Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA:Return teams could be allowed to fair catch kicks, start ensuing drive @ 25

Started by jbcarol, March 02, 2018, 08:29:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

NCAA Football
‏Verified account @NCAAFootball

NCAA Football Rules Committee proposes altering kickoff rules to allow the receiving team to fair catch the kick inside the 25-yard line and have it result in a touchback: http://on.ncaa.com/2CVcz7k

QuoteNCAA Football Rules Committee on Friday proposed altering the game's kickoff rules to allow the receiving team to fair catch the kick inside the 25-yard line and have it result in a touchback.

The committee made the proposal to address player safety on the kickoff and to address tactics that attempt to pin the receiving team close to its goal line. All other aspects of the kickoff play will remain the same.

The proposal is the latest in a series of changes the committee has made in recent years in hopes of making the play safer. Before the 2012 season, kickoffs were moved from the 30-yard line to the 35. The committee also changed the starting position on touchbacks that year so that the receiving team started its drive on the 25-yard line instead of the 20.

"The committee discussed the kickoff play at great length and we will continue to work to find ways to improve the play," said Larry Fedora, chair of the committee and head coach at North Carolina. "We believe making one change will allow us to study the effect of this change in terms of player safety."

All rules recommendations must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which is scheduled to discuss the football proposals via conference call April 13.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jgphillips3

Well, considering that their plan to make them safer by putting the ball at the 25 completely backfired, I guess I can see this but not sure it's really needed.

jbcarol

SEC Country Arkansas
‏ @SECCountryHogs

Arkansas coach Chad Morris weighs in on NCAA's proposed new rule for kickoffs, touchbacks  #WPS http://sec.news/2F787UJ
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Dark Helmet Hog

presidenthog

Quote from: jbcarol on March 02, 2018, 08:29:47 pm
NCAA Football

NCAA Football Rules Committee proposes altering kickoff rules to allow the receiving team to fair catch the kick inside the 25-yard line and have it result in a touchback: http://on.ncaa.com/2CVcz7k

Lol this would destroy the kickoff plan we grew to know as Bert ball (like money ball but fat and terrible)

Poaching to the 5 and hoping we tackle them.

LRRandy

Might as well just eliminate kicking off and give the team the ball at the 25. I don't like the thought of that but it would shave a little time off the length of a game by not going through the motions of lining up to kick off.
This is fun, isn't it.

Smalltownhog95

STOP FIXING WHAT AINT BROKE NCAA. If they focused on cracking down rules violations like they did rule changes the FBI wouldn't be investigating them.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

AHiD

Quote from: presidenthog on March 02, 2018, 11:03:17 pm
Lol this would destroy the kickoff plan we grew to know as Bert ball (like money ball but fat and terrible)

Poaching to the 5 and hoping we tackle them.

You do realize that it's actually a good strategy, it's just that our players were soft. Bill Belichick does the same thing.
My name...is Jerruh

nwahogfan1

I wonder if the rule is adopted if more teams will kick the ball hard on the ground forcing teams to fall on the ball or return it?

jgphillips3

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 03, 2018, 11:06:12 am
I wonder if the rule is adopted if more teams will kick the ball hard on the ground forcing teams to fall on the ball or return it?

Bingo.  Rules are meant to be bent.  Whatever loophole you leave, coaches will find it.

99toLife

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 03, 2018, 11:06:12 am

I have little doubt many will do that.

tophawg19

if they wanted to do something for safety , the on side kick is the most dangerous play out there
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

99toLife

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 03, 2018, 01:45:23 pm
if they wanted to do something for safety , the on side kick is the most dangerous play out there

How so? Never heard that before.

Hogtimes

Quote from: LRRandy on March 02, 2018, 11:28:24 pm
Might as well just eliminate kicking off and give the team the ball at the 25. I don't like the thought of that but it would shave a little time off the length of a game by not going through the motions of lining up to kick off.

Yeah, I think that would be the best thing to do, considering injuries and how long it takes to line up and do the kickoff.   Also, it would reduce the amount of practice time players and coaches  have to spend practicing kickoffs.   Trying to find enough personnel to field a kickoff team and a return team  with the reduced scholarship limits is also a chore.

jimmur74

Rusm? Eliminate returns. My Gosh. How about we turn the game in to powder puff? Hows that?

Quote from: jbcarol on March 02, 2018, 08:29:47 pm
NCAA Football

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: LRRandy on March 02, 2018, 11:28:24 pm

Seems this is exactly where they are headed.....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Sweet Feet