Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

8 wins
7 wins
6 wins
5 wins
4 wins
3 wins or less

Or, do you think he is safe no matter how the team performs next year?

Arazorbackguy1

Safe, no matter what.  Especially as long as buyout is over $10 mil
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

hog of steele

If he wins less than 3 I think he is gone. Short of that he has at least two years.

Hog Solo

Safe as can be.  Hes riding in the clouds next year counting sheep.  He has it made in the shade.  I have a high stress  job where results matter. Wish I could be getting paid his two weeks of his salary all year.

Calling All Hogs

Two years regardless. If he only won 3 next year the only change would be Long would say he is right on schedule instead of ahead of it.

jgphillips3

Anything below 6 and the leash becomes a noose in 2018. 7-8 he's probably fine.  9 or more and he can start repairing damage particularly if our losses are no longer humiliating.

hobhog

He needs 9+ wins next year or his seat will be very hot. I think it can happen but will jump off wagon if it resembles this year.....

NuttinItUp

Safe no matter what next year, but seat will be hotter in 2 if he does bad next year.

duckman

He has two years regardless....  If he absolutely tanks, then Long's seat may get warm.

Tick Hog

I agree with safe for 2 unless something stupid happens like a 3-4 win season. What is more likely to happen is 2 more 7-8 wins seasons then what? As long as the seats keep getting bought ( which they will ) and the grades stand firm ( which I figure will ) I just don't see Long firing him.

RME

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 03, 2017, 11:37:52 pm
Anything below 6 and the leash becomes a noose in 2018. 7-8 he's probably fine.  9 or more and he can start repairing damage particularly if our losses are no longer humiliating.

Absolutely true. Couldn't have written it better myself.

Quote from: hobhog on January 03, 2017, 11:46:39 pm
He needs 9+ wins next year or his seat will be very hot. I think it can happen but will jump off wagon if it resembles this year.....

Absolutely false. 9+ wins with our away schedule (@ Dallas, @ South Carolina, @ Alabama, @ Ole Miss, @ LSU)? C'mon man. If people are truly expecting 9 wins next year, then God help them.

Hawg Life

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 04, 2017, 12:30:31 am
Absolutely true. Couldn't have written it better myself.

Absolutely false. 9+ wins with our away schedule (@ Dallas, @ South Carolina, @ Alabama, @ Ole Miss, @ LSU)? C'mon man. If people are truly expecting 9 wins next year, then God help them.

I think we beat aTm this year. Ole Miss is going to have a down year. We can beat The Cocks. I expect 8 wins.

Torqued pork

If Bielema was promised 6 years he should get 6 years as frustrating as it may be. $#it happens when you have Howard Sprague for an AD.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 04, 2017, 12:45:49 am
I think we beat aTm this year. Ole Miss is going to have a down year. We can beat The Cocks. I expect 8 wins.
I think 8 wins is about the right expectation every year no matter the coach.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 04, 2017, 12:45:49 am

People seem to always pencil in aTm as a win. But yet.....
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pork Twain

2 years unless he totally blows it in the next two years
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jkstock04

Bielemas probably going to get two years regardless. Our media and administration love him on a personal level and that's the most important thing.

If wins/losses ever start affecting $$$ revenue that's the only thing that will get people's attention who actually matter. It would take a couple of sub 6 win seasons in a row for that to happen in my opinion. I really don't see that happening when considering 3 automatic cupcake wins on the schedule.

Take next year for example on the OOC schedule....TCU at home. Then three others that are beyond awful. I think I read somewhere that New Mexico st hasn't been to a bowl game since 1960 and is about to be kicked out of the sunbelt.

Regardless...point being, with schedules like this, 6 wins is easily attainable. I think as long as off the field stuff continues to excel Bielema is golden here forever if that's what he wants.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Sir Oinksalot

...if Coach B. sat on his thumbs today and from now on and the hogs got ZERO wins, and if he got fired, at this time next year, he would walk away with about
$17 Million counting his salary. If he gets fired in two years of
thumb sitting - add another $4 Million. So,

"hot seat" is in name only, it's closer to a golden throne.
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

bob slydell

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on January 03, 2017, 11:15:40 pm
Safe, no matter what.  Especially as long as buyout is over $10 mil

I disagree somewhat. I think that the buyout is steep, but at some point, the folks with money would be willing to foot that bill along with whatever it took to send Long packing as well. I just don't think he could get away with a 3 or 4 win season next year.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

hoghearted

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on January 04, 2017, 07:39:32 am

...if Coach B. sat on his thumbs today and from now on and the hogs got ZERO wins, and if he got fired, at this time next year, he would walk away with about

That's assuming he doesn't get another extension on his buyout. With Kermit, I'm not so sure it doesn't happen.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

SemperHawg

His leash is about 12 million dollars long right now... If you want him gone sooner than two years from now you should either hope some NFL team gets stooooopid, or that Ferentz(Sp?) up at Iowa decides to retire.  I'm telling you right now Bielema has gotten all he wants of the SEC.  If he could end up at his "dream job" and get out of the SECW snake pit he wouldn't hesitate.

rhames

January 04, 2017, 07:52:02 am #21 Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:17:18 am by rhames
Quote from: Bob Slydell on January 04, 2017, 07:43:19 am
I disagree somewhat. I think that the buyout is steep, but at some point, the folks with money would be willing to foot that bill along with whatever it took to send Long packing as well. I just don't think he could get away with a 3 or 4 win season next year.

I think this would normally be true if we hadn't beenn building new facilities like crazy

I really hope Bret can pull it off.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Al Boarland

What evidence do you have that the "people with money" are that committed to winning? 

rzrbaxfan

His leash is just the same as it was the past 4 years. He was given a 5-6 year window to rebuild for a reason.

Petrino's last recruiting class (the one that made up this year's 5th year players) produced zero OL and LB's that played in 2016. Bret's first class (the one he built before ever coaching a game in the SEC and made up this year's 4th year players) produced 1 OL, 1 DL and 1 LB that played in 2016. 

If I remember correctly, most football savvy folks here saw the damage done in 2012 and it's effect on recruiting into 2013 and accepted that 6-8 wins was the best we could hope for for the first 4-5 years of Bret's tenure.  I get that many of you are not upset with the win total as much as you are the way we lost three games (Aub, Mizz, VTech)...but it's mind boggling to see how quickly things changed from "this damage is going to take years to recover from" to "he's had 4 years, fire his a$$".

rhames

I just don't think the meltdowns we saw were all due to a lack of players.  This team just wasn't mentally strong.

They have 9 months to get it together

I think they will.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

bob slydell

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 04, 2017, 08:15:53 am
What evidence do you have that the "people with money" are that committed to winning?

Human nature might be a good guideline here.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on January 04, 2017, 08:16:17 am
His leash is just the same as it was the past 4 years. He was given a 5-6 year window to rebuild for a reason.

Petrino's last recruiting class (the one that made up this year's 5th year players) produced zero OL and LB's that played in 2016. Bret's first class (the one he built before ever coaching a game in the SEC and made up this year's 4th year players) produced 1 OL, 1 DL and 1 LB that played in 2016. 

If I remember correctly, most football savvy folks here saw the damage done in 2012 and it's effect on recruiting into 2013 and accepted that 6-8 wins was the best we could hope for for the first 4-5 years of Bret's tenure.  I get that many of you are not upset with the win total as much as you are the way we lost three games (Aub, Mizz, VTech)...but it's mind boggling to see how quickly things changed from "this damage is going to take years to recover from" to "he's had 4 years, fire his a$$".

This is exactly correct. Good post
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

MuskogeeHogFan

The Hogs have 7 home games in 2017.

3 of those are absolutely "should wins" in non conf play.

Then they have 4 at home that at this point are toss-ups. TCU, Auburn, Miss State and Missouri.

Going on the road they will have A&M, S. Carolina, Alabama, Ole Miss and LSU.

If they win 2 of the 4 that are toss ups at home and 3 of the 5 on the road, along with the 3 "should wins", that is 8 wins.

Is that enough to make everyone happy in season 5?
Go Hogs Go!

HamSammich

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 04, 2017, 06:39:52 am
People seem to always pencil in aTm as a win. But yet.....

Lol exactly. Hogville has penciled in TAMU for years.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Bob Slydell on January 04, 2017, 08:36:04 am
Human nature might be a good guideline here.
Human nature is to survive.

DLUXHOG

two words..... Jerry Jones...    if he and the Cowboys win the Superbowl this year, I think his next personal goal is to bring a National Championship back to Arkansas, by hook or crook..................
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Earth Hog Fan

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 04, 2017, 03:33:21 am
If Bielema was promised 6 years he should get 6 years as frustrating as it may be. $#it happens when you have Howard Sprague for an AD.

Now Torqued Pork I think you nailed it and all this time I thought he was Jethro Bodine, the dimwitted nephew of Jed Clampett. 
I had never heard of Musselman. But he's a teacher, demands discipline and builds from the defensive end first. I want our football coach to be just like him."

Pork Twain

People are basing a lot on other people's money.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bob slydell

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2017, 09:05:07 am
People are basing a lot on other people's money.

I'm not basing anything on other people's money. I'm saying that those are the folks that truly matter when the decisions get made.

dowils

I'm ready for a new coach.  We need a defensive coach like Saban....

soooieman

This! Our fans are so fickle

Kevin

my prediction: he never gets fired from here
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on January 03, 2017, 11:14:47 pm
8 wins
7 wins
6 wins
5 wins
4 wins
3 wins or less

Or, do you think he is safe no matter how the team performs next year?
If I had to put a number on it I would say 8 wins. But in reality he is more than likely safe no matter what.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hog of steele

I agreee with this. If CBB loses 9 games and gets fired next year, Long is going with him. If we get stuck with that 15 million dollar bill, it will be difficult for long to work through that.

ballhogger

I would think that we would win 8 or more.  If we don't it would really depend on how we finish and how we compete throughout the season.

code red

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on January 03, 2017, 11:28:00 pm
Two years regardless. If he only won 3 next year the only change would be Long would say he is right on schedule instead of ahead of it.
Disagree...I will say he will be safe at 5-7 but 3 will definitely be unacceptable.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: dowils on January 04, 2017, 09:27:39 am
I'm ready for a new coach.  We need a defensive coach like Saban....
.....we need a recruiter like Saban....the defense will follow suit.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on January 04, 2017, 07:39:32 am

We would have no problem mustering up 10 Mill.

AirForceHog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 04, 2017, 08:57:58 am
two words..... Jerry Jones...    if he and the Cowboys win the Superbowl this year, I think his next personal goal is to bring a National Championship back to Arkansas, by hook or crook..................

Jerry Jones doesn't care that much.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Biggus Piggus

Putting the coach "on a leash" is a great program-building strategy.
[CENSORED]!

MountieDawg

If he loses every game by 30 or more points, Long will not give him an extension to his contract!!!
SEC!

Torqued pork

He will stay one win ahead of the posse for eternity, or at least as long as Mark Richt did.

buldozer

The fans will heat him up if he doesn't win at least 9 next year and show progress in the program but the reality is that he is safe and he knows it.

This is why he is so stubborn and arrogant about not making changes when it is so obvious they must be made for him to succeed. He doesn't care enough to overcome his bull headedness. He is not motivated just like the players are not motivated. Thats why they play half a game and take off half a game. Thats why he wears flip flops to work and plays reggae music in his office all day. He is laid back and he sends that message loud and clear to everyone around him. He is Mr. Happy-Go-Lucky sucking $4M from the folks in AR just living the good life up in Fayetteville win or lose. Thats why he doesn't join the team huddles on the sidelines during timeouts often or get involved in the game to speak of. He is just a spectator for the most part. He is a CEO coach watching to see if he needs to call a time out or argue with the officials and that is all he does..... because he isn't going to get into the details of the game..... he has other coaches to do those things and if they don't do a good job and lose the game by say ..... 53 points here and there or blow a 24 point lead at half time.... oh well. They players will just have to make more plays next time and "get something going"..... cause he is still banking his $4M and cruising on easy street in his jeep playing reggae music up loud 

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 04, 2017, 08:52:31 am
The Hogs have 7 home games in 2017.

3 of those are absolutely "should wins" in non conf play.

Then they have 4 at home that at this point are toss-ups. TCU, Auburn, Miss State and Missouri.

Going on the road they will have A&M, S. Carolina, Alabama, Ole Miss and LSU.

If they win 2 of the 4 that are toss ups at home and 3 of the 5 on the road, along with the 3 "should wins", that is 8 wins.

Is that enough to make everyone happy in season 5?

Make everyone happy? You realize he could go undefeated and win a national title and some will complain that the win total in our victories weren't large enough. 

I think 8 wins with no head scratching losses will please most, but there will still be the "this is as good as it gets" crowd speaking up.

OKCHogFan

B will have the best QB in the conference next year... he has to make any run for the title next year.  Losses like we saw this year mean he is wanting to be fired for the payoff.