Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Think about Sprinkle's last 2 appearances as a Hog

Started by Mo_Better_Hogs, January 02, 2017, 04:42:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo_Better_Hogs

I used the word "appearance" because that's what he was doing as a representative of the UA at the Belk store. And we know what happened there, sadly.

But his last game—Mizzou—in the closing minutes, dropping the TD pass from AA. The go-ahead/probable-game-winner.

It's really too bad, because I've liked Sprinkle a lot over the years. He put in 4 solid years for us, and that's a lot of snaps. Just hate for him to end his career on those 2 sour notes.

rtr

It did seem if the team lost morale at times this season. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

onebadrubi

I remember that "drop" as not being a sure catch?  Wasn't he laying out and it was just out of his reach?

Cinco de Hogo

I do know one thing that I haven't mentioned.  He stopped blocking for AA at some point in the season. 

Dr. Starcs

Hog Solo

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 02, 2017, 07:39:19 pm
I steal think he regrets his collegiate finish.

Looked like his abilities were lifted and left at the shop the last two games for sure.

The_Iceman

I think O'Grady and crew will be an upgrade over Sprinkle next year.

Bacons Rebellion

Except for his Louisiana Tech moment, I felt Sprinkle had a difficult time stepping up and being THE tight end. He excelled as the "other guy" to Henry.

acey33

Nashville Fan

Hard to live up to Henry. Almost every catch was a first down or a touchdown. Hard act to follow.
Pittman or Bust!

BigDumb

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 02, 2017, 07:06:27 pm
I remember that "drop" as not being a sure catch?  Wasn't he laying out and it was just out of his reach?

No, it was a perfectly thrown ball that hit him in the hands.  There was absolutely no laying out.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Nashville Fan on January 03, 2017, 12:06:50 pm
Hard to live up to Henry. Almost every catch was a first down or a touchdown. Hard act to follow.

You're not serious, right?

Henry caught nine touchdown passes in three seasons. Wasn't exactly a scoring machine.
[CENSORED]!

razoredge178

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on January 02, 2017, 08:31:28 pm
Except for his Louisiana Tech moment, I felt Sprinkle had a difficult time stepping up and being THE tight end. He excelled as the "other guy" to Henry.

Are you serious? Jeremy Sprinkle, IMO, is officially the most under/mis-utilized player in CBB's era. Instead of playing a true TE role, he got to supplement that garbage offensive line, more specifically CBB's pet project from Europe.

If I were Sprinkle I'd tell CBB to stick it where the sun don't shine. If and when he turns out to be the next Jason Witten, CBB can think back at how d*** badly he misused that kid. Dang near a tragedy in my book.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Sprinkle did a great job blocking this year, and caught just about every pass he had thrown his way. People always judge TE's based on how many catches he had, but they forget just how important the blocking aspect is. 

al_pigcino

Quote from: razoredge178 on January 03, 2017, 12:18:38 pm
Are you serious? Jeremy Sprinkle, IMO, is officially the most under/mis-utilized player in CBB's era. Instead of playing a true TE role, he got to supplement that garbage offensive line, more specifically CBB's pet project from Europe.

If I were Sprinkle I'd tell CBB to stick it where the sun don't shine. If and when he turns out to be the next Jason Witten, CBB can think back at how d*** badly he misused that kid. Dang near a tragedy in my book.
I'd go with most hyped instead of most under utilized.  The only spectacular catches he made were because he couldn't get open.  We were spoiled with DJ and Henry.  We wanted to be Tight End U so bad we put Sprinkle above his capability and judged him when he didn't meet that criteria.  He's a good TE, just not the legend he was hyped to be.

razoredge178

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 03, 2017, 12:35:48 pm
I'd go with most hyped instead of most under utilized.  The only spectacular catches he made were because he couldn't get open.  We were spoiled with DJ and Henry.  We wanted to be Tight End U so bad we put Sprinkle above his capability and judged him when he didn't meet that criteria.  He's a good TE, just not the legend he was hyped to be.

I'm not sure how you can make that judgment when he spent 90% of his plays as an extension of that garbage O line. We'll see what his potential is in the next couple of seasons I guess.

al_pigcino

Quote from: razoredge178 on January 03, 2017, 12:39:16 pm
I'm not sure how you can make that judgment when he spent 90% of his plays as an extension of that garbage O line. We'll see what his potential is in the next couple of seasons I guess.
I just told you how I can make that judgment, by him being a nonfactor when running routes.  He needs to do a better job getting open. 

pigture perfect

When we have 2 really great Ends like Henry and Sprinkle they shine. THis year we didn't have another one step up to give us a tandem. Meanwhile in San Diego, Henry is paired with one of the best over the last decade in Gates, and doing some great things as the heir apparent. Depth, that's our biggest issue. Quality depth.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

NoogaHog

Seems he couldn't just grab the spotlight and run with it

It's like his progress was arrested

He just pilfered a catch here or there

Enough to make me Belk

Yeah, the way we lost those last 2 games was just larceny.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

NoogaHog

NoogaHog

Sorry mods, all in fun. Remove those last 2 posts if you feel led.  :)

NoogaHog

Hopefully we have another good TE in the bag

Someone who can lift the spirits and steal the hearts of hog fans

A TE who can pick the ball out of the sky like he is suspended in the air.

(And who can run like he stole something!) ;)

Razorbackers

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 03, 2017, 12:09:33 pm
You're not serious, right?

Henry caught nine touchdown passes in three seasons. Wasn't exactly a scoring machine.

He also literally dropped 0 passes and averaged a first down with every catch. He was automatic.

Sprinkle scored a lot of touchdowns last year, more than Henry or DJ. Personally, I think it's because Henry was able to take a lot of focus from the defense. jmo.

Razorbackers

Quote from: razoredge178 on January 03, 2017, 12:18:38 pm

Sprinkle was forced to stay home and block more than he should have, but it was necessary.

Also..."if and when" he turns into the next Hall of Fame football player? cmon.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 03, 2017, 02:36:29 pm
He also literally dropped 0 passes and averaged a first down with every catch. He was automatic.

Sprinkle scored a lot of touchdowns last year, more than Henry or DJ. Personally, I think it's because Henry was able to take a lot of focus from the defense. jmo.

Henry made a lot of opportunities for Sprinkle, who had nobody doing that for him this season. Sprinkle also had to stay in to block more often, because lack of imagination from coaching staff. Use a fricking blocking end, how about?

[CENSORED]!

Razorbackers

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 03, 2017, 02:39:53 pm
Henry made a lot of opportunities for Sprinkle, who had nobody doing that for him this season. Sprinkle also had to stay in to block more often, because lack of imagination from coaching staff. Use a fricking blocking end, how about?

Yeah, I think that's why Cantrell saw so much action. Good blocker that has good hands. Not gonna be a gamebreaker I don't think.

idk, Sprinkle's lack of production is definitely the biggest question mark for me. It's not like we didn't throw it around. Allen was winging it every game out of necessity.

hawgmasta

Sprinkle probably hurt his stock a little bit with those last two "appearances" (the last one didn't count because of the arrest) but once he puts up his size and athletic ability he will be fine. He's a freak.

zebradynasty

I am not sure anyone had Sprinkle as legendary. He wasn't labeled as can't miss coming out of high school. He was built more like a small forward.

With the way the NFL is going TE is going to be a big part of the offense. If Sprinkle runs in the 4.5-4.6 range at '6-6" 250...he can have a nice career in the NFL. I think when NFL scouts and GM's really look into this kids background and see that this was truly ONE dumb move and not his personality they'll overlook this incident. He just needs to get stronger and work on his route running. 

hawgmasta

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 03, 2017, 08:25:06 pm
I think when NFL scouts and GM's really look into this kids background and see that this was truly ONE dumb move and not his personality they'll overlook this incident. He just needs to get stronger and work on his route running.

I agree; this appears to be a one time incident. Sprinkle has no history of bad behavior or attitude. All I've ever heard or read has been of a positive young man.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: NoogaHog on January 03, 2017, 01:52:07 pm
Seems he couldn't just grab the spotlight and run with it

It's like his progress was arrested

He just pilfered a catch here or there

Enough to make me Belk

Yeah, the way we lost those last 2 games was just larceny.

Quote from: NoogaHog on January 03, 2017, 01:53:43 pm
He's gonna lose in the court of public opinion

Quote from: NoogaHog on January 03, 2017, 02:08:25 pm
Hopefully we have another good TE in the bag

Someone who can lift the spirits and steal the hearts of hog fans

A TE who can pick the ball out of the sky like he is suspended in the air.

(And who can run like he stole something!) ;)

You done, FNG?
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci