Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fayetteville ranked 5th best place to live in the country according to us news

Started by FATHAWG08, February 13, 2018, 09:25:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 01, 2018, 02:18:57 pm
You must have a reading comprehension problem. I haven't pumped it. I've simply stated that the coaches are using it in recruiting and some of the recruits tweeted that they were impressed by it. I only posted that after it was suggested by several in this thread that it would have no or minimal effect on recruiting.

I don't have an opinion on its recruiting value but the coaches apparently do and some of the recruits have reacted positively.

Again it's not about what happens in Iowa. It's about what happening at Arkansas right now with this staff. I don't think anybody is trying to claim that it will dramatically alter Arkansas recruiting. It's simply part of their strategy.

The real issue is a lot of people posting here are so eaten up with this NWA vs wherever else to live debate that anything suggesting that Fayetteville might not suck eggs is jumped on.
Yes in some ways it does smack of some posters having some problem(s) with NWA for whatever reason(s). Although I live in central Arkansas, I have absolutely no particular grievance with the Fayetteville area. Not sure why anyone would.

opineonswine

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 01, 2018, 02:29:30 pm
Yes in some ways it does smack of some posters having some problem(s) with NWA for whatever reason(s). Although I live in central Arkansas, I have absolutely no particular grievance with the Fayetteville area. Not sure why anyone would.

It gets so old.  Thanks to the growth and prosperity of NWA the State has "nicer things" than the past.  I don't get why that creates animosity.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 01, 2018, 02:18:57 pm
You must have a reading comprehension problem. I haven't pumped it. I've simply stated that the coaches are using it in recruiting and some of the recruits tweeted that they were impressed by it. I only posted that after it was suggested by several in this thread that it would have no or minimal effect on recruiting.

I don't have an opinion on its recruiting value but the coaches apparently do and some of the recruits have reacted positively.

Again it's not about what happens in Iowa. It's about what happening at Arkansas right now with this staff. I don't think anybody is trying to claim that it will dramatically alter Arkansas recruiting. It's simply part of their strategy.

The real issue is a lot of people posting here are so eaten up with this NWA vs wherever else to live debate that anything suggesting that Fayetteville might not suck eggs is jumped on.
[/quote

Mike Irwin

And while I live in NWA because that's where my job is I always enjoy traveling to LR for football, basketball and baseball games. I would like to see WMS upgraded but I understand why that would be difficult financially. The same for Verizon Arena.

Dickey Stephens is another story. That's a great place to watch a college baseball game.

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 01, 2018, 02:15:14 pm
Exactly. I would honestly like to know where else some would prefer having the university if NWA is unacceptable.
If we wanted to maximize recruiting, we should probably move it to Georgia.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Karma on March 01, 2018, 02:38:09 pm
If we wanted to maximize recruiting, we should probably move it to Georgia.
While in theory that certainly sounds like a great solution, not convinced the state boundaries are going to be altered anytime in our life times. ;) 8)

AirWarren

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 01, 2018, 01:52:34 pm
I'll give it a rest (or not) when I feel like it. Until you're a mod or a mod steps in to stop my posts I feel free to post and respond how I like just like anyone else. BTW feel free to exercise your freedom to either not read any such comments and/or bother to respond. That will automatically eliminate part of your angst.

Nope.

Grizzlyfan

I love Fayetteville.  Love to visit and might relocate north upon retirement.  Here are the #'s I think are more significant regarding recruiting:

% African American population
Baton Rouge - 55%
Tuscaloosa - 43%
Starkville - 34%
Oxford - 22%
Auburn - 17%
College Station - 8%
Fayetteville - 6%

Pork Twain

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 01, 2018, 08:34:25 am
Doubtless for many kids that's true. And there have already been several posts that point that out. However, it's apparently had some positive impact already. Our first commit (or perhaps his parents) from the upcoming '19 class, Trevis Hopper, mentioned the report during his comments at the time of his decision.
I would say most.  Some posters really want this to matter more than it actually does, seeing as we are on page seven.  Discussing how the best place to live, as judged by older people, translates to a college athlete of any color.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

LZH

My baby girl doesn't think much of the area, either. But when I asked her about the free ride at UF she informed me that I raised her as a Razorback. Done.

AirWarren

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 01, 2018, 04:18:19 pm
I love Fayetteville.  Love to visit and might relocate north upon retirement.  Here are the #'s I think are more significant regarding recruiting:

Baton Rouge - 55%
Tuscaloosa - 43%
Starkville - 34%
Oxford - 22%
Auburn - 17%
College Station - 8%
Fayetteville - 6%

Bingo.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on March 02, 2018, 03:53:45 am
My baby girl doesn't think much of the area, either. But when I asked her about the free ride at UF she informed me that I raised her as a Razorback. Done.

Sounds like it's the snobby attitude of South Arkansans that's the problem......

Dark Helmet Hog

Unfortunately, it is a very real issue and its been around for a while. It really comes out in state politics. NWA has a heck of a time getting the proper funding for infrastructure projects. The rest of the state acts like the streets are paved with gold up here.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 01, 2018, 04:18:19 pm

Baton Rouge - 55%
Tuscaloosa - 43%
Starkville - 34%
Oxford - 22%
Auburn - 17%
College Station - 8%
Fayetteville - 6%

According to this LSU should field a NC team at least every other year....   also you forgot that Baton Rouge does have Jimmy Swaggart too!(an additional  entertainment venue)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hawgon

I've been saying since the Nutt years that we really needed a staff to send out materials showing the consistently high rankings of the region in livability and how good the job market is there.  How many times over the years have we heard recruits say after a visit, "Wow, it was a lot nicer up there than I expected."

Right or wrong Arkansas as a state has a reputation and it isn't a good one.  Showing these kids what is up there is just smart.  The problem with Arkansas recruiting IS NOT just one of getting big time recruits it is MAINLY one of just getting them to even visit.  Once they do that, we stand a much better chance of getting them because the area is so nice.

And it isn't just football.  There is this attitude about Arkansas.  I have a friend who just got a job in NWA that he could not turn down.  In the meantime until the new school year his wife is going to stay in DFW with the kids.  But I swear she is practically hoping that it doesn't work out for him so that she doesn't have to move to Arkansas.  My friend is confident that once he gets her there for a visit in a few weeks that her tune will change, but the whole Arkansas thing is definitely something she has to get over.  I think we experience a lot of that in recruiting.

So, anything that will provide just a little extra push to even get a kid to visit should absolutely be pushed to the maximum.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: DLUXHOG on March 02, 2018, 08:12:42 am
According to this LSU should field a NC team at least every other year....   also you forgot that Baton Rouge does have Jimmy Swaggart too!(an additional  entertainment venue)
Well, LSU had the #4 recruiting ranking for 2013-2017.  Arkansas was #25.  I guess you have to do something with the players once you get them to campus.  But they have recruited well.