Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greenville News: Chad Morris will hit the ground running/passing at Arkansas

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, December 11, 2017, 06:30:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Folks around his old stomping ground (Clemson) appear to be confident that Morris will be successful at Arkansas.

He hit the ground running (and passing) at Clemson, munching on Chick-O-Sticks and slamming Red Bulls all the while.

"With him being my first offensive coordinator in college, that was just normal to me – I didn't know any better," said former Clemson lineman Eric Mac Lain. "I just thought everybody was going 100 miles an hour 24-7."

Morris was famous for downplaying the Tigers' talent in the spring – "everybody's an All-American when it's 72 and partly cloudy," he'd say – as well as during the season, when his favorite refrain was "we ain't ready to starting signing autographs yet."

He demanded perfection, and more times than not his players complied.

"He was all over the whole team all the time," Mac Lain said. "He expected greatness from all of us."

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2017/12/08/chad-morris-hit-ground-running/936271001/
Go Hogs Go!

Hog N Bama

jgphillips3

He has the vision and attitude.  If he can get the talent, in three years we ought to be back to being respected at least...maybe better.

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

jimhog

I hope he can get the talent, recruit some 4 and 5 star players with determination.

RedyorNot

Thanks Muskogee, good article. His demeanor is night and day from CBB, that was evident when his first sentence to the players was "sit up, put your feet on the floor and your drinks down." I'd be interested to know the teams perception of Morris at this point now that they've met him and done their research.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RedyorNot on December 11, 2017, 08:03:58 am
Thanks Muskogee, good article. His demeanor is night and day from CBB, that was evident when his first sentence to the players was "sit up, put your feet on the floor and your drinks down." I'd be interested to know the teams perception of Morris at this point now that they've met him and done their research.

I don't think CBB came in here lazy and non-caring.  I think he had a system that he thought would work based on his time at Wisconsin.  It didn't.  I know you weren't taking a shot at him, but some have, and I don't think that's warranted. 

Football is VASTLY different from when I played back in the mid eightees.  Coaches were more like Drill Sargeants and they shredded you in practice, beat you down mentally, and did things to "toughen" you up that would get you fired today.  While we "get off your lawn" generation may like that "old school" approach, I'm not convinced it works with the kids anymore. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Sooiepride

Good article. I like 100 mph, 24-7. I get the idea he is working his tail off.  Not that other coaches aren't doing the same thing, but when previous players say that about him, I feel like he's going above and beyond. Hopefully it pays off.
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

urkillnsmalls, I cannot agree with your opinion about taking shots at Bret.  I never called him Bert.  I did call him lazy and still feel that way.  It is just my opinion that Bret didn't have nearly as much influence on Wisconsin as he believed he did.  I don't believe he used time well, refused to really change when he could see what he was doing was not working and never had our team ready for success.

I would also offer that Chad Morris may not be successful at our stop or maybe he will.  It appears to have assisted in working for Clemson, the defending NC.  It is also my opinion that in most sporting events, the team with the attitude that they cannot be denied has an immediate step up on the team expecting to lose and the totality of those thoughts usually determine the winner.

Exciting Coach, exciting team.  Wet Blanket Coach, Wet Blanket Team.

d3maybe

Quote from: 12247 on December 11, 2017, 09:10:55 am
urkillnsmalls, I cannot agree with your opinion about taking shots at Bret.  I never called him Bert.  I did call him lazy and still feel that way.  It is just my opinion that Bret didn't have nearly as much influence on Wisconsin as he believed he did.  I don't believe he used time well, refused to really change when he could see what he was doing was not working and never had our team ready for success.

I would also offer that Chad Morris may not be successful at our stop or maybe he will.  It appears to have assisted in working for Clemson, the defending NC.  It is also my opinion that in most sporting events, the team with the attitude that they cannot be denied has an immediate step up on the team expecting to lose and the totality of those thoughts usually determine the winner.

I agree with UrKillinMeSmalls here... and I don't think what you are describing is lazy its stubborn. Both of you are correct in that he didn't have as much influence in Wisconsin as he though and he had a system he thought would work here that just flat didn't and he wasn't willing to change and adapt. IMHO of course.

And to the OP, BP was this way as well... he demanded perfection and would let you know it when it wasn't achieved... Houston was also this way in that he was very good at getting the players to believe they could win he was just not tactically as sound as BP.

If we have a blend of both worlds here with CCM then I believe we might be in store for some of the most exciting times in Arkansas football in a long time.

I think the Hogs Hoops team will keep us entertained until well into March also the Baseball team, but its going to be a VERY long summer.

Dark Helmet Hog

Good read. Also, it seems good coaches always try to downplay the team's talent during the year (individuals excluded).

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

urkillnmesmalls

We can agree to disagree.  I'm cool with that.  My take is that Bret's effort TO CHANGE is exactly what got the team off the rails.  I think he saw that a power run game wasn't going to work at Arkansas, and he tried to change.  His recruiting rankings were as good as our other coaches, so I don't think it's fair to call him lazy.  It's fair to say he made some horrible decisions, and he has admitted as much, starting with failing to get enough lineman in when he didn't anticipate the NFL would come calling. 

To me, the guy tried, and it just didn't work here.  He grossly underestimated how difficult it is to try to compete head to head against teams with better players.  Period. 

Now, we have people on the board acting like one press conference, and we clearly have the right coach for Arkansas.  I don't care WHO they hired, until the take the field and we see if we can compete, it will be a complete unknown.  Talk is cheap. 

EDIT:  To further this point, what good do you think it serves to take shots at BB?  He's shown nothing but class since being terminated.  Is it too much to ask for our fans to extend the same courtesy? 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

WorfHog

Things didn't work out here for Bret, no need to get personal.

It's clear now that he wasn't ready to compete in the SEC West, but it's not from lack of caring or a poor work ethic. He got beat down by a group of guys who frankly did a superior job week in and week out.