Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Up and coming versus established head coach

Started by lamont7906, January 02, 2017, 12:20:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hollywood870 on January 02, 2017, 10:19:00 pm
Not sipping on anything tonight man.

Well if you think you know what I want, and if you think that is 7 consecutive Liberty bowls you must be smoking a bowl of something.

Hollywood870

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 02, 2017, 10:20:53 pm
Well if you think you know what I want, and if you think that is 7 consecutive Liberty bowls you must be smoking a bowl of something.
Well then I am mistaken about you. My apologies.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 02, 2017, 04:27:29 pm
The program is better than when he got it.  He isn't doing well.  Were you trying to help me with my point of what this job is?

It would have very, very hard for it not to get better than what he handed to him. When you are at the bottom anything is better.

majp51

Quote from: lamont7906 on January 02, 2017, 12:20:39 pm
My question is who do you prefer and why and why not? I always thought about this and Arkansas being a mid level program and located in a small state and town who would do us best. I feel getting an up and coming coach would be better for our program. Both types of coaches have their pros and cons; however, I think the pros of an up and comer is better.
A well established coach like so many here want is not likely unless he trying to rebuild his reputation or have ties within the state IMO.

Until/Unless Arkansas becomes a top tier SEC program (which currently it is not) you need to be looking at an up and coming coach. Any "Established" coach looking for a lateral, or even lesser position is going to carry baggage that most likely will end up meaning you won't see much help. The bigger problem with an established coach is that there will also be a group that believe he will be successful no matter what facts point to him not being so at this program. Since we are a mid tier SEC program, we have the potential to keep any up and comer that turns out to be the next Dabo Swinney. The Benefit of an up and comer is that if like Bielema, they show an inability to do anything more than be average, cutting ties is easy.

elviscat

First, thing that Arkansas needs to do to re-estabish it's football program is to remove Jeff Long from his AD position. He wouldn't know a great coach from a beach bum. Appoint a committee of former Razorback greats with background in coaching, like Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson, Ken Hatfield, Dick Bumpass, who have the knowledge and experience to see and pick a great coach. Give the committee complete control over the hiring process. People who are around sports know the best candidates. Bring in a coach who would is willing make the changes that must be made in order to build a championship program.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 02, 2017, 10:13:47 pm
If Orgeron was so great and coaching is the key variable, Ole Miss would have been better.  He will be great at LSU because talent will make him better.

Hiring a high school coach to lead an SEC team is a new low for our fans if anyone gets behind that idea.
Art Briles, Gus Malzaln, and Hugh Freeze were high school coaching legends just to name a few. Just saying...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

LZH

Up-and-comer is tough in this league. Having said that, if we got a hold of a real sharp shooter I would be okay with it.

Until he started losing and then I would continue to beat the holy darn out of my poor horse.