Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changes in the Radio Booth for Baseball games?

Started by therazdude2084, February 15, 2018, 03:51:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

therazdude2084

Bubba Carpenter replacing Rick Schaeffer...  Anyone have any incite on what happened with that?

trippigs

dbhog

Quote from: therazdude2084 on February 15, 2018, 03:51:03 pm
Bubba Carpenter replacing Rick Schaeffer...  Anyone have any incite on what happened with that?

Apparently IMG wants former players or coaches as the analyst.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: dbhog on February 15, 2018, 04:35:22 pm
Apparently IMG wants former players or coaches as the analyst.

Understandable since that is the norm, but it's odd it was just announced. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 15, 2018, 04:51:26 pm
Understandable since that is the norm, but it's odd it was just announced. 

Well.....the season doesn't start until tomorrow.....

trippigs

I too think the timing is strange......and I am not a conspirator

BroyledNutts

Quote from: ricepig on February 15, 2018, 03:54:06 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/feb/15/hogs-make-change-baseball-radio-booth/

It does sound like IMG was the one to make the change ... I know Rick aggravated some people with his flubs in play by play, but you won't find another person alive who knows more about Razorback Baseball, the MLB, or the game itself, than Rick Schaeffer ... I will miss the knowledge, trivia, stories, and passion for the Hogs that Rick brought to the broadcast ...

Bubba has some huge, Tupperware shaped shoes to fill.

spe450

Well, now how am I gonna know that an infield fly could be outta the park?

Pudgepork

IMG doesn't get the credit.  Rick said yesterday that his employer made the decision.  He mentioned that it wasn't img

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: spe450 on February 16, 2018, 06:20:02 am
Well, now how am I gonna know that an infield fly could be outta the park?

LOL. Nobody can question the knowledge of all things Razorback and passion of sunshine Rick.

pigture perfect

I will miss Rick. He has been an announcer in one form or the other for the Hogs for 42 years. I think he should go out on his terms.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HogFansReunited

I wasn't a fan of his PBP but the man knows his baseball.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

And no one can question his Razorback fanhood.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

BroyledNutts

The Rick Schaeffer Broadcast Booth at Baum Stadium ...

elksnort

Quote from: BroyledNutts on February 16, 2018, 03:30:51 pm
The Rick Schaeffer Broadcast Booth at Baum Stadium ...
Good idea.
He is an excellent baseball guy. Also, he's seems like a great guy.  I know he's the ultimate Sunshine pumper though

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

SPAL

uconnhog

hawgcraZ

I thought I would be in favor of this given all of the oddities that Rick has when calling baseball (strikes then balls when giving the count, etc.), but it was terrible.

Bubba was extremely boring in the booth.  Down right horrible.  Rick was passionate about the game and loved the Razorbacks and brought this to every game.

#bringbackRick

SPAL

Let's give the guy a chance, dude.

He is replacing a legend. It was his first Razorback baseball game. It was last minute.

I hope your employers have given you more than one day on the job before you got the ax.

parallaxpig

Quote from: hawgcraZ on February 17, 2018, 09:00:40 am
I thought I would be in favor of this given all of the oddities that Rick has when calling baseball (strikes then balls when giving the count, etc.), but it was terrible.

Bubba was extremely boring in the booth.  Down right horrible.  Rick was passionate about the game and loved the Razorbacks and brought this to every game.

#bringbackRick

Put me on the other side. Enjoyed listening to Bubba..........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

hogs7199

Quote from: hawgcraZ on February 17, 2018, 09:00:40 am

#bringbackRick

Bubba actually brought some baseball knowledge to the booth.  It was his first series.  He is still finding his way.  But, I will take a concise explanation of why we scored from third on a fly ball that was not hit very deep all day long.  When the play by play guys says "shallow pop fly to right field" and our guy tags and scores anyway.  I want to know why.  Bubba, was able to tell me why.  "I'm not sure why the center fielder didn't call off the right fielder. He had a much better angle to make the throw home."  He offers expert analysis, which was sorely lacking with Rick.  Bubba will get better with the nuances of the radio.  He already offers a ton more analysis than Rick and his constant yelling.

SPAL

I deleted all the Jeff long arguing and calling each other names stuff. It's Petty and takes away from the thread.

hoglady

I listened on the radio this weekend.
Let's just say it can only get better.
Too much dead air time for me.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

arthurhawgerelli

Bubba sounded a bit nervous or apprehensive.  Very understandable, especially if it is his first gig as color commentator.  He has the "ya know" tic I hope he gets rid of, but is a sign of nervousness.  I really did like the information he gave that only a person who had played at his level can give.  I do the "ya know" thing myself when I'm nervous, just getting to know my new students, etc.  Once I've gotten to the point that I can put a name with each face, I usually will ask my class to let me know if I'm "ya knowing," or saying "okay" over and over. 

I think Rick was awesome at doing what he did.  When he says his employer made the change, I'm assuming he's talking about Springdale School District expanding his job.  I will say this about Rick, if there is a nicer guy on this planet, I'd like to meet that person.

Good luck Bubba.  Good start.

Paul Westerhawg

Long fired Rick last August. When Long was fired Rick asked for a reconsideration and was told in January that was not an option. Bubba's hire was not last minute. Rick explained all of this on DTS last week.

StuartDavin

This topic actually reminded me of a story from 2015 that I never heard an update on. Did they ever say why Phil Elson seemingly disappeared during the regional tournament? I just recall they had to use a guy from a local university.

SPAL

Quote from: StuartDavin on February 22, 2018, 11:26:17 am
This topic actually reminded me of a story from 2015 that I never heard an update on. Did they ever say why Phil Elson seemingly disappeared during the regional tournament? I just recall they had to use a guy from a local university.

Sometimes, we face chronic problems that just go up in smoke when we don't want them to. Sometimes you just gotta pull the weeds to get the flowers to blossom. A bowl of ice cream or a bowl of cereal is a much better solution.

ricepig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 22, 2018, 11:50:41 am
Sometimes, we face chronic problems that just go up in smoke when we don't want them to. Sometimes you just gotta pull the weeds to get the flowers to blossom. A bowl of ice cream or a bowl of cereal is a much better solution.

Man, that's the dope....

SPAL

BroyledNutts

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 22, 2018, 11:50:41 am

The king of innuendo ... WELL played Sir ...

Rambo Hog

My main problem with Bubba was his long on air rambles every game  about playing for the Atlanta Braves or some other minor league team he played for  instead of any kind of  knowledge about college baseball or  the players on the team like sunshine Rick did. Every game he has done it sounded like a  crappy minor league baseball game on national radio for espn until Phil Elison started talking again.