Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching staff continuity

Started by twistitup, March 06, 2018, 09:00:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

I hope CCM can keep a staff together - that is the key to player development as I see it. Continuity of staff and consistency of scheme seems to be a logical approach to get consistent improvement.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Snout team

Agreed.   Players having to learn a new scheme and new expectations every year stunts development in a major way.  I believe it is one of the main reasons BB failed here. 
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

ChicoHog

Caldwell, Chavis and Cooper probably aren't going anywhere as they are on the downside of their career.  Some of the younger offensive guys may get better opportunities if we improve.  Hard to say. 

PorkRinds

It happens in big time college football. Be prepared to be dissatisfied.

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 06, 2018, 09:13:11 am
It happens in big time college football. Be prepared to be dissatisfied.

Maybe he finds a way to develop a little loyalty- continuity and loyalty go hand in hand. Haven't some of those young guys have come w him from Clemson? Maybe they are close and want to build a true program here - not just use us as a springboard

Al Boarland

Quote from: twistitup on March 06, 2018, 09:17:10 am
Maybe he finds a way to develop a little loyalty- continuity and loyalty go hand in hand. Haven't some of those young guys have come w him from Clemson? Maybe they are close and want to build a true program here - not just use us as a springboard

Realistically they probably want to forward their careers like 99% of people in the work force.

twistitup

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 06, 2018, 09:30:10 am
Realistically they probably want to forward their careers like 99% of people in the work force.

Sure, I just hope they stick around to build a solid program. I don't mind if they leave after that...

I just don't want another carousel like we had with our previous coach, it hampered player development.

311Hog

if they stick around for 3 years that would be a massive win.  I feel like CBB was turning over major positions on a year to year basis..

If this current group gets 3 solid years of stability i think we will definitely like the results.

jusgtohogs

more focused on the hope that the staff he has hired are up to the challenge.  I'm not ready to bet the farm on results being good enough to get a lot of attention in the first year.  If they are, you gotta be pleased.  But, if they are, you can expect other programs to come calling for assistants.  And, frankly, that's what you want.  If no one else wants your assistants, why should you want them?

twistitup

Quote from: jusgtohogs on March 06, 2018, 11:24:25 am
  And, frankly, that's what you want.  If no one else wants your assistants, why should you want them?

You actually want to keep some sort of consistency on the staff....do you want a staff like CBB had?

Hopefully we now have a coach that assistants WANT to work for.

Steef

Unless we somehow win the Natty this season, no one will 'come calling' for our staff after just one year.

311Hog

Quote from: Steef on March 06, 2018, 11:33:33 am
Unless we somehow win the Natty this season, no one will 'come calling' for our staff after just one year.

we didn't win crap under CBB yet his assistants still found ways off the staff.

twistitup

Nobody has to necessarily 'come calling' - our previous coach lost people because they didn't want to work for him. Hopefully everybody gets along and this staff gels....I looking forward to seeing what they can do in year 2-3

This coming fall will be fun, but it won't tell the tale

Steef

Quote from: 311Hog on March 06, 2018, 11:37:56 am
we didn't win crap under CBB yet his assistants still found ways off the staff.

There's a difference between being courted for a job and going and looking for one.

hoghearted

If the assistants get offers, it means we have noticeably improved. I'm fine with that.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on March 06, 2018, 11:38:15 am
Nobody has to necessarily 'come calling' - our previous coach lost people because they didn't want to work for him. Hopefully everybody gets along and this staff gels....I looking forward to seeing what they can do in year 2-3

This coming fall will be fun, but it won't tell the tale

Yet they mostly left for promotions.

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 06, 2018, 12:34:50 pm
Yet they mostly left for promotions.

Ok....mostly - key word

Fact is, CBB couldn't keep a staff together - and it cost him W's (led to lack of development)

His inability to keep a staff followed him from Wisc...it's was not a money issue - it was CBB

I hope this coach has the ability to retain a quality staff.

jkstock04

Quote from: twistitup on March 06, 2018, 09:00:18 am
I hope CCM can keep a staff together - that is the key to player development as I see it. Continuity of staff and consistency of scheme seems to be a logical approach to get consistent improvement.

Agreed. This may not be the way it is with the rest of the SEC or especially the blue chip programs. But, at a school like Arkansas I think this is a much better recipe for success vs the revolving door Bielema had.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on March 06, 2018, 01:18:56 pm
Ok....mostly - key word

Fact is, CBB couldn't keep a staff together - and it cost him W's (led to lack of development)

His inability to keep a staff followed him from Wisc...it's was not a money issue - it was CBB

The only ones that didn't were fired...

PorkSoda

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 06, 2018, 09:30:10 am
I'd settle for assistants not fleeing like rats on a sinking ship.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 06, 2018, 02:16:43 pm
The only ones that didn't were fired...

So you honestly think his issues w staff turnover were not his fault....it's because his assistants were in high demand?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: twistitup on March 06, 2018, 01:18:56 pm
Ok....mostly - key word

This has GOT to be truth... It was the first complaint he vocalized about Wiscy and bragged that Arkansas would get it done. I guess there was just not enough money to put up with it...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Mjs84

Bama did fine without Kiffin or Smart.  Don't try to play that angle.

twistitup

Quote from: Mjs84 on March 06, 2018, 03:15:11 pm
Bama did fine without Kiffin or Smart.  Don't try to play that angle.

We aren't bama....don't try to play that angle

SquidBilly

I hope we get to the point where other people want to hire our assistants.  Usually it means your doing something right as a program.

Psychohog

Quote from: 311Hog on March 06, 2018, 10:25:49 am
if they stick around for 3 years that would be a massive win.  I feel like CBB was turning over major positions on a year to year basis..

If this current group gets 3 solid years of stability i think we will definitely like the results.
I recall Frank Broyles being quoted as saying to prospective assistants that he was trying to hire, "Give me the best 3 years of your life and I'll make you a head coach."
Never smarten up a chump.