Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finally, a big commit!!

Started by psycHOGlogist, December 05, 2017, 12:21:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

Ginger Reece has company!!

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/938106779988381696

Great news. Oberg is a fantastic prospect! WPS!!

psycHOGlogist

flippinhogmana

Excellent News!  Although she is listed at 6-2, she has a good motor she appears and perhaps she might remind MN (and might play like) another 6-2 girl he had about her size at Washington (Okafur, was it?)
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

MoHog74

Great news. CMN was a great hire, and the future of Arkansas WBB is bright.  I believe the lady's name at Washington was Osahor.

psycHOGlogist

Osahor was more like 6'0", and I think Oberg has hit 6'3" by now. And she is a bigger-framed player.

nwahogfan1

Her frame looks like she is ready to play and bang in the middle of the SEC.  Great job CMN.

Sow’sEar

That's fantastic news!  CMN reeling them in!!!  Looks like an outstanding player

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: Lulu Hog on December 06, 2017, 02:58:28 pm
That's fantastic news!  CMN reeling them in!!!  Looks like an outstanding player
Proof of that is the fact that she was being recruited by Maryland and Michigan State who are both outstanding programs.

psycHOGlogist

And it seems like we are out there busily recruiting some of the nation's best. Here's a very recent story about CMN being in the same gym as Brenda Frese from Maryland watching two prospects — in UM's back yard!

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/sports/level/high_school/brandenburg-knights-dig-in-upend-cadets/article_58a4e5f6-5fc5-59e4-97e1-86aba98ceedd.html

Amityvillehogger

Great news. Excited to see CMN get this thing going.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

flippinhogmana

thought you guys might be interested in this article.  It shows how much personal relationships and chemistry is important to especially some recruits.

One of the top junior post players in the nation has committed to Arkansas women's basketball Coach Mike Neighbors.

Center Destinee Oberg, 6-2, of Burnsville (Minn.) Academy Of Holy Angels chose the Razorbacks over scholarship offers from Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Maryland, Washington and others. Her mother, Susie, said Neighbors recruited her daughter while at Washington.

"She really, really liked him," Susie said. "He's such a great person and coach, so when he moved to Arkansas it was kind of a no-brainer. Destinee is an introvert. She's kind of a quite shy kid. She's big, but she's real quiet, and he understands that personality and lets her be her, and I think that's important."

Susie said she's happy with her daughter's decision despite numerous schools hoping to sign her.

"But we kind of knew we were going that direction so we really didn't pursue too much," Susie said.

Oberg has been on colleges radar for awhile.

"She got her first offer as an eighth-grader from the University of Minnesota," Susie said.

She's the second 2019 commitment for the Razorbacks. Lawton, Okla., Eisenhower wing and 2019 prospect Ginger Reece, 5-10, pledged to the Hogs in June.

ProspectsNation.com rates Oberg as the No. 4 post and No. 26 overall prospect in the nation for the 2019 class.

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

Here is another one with a pick, it also mentioned the other players MN is bringing in (or already has, except it fails to mention one transfer).

https://prospectsnation.com/sites/default/files/destinee-oberg-arkansas-800.jpg

Destinee Oberg, the 6-foot-2 junior forward from Burnsville, Minnesota, has verbally committed to Mike Neighbors and the Arkansas Razorbacks.  Oberg, who is ranked No. 26 in the 2019 class by ProspectsNation.com, chose the SEC program over Florida State, Kansas State, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan State, Minnesota, North Dakota, Purdue, Rutgers, Vanderbilt and Wisconsin among others.

https://prospectsnation.com/sites/default/files/destinee-oberg-cmom17-400-2.jpg

Oberg is physical around the basket.
*Photo by Chris Hansen.Oberg's choice was several years in the making, dating back to meeting first-year Razorback head coach Mike Neighbors while he was the head coach at Washington.

"When I first met him I knew just by his personality and coaching style that I wanted to play for him," Oberg said.  "And I would catch myself imagining what it would be like there for classes and practices."

The bond Neighbors built with his players in Seattle led to the Huskies' first-ever Final Four appearance.  While Oberg can't expect to be Kelsey Plum, the size and versatility she possesses could easily be projected to have the impact Chantel Osahor had under Neighbors.  Both are strong framed interior players who can score but also have a knack for passing.

https://prospectsnation.com/sites/default/files/destinee-oberg-cmom17-400.jpg

Oberg's versatility in the post will
help Arkansas in the SEC. *Photo by
Rob Kinslow."Oberg is a classic post player. A throwback of sorts to a time when posts had great hands, great footwork, and the ability to turn over either shoulder," Keil Moore, director of scouting for the JumpOffPlus.com International Report, said.  "I think she's going to benefit a great deal in college because of rule changes and the emphasis on cleaning up physicality in the post. If defenders aren't allowed to be physical and displace her before the catch she is going to be tough to stop once she has the ball."

With her commitment behind her, Oberg is keenly focused on having a strong junior season at the Academy of Holy Angles and a final club ball season.  She missed last spring and summer while recovering from a shoulder injury. As a sophomore, she led her team to the AAA semifinal round after winning a state title her freshman year.

With Oberg on board, Arkansas has two committed players ranked in the ELITE 100 for the 2019 class.  Oberg joins 5-11 wing Ginger Reece of Lawton, Oklahoma.  Add to the mix 2018 signee Rokia Doumbia of Chattanooga, Tennessee, and Oklahoma transfer Chelsea Dungee and the mix of explosive perimeter play and interior strength headed to Fayetteville over the next two years should have the program headed swiftly up the SEC standings.

LadybackBBFan

flippinhogmana

hawgball40

Go Ladybacks. Nice to see us finally be competitive in Womens BB. Mike Neighbors seems to be that guy. WPS

LadybackBBFan

I went to the Bulldog Classic Basketball Tournament yesterday.  Coach MN was there as were several players.  I saw two important games - North Little Rock against Jonesboro and Little Rock Central against Fayetteville.  The two teams that I expected to win both lost - Jonesboro and Fayetteville and they play today for 3rd place while the other two play for the championship.
Despite having two highly ranked sophomores in Eaton and Destiny Salary, they were no match for NLR due to no height with Eaton being a 5' 11" guard and Salary, also a guard, at 5' 10" being Jonesboro's only two players over 5' 9".  I know we have offered Eaton, but I do not know if we have offered Salary.  I think we should if we have not.
NLR won easily despite their star junior guard, Kennady Tucker, not even in uniform - I do not know the reason.  Amber Hawkison and Yo'myris Morris were more than enough to handle the smaller team - no contest from the start.
LR Central really surprised me as they took control of the game in the second period after being down 8 at the end of the first quarter.  They were up 9 at the half and Fayetteville could never close the gap in spite of having two highly ranked sophomores in Beck and Goforth plus the center Franklin who has signed with MO State. 
For Central, Williams is from there and was at the game,  I was impressed with Erynn Barnum, a 6' 1" guard forward who is an excellent ball handler, scorer and rebounder.  It appears that she is committed  to the New Mexico Lobos but did not sign in the fall.  I think some teams are missing out on her, but I know I have only seen her this one time.  I was also impressed with Central's freshman guard, Lauryn Pendleton - 5' 9" guard, who was very good defensively and handles the ball extremely well - did not see any mistakes from her but do not know if she scored much.
As far as Fayetteville goes, they do not have any depth as Central took control with Fayetteville's top performers on the bench either due to foul trouble or resting.  Both Goforth and especially Beck look like they have not finished their physical growth.  Fayetteville had way too many turnovers and generally did not handle the ball well at all - especially the last three quarters after Central adjusted at the end of the first quarter.  I did not go back today so this is my report.  Would appreciate any comments on especially Pendleton, Salary, Tucker, and Barnum that anybody is aware of. 

psycHOGlogist

We have offered Salary — before most everyone else, as well.

https://twitter.com/arkansasbanshee/status/857693513563111424

Tucker has been offered and came on an unofficial during the fall. Not sure what the deal was on the kid who did not sign with New Mexico. Had read somewhere (here?) that UNM pulled their offer, but have NO idea whether that's accurate.

Thanks for the outstanding report, LBBBF!

brs_hogfan

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on December 09, 2017, 01:05:24 pm
Would appreciate any comments on especially Pendleton, Salary, Tucker, and Barnum that anybody is aware of.
I was at the games both yesterday and today and can add a few comments. Barnum looked really good yesterday -- much better than she looked in games I saw her in last year. However, I think part of it was that she was playing in a mismatch by Fayetteville choosing to have Jasmine Franklin guard her. Franklin is a very good post but doesn't have the footwork and speed to guard someone like Barnum on the perimeter. I kept expecting Fayetteville to switch Goforth onto Barnum because Goforth has the length to match up (6'1" to Barnum's 6'2") and is quicker. But they did not switch and Barnum continued to dominate. Salary is getting better and better. She has always had speed and athleticism but now she is also becoming a very good shooter. N. Little Rock has far more depth than any other team in the state so it was no surprise they won the tournament defeating Central today. However, the 3rd place game today between Fayetteville and Jonesboro was really interesting because it featured four sophomores offered by the Hogs (Goforth and Beck for Fayetteville vs  Eaton and Salary for Jonesboro). Beck did not have a very good game today but the other three impressed. Fayetteville won on 28 pts by Goforth including 7 out of 8 from deep. Eaton was the leading scorer for Jonesboro with 13. If the hogs signed these four athletes and added a couple of bigs, that would be a really fun team to watch!

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: brs_hogfan on December 09, 2017, 07:10:58 pm
I was at the games both yesterday and today and can add a few comments. Barnum looked really good yesterday -- much better than she looked in games I saw her in last year. However, I think part of it was that she was playing in a mismatch by Fayetteville choosing to have Jasmine Franklin guard her. Franklin is a very good post but doesn't have the footwork and speed to guard someone like Barnum on the perimeter. I kept expecting Fayetteville to switch Goforth onto Barnum because Goforth has the length to match up (6'1" to Barnum's 6'2") and is quicker. But they did not switch and Barnum continued to dominate. Salary is getting better and better. She has always had speed and athleticism but now she is also becoming a very good shooter. N. Little Rock has far more depth than any other team in the state so it was no surprise they won the tournament defeating Central today. However, the 3rd place game today between Fayetteville and Jonesboro was really interesting because it featured four sophomores offered by the Hogs (Goforth and Beck for Fayetteville vs  Eaton and Salary for Jonesboro). Beck did not have a very good game today but the other three impressed. Fayetteville won on 28 pts by Goforth including 7 out of 8 from deep. Eaton was the leading scorer for Jonesboro with 13. If the hogs signed these four athletes and added a couple of bigs, that would be a really fun team to watch!
Thanks for the update.  I did notice Franklin guarding Barnum and wondered about it.

LadybackBBFan

Coach Goldwire is in New York.  Coach has said that they can recruit the big apple as their is a direct flight from XNA to NY.  Happy Hog Hunting!  Bring us a Christmas Present.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on December 13, 2017, 08:21:55 am
Coach Goldwire is in New York.  Coach has said that they can recruit the big apple as their is a direct flight from XNA to NY.  Happy Hog Hunting!  Bring us a Christmas Present.

We have gotten a few men's basketball players from the concrete jungles before, even one as I recall from New York in the past.  It might take a bit of adjusting, but come breath the free air, and touch the grass, see cows in a way you dont at McDonalds!

LadybackBBFan

Coach was in Minnesota last night to watch Destinee Oberg.  Continues to show how much we want this player who is committed.

LDLBFN

I'm from New Mexico and googled one of the players mentioned in another thread, Stephanie Soares, to see if I could see anything quick on where her interests are.  The google led me to this forum and thought I'd sign up.  Looks like some good wbball talk.  Something New Mexico also needs is a bigger post player.   The other thread brought up her sister Jessica and that the family are missionaries.  Jessica is attending and playing at The Masters College, a Christian university in California.  I have wondered if Stephanie would follow out there or if possibly somewhere like Liberty or ORU has an advantage.  Another fairly high rated post that is waiting until the spring signing period to make a decision is Brittany Garner.

This thread noticed Erynn Barnum brought up.  Here have not heard if offer was pulled or she decided to look elsewhere.  The only thing I have personally seen were a couple tweets that said she re-opened her recruitment.  Some of you there in Arkansas might have heard something more.

If any on here are interested in checking out a New Mexico board with some wbball talk, here is a link
http://thelobolair.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: LDLBFN on December 18, 2017, 11:39:16 pm
I'm from New Mexico and googled one of the players mentioned in another thread, Stephanie Soares, to see if I could see anything quick on where her interests are.  The google led me to this forum and thought I'd sign up.  Looks like some good wbball talk.  Something New Mexico also needs is a bigger post player.   The other thread brought up her sister Jessica and that the family are missionaries.  Jessica is attending and playing at The Masters College, a Christian university in California.  I have wondered if Stephanie would follow out there or if possibly somewhere like Liberty or ORU has an advantage.  Another fairly high rated post that is waiting until the spring signing period to make a decision is Brittany Garner.

This thread noticed Erynn Barnum brought up.  Here have not heard if offer was pulled or she decided to look elsewhere.  The only thing I have personally seen were a couple tweets that said she re-opened her recruitment.  Some of you there in Arkansas might have heard something more.

If any on here are interested in checking out a New Mexico board with some wbball talk, here is a link
http://thelobolair.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Thank you for your interest.  I am told that Stephanie Soares will be going to a Christina University - she has not decided which one.  I do not know anything about Erynn Barnum.

Birminghog

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 13, 2017, 08:42:33 am
We have gotten a few men's basketball players from the concrete jungles before, even one as I recall from New York in the past.  It might take a bit of adjusting, but come breath the free air, and touch the grass, see cows in a way you dont at McDonalds!

The most profound lyric in "Somewhere" from "West Side Story" is "Peace and quiet and open air wait for us somewhere." https://youtu.be/_SQ4ogstDVE?t=30s

Could make a difference?

rolyat_2008

Barnum now a Hog commit joining Doumbia in the 2018 class

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on March 18, 2018, 04:44:00 am
Barnum now a Hog commit joining Doumbia in the 2018 class
Who is Barnum?  Need more information.

LadybackBBFan

Never mind I got my answer.  Good commitment.  I saw her play in December - I was impressed.

flippinhogmana

March 18, 2018, 12:40:40 pm #28 Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 12:58:50 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: LadybackBBFan on March 18, 2018, 08:02:38 am
Never mind I got my answer.  Good commitment.  I saw her play in December - I was impressed.

She plays post with her Little Rock team (and they are one of the few who stuck it to Fayetteville) but she is listed as a Wing and has that skill set (she hits threes with regularity, runs the floor like a wing).  Still she plays tough inside, has good shot blocking skills.  But against big post players I doubt she can hold her own, too slender and still just 6-2.  Still I welcome her whole-heartedly.

LadybackBBFan

I just hope she is ready to play the 4 and battle on the board.  That is where my main concern is next year.  She certainly can handle the ball.  I saw her play against Fayetteville in December and she made them look bad  - especially her center who is going to Missouri State, but she did that from out on the floor which is ideal for what we need.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on March 18, 2018, 04:36:52 pm
I just hope she is ready to play the 4 and battle on the board.  That is where my main concern is next year.  She certainly can handle the ball.  I saw her play against Fayetteville in December and she made them look bad  - especially her center who is going to Missouri State, but she did that from out on the floor which is ideal for what we need.

I think she fits in nicely at the four, but that doesnt answer the deficit we have at the five spot against quality teams with a quality five.  Williams will battle offensively, but she gives up too much length and size generally against quality post players to be effective on the defensive end.

I think with Gaulden and Dungee, none of our starters play as many minutes, so perhaps we can go harder next year that we were able to this year without wearing down.  But you have to have enough size inside to at least slow down the opponents inside players, even with trading twos for threes (or you better shoot a lot higher percentage than we did this year, get a lot more turnovers or something).

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 18, 2018, 07:26:56 pm
I think she fits in nicely at the four, but that doesnt answer the deficit we have at the five spot against quality teams with a quality five.  Williams will battle offensively, but she gives up too much length and size generally against quality post players to be effective on the defensive end.

I think with Gaulden and Dungee, none of our starters play as many minutes, so perhaps we can go harder next year that we were able to this year without wearing down.  But you have to have enough size inside to at least slow down the opponents inside players, even with trading twos for threes (or you better shoot a lot higher percentage than we did this year, get a lot more turnovers or something).
I agree with you to be a top tier team.  However, Florida Gulf Coast handled Missouri without a player over 6' tall.  It has a lot to do with talent, defensive effort and rebounding which they proved.

redleg

So who are the Lady 'Backs commits for 2018 and 2019?
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: redleg on March 19, 2018, 07:58:02 am
So who are the Lady 'Backs commits for 2018 and 2019?

Roukia Doumbia, 5'8"-5'9" slashing guard, from Mali but plays at IMG in Florida; top 100 kid on both Prospects Nation and ESPN.

Erynn Barnum, 6'2" F from LR Central. Had been committed to New Mexico but opened it up in the fall.

Destinee Oberg - 6'2"-6'3" post from Minnesota, athletic for a big, nice touch on her shot, Prospects Nation top 25 player.

Ginger Reece - 5'11" wing from Oklahoma, big aggressive kid who can score, PN top 100 kid.

Makayla Daniels - 5'7" PG from Maryland, led her team to two consecutive state championships. PN watch list, which I suspect she may move up.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on March 19, 2018, 07:51:38 am
  I agree with you to be a top tier team.  However, Florida Gulf Coast handled Missouri without a player over 6' tall.  It has a lot to do with talent, defensive effort and rebounding which they proved.

I loved watching that game. The other thing that happened, it seemed to me, is that there was an officiating crew who was not afraid to call fouls on Mizzou. They are a chippy, if not downright dirty, team, and that crew did not let them get away with it like so many SEC crews did this season. Porter and Frericks both fouled out, and Cunningham, Green, and Aldridge all had 4.

It also didn't hurt that FGCU shot 49% from the floor, and 40% from 3!! Loved it!

pigroots

Arkansas has found them a coach that is going to build an excellent program. When that is in place the rest will come together. Good job CMN