Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it safe to say it's Venables???

Started by synthartist69, December 13, 2017, 04:46:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

a0ashle

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on December 13, 2017, 09:05:43 pm
If there is no DC hire this week, it increases the odds that it's Venables. If the DC candidate was playing in a regular bowl game, Morris would want him on board ASAP. But if that candidate is in the playoffs, then you could understand why he wants to stay and to keep it quite. I have 2 sources that say it's Venables and yes I know and understand how you would be skeptical cause I am as well until I see something official. But, until I see someone else announced, I will trust and hope they're right.

This line of thinking ignores the simplest reason for the delay... its taking time to interview/select a DC.

HamGrowsOnTrees

LZH

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Smashmouth2004

Quote from: a0ashle on December 13, 2017, 09:08:26 pm
This line of thinking ignores the simplest reason for the delay... its taking time to interview/select a DC.
I'm hoping! We're a fan base that deserves some good news.

pigture perfect

I'm a realist, pessimist, skeptic or whatever else you want to call it. I don't think we get Venables.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

BOAR_N2BWILD

Oh how I miss the
"It is a done deal...."
"New coach announced Monday...." type threads.
Any one got anything?
Ready for this DC search to be over
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

redeye

There's no way that Bielema Venables leaves Wisconsin Clemson for Arkansas.

:-X

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on December 13, 2017, 06:42:19 pm
Whoever we hire people are going to look up a game where his team gave up 40 points and then complain because Chad Morris promised he would get the best Defensive Coordinator in the country and now he is lying to the fan base.
And that would be the fault of...the fan base?

How about he not make promises if he can't deliver?

Rayzback

Quote from: redeye on December 13, 2017, 09:42:14 pm
There's no way that Bielema Venables leaves Wisconsin Clemson for Arkansas.

There's no way that Malzahn Bielema Venables leaves Auburn Wisconsin Clemson for Arkansas.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

redeye

Quote from: Rayzback on December 13, 2017, 09:49:31 pm
There's no way that Malzahn Bielema Venables leaves Auburn Wisconsin Clemson for Arkansas.

So you're saying we only have a 50% chance?   ;D

I don't think Venables is coming either, but I've learned not to ever say never.  It's the safe response, but not always the right one.

Rayzback

Quote from: redeye on December 13, 2017, 09:54:47 pm
So you're saying we only have a 50% chance?   ;D

I don't think Venables is coming either, but I've learned not to ever say never.  It's the safe response, but not always the right one.

Don't get me wrong, I love surprises 🎁  but appreciate the socks and ties just the same :) 
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

PORKULATOR

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 13, 2017, 04:51:14 pm
It is not safe to say that.
why,did it make you fall? Did it make you flip a car? How exactly did it affect your safty?
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 13, 2017, 07:22:47 pm
Would Nick Saban float your boat?

PRJ
Didnt even win his own division this year... PASS

Mjs84

Totally agree!  Venables lock!  If we go into college football playoffs with no DC, you can bet your little piggy tails, Venables is headed to the Hill!  Fact that HV is saying no, just increases the odds.

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 13, 2017, 06:27:04 pm
I wish Chad, Brent and Dabo were all trolls enough to fake a commitment from Lil' Venables to Arkansas and have his momma steal the letter on signing day...
His mother is no longer  with us.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

TexArkHogFan

The more I read about Venables the more I am convinced that the only way we will ever see him in Fayetteville is if we schedule a home and home series with Clemson.

There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Haters gonna hate

Quote from: colbs on December 13, 2017, 04:55:44 pm
Not safe at all.  You're setting yourself up to be disappointed even if a good DC is hired.

Alex Grinch should be hired now

Phil D

GO HOGS!!!!!!

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on December 13, 2017, 04:55:17 pm
I think its safe to say it will be a DC that is currently employed at another school..   
...and taking his current team to a bowl. Doubt there will be much new information until bowls are over.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

nightrider388

These threads are what separates Arkansas from the rest of the real world. I wish the mods would trash this or move to rumors.

TexArkHogFan

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Jonbo on December 13, 2017, 05:33:24 pm
It's definitely Venables!... unless it's The Grinch... Then it's absolutely The Grinch!... unless it's that other fellow they keep mentioning. Then...

Actually, that Grinch fellow sounds pretty intriguing to me. I wonder if Arky has the pull to get him. We seem to have "won the press conference", so far.

"Arky?"  Really?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

rljjr

It's definitely Venables!... unless it's The Grinch... Then it's absolutely The Grinch!... unless it's that other fellow they keep mentioning. Then...

Actually, that Grinch fellow sounds pretty intriguing to me. I wonder if Arky has the pull to get him. We seem to have "won the press conference", so far.

Who is this Arky you speak of? Oh that's right. It's a derogatory term used by other team's fans.

rhames

Quote from: nightrider388 on December 14, 2017, 06:18:13 am
These threads are what separates Arkansas from the rest of the real world. I wish the mods would trash this or move to rumors.

Not really. Other fanbases do the exact same thing.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on December 13, 2017, 11:29:26 pm
His mother is no longer  with us.
They are referring to Venables the Younger, not the Greater. Don't think Brent's wife is passed.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on December 14, 2017, 06:35:05 am
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2017/11/30/clemson-brent-venables-coaching-rumors-arkansas-interest-head-coach/908316001/

Every player cannot be a captain. Every soldier cannot be a general. Every professor cannot be a dean. Every writer cannot be an editor.

Everything in that article is why you try to get Venables here if you can. The truth is Morris and Venables are friends, and no one on this board is privy to the conversations they have or haven't had about working together. If Morris believes he can get Venables here then I say give him every opportunity to do that. I think we can agree that with Venables the deciding factors will be more about family than money, but the UA will certainly make the money part work out. And if we do, Venables could very well be here for the duration of his career.

The timetable to have a DC on staff before the early period is pretty much over at this point (unless we've already got an offer outstanding). After this recruiting weekend we go into the quiet period for recruiting and also the CFP. Short of someone like Grinch being announced tomorrow we're probably not going to know who the DC is until January, which may be just as well.

tbhogfan

Quote from: synthartist69 on December 13, 2017, 04:46:38 pm
Each day that passes by increases the odds that it is Venables right?
Each day that passes means it's likely that the new DC has one or two games left to coach at his current school. 
Go Hogs!

LZH

Quote from: rljjr on December 14, 2017, 07:15:30 am
Who is this Arky you speak of? Oh that's right. It's a derogatory term used by other team's fans.

When 'Arkies' and 'Okies' moved to California during the Depression and soon after WWII it was a badge of honor, because they were known as bad asses that worked their butts off. Don't be so sensitive.

The Hawg Marshal

I think it's much safer to say it's not Venables than to say it is. I'd love to be wrong , but just don't see it happening.

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: HenduHog on December 14, 2017, 07:42:55 am
They are referring to Venables the Younger, not the Greater. Don't think Brent's wife is passed.
My apologies.  Thought we were talking about Brent.  Missed the "little Venables" part. 

snf6278

You should never be allowed to post again using the term "Arky"! You do realize other teams use that term in a derogatory way to talk down to the Razorbacks!

OkieBack

Quote from: tbhogfan on December 14, 2017, 08:51:59 am
Each day that passes means it's likely that the new DC has one or two games left to coach at his current school.

I am absolutely positive, reassured, and undeniably correct in saying the new DC will be either a chimpanzee, Brent Venables, or someone in between.  Who's got money on the chimp?  Lol

AandB

Quote from: snf6278 on December 14, 2017, 09:00:31 am
You should never be allowed to post again using the term "Arky"! You do realize other teams use that term in a derogatory way to talk down to the Razorbacks!

Ride the sensitive train much?

HamGrowsOnTrees

Quote from: LZH on December 14, 2017, 08:57:24 am
When 'Arkies' and 'Okies' moved to California during the Depression and soon after WWII it was a badge of honor, because they were known as bad asses that worked their butts off. Don't be so sensitive.

Boom

People try their hardest to have hurt feelings now a days.

World is going to hell

And I guess..: stay off my lawn.

OkieBack

Quote from: LZH on December 14, 2017, 08:57:24 am

I'm a dumb Okie.  My mom was a dumb Arky.  I went to school with a bunch of Arky's.  Loved em all.  So as long as our Hogs get a helluva DC that kicks butt, I don't care what we're called.  As long as we are on top of the scoreboard at the end of the game they can call us whatever the hell they want because it won't matter.  Scoreboard!!!

Paul

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 14, 2017, 08:46:37 am
Everything in that article is why you try to get Venables here if you can. The truth is Morris and Venables are friends, and no one on this board is privy to the conversations they have or haven't had about working together. If Morris believes he can get Venables here then I say give him every opportunity to do that. I think we can agree that with Venables the deciding factors will be more about family than money, but the UA will certainly make the money part work out. And if we do, Venables could very well be here for the duration of his career.

The timetable to have a DC on staff before the early period is pretty much over at this point (unless we've already got an offer outstanding). After this recruiting weekend we go into the quiet period for recruiting and also the CFP. Short of someone like Grinch being announced tomorrow we're probably not going to know who the DC is until January, which may be just as well.
if Morris thinks he can get Venables I doubt he would have offered Grinch

code red

Venables has 1 kid on the team and 1 committed so....IDK if that means anything but I doubt we match what Clemson can offer.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: rljjr on December 14, 2017, 07:15:30 am

Arkansas...Arky, Arkie, AR, Ar-Kansas, Arkansaw, Ark, etc, etc...Soooooo many choices.  Eh, I'll just go with Razorbacks, Hogs, Hawgs, Piggies, WarPigs, Pigs, etc, etc... :-\

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: code red on December 14, 2017, 02:07:48 pm
Venables has 1 kid on the team and 1 committed so....IDK if that means anything but I doubt we match what Clemson can offer.

He has one son that is HS senior and a verbal commit (not signed), and another who is an HS sophomore. I'd say if he's ever going to move now would be the time. His son would likely move his commitment as well.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Paul on December 14, 2017, 02:05:37 pm
if Morris thinks he can get Venables I doubt he would have offered Grinch

We don't know that that he's offered anyone.

Hoggish1

Quote from: code red on December 14, 2017, 02:07:48 pm

And what can Clemson offer?  If you don't know that you don't know what he would accept at Arkansas.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 14, 2017, 02:27:14 pm
And what can Clemson offer?  If you don't know that you don't know what he would accept at Arkansas.
well he is making 1.7 right now

I think we were only paying PR about 900K
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

TuckFexas81

Quote from: synthartist69 on December 13, 2017, 04:46:38 pm
Each day that passes by increases the odds that it is Venables right?

NOT happening!

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 14, 2017, 02:31:39 pm

We paid PR what he was worth, doesn't mean that is all we could afford. Ive seen several things saying Arkansas would pay up to 2-2.5 mil for Venables 

PorkSoda

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on December 14, 2017, 02:38:17 pm
We paid PR what he was worth, doesn't mean that is all we could afford. Ive seen several things saying Arkansas would pay up to 2-2.5 mil for Venables 
yeah, just laying out a starting point.  it definitely seems like the UofA decided that they need to throw some cash around to get some big names.  we will see what happens.  I'm guess we end up paying in the 1.5-2 range for somebody unless we strike out on all of our top targets.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 14, 2017, 02:31:39 pm

At one point the rumor was that we're willing to pay $2.5M for Venables to be the DC. I have no idea if that's true but if we were willing to pay $7M for Gus we still come out ahead with a Morris/Venables combo.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 14, 2017, 02:41:19 pm
At one point the rumor was that we're willing to pay $2.5M for Venables to be the DC. I have no idea if that's true but if we were willing to pay $7M for Gus we still come out ahead with a Morris/Venables combo.
I guess we will know if Venables gets a raise to 2.5 after the bowl.

redeye

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 14, 2017, 02:23:42 pm
We don't know that that he's offered anyone.

Brock Huard? reported that Grinch was weighing an offer from Arkansas, although he's the only source afaik.

HF#1

It's safe to say he is staying at Clemson.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin