Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big Mike Anderson fan but.......

Started by HogAllMighty, January 18, 2018, 10:19:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogAllMighty

January 18, 2018, 10:19:32 am Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:52:25 am by HogAllMighty
Even I have to admit he's done a poor job of coaching lately.  Take having Thompson and Cook on the floor at the same time during a crucial point of the game last night.  Why?

Also, why does he refuse to upgrade his Asst. Coaches?  How long can Cleveland hang onto the coattail? Does Watkins have any intentions of retiring?

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: HogAllMighty on January 18, 2018, 10:19:32 am
Even I have to admit he's done a poor job of coaching lately.
The last SEVEN years.

HogBreath

Even I have to admit he's done a poor job of coaching lately.  Take have Thompson and Cook on the floor at the same time during a crucial point of the game last night.  Why?

Also, why doea he refuse to upgrade his Asst. Coaches?  How long can Cleveland hang onto the coattail? Does Watkins have any intentions of retiring?
Yes, yes...I can tell by your comments you're a huge fan of CMA and the glorious, beloved fast forty.

Hey...aren't we all?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

26.2Hog

Even I have to admit he's done a poor job of coaching lately.  Take have Thompson and Cook on the floor at the same time during a crucial point of the game last night.  Why?

Also, why doea he refuse to upgrade his Asst. Coaches?  How long can Cleveland hang onto the coattail? Does Watkins have any intentions of retiring?

He won't fire his lifelong friend, his nephew, or his former player. 

He did push out Zimmerman, for whom he had no emotional attachment.

Rbill

Quote from: tncbg on January 18, 2018, 09:08:57 pm
The question about assistants is legitimate. Between Mike's loyalty and the complete lack of interest from other programs, that bench will not change. I think Scotty has improved recruiting, so expect him to get some looks. He doesn't make that much money, so he might bolt for a raise. Watkins and Cleveland are content to collect a nice check and sit quietly on the bench.

I asked about this last year and perhaps the year before I think. I'm unfamiliar with the standard role of assistant coaches in basketball. They don't have titles like football that describe their responsibilities, so it's harder to say if they are earning their keep on the coaching staff. Do basketball coaches typically delegate responsibilities like offensive plays, defense, rebounding? Do other programs hold them accountable for anything? In my opinion all of the staff should be accountable. If they aren't responsible or accountable for anything it's like we only have one coach.

Is it common for assistant coaches to be fired? Or is the package deal that we have normal?

HogAllMighty

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on January 18, 2018, 08:16:02 pm
The last SEVEN years.

No agenda here......  can you say that you obviously miss the losing sec seasons that we had almost every year before he became the head coach?  I mean we all miss sucking really bad to where we didn't bother with basketball because we knew the season was going to be crap anyway.  Man I miss those years so much......
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 19, 2018, 05:52:23 pm
No agenda here......  can you say that you obviously miss the losing sec seasons that we had almost every year before he became the head coach?  I mean we all miss sucking really bad to where we didn't bother with basketball because we knew the season was going to be crap anyway.  Man I miss those years so much......
Sorry man but turning around a basketball team doesn't take 7+ years. It simply shouldn't take this long but if you're ok with a random NCAA tourney appearance and being bounced in the 2nd round as your best year, then go ahead and tell us how good things are 7 years later. I'm not saying fire him now because I can wait till the end of the season but things aren't looking good. This is from a guy who thought BB deserved another year, so I'm not the quick trigger type of person.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

HogAllMighty

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 19, 2018, 06:11:24 pm
Sorry man but turning around a basketball team doesn't take 7+ years. It simply shouldn't take this long but if you're ok with a random NCAA tourney appearance and being bounced in the 2nd round as your best year, then go ahead and tell us how good things are 7 years later. I'm not saying fire him now because I can wait till the end of the season but things aren't looking good.

Would you prefer we pay players like Kentucky? Sorry I mean UMass, Oops, I mean like Memphis?

AlmaHog2011

I support Coach Anderson!! I don't understand playing Cook while benching Bailey? I don't. Bailey is an athlete and has a lot of potential. I watched Cook play as JC player in Poteau Ok and he was terrible. I said then he wouldn't help and he hasn't. He can't jump is not good on defense and can't score. He's not athletic not an effort player. I just don't get it.

Unfortunately Coach A has to play to many players that can't score or hit a wide open jump shot. Not even being guarded but they don't get offensive rebounds and just can't score. This team will be lucky to get into the NCAA Tourney. If they don't start working inside to Gafford and become a team they will be in the NIT.

AlmaHog2011

For the life of me I don't understand the switching at the top of the key over and over. That is easily switched but Mike continues to play this style defense.

Very confusing why he still does this??? I still don't want him fired.

HiggiePiggy

2 tournaments in 3 years. Would be 3 in the last 4 if he gets in this year.  He took over a program that had 2 sec winning seasons in the last 10 years.  1 time under heath and 1 time under Pelphrey.  He came in and had 1 losing season then followed it up with 4 winning seasons and 1 even season.  This year isn't over so who knows how it will go. 

But the last year of Nolan Richardson to the beginning of Mike Anderson we had 2 winning seasons in the SEC in 10 years. 

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 19, 2018, 06:24:46 pm
2 tournaments in 3 years. Would be 3 in the last 4 if he gets in this year.  He took over a program that had 2 sec winning seasons in the last 10 years.  1 time under heath and 1 time under Pelphrey.  He came in and had 1 losing season then followed it up with 4 winning seasons and 1 even season.  This year isn't over so who knows how it will go. 

But the last year of Nolan Richardson to the beginning of Mike Anderson we had 2 winning seasons in the SEC in 10 years. 
Don't care what Phelprey or Heath did..That was 7 YEARS AGO. At some point you have to stand on your own results and not the failures of others.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

99toLife

Quote from: HogAllMighty on January 19, 2018, 06:15:16 pm
Would you prefer we pay players like Kentucky? Sorry I mean UMass, Oops, I mean like Memphis?
Please, we under achieve because we don't cheat BS is ridiculous. Poor pitiful us because we play fair and that's not fair.
Maybe we need a better coach Period! Ever think of that. Not everyone better than us cheats.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 19, 2018, 06:40:49 pm
Don't care what Phelprey or Heath did..That was 7 YEARS AGO. At some point you have to stand on your own results and not the failures of others.

And he is.  2 tournament appearances in his last 3 years.  And has a chance of a 3rd in 4 years after turning a crap program back into a respectable program.   

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 19, 2018, 07:22:34 pm
And he is.  2 tournament appearances in his last 3 years.  And has a chance of a 3rd in 4 years after turning a crap program back into a respectable program.

Heath-Pel went to 3 in 3 seasons.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 19, 2018, 07:27:47 pm
Heath-Pel went to 3 in 3 seasons.

Pelphrey went to 1 his first season and then nothing for 3 more after that with 3 losing seasons in the SEC.  heath some how got in his last year even though he had a losing season in the sec.

HogAllMighty

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 19, 2018, 07:22:34 pm

There's no sense in arguing with some people.  They still butt hurt over their beloved Football coach getting canned.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: HogAllMighty on January 19, 2018, 07:51:35 pm
There's no sense in arguing with some people.  They still butt hurt over their beloved Football coach getting canned.

I see that.  It is amazing. Some of these people loved a crappy coach with Bielema, but they hate a coach that is progressing because he isn't duplicating what Nolan or Sutton did.  But I guess they were cool with the 10 years before he showed up because we were so awesome during that time......

Letsroll1200

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 19, 2018, 06:24:46 pm

The Hogs are about to breakthrough and go on a winning streak.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 19, 2018, 08:18:31 pm
The Hogs are about to breakthrough and go on a winning streak.

Maybe.  None of our next 6 SEC opponents have a winning conf record.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 19, 2018, 07:33:32 pm
Pelphrey went to 1 his first season and then nothing for 3 more after that with 3 losing seasons in the SEC.  heath some how got in his last year even though he had a losing season in the sec.

Tougher schedule.

Heath and Pel were fired. A completely different situation but so was Bielema.  None got special treatment.  All justifiably fired as they didn't perform close to the standards of the program. 

Just making the NCAAT wasn't good enough.  7 years in now and it is a celebrated achievement. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 19, 2018, 07:57:02 pm
I see that.  It is amazing. Some of these people loved a crappy coach with Bielema, but they hate a coach that is progressing because he isn't duplicating what Nolan or Sutton did.  But I guess they were cool with the 10 years before he showed up because we were so awesome during that time......

Not cool with it.  Not cool with Nolan's decline or the roster he left.  Not cool with Heath or  Pelphrey's hiring or lack of achievements or the off the court bs.   Not cool with the program being irrelevant now either.

Your Pel and Heath argument is lazy and dumb.  None of us were happy with it.  And being scared of falling back isn't a reason to approve underachieving. 

HiggiePiggy

It's not really dumb at all.  People are freaking out because of how the team is after 6 games in the SEC. 

He hasn't really underachieved or overachieved. He is where people should expect after being a terrible program for a decade. It's on the up swing. 

Now if he finishes with a losing record in the SEC and doesn't make the tournament this year then yes I will agree that he is underachieving.  Right now he has the program on an up swing taking it to 2 tournament appearances in 3 years after building it back up from being below mediocre for awhile. 

Nolan isn't coming back.  Neither is Sutton.  Anderson has turned a decade of crap into a respectable program.  I am more than happy to give him the rest of this year to get Arkansas into another NCAA tournament and see how it goes before jumping all over him and wanting him fired after every loss we have.   

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 19, 2018, 09:22:12 pm
It's not really dumb at all.  People are freaking out because of how the team is after 6 games in the SEC. 

He hasn't really underachieved or overachieved. He is where people should expect after being a terrible program for a decade. It's on the up swing. 

Now if he finishes with a losing record in the SEC and doesn't make the tournament this year then yes I will agree that he is underachieving.  Right now he has the program on an up swing taking it to 2 tournament appearances in 3 years after building it back up from being below mediocre for awhile. 

Nolan isn't coming back.  Neither is Sutton.  Anderson has turned a decade of crap into a respectable program.  I am more than happy to give him the rest of this year to get Arkansas into another NCAA tournament and see how it goes before jumping all over him and wanting him fired after every loss we have.   

I haven't seen anyone saying fire him before the end of the season.   

We went to 4 NCAATs from 2000-1 season through 2008. Not close to good enough.  Gone to 2 so far this decade.  Scholarships unbalanced just as Heath had setup meaning another roster turnover coming. At least off the court seems to be in order.

jvanhorn

Quote from: HogAllMighty on January 19, 2018, 06:15:16 pm

Stupid simplistic response.  Has nothing to do with the problem.

jvanhorn

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 19, 2018, 09:22:12 pm
It’s not really dumb at all.  People are freaking out because of how the team is after 6 games in the SEC. 

He hasn’t really underachieved or overachieved. He is where people should expect after being a terrible program for a decade. It’s on the up swing. 

Now if he finishes with a losing record in the SEC and doesn’t make the tournament this year then yes I will agree that he is underachieving.  Right now he has the program on an up swing taking it to 2 tournament appearances in 3 years after building it back up from being below mediocre for awhile. 

Nolan isn’t coming back.  Neither is Sutton.  Anderson has turned a decade of crap into a respectable program.  I am more than happy to give him the rest of this year to get Arkansas into another NCAA tournament and see how it goes before jumping all over him and wanting him fired after every loss we have.   

Well if "respectable" is all you want you got the right man.  He was respectable at Missouri too.  No threat to actually win anything major importance.  I don't think Kansas hardly even noticed he was there.

HogAllMighty

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 20, 2018, 03:01:09 am
Well if "respectable" is all you want you got the right man.  He was respectable at Missouri too.  No threat to actually win anything major importance.  I don't think Kansas hardly even noticed he was there.

It's "Hating" season folks!

GuvHog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 19, 2018, 07:33:32 pm

Nice job of distorting a previous coach's record in your attempt to prop Mike up.

In Pelphrey's first year as Hog HC, he led the Hogs to the NCAA Tournament getting a win in the first round then losing in the second round.

In Pelphrey's second year, due to Heath's poor recruiting, he had to almost completely rebuild the roster resulting in a losing season.

In Pelphrey's third year, the Hogs improved winning 18 games but missing an NIT bid.

In Pelphrey's fourth year, the Hogs again won 18 games, received an NIT bid, and had a top 10 recruiting class coming in but Jeff Long caved in to the pressure and fired Pelphrey then declined the basketball teams NIT invitation.

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 08:00:30 am
Nice job of distorting a previous coach's record in your attempt to prop Mike up.

In Pelphrey's first year as Hog HC, he led the Hogs to the NCAA Tournament getting a win in the first round then losing in the second round.

In Pelphrey's second year, due to Heath's poor recruiting, he had to almost completely rebuild the roster resulting in a losing season.

In Pelphrey's third year, the Hogs improved winning 18 games but missing an NIT bid.

In Pelphrey's fourth year, the Hogs again won 18 games, received an NIT bid, and had a top 10 recruiting class coming in but Jeff Long caved in to the pressure and fired Pelphrey then declined the basketball teams NIT invitation.
Lol ok. If you remember, Pel's second team beat OU and Texas to round out OOC play and then went 2-14 in SEC play. I don't think it was so much roster issues as terrible coaching which was a staple of the John Pelphrey era. They lost some good seniors going into that year for sure but it's basketball. If Heath was in charge of that first team instead of Pel I think they would have made a real good run in the dance.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung