Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cole Kelly

Started by Hawgphat, December 07, 2017, 06:17:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 07:36:15 pm
It’s 100% the kind of offense he ran at Clemson.  He adapts and plays to his strengths.

It isn't what he did at SMU. He'll use Kelly and run it that way. Kelly is the only QB he has that has seen significant playing time so Morris will use him like he did his QB at SMU.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Billy Bats

Quote from: GuvHog on December 07, 2017, 07:37:39 pm
That's ridiculous. You don't put a QB with a cannon for an arm at TE. That's just plain silly.

Randall Cobb and Terrelle Pryor both had solid arms. 

Billy Bats

Quote from: GuvHog on December 07, 2017, 07:40:09 pm
It isn't what he did at SMU. He'll use Kelly and run it that way. Kelly is the only QB he has that has seen significant playing time so Morris will use him like he did his QB at SMU.

He did stuff before SMU. 

Sivad

moses_007

Quote from: Acehawg on December 07, 2017, 06:25:26 pm
Beef him up and put him on the O-line...
He'd be a road grader....

PorkSoda

free safety or maybe corner back.  just needs to work on his hip flexibility, but should be able to compete with tall receivers for those 50/50 balls
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Cale

Quote from: devildoghawg on December 07, 2017, 06:30:57 pm
Kelley will start next year and wreck shop in this system.  Just watch.  Dude has a bullet arm and the ability to move the line when needed.
agreed as long as he can catch on to the offense. Otherwise it'll prolly be year 2
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

bphi11ips

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 07, 2017, 06:42:11 pm
I see CK as being the QB for at least a year. Too hard to get a rookie up to speed. There is too great a chance that Bohanon needs a RS year to adjust to D1 football. Hyatt is the unknown - what can he bring to the table. I don't see Storey being here after the spring, especially if we sign two QBs this class.

Depends on the rookie and how bad the team needs him.  Georgia is in the NC with a true freshman.  There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Cole Kelley is not built for CCM's offense.  That doesn't mean an effective offense can't be built around him, but if there are better options CCM isn't going to play Kelley based on seniority.  That's the kind of stuff that got Bielema fired. 

CCM knows he has a honeymoon year and that is helped by the fact that Bielema recruited a different kind of QB than he needs to run his offense.  I like Kelley's passion and he has some skills, but you have to build an offense around him.  You can't plug him in to what CCM does.  You can't plug him into a pro-style offense, either, without some serious work on his mechanics.  There's a reason he wasn't highly recruited.  Enos saw something in him and that was probably his confidence, the mismatches he creates in short yardage situations, his ability to deliver a pass with defenders hanging on him, and his ability to throw the ball 80 yards.  The last two things make him an NFL prospect.  But there's a huge gulf between Kelley and Ben Rothlisberger right now.  As is, Kelley is a big Collin Klein.  If he wants to play on Sundays, his best bet is to transfer to a school that runs a pro-style offense or is willing to build one around him.  It doesn't have to be an FBS school.  Joe Flacco played at Delaware.  Someone can win big with Cole Kelley, but it's not likely a P5 school.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

rzrbackramsfan

I wonder how our qb depth chart will shakeout.  It could really change up since there's a new style of play and most Likely lackluster talent evaluations.

Hogginintheville

Great coaches know how to adjust around the talent they have. That's what makes high school coaching legends. Petrino had Mallett we all saw what he did with him. Then he goes to Louisville and had Jackson with a completely different skill set and we saw what he was able to do with him. Point is, if Morris is the offensive guru we all hope he is then at least on the front end, he will work with what he has and make it work. I mean if Petrino could make Casey Dick into a decent QB isn't anything possible?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 07, 2017, 08:09:58 pm
Depends on the rookie and how bad the team needs him.  Georgia is in the NC with a true freshman.  There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Cole Kelley is not built for CCM's offense.  That doesn't mean an effective offense can't be built around him, but if there are better options CCM isn't going to play Kelley based on seniority.  That's the kind of stuff that got Bielema fired. 

CCM knows he has a honeymoon year and that is helped by the fact that Bielema recruited a different kind of QB than he needs to run his offense.  I like Kelley's passion and he has some skills, but you have to build an offense around him.  You can't plug him in to what CCM does.  You can't plug him into a pro-style offense, either, without some serious work on his mechanics.  There's a reason he wasn't highly recruited.  Enos saw something in him and that was probably his confidence, the mismatches he creates in short yardage situations, his ability to deliver a pass with defenders hanging on him, and his ability to throw the ball 80 yards.  The last two things make him an NFL prospect.  But there's a huge gulf between Kelley and Ben Rothlisberger right now.  As is, Kelley is a big Collin Klein.  If he wants to play on Sundays, his best bet is to transfer to a school that runs a pro-style offense or is willing to build one around him.  It doesn't have to be an FBS school.  Joe Flacco played at Delaware.  Someone can win big with Cole Kelley, but it's not likely a P5 school.

Watch this you"Absolutely No Doubter"...
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3137127/5721bb8964e96b6380ff331d
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Smashmouth2004

I believe Story, Hyatt and Noland fit the offense the best. Bohanon is the future but needs a redshirt year to get use to the speed since he played at a lower division in H.S. but he does have the tools.

bphi11ips

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 07, 2017, 08:27:15 pm
Watch this you"Absolutely No Doubter"...
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3137127/5721bb8964e96b6380ff331d

Watched it two years ago and wondered here why he wasn't more highly recruited.

Holmes501

Quote from: Pork Ranger on December 07, 2017, 06:28:02 pm
Has there ever been a QB switch positions to OL??

AJ Derby converted to TE from QB in the NFL

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Hogginintheville on December 07, 2017, 08:20:46 pm
Great coaches know how to adjust around the talent they have. That's what makes high school coaching legends. Petrino had Mallett we all saw what he did with him. Then he goes to Louisville and had Jackson with a completely different skill set and we saw what he was able to do with him. Point is, if Morris is the offensive guru we all hope he is then at least on the front end, he will work with what he has and make it work. I mean if Petrino could make Casey Dick into a decent QB isn't anything possible?

The way that dude pushed the Cheerleaders to the side to get to the podium in the presser today....I figure the ones that aren't relevant are done.

solitons

CK even can be a O-line, but he is good for QB

jbigs77

Quote from: Pork Ranger on December 07, 2017, 06:21:08 pm
Yeah lol @ slot receiver
I disagree. I think option read, run threat. Big strong. May fit good.

PorkSoda

Jared Lorenzon could have.

the round mound of touchdown
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hawgXi

Quote from: Hawgphat on December 07, 2017, 06:17:10 pm
Serious question:

Is it POSSIBLE that - within Morris's offensive scheme - CK could be converted to Fullback or Tight End, put on a strict diet and exercise program, lose about 25-30 pounds of suet and used primarily as a blocking back and/or slot receiver?  He could also be used as an option passer/runner in some variation of "Wild Hog" formation. 

Do you think that would be at all feasible, - not necessarily in a full-time, first team starter capacity, - - but as an integral element of the offensive scheme in certain situations?

Do you think Kelly might go along with such a transition?

Kinda like hootie wanted to put ryan mallett at TE (before he committed to michigan)?

How bout cole in the tebow offense?

HogAllMighty

Best thread of the night!  Lol

Uncommon

Lane Johnson

bphi11ips

Quote from: hawgXi on December 07, 2017, 08:57:12 pm
Kinda like hootie wanted to put ryan mallett at TE (before he committed to michigan)?

How bout cole in the tebow offense?

That's sort of what it would look like, but Tebow is quicker than Kelley and threw the ball much more accurately.  Kansas State and Collin Klein are the closest thing to what a spread would look like with Kelley.  Kelley's best shot at getting paid to play football, though, is as a pocket passer.  He needs to work on his feet and get the ball up where he can step up and make a quicker release.  Enos said all these things.  It doesn't take a QB guru to see it.

gawntrail

December 07, 2017, 09:23:21 pm #72 Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:33:48 pm by gawntrail
Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 07, 2017, 06:35:00 pm
I have been around a long time, I have seen a QB or two even taller than Kelley namely Mark McGwire's brother who played somewhere on the west coast and Brock Osweiler, who were both 6'8.

I have NEVER seen a 6'7 fullback, nor do I ever think I will.

Calvin Hill was 6'4, the tallest RB I have ever seen.

And Slot receiver? For real?

No, I do not think he would go for such a move, would you?

If CM doesn't think Kelley can run his offense, I would think he would be told so and thus transfer.

If CM does think Kelley can run this offense, he would want him to stick around.

Whether he does or not is a different matter. Maybe CK transfers wherever Enos winds up or someplace like ULL or ULM if he doesn't stick around.

If he does stick around, he will need to drop some lbs to run CMs offense, like 20 or more.

Dan McGwire - Claremont HS (His SR year was '85-'86). They beat us in the CIF Semi-Finals in '85.  We put him in the hospital overnight in the last seconds of that game.  Kid was a pure pocket passer with a rifle.  Went to Iowa, then SDSU.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Wildhog on December 07, 2017, 06:17:53 pm
I think Cole can run this offense just fine.
On the button ^^^
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on December 07, 2017, 08:30:34 pm
I believe Story, Hyatt and Noland fit the offense the best. Bohanon is the future but needs a redshirt year to get use to the speed since he played at a lower division in H.S. but he does have the tools.

I disagree about Storey. But I believe the other could make it work

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 07, 2017, 06:37:05 pm
Cole's future with the Razorbacks depends on other options surfacing between now and next season. Shea Patterson would be a game changer, for example. Gerry Bohannon or Connor Noland may be. We don't know a lot about Daulton Hyatt. We pretty well know Ty Storey won't work.

CCM said today that high school coaches are creative by necessity because they can't recruit. That is pretty much where he finds himself next year. Unless someone else comes along, CCM can construct an effective offense around Kelley. It may be fast, but the mismatches he will create will be different than those he would create with a Bohannon or Patterson. The offense will look more like Collin Klein's on roller skates.

You don't want Shea Patterson anywhere near your football program. That family is toxic and has always had their hands out.

Cole Kelly will be fun as hell in this offense if he can keep up the pace.

Herb's terrible S&C program is the first thing that'll get overhauled and we should see the team play a full 4 quarters. Look for more rotations on defense that will build up the depth and keep the guys fresher.

Kelly will do just fine, he's a weapon at QB.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Piggfoot

I don't know how much Kelly weighs but I suspect about 275. I would like to see him at 225-230 for 2 reasons. He looks like a heavy legged plodder. I suspect Morris would like more speed from him. Secondly, in an up tempo 80 play game Kelly is going to need a lot of stamina. His present weight will hold him back. Morris will not allow him to run a plodding offense.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Pigstie

December 07, 2017, 10:39:45 pm #78 Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:11:01 am by Pigstie
We don't have a QB on the team right now that is a perfect fit for this offense. Depending on who we sign that may change. Kelly can't fake a hand off to save his life. Laziest fake I've ever seen. That can be corrected with the right development but you can't coach speed and he doesn't have it. Yes he can move around in a pocket and take a hit but not the final answer for Morris. I haven't seen TS enough to know anything. Get Peavey back as a grad transfer? Go get Shea Patterson? That would give us a year to have someone else ready.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

SSFrazorback

Do you people think our OL problems are gone? We need someone who can take hits and deliver it down field. No, CK is not the optimal QB for CCMs system but he'll tweak it.

jst01

Agree that CK will be able to run the offense just fine. I bet we see a lot of H-back led dives with CK running the ball. Also think CK has the passion to learn whatever he needs to learn and play with some major tempo and aggression in an offense like this.

jackflash

I see know reason Kelly can't run this offense.

Dugann

does matt jones have any play time left?  J/k would have been awesome to see him in this kind of offense.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

hoghiker

Quote from: devildoghawg on December 07, 2017, 06:30:57 pm
Kelley will start next year and wreck shop in this system.  Just watch.  Dude has a bullet arm and the ability to move the line when needed.
I like Kelley. I hope you're right. Color me skeptical.

ThisTeetsTaken

I like the kid but I don't remember him completing a pass downfield.  I'm sure he did but I remember a bunch of deep passes nowhere where they needed to be. His passing yards came mostly from screens and short passes.  Morris' QB has to be able to throw it deep.  Not to mention being able to run.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Michaelt

Quote from: Holmes501 on December 07, 2017, 08:31:39 pm
AJ Derby converted to TE from QB in the NFL

Derby started his collegiate career at Iowa, where, after redshirting his freshman year, he was a backup quarterback in 2011. He appeared in nine games and completed three passes for 30 yards.

Before his sophomore year, he transferred to Coffeyville Community College, where he finished the year throwing for 1,936 yards and 22 touchdowns, leading his team to Region IV semifinals.

Before his junior year, he transferred again, to play at Arkansas, where he was a backup quarterback again. He started one game during the year, finishing the year throwing for 178 yards and one touchdown.

Before his senior year, he was converted to tight end.

Derby played in 11 games with 7 starts at tight end before missing the last two games due to a knee injury. He finished the year with 22 catches for 303 yards and three touchdowns.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

arslp

Ok I,m ready for a ton of smites but until I see some true remorse for driving under the influence then I don't care if he's gone and actually wish for it. Instead of being sorry he was being a smart ass to the cops asking if they had a warrant. Let him go to texas A@M. Fisher loves that kind of player.
My name is written twice on the sidewalks at U of A; the first for a bachelors degree in education; and the second for a master's degree in speech-lanuguage pathology. 

Like my friend "ArkieBrat" says, "Gettin' old ain't for sissies".

NaturalStateReb

If Cole Kelley is the QB next season, it's because they couldn't find someone else.  Morris' offense is a lot like Malzahn's--it's not really designed to be run by a guy who's nearly 300 pounds and runs a 5 second 40 yard dash with a bullet in his leg.  He's got an arm, but he doesn't have the mobility; he needs a more pro-style offense.

They need JUCO help at this position, or they need Daulton Hyatt to be an undiscovered gem.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

arkansashogs

Fully agree with you. There are just a lot morons here dont understand football and having hope on Cole Kelley.

he is a rough prospects which we all see from few games this season. If i am coach Morris, no way I put my reputation on this kid. He has a lot (not little) work needing to be done for his throwing accuracy.

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 08, 2017, 09:03:27 am
If Cole Kelley is the QB next season, it's because they couldn't find someone else.  Morris' offense is a lot like Malzahn's--it's not really designed to be run by a guy who's nearly 300 pounds and runs a 5 second 40 yard dash with a bullet in his leg.  He's got an arm, but he doesn't have the mobility; he needs a more pro-style offense.

They need JUCO help at this position, or they need Daulton Hyatt to be an undiscovered gem.

DeltaBoy

The Steamboat will be fine.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

31to6

Quote from: Wildhog on December 07, 2017, 06:17:53 pm
I think Cole can run this offense just fine.
CCM addressed this in one of his interviews.

To paraphrase: "If you have more of a passing QB then the 'read' becomes more of an pass option or triple option"

Junkyard Hog

He'll definitely be the starter.  Morris mentioned something about a shot offense.

Pretty sure that's his specialty.

Too soon?

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: GuvHog on December 07, 2017, 07:13:29 pm
I swear,  some of y'all need to go watch some video of SMU's offense from this year. The quarterback in the Morris system at SMU is NOT a dual threat QB, he is a pro style shotgun passing QB. Cole Kelly will fit perfectly in Morris's offense with the cannon he has for an arm.. Do any  of y'all remember when Mallett ran the spread under Petrino?? He was way slower than Kelly and he ran it just fine.

This. Kelley's rushing numbers are nearly identical to Hicks' at SMU.

I see Kelley dropping 15-20 pounds and being just fine in the uptempo offense. He will gash some folks when he runs a QB draw with the D line standing up catching their breath because they can't handle the tempo. He wanted to go tempo quite a bit this year, anyway.

AirWarren

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on December 08, 2017, 10:11:42 am
This. Kelley's rushing numbers are nearly identical to Hicks' at SMU.

I see Kelley dropping 15-20 pounds and being just fine in the uptempo offense. He will gash some folks when he runs a QB draw with the D line standing up catching their breath because they can't handle the tempo. He wanted to go tempo quite a bit this year, anyway.

I agree here. I think Cole needs some mechanics work and also needs to be taught to not do all this superhero mess with flick passes while going to the ground, etc. He also needs to shed some weight. I think he is going to be a little too heavy for this offense.

I am looking forward to a full program shake up. Which I like. None of this Austin Cantrell, playing blue shirt Freshman, and shaping up our offensive line to play fast and quick.
Be interesting to see if Story gets a look too. He ran this type of offense at Charleston. And if I am not mistaken, he could also run the ball. I expect a full blown QB competition and no more of this Allen will be starter no matter what nonsense. Which I am happy about.

But look for us to land a true Dual threat between now and then that will give all of them a run for their money. And expect to see some attrition in the lineup. We will probably have some transfers.

AirWarren

Also expect a full blown program shake up. None of this constantly seeing unprepared Freshmen on the line, good OL coaching, and none of that silly passing to Austin Cantrell for 2 yards.

I am excited about that.

HatfieldHog

I personally think that Cole can play QB in Morris's system.  He isn't the prototypical QB for Morris's system, but can be made to work till we recruit the athlete to run it.  I can see Cole coming down the line on an option and getting a little "steam" up and punishing a DB in his path...!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Grizzlyfan

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HogAllMighty on December 07, 2017, 09:03:31 pm
Best thread of the night!  Lol

The stupid is overshadowed by the sarcasm though... There are some real idiots who believe what they are saying with this Cole negativity...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

jimmur74

Funny how I started a thread on this the other day and it was moved to the trash!!! This is a legitimate question.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HatfieldHog on December 08, 2017, 10:23:31 am
I personally think that Cole can play QB in Morris's system.  He isn't the prototypical QB for Morris's system, but can be made to work till we recruit the athlete to run it.  I can see Cole coming down the line on an option and getting a little "steam" up and punishing a DB in his path...!

See ya

There is no Morris system beyond, using whatcha got... Who in the world would want a fast frail QB when you have speed everywhere else. That heavy hitting centrifugal force will catch defenders by surprise when they have been chasing and making arm tackles all day...

Name one BAD big QB... I can't. Plunkett, Tebow, Lorenzen, Big Ben... Some of these guys are so dumb... Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, DUMB.!! Just stooopid.!