Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Delino DeShields, Jr. Hit in the Face with 90 m.p.h. Fastball

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, April 20, 2014, 07:41:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Suffered a broken cheekbone.

Lucky to be alive, IMO.

How long before we see face protection for batters/pitchers?

[attachment deleted by admin]
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Rocky&Boarwinkle

The swelling makes it look like his smiling.  Maybe he is because of the drugs he must be on for the pain.

Don't know how or when they will get faceguards.  Even an extended protector from the earhole forward and down would be an improvement.  Think of half a Magneto helmet or such.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

jrulz83

Getting hit is just part of the game, but face and head protection will happen. The negative attention that occurs every time somebody gets hit is going to force it.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 20, 2014, 09:05:53 pm
Getting hit is just part of the game, but face and head protection will happen. The negative attention that occurs every time somebody gets hit is going to force it.

I think pitchers need head/face protection and that should be a priority.  They are so vulnerable after their delivery, and the ball is traveling so much faster.   

Many batters have worn that face extension, I don't know why they don't just add that or design one and just make it mandatory.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

jrulz83

Quote from: Notshavin on April 20, 2014, 09:19:26 pm
I think pitchers need head/face protection and that should be a priority.  They are so vulnerable after their delivery, and the ball is traveling so much faster.   

Many batters have worn that face extension, I don't know why they don't just add that or design one and just make it mandatory.

Because it's baseball and the wheels of change always turn slowly in the MLB. I would think the owner's would be pushing it though.

cosmodrum

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 20, 2014, 09:05:53 pm

And it should. It could kill a guy. The arms on pitchers these days are crazy. I'm a baseball purist, but the batter needs facial protection.
Go away, batin'

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on April 20, 2014, 07:57:45 pm
The swelling makes it look like his smiling.  Maybe he is because of the drugs he must be on for the pain.

Don't know how or when they will get faceguards.  Even an extended protector from the earhole forward and down would be an improvement.  Think of half a Magneto helmet or such.
Jason Heyward has been wearing something like you described this season after he got hit in the jaw last season.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

ucahogfan

Quote from: Notshavin on April 20, 2014, 09:19:26 pm

They came up with a new hat for pitchers to wear that would provide better protection, but pitchers didn't like it because of the fit compared to a normal hat.  It is going to take time to find a safe alternative that pitchers will wear because it is very similar in feel to a normal hat.

jrulz83

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 21, 2014, 12:01:28 am
And it should. It could kill a guy. The arms on pitchers these days are crazy. I'm a baseball purist, but the batter needs facial protection.

And the batter already has it if he wants it. It is going to be a slow process to get players to change. If you'll recall the base coaches didn't start wearing helmets until somebody got killed and even then there was some complaining about having to wear a helmet. In 1920 shortstop Ray Chapman got hit in the head with a pitch and died, but batting helmets didn't become a rule until 1971. That's just the way baseball is, it changes slowly.

My thing is where do we stop with forcing safety? I know somebody that suffered a severely broken ankle covering second base in a game, he still has a limp from it 15 years later, do we stop players from going hard into second base to break up the double play? There have been injuries occur by players running into walls, let's do away with the walls, just have a line all the way around the field. Do we throw pitchers out of the game that are "effectively" wild? What about Vince "The Firecracker" Coleman and the injury he suffered because of the tarp? No more tarps on the field. There have been collisions at first base, let's go to those double first bases like they use in softball. John Smoltz burned himself while ironing his shirt. No more irons for players. Well, he did try to iron it while he was still wearing it....

I'm all for player safety, but let's be careful about where it can take us and the ways that it could change the game.

cosmodrum

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 21, 2014, 11:17:30 am
And the batter already has it if he wants it. It is going to be a slow process to get players to change. If you'll recall the base coaches didn't start wearing helmets until somebody got killed and even then there was some complaining about having to wear a helmet. In 1920 shortstop Ray Chapman got hit in the head with a pitch and died, but batting helmets didn't become a rule until 1971. That's just the way baseball is, it changes slowly.

My thing where do we stop with forcing safety? I know somebody that suffered a severely broken ankle covering second base in a game, he still has a limp from it 15 years later, do we stop players from going hard into second base to break up the double play? There have been injuries occur by players running into walls, let's do away with the walls, just have a line all the way around the field. Do we throw pitchers out of the game that are "effectively" wild? What about Vince "The Firecracker" Coleman and the injury he suffered because of the tarp? No more tarps on the field. There have been collisions at first base, let's go to those double first bases like they use in softball. John Smoltz burned himself while ironing his shirt. No more irons for players. Well, he did try to iron it while he was still wearing it....

I'm all for player safety, but let's be careful about where it can take us and the ways that it could change the game.

Breaking an and getting hit in the cheek with a 95 mph fastball are two completely different things. A face guard isn't going to change the game. It's a common sense move. I agree that we can't make the game 100% safe and trying to do that would alter the game negatively, but this wouldn't.
Go away, batin'

The Boar War

Had no idea DeShields had a kid that was old enough to play professionally.

jrulz83

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 21, 2014, 11:32:16 am
Breaking an and getting hit in the cheek with a 95 mph fastball are two completely different things. A face guard isn't going to change the game. It's a common sense move. I agree that we can't make the game 100% safe and trying to do that would alter the game negatively, but this wouldn't.

Here is a question, how many players have been hit in the face by 95 mph fastballs? Out of how many thousands, perhaps millions of MLB pitches does this happen? It's very rare, and if teams would allow pitchers to have time to develop and learn control it would happen with even less frequency. I just don't think it should be mandatory, it should be, like it already is, player's choice.

cosmodrum

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 21, 2014, 11:51:15 am
Here is a question, how many players have been hit in the face by 95 mph fastballs? Out of how many thousands, perhaps millions of MLB pitches does this happen? It's very rare, and if teams would allow pitchers to have time to develop and learn control it would happen with even less frequency. I just don't think it should be mandatory, it should be, like it already is, player's choice.

Just as in the instance with the 3rd/1st base coach that got killed, all it takes is one really bad incident. I guess this is just an easy fix, to me.
Go away, batin'

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: The Boar War on April 21, 2014, 11:46:29 am
Had no idea DeShields had a kid that was old enough to play professionally.
I think he also has a daughter that plays basketball somewhere as well.
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

ucahogfan

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on April 21, 2014, 06:46:35 pm
I think he also has a daughter that plays basketball somewhere as well.
Diamond DeShields who was a starter as a freshman for a UNC team that made the Elite 8.  Pretty sure she is transferring though, but don't know where.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 21, 2014, 07:59:17 pm
Diamond DeShields who was a starter as a freshman for a UNC team that made the Elite 8.  Pretty sure she is transferring though, but don't know where.
Thanks. Couldn't couldn't remember what team she played for. Maybe Jimmy Dykes needs to give here a call.

dhornjr1

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 21, 2014, 11:56:36 am
Just as in the instance with the 3rd/1st base coach that got killed, all it takes is one really bad incident.

And Mike Coolbaugh wasn't even hit in the head by the line drive that killed him. He was hit in the neck. No helmet would have prevented that.

cosmodrum

Quote from: dhornjr1 on April 22, 2014, 05:31:17 am
And Mike Coolbaugh wasn't even hit in the head by the line drive that killed him. He was hit in the neck. No helmet would have prevented that.

Oh, thought it was the head. Either way, that was a real bad deal.
Go away, batin'

dhornjr1

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 22, 2014, 02:21:38 pm
Oh, thought it was the head. Either way, that was a real bad deal.

Yeah, basically the ball hit him in the neck and severed his brain from his spinal column.

Quote from: dhornjr1 on April 23, 2014, 11:28:08 am
Yeah, basically the ball hit him in the neck and severed his brain from his spinal column.

ugh...that's awful.  Kind of what happened to Christopher Reeve also.  They reattached it..

dhornjr1

Quote from: Notshavin on April 23, 2014, 07:43:06 pm
ugh...that's awful.  Kind of what happened to Christopher Reeve also.  They reattached it..

I think the medical examiner said he probably never even knew what happened. He heard the crack of the bat and that was it.

cosmodrum

Quote from: dhornjr1 on April 24, 2014, 11:22:34 am
I think the medical examiner said he probably never even knew what happened. He heard the crack of the bat and that was it.

Don't mean this to sound insensitive, but if ya gotta go, that's they way I'd want it.
Go away, batin'

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 24, 2014, 01:36:03 pm
Don't mean this to sound insensitive, but if ya gotta go, that's they way I'd want it.

I can think of many worse ways to go...

dhornjr1

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 24, 2014, 01:36:03 pm

I've wondered about that myself. Would I rather not know it when it happened or would I rather slowly die and get a chance to tell my wife and kids that I love them one last time?

Quote from: dhornjr1 on April 25, 2014, 12:22:08 am
I've wondered about that myself. Would I rather not know it when it happened or would I rather slowly die and get a chance to tell my wife and kids that I love them one last time?

Well, now this thread sure has become an uplifting one!

dhornjr1

Quote from: Notshavin on April 25, 2014, 12:25:22 am
Well, now this thread sure has become an uplifting one!

LOL

It's difficult to be cheerful when talking about this kind of stuff.

Quote from: dhornjr1 on April 25, 2014, 12:28:34 am
LOL

It's difficult to be cheerful when talking about this kind of stuff.

This reminds me of the "What's the least amount of $ you would take scenarios" we would have - I think we did some on here.

One would be, what's the least amount of $ you would take to stand in the batter's box against Randy Johnson in his prime, who has been told to bean you....and you aren't allowed to move.

?

Hogwop

Quote from: Notshavin on April 25, 2014, 12:36:51 am
This reminds me of the "What's the least amount of $ you would take scenarios" we would have - I think we did some on here.

One would be, what's the least amount of $ you would take to stand in the batter's box against Randy Johnson in his prime, who has been told to bean you....and you aren't allowed to move.

?

Anything less than his salary, at his prime, or I walk
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Notshavin on April 25, 2014, 12:36:51 am

?

Do I get a helmet and one of those Jason Heyward face flap things and the Barry Bonds body armor?

dhornjr1

Quote from: Hogwop on April 25, 2014, 12:48:33 am

The most he made in any one season was $16 million.

Hogwop

Quote from: dhornjr1 on April 25, 2014, 01:03:56 am
Do I get a helmet and one of those Jason Heyward face flap things and the Barry Bonds body armor?

No dice. Undershirt and boxer shorts, that's it
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.

dhornjr1

Hogwop

Pigga what?!

dhornjr1

Hogwop

Wait. We're talking about being beaned in the FACE? Yeah, I'm with you then
Pigga what?!

Quote from: dhornjr1 on April 25, 2014, 01:03:56 am

Yes, but most of us would never know until we got hit.  If he hit you in the kidneys or so many places, you're done..

Quote from: Hogwop on April 25, 2014, 12:48:33 am

I'd have to have $5 million to leave for my son bc I would probably die or be a vegetable.

Quote from: Hogwop on April 25, 2014, 01:09:21 am
No dice. Undershirt and boxer shorts, that's it

LOL, now it's getting interesting.  Just a sock a la Red Hot Chili Peppers...and a mini-bat.

And right before he pitches you have to yell out, "Nice mullet, pretty boy"

Hogwop

Quote from: Notshavin on April 25, 2014, 01:54:29 am
Yes, but most of us would never know until we got hit.  If he hit you in the kidneys or so many places, you're done..

I'd have to have $5 million to leave for my son bc I would probably die or be a vegetable.

LOL, now it's getting interesting.  Just a sock a la Red Hot Chili Peppers...and a mini-bat.

And right before he pitches you have to yell out, "Nice mullet, pretty boy"

I lold. Do you really have to piss him off first? He could do plenty of damage without that

Pigga what?!

Quote from: Hogwop on April 25, 2014, 02:04:32 am
I lold. Do you really have to piss him off first? He could do plenty of damage without that

I remember that.  Just imagine that being your kneecap. 

Hogwop

Quote from: Notshavin on April 25, 2014, 02:55:27 am
I remember that.  Just imagine that being your kneecap.

No thanks, I like being able to walk
Pigga what?!

dhornjr1

Quote from: Notshavin on April 25, 2014, 01:54:29 am

That's why I want all that protection. I know I'll never even see the ball.

Ray Piggers

If I was told to pull a Dorn vs. RJ I'd do it. No face. Middle of my back? Hell yeah
I'm basically Darkwing Duck