Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Andy Kennedy out as Ole Miss basketball coach, effective immediately

Started by jbcarol, February 19, 2018, 07:13:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Less than a week after announcing he would step down at the end of the season, Ole Miss basketball coach Andy Kennedy has moved up that timetable

QuoteKennedy's resignation is now effective immediately, the school announced Sunday. Assistant coach Tony Madlock will direct the Rebels for the final four games of the regular season and in the SEC tournament.

"It has become readily apparent to me that my continued presence as the head coach is proving detrimental to these players finishing the season in a fashion that is representative of The Standard for this program that has been clearly established and maintained for over a decade; therefore, I believe that it is in everyone's best interest that I exit my role as head coach effective immediately," Kennedy said in a statement released by the school. "We all know that 'clean breaks' are always best, and I should have realized this last Monday. My apologies."

Kennedy, who played his college basketball at UAB, announced his pending resignation on Monday. Since then, the Rebels have lost twice by double-digits, 75-64 at home vs. Arkansas and 79-62 at Mississippi State.

Ole Miss is now 11-16 overall and 4-10 in the SEC, standing last in the 14-team conference. The Rebels have games remaining at Missouri on Tuesday, vs. Tennessee on Feb. 24, at Kentucky Feb. 28 and at home vs. Vanderbilt on March 3.

"Andy and I spoke this morning, and I fully support his decision to step away today. While we had hoped to relieve some pressure with last week's announcement, it simply did not work out that way," Ole Miss athletics director Ross Bjork said. "Our student-athletes are the most important aspect of our athletics program, and we must always put them in the best position for success, no matter what. Coach Kennedy will always be remembered as an Ole Miss Rebel, and we wish him the best."

Kennedy is 245-156 in 12 seasons at Ole Miss. The Rebels have won at least 20 games in eight straight seasons, but have not reached the NCAA tournament since 2015.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Kory Keys
‏ @KoryKeys
16h16 hours ago

This guarantees that AK will finish his tenure as the only Ole Miss head coach, since World War II, to finish with a winning record in SEC play.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

SEC Network
‏Verified account @SECNetwork
3h3 hours ago

SEC Now will be LIVE from St. Louis, with Andy Kennedy joining the crew to provide analysis throughout the #SECTourney