Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fayetteville ranked 5th best place to live in the country according to us news

Started by FATHAWG08, February 13, 2018, 09:25:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 16, 2018, 01:23:31 pm
This thread went off the rails in the first two or three posts. Some of you seem to take personal the suggestion that a recruit might pick Arkansas because he makes a visit and likes the area. Who gives a crap. If it happens great. If it's not a factor with other recruits so what?

The question at hand is whether or not the coaches can use Fayetteville's livability ranking to help in recruiting. The answer is yes. I've asked. I was told that several this year's signees specifically told the coaches that they were knocked out by the campus and NWA in general. Chad Morris had a similar reaction when he arrived. So much so that he plans to make it a big part of his recruiting pitch.

Why should that make anybody mad? If you don't like NWA, don't move there. If you like where you live better, stay there.
Mike, how many times have we heard something like "Gosh, I can't believe how wonderful the area around Fayetteville is. Never realized it's so nice" or something along those lines. Yep, for a long time I've held the belief that for a LOT of recruits the real battle is getting them to overcome (often held) prejudices/misconceptions about the area. Case in point: one of my step-sons lives in Knoxville, Tn. He was born and bred a Hog fan; however, one of his best buddies is a unrepentant Vol fan. His bud absolutely refuses to give any other school credit for anything. In any event, a few years back when the Hogs and Vols were playing in Fayetteville they decided to attend the game. They flew into Highfill and decided to stay in downtown Fayetteville. As it turns out the "good guys" in red and white ripped the puke orange a new one. My stepson's friend was absolutely devastated and pouted the whole way home. However, as they deplaned back in Knoxville the guy readily admitted that despite his bitter disappointment at the outcome of the game, he had to admit that both the area in NWA he did see plus the Hill and its facilities were extremely impressive. He also mentioned that if he ever had to leave Tennessee that the NWA area would certainly get a very strong consideration.

thebignasty

Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

DLUXHOG

Quote from: impact on February 16, 2018, 10:49:22 pm
Tuscaloosa, AL population is 41% African American but Norman, OK's population is 4.3% African American.  How many poor inner city 5 star athletes care that Fayetteville, AR is a great place to live and raise a family?  They are trying to play for a team, coach that will get them in the NFL.  Fayetteville matters when you don't make it in the league and need a job from Wal-mart or Tyson's ala Quinn Grovey.

Austin, TX is number #1. Nashville, TN, Denver, CO, Des Moines, IA and Salt Lake City, UT are on this list as well.  Without a great coach or a great athletic program, how have those cities faired lately in the Top 10 football polls?

Morris is a new coach on a bigger stage in the SEC.  He is recruiting against Alabama.  I would use any statistic as well to win some recruiting battles but Fayetteville's ranking is not a major factor.  Winning matters.  How many of your players go to the next level matters.

I am also a University of Arkansas graduate and have lived in Fayetteville, AR.

I agree....   just win consistently and convincingly and recruiting will be taken care of....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 17, 2018, 07:50:19 am
Not many are misguided when it comes to a damn salesperson wanting in their home to sell them something.

I don't have to try get in their home when I arrive.  The homeowner(s) has already set an appointment to have us come to the home (pre-set appointments).

I am not unprepared when I am inside a home.  I have received sales training from 13 different sales training programs.  Two of the several sales trainers I have learned from are probably the two best sales trainers in the world (Tom Hopkins and Brian Tracy).

Tom Hopkins has taught over 5 million people on 5 continents.  He has trained 200+ companies, and he has customized his sales training for over 300 industries.

Brian Tracy has consulted for more than 1,000 companies and addressed more than 5,000,000 people in 5,000 talks and seminars throughout the U.S., Canada, and 70 other countries worldwide.

Hog_Fink

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 17, 2018, 04:53:22 pm
I don't have to try get in their home when I arrive.  The homeowner(s) has already set an appointment to have us come to the home (pre-set appointments).

I am not unprepared when I am inside a home.  I have received sales training from 13 different sales training programs.  Two of the several sales trainers I have learned from are probably the two best sales trainers in the world (Tom Hopkins and Brian Tracy).

Tom Hopkins has taught over 5 million people on 5 continents.  He has trained 200+ companies, and he has customized his sales training for over 300 industries.

Brian Tracy has consulted for more than 1,000 companies and addressed more than 5,000,000 people in 5,000 talks and seminars throughout the U.S., Canada, and 70 other countries worldwide.

dude I dont care who taught you, I don't need a new vacuum cleaner.

RME

ricepig

Quote from: galactivation on February 17, 2018, 04:56:36 pm
dude I dont care who taught you, I don't need a new vacuum cleaner.

I was going to say Encyclopedias, but vacuum cleaner will work.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ricepig on February 17, 2018, 05:10:01 pm
I was going to say Encyclopedias, but vacuum cleaner will work.

Nice try with your incorrect assuming.

I have sold the following in homes over the years

Whole house water filtration systems
Gutters (top-of-the-line leaf protection system guttering; not the cheap, poor quality guttering that most homeowners try to get by with)
Walk-in tubs

Hog_Fink

RME

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 17, 2018, 05:16:05 pm

Gutters (top-of-the-line leaf protection system guttering; not the cheap, poor quality guttering that most homeowners try to get by with)
Walk-in tubs

Come back and talk to us when you've sold something of quality, like Cutco knives.

RME

Walk-in tubs

You use lists a lot. I find that interesting.

You know what I hate?

1. Numbers
2. Lists
3. Irony
4. Laziness

PonderinHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 17, 2018, 05:25:49 pm

You know what I hate?

1. Numbers
2. Lists
3. Irony
4. Laziness
Anything else ???

RME

greasy_corner

I quit reading after the first page.  Only an intellectually weak "fan" would try to argue against this being nothing but a positive for the UofA, and its recruitment of scholars and athletes. 

thebignasty

But they win

Hog_Fink

Walk-in tubs

someone call Morris. We gotta get this guy on board recruiting & selling the program

Bash

The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

Pork Twain

Ehh, this varies based on publication and what factors they look at.  I would love to live in Fayetteville, but not enough to leave Charlottesville.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hog_Fink

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 17, 2018, 10:43:17 pm
Ehh, this varies based on publication and what factors they look at.  I would love to live in Fayetteville, but not enough to leave Charlottesville.

I'd take Charleston over both. Also, is that you billy roper?

Mjs84

They should relocate the University to Hot Springs Arkansas.  Discussion over!

Pork Twain

Quote from: galactivation on February 17, 2018, 10:47:50 pm
I'd take Charleston over both. Also, is that you billy roper?
Nope, I is Jimmy Smith.  Once from Mammoth Spring
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 17, 2018, 04:53:22 pm

I've had so called super sales people conduct training classes in some conventions I've attended. I was never impressed by them. I know about consulting it's one of the things I do now.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 17, 2018, 05:23:04 pm
Come back and talk to us when you've sold something of quality, like Cutco knives.

Those are damn good knives! My son sold them while in college. I think we bought a few too many though.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: galactivation on February 17, 2018, 07:21:19 pm
someone call Morris. We gotta get this guy on board recruiting & selling the program

I know of someone on here that knows a couple of guys that can teach him how to sell the program...........

Inhogswetrust

Walk-in tubs

Migh as well sell used cars..........but that's disrespectful to car sales people.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 17, 2018, 10:43:17 pm

Respectfully disagree. I lived in Richmond and was in Charlottesville quite a bit.  Heck even attended a Hog basketballl game there. I prefer Fayetteville.

elviscat

Northwest Arkansa, has a major infrastructure problems, it is hard to drive during the week from town to town. It's 10x worst than Memphis or Little Rock, you get stuck in traffic and you can wait for hours. Also, wet and freezing situation it is extremely hazardous.

ricepig

Quote from: elviscat on February 18, 2018, 11:46:51 am
Northwest Arkansa, has a major infrastructure problems, it is hard to drive during the week from town to town. It's 10x worst than Memphis or Little Rock, you get stuck in traffic and you can wait for hours. Also, wet and freezing situation it is extremely hazardous.

Uh....no.

thebignasty

The 49 expansion from Fayetteville to Springdale is pretty much done, and has done wonders for alleviating the traffic on that stretch. Need to finish the northern stretch, and get a 412 bypass going.  Kind of feels like infrastructure improvements will be perpetually behind, though.
But they win

Inhogswetrust

I guess you've never driven in LA, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville, Washington DC, any damn interstate in the Bay Area or many, many other metro areas during rush hour. By the way until the new interchange at I40/I240 in east Memphis was finished it was worse than anything in NWA. Same for I240/I55 interchange.

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

thebignasty

But they win

Hogist

Quote from: factchecker on February 14, 2018, 02:31:01 am
http://time.com/money/5108196/best-places-to-live-every-state-us/

"...the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville's top employer...residents can pick up fresh produce at the Fayetteville Farmers' Market."

A town where the local university is the largest employer AND they have a farmer's market?!  Sign me up....

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 16, 2018, 01:36:27 pm
Well, come on then. I've lived in Fayetteville for 43 years. It's too much of a hippie town for my tastes but I like the five minute drive to work. Rogers & Bentonville has better shopping and places to eat but I wouldn't battle I-49 traffic daily just for that. The point is, it's not what I like or don't like. It's whether or not recruits like it.

A boyhood friend of mine has a grandson who graduats high school in Dallas this spring. The young man wants to get into TV sports. His parents brought him up to check out the broadcast journalism department at the U of A. They were shocked that that the chairman of the department spent two hours with them showing them around campus. He told them that the university is making a big push to land students out of Texas. He was offered in state tuition rates. That's great.

I sincerely hope & pray that you & your family know and realize what a bunch of blessed people you are......    I've traveled every state in the past 30 years, and no place equals NWA.... (okay, I'm biased)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Pork Twain

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 18, 2018, 07:41:31 am
Respectfully disagree. I lived in Richmond and was in Charlottesville quite a bit.  Heck even attended a Hog basketballl game there. I prefer Fayetteville.
I think we have been here before...  I like the area because the Blue Ridge Mountains remind me so much of home, but there is so much more to do, closer to the East Coast.  Loving where you live is a very individual thing and I realize what makes me love a place does not translate to everyone.  My wife and I love the history out here, being close to the coast and having DC and NY a short drive away.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 18, 2018, 12:26:23 pm
I guess you've never driven in LA, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville, Washington DC, any damn interstate in the Bay Area or many, many other metro areas during rush hour. By the way until the new interchange at I40/I240 in east Memphis was finished it was worse than anything in NWA. Same for I240/I55 interchange.
As you and I both know, there are absolutely no roads in Arkansas that suck as bad a Tampa, Chicago, DC, NY or Baltimore.  Unfortunately it is all a matter of perspective and if someone has only experienced the upper south and Midwest, they have not experienced real pain.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 18, 2018, 11:55:51 pm
I think we have been here before...  I like the area because the Blue Ridge Mountains remind me so much of home, but there is so much more to do, closer to the East Coast.  Loving where you live is a very individual thing and I realize what makes me love a place does not translate to everyone.  My wife and I love the history out here, being close to the coast and having DC and NY a short drive away.

The biggest issue with there is the snotty attitude. Not talking about you though. It is similar in geography to the ozarks west of there. I've spent a lot of time backpacking in the SNP. Other than the tourist things to do I hate D.C. I've also lived in Roanoke. I like it the best of all the places I've lived along the eastern US. Ironically not too far from Charlottesville. Generally I don't like the east coast. If I had to choose I'd take the west coast except in southern CA.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 19, 2018, 12:08:50 am
As you and I both know, there are absolutely no roads in Arkansas that suck as bad a Tampa, Chicago, DC, NY or Baltimore.  Unfortunately it is all a matter of perspective and if someone has only experienced the upper south and Midwest, they have not experienced real pain.

Yep. Ironic in that some of the worst traffic I ever got into in the area was Tulsa years ago. Hopefully they've done something to fix it.

oldhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 18, 2018, 12:26:23 pm

Austin is as about as bad as anywhere I've been.

Razorbackers

Quote from: galactivation on February 16, 2018, 07:04:46 pm
no but fayetteville at least used to be a bit funkier than a mechanical hog bar, taco bell on Dickson, & multiple whattaburgers.
Being an oasis for Texas rejects has made it more than vanilla & Everything in the city caters to them.

it's a shame it's just abunch of faux progressive, boutique liberals that have rolled over & let the University swallow the city with no remorse for how it's destroyed the soul

I don't think your problem is whataburgers or a taco bell on dickson, but ok.

Razorbackers

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 17, 2018, 05:25:49 pm

You know what I hate?

1. Numbers
2. Lists
3. Irony
4. Laziness

6. People who discriminate against others because of their place of birth.
7. The Dutch.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 19, 2018, 06:33:24 am
The biggest issue with there is the snotty attitude. Not talking about you though. It is similar in geography to the ozarks west of there. I've spent a lot of time backpacking in the SNP. Other than the tourist things to do I hate D.C. I've also lived in Roanoke. I like it the best of all the places I've lived along the eastern US. Ironically not too far from Charlottesville. Generally I don't like the east coast. If I had to choose I'd take the west coast except in southern CA.
The old money is very uppity.  My wife teaches in Charlottesville city schools.

steveaustin69

Walk-in tubs

Congrats. No one cares.

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Hog_Fink

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: oldhawg on February 19, 2018, 08:56:14 am
Austin is as about as bad as anywhere I've been.

Yep. Bad there and then you have to deal with all those damn horns.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 19, 2018, 10:22:03 am
The old money is very uppity.  My wife teaches in Charlottesville city schools.

Old money and those damn Cavaliers. My son graduated from MIT and I never saw such a snotty attitude there as I have from those damn wahoos.