots of different personalities have been successful coaches.
Exactly. People who have no clue what the problems are making guesses. And they're usually terrible at making guesses.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 05, 2017, 08:46:49 am
Exactly. People who have no clue what the problems are making guesses. And they're usually terrible at making guesses.

Some people who post here see posts from others who have actual knowledge + conclude they're supposed to post as though they know something too. So they fabricate crap and post it as truth.
[CENSORED]!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 04, 2017, 07:51:53 pm
I see it's been a while since you've actually been to a game. If you had you'd know better.
He must be during timeouts only?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Dropkick

January 05, 2017, 11:49:39 am #57 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:46:58 pm by Dropkick
You know who this is? This was what he did when he was CBBs age.

Years 1,2 & 3
    1995–1997‍—‌Beginning in 1995, ? moderately improved this school's fortunes, taking them to minor bowl games (all of which they lost by double-digit margins) in each of his first three seasons. From 1995 to 1997, this school finished 6–5–1, 6–6, and 7–5. In comparison, they had finished 5–6, 6–6 and 5–6  in 1992–1994.

Year 4
    1998‍—‌On November 7, 1998, they upset the No. 1 ranked team at on the road. However, even after the upset and an early-season rout of then-highly ranked Notre Dame they finished 6–6, including three last-minute losses featuring turnovers, defensive lapses, and special-teams misplays, and failed to earn a bowl invitation.

Year 5
    1999‍—‌He led them  to a 9–2 season that included wins over Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State. However, the two losses were routs at the hands of Purdue and Wisconsin. Following the final regular-season game against Penn State, ? abruptly resigned to accept the head coaching position with _____.  (wikipedia)

Of course you do! Anything in those first 4 years make him look like a great coach?

Porkette

Quote from: LSUFan on January 05, 2017, 01:46:12 am
Analyze this:
24-0 end of Half
24-35 end of Game
56-3
25 & 26 after $16mil +
Rutgers
Shall I go on?

I don't think we have much reason to be happy with Bielema right now as far as on-the-field results. That isn't what my post was about though.

Maybe after following the Razorbacks through a few different coaches now, my observations of how many of my fellow fans tend to behave has become a little bit cynical.  :)
GO HOGS GO!

LSUFan

Quote from: hog of steele on January 05, 2017, 08:40:28 am
Remember that time your coach yelled some indecipherable words and ripped his shirt off in the Ole miss locker room? Fun stuff. LSU may want to worry about its own house.
You may want to catch up on my history before you think I'm a non fan trying to stir the pot.

He averaged 10 wins/season and they fired his ass.

LSUFan

Quote from: Porkette on January 05, 2017, 01:38:57 pm
I don't think we have much reason to be happy with Bielema right now as far as on-the-field results. That isn't what my post was about though.

Maybe after following the Razorbacks through a few different coaches now, my observations of how many of my fellow fans tend to behave has become a little bit cynical.  :)
I think the underlying premise is this, Arkansas is a much better program than what is being shown on the field by a guy who gets paid millions to not perform.

Most think that 9-10 wins/season is not asking that much for $4mil/yr. especially when you have four cupcake games.

A bad season used to be 2 losses, now its a goal.

I just hope I live long enough to see them win the Big Dance.

Oklahawg

The headphones are so that CBB can listen to the offensive staff talk and the defensive staff talk. He doesn't talk so he doesn't get in the way. If he is always blabbing then we have problems like delay of game penalties all over the place because no one can hear to get the call made.

I would bet that some of you have an unusual look on your face when you are intently thinking about something.
QuoteAnd he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dropkick on January 05, 2017, 11:49:39 am

Years 1,2 & 3
    1995–1997‍—‌Beginning in 1995, ? moderately improved this school's fortunes, taking them to minor bowl games (all of which they lost by double-digit margins) in each of his first three seasons. From 1995 to 1997, this school finished 6–5–1, 6–6, and 7–5. In comparison, they had finished 5–6, 6–6 and 5–6  in 1992–1994.

Year 4
    1998‍—‌On November 7, 1998, they upset the No. 1 ranked team at on the road. However, even after the upset and an early-season rout of then-highly ranked Notre Dame they finished 6–6, including three last-minute losses featuring turnovers, defensive lapses, and special-teams misplays, and failed to earn a bowl invitation.

Year 5
    1999‍—‌He led them  to a 9–2 season that included wins over Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State. However, the two losses were routs at the hands of Purdue and Wisconsin. Following the final regular-season game against Penn State, ? abruptly resigned to accept the head coaching position with _____.  (wikipedia)

Of course you do! Anything in those first 4 years make him look like a great coach?

Not an apples to apples comparison. Nick had only been a head coach in college one year before going to the pros as a DC and then back to college at Michigan State as head coach. He was 9-2 as Toledo's head coach in 1990. Bret had been a head coach for 7 years before coming to Arkansas and had taken over at Wisconsin from a coach that had already built the program into a good one with Barry Alvarez. He was also familiar with it as the defensive coach for a number of years prior to that. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LSUFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 05, 2017, 04:38:13 pm
The headphones are so that CBB can listen to the offensive staff talk and the defensive staff talk. He doesn't talk so he doesn't get in the way. If he is always blabbing then we have problems like delay of game penalties all over the place because no one can hear to get the call made.

I would bet that some of you have an unusual look on your face when you are intently thinking about something.
Maybe he doesn't communicate with them because he's in over his head in some situations?
I think a person would be dishonest with him/herself to not at least allow that to be a possibility.

PorkSoda

Quote from: LSUFan on January 05, 2017, 04:55:58 pm
Maybe he doesn't communicate with them because he's in over his head in some situations?
I think a person would be dishonest with him/herself to not at least allow that to be a possibility.
so you are saying he shouldn't let his coordinators coordinate?

remember the phrase "too many cooks in the kitchen"?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

LSUFan

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 05, 2017, 05:22:06 pm
so you are saying he shouldn't let his coordinators coordinate?

remember the phrase "too many cooks in the kitchen"?
No, but when what they are doing is not working, he should step in, that's a Managers job, not just stand there and look confused.

Dropkick

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 05, 2017, 04:46:41 pm
Not an apples to apples comparison. Nick had only been a head coach in college one year before going to the pros as a DC and then back to college at Michigan State as head coach. He was 9-2 as Toledo's head coach in 1990. Bret had been a head coach for 7 years before coming to Arkansas and had taken over at Wisconsin from a coach that had already built the program into a good one with Barry Alvarez. He was also familiar with it as the defensive coach for a number of years prior to that. 
Did I anywhere in that post say it was the same. The point is Nick at Bret's age was not a finished product by any means and had not led anyone to think he would turn out this good.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Dropkick on January 05, 2017, 11:49:39 am

Years 1,2 & 3

Year 4

Year 5

As much as I like BB and think he can get things straightened out at Arkansas, I hate these comparisons.  As many as there are that turn out positive, there are just as many that turn out negative and those presenting them rarely do so objectively.  Coaches are just like anyone else and just because coach X did Y, does not mean coach W is more or less likely to do Y as opposed to Z.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/