Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Matt Jones was the QB in 2006, do the hogs win the title?

Started by Sweet Feet, February 28, 2018, 06:09:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

With Jones at QB along with McFadden/Jones/Hillis and Monk, along with Gus's offensive scheme, would Arkansas have beaten LSU and Florida and won a national title?

PorkSoda

can we give him childs, wright, and adams to throw to while we are at it?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 28, 2018, 06:09:27 pm
With Jones at QB along with McFadden/Jones/Hillis and Monk, along with Gus's offensive scheme, would Arkansas have beaten LSU and Florida and won a national title?

No, all games would have been forfeited since Jones had no eligibility left.

Dark Helmet Hog

Dark Helmet Hog

elksnort

Athog

Probably not!

carolinahogger

Probably, if all the games had been played in Little Rock.

sickboy

I tell you what. I'd pay all my cheeseburgers to see Petrino coach that team. Heck, Jones would have probably been a Heisman favorite if Petrino coached him.

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Bubba's Bruisers

Nutt couldn't solve Wisconsin.  He sure wasn't going to solve tOSU.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HOGINTENNESSEE

WBOBO

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 28, 2018, 07:28:20 pm
No. Unless Matt Jones improved his fumbling issues

This and Nutt are 2 reasons we would not have won. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hoghearted

Quote from: sickboy on February 28, 2018, 07:05:55 pm
I tell you what. I'd pay all my cheeseburgers to see Petrino coach that team. Heck, Jones would have probably been a Heisman favorite if Petrino coached him.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

AHiD

The real question is should we have fired Nutt after an 8-4 season?
My name...is Jerruh

B Ray

Would we have won the championship if Nutt wasn't the coach !!!!

rogersvillemohog

Would we have won a National Championship in 2013 if we had Tyler Wilson at QB, DMac and Felix at RB, Lucas, Childs, and Wright at WR, Bequette at DE, and Atwater at Safety?
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Mo_Better_Hogs

We'd need a pass-first quarterback to go with that backfield. We had the ground game covered.

WBOBO

Not to change the subject too much from the OP but how would we do with Matt Jones barking the signals next year?
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Thatdudeman

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on February 28, 2018, 10:21:26 pm
We'd need a pass-first quarterback to go with that backfield. We had the ground game covered.

This. Anybody to keep the defense from just stuffing the box

sickboy

Quote from: WBOBO on February 28, 2018, 10:34:51 pm
Not to change the subject too much from the OP but how would we do with Matt Jones barking the signals next year?

Depends. Would he dress like a dog too or just bark like a dog?

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Thatdudeman on March 01, 2018, 12:34:39 am
This. Anybody to keep the defense from just stuffing the box

Agree...in 2007, when Casey Dick lost Marcus Monk (his most reliable target), our passing game was destined to suffer. If we'd had any vertical threat, we probably would have won the West again, and McFadden might have put up numbers that not even Tebow lovers could ignore in the Heisman voting.

So back to the main topic, not sure the best running quarterback we've ever seen would have helped that situation.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Dumb ole famrboy

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 01, 2018, 01:41:21 am
Agree...in 2007, when Casey Dick lost Marcus Monk (his most reliable target), our passing game was destined to suffer. If we'd had any vertical threat, we probably would have won the West again, and McFadden might have put up numbers that not even Tebow lovers could ignore in the Heisman voting.

So back to the main topic, not sure the best running quarterback we've ever seen would have helped that situation.
But he may have helped out as a 2nd vertical threat.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: sickboy on February 28, 2018, 07:05:55 pm

I agree It would have been plumb scary.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hvsupastar

Its pretty crazy to think that we were 4 years bad luck from having McFadden Jones Mallett  Adams and the Warren 3
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Mike Irwin

Probably not. As talented as Jones was periodically he just didn't come onto the field motivated to play. My theory has always been that he was somewhat bored with football. Basketball was his sport of choice. He simply wasn't as talented in hoops as he was in football.

Some keep telling me that he squandered his football career. People who know him say he's a well adjusted adult with no regrets. He was never about making a pile of money.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 28, 2018, 06:11:50 pm

Good point.  I really don't like these hypothetical questions......
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

John Futrall

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on March 01, 2018, 03:40:19 pm
Good point.  I really don't like these hypothetical questions......

But what if our coach had been.....Ditka?

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 01, 2018, 02:30:26 pm
Probably not. As talented as Jones was periodically he just didn't come onto the field motivated to play. My theory has always been that he was somewhat bored with football. Basketball was his sport of choice. He simply wasn't as talented in hoops as he was in football.

This is one of the things that makes Matt so fascinating at least, to many of us that would give a gonad to have half the talent he had. 

I was a huge Jones fan from the time I saw him (in the Weber State game that was the "make up" game for N. Texas - which got cancelled after the 9/11 attack) streak down the sideline on a 60-65 yard TD run in mop-up time.  I was mesmerized by a guy his size running the way (and as fast as) he did.  Never got tired of watching him play.

Side quasi-related story.  Best run I ever saw Matt make was in a spring practice.  I had come up one weekend when the Baseball team was playing a home SEC series.  It was during spring ball, but it was not a weekend they were having a major scrimmage - just a practice.  So I went to DWRRS and sat down around midfield (HDN didn't close the spring practices - at least, not at that point). 

After a few periods of misc drills with each group doing their own thing, the coaches put the ball on the 50 and ran a few plays of "good vs. good" - first team offense vs. first team defense.  Back then, we had a pretty good defense - Batman Carroll, Lawrence Richardson, Caleb Miller, Tony Bua, Sam Olajubutu, Jermaine Brooks, Jimmy Beasley, Eddie Jackson, Jermaine Petty, etc.

On the very first play, Matt took the snap on what was a designed pass.  He held the ball for a couple of seconds, and then got some pressure from one of the rushers.  In typical Matt style, he drifted backwards and to the side while continuing to look downfield.  Eventually, he was flushed and had to run.  He came around the left end (nearest to me), then cut on a dime, losing the guy chasing him from behind, and the linebacker closing in from the other side.  Matt continue across the field, eluding one man after another, until he was near the far sideline (and probably about the 25 yardline.  He then cut back the other way, evaded one or two others and zipped into the EZ.  When he got there, he just stopped, dropped the ball and slowly headed back to midfield. 

I know, I know - it loses a LOT in the telling.  You really had to be there; I was stunned.  I have often wished I had the video of that run.  Matt almost literally ran through our entire defense on that one play.  One - or two at a time - they thought they had him cornered, but he just zipped around them as if they were standing still.  I remember a couple of the guys on D just shaking their heads afterward. 

He may have been a head case (or may not have been - how would I know?), but - God - how I enjoyed watching him play.

razortrack

Wow, to mention McFadden, Jones, and Hillis in the same sentence as Monk!

Thatdudeman

Quote from: John Futrall on March 01, 2018, 04:51:14 pm
But what if our coach had been.....Ditka?

Can you trade an entire draft class for one player?

greasy_corner

March 01, 2018, 10:24:16 pm #32 Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:38:18 pm by greasy_corner
Quote from: PorkSoda on February 28, 2018, 06:11:50 pm

nm

greasy_corner

Quote from: razortrack on March 01, 2018, 09:52:00 pm
Wow, to mention McFadden, Jones, and Hillis in the same sentence as Monk!

The OP did it to get a response.  He's good at it....Starting the most asinine threads.     

There was an old poster with the handle "Sweet Kitten Feet" that was an aggie.  I've always assumed this guy was it.   

hawganatic

A running QB would have only had a marginal improvement on that team.  There would have also been no reason to run the McFadden at the Wildcat if we had Jones on the team, which was a big reason that team won like it did.

If we are playing hypotheticals and moving QBs from year to year (which are lame and could go on forever, but I'm bored right now), take Mallett or Wilson and put them on the 2006 team.  That could have been a championship year with one of those two arms and that backfield.

Cotton

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Dark Helmet Hog