Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morris Recruiting Dallas Today

Started by moses_007, December 08, 2017, 02:13:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

Wow, he's already at work after the big boys in Texas.  Wooie Pig Sooie!

Wildhog

Well, we're gonna find out if a coach with strong Texas ties can actually move us up the pecking order for Texas recruits.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

JONAS

Quote from: Wildhog on December 08, 2017, 02:15:31 pm
Well, we're gonna find out if a coach with strong Texas ties can actually move us up the pecking order for Texas recruits.

That's why we hired him.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

moses_007

He's not lettin' any grass grow under his feet.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HoopS

Quote from: Wildhog on December 08, 2017, 02:15:31 pm
asking a lot to do it this signing period.

Wildhog

Quote from: HoopS on December 08, 2017, 02:28:40 pm

Just meant in general.  Not necessarily this signing period.

I expect us to flip a couple of SMU commits that they really like.  Probably get a few "under-the-radar" Texas guys.  With the momentum of a new hire, might even flip one or two from another school (other than SMU.)

The expectations go up next year.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jgphillips3

Quote from: Wildhog on December 08, 2017, 02:30:32 pm
Just meant in general.  Not necessarily this signing period.

Exactly.  He might swing one or two for us this time, what with our limited numbers and all, but next year I hope to see a major impact.

Bubba's Bruisers

True, but the first Wednesday in February 2018 will still provide us with a first glimpse of his recruiting prowess.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

nwahogfan1

I imagine he has a good relationship with these recruits already but they would not go to SMU so now he is hoping a shot at the SEC will win them over. 

runninghog

I'm hoping he can at least kick Nebraska, Northwestern, UCLA, and maybe just maybe Stanford out of Texas and take over their pecking order.  They have no business recruiting Texas anyway....well, maybe Nebraska does but still.

AHorseWithNoName

Quote from: moses_007 on December 08, 2017, 02:13:57 pm
Wow, he's already at work after the big boys in Texas.  Wooie Pig Sooie!

+1
"A man on a horse is spiritually, as well as physically, bigger than a man on foot." — John Steinbeck

theFlyingHog

Can't expect too much until he's had a chance to put his product on the field in RRS

HotlantaHog

Wouldn't expect miracles for this year's class. Most recruits have already identified what schools are their favorites if they are entering the 2018 class. I suspect you will see much more progress in 2019, 2020, 2021.

It's been talked about that Morris recruited Deshaun Watson to Clemson from Gainesville, Georgia. Near UGA. Morris identiifed Watson as a top recruit before other schools did, and recruited him for three years. The point being that sometimes these recruiting relationships take a few years to pay off.

Not being negative, I feel very positive. The best thing I have heard is how interested and inclusive Morris wants to be of Arkansas high schools. It's been talked about quite a bit on Hogville for years, but Arkansas football has been a real drag on the ability of the Hogs to excel. There have been a few outstanding years and a few amazing recruits that blow everyone away but overall there are not a lot of top prospects generated from the state. If Morris can help high schools build their programs, that would pay off in a huge way in future years.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 08, 2017, 02:42:54 pm
Can't expect too much until he's had a chance to put his product on the field in RRS
you'd think. but in this case, Chad is a rock star in Texas, everybody's seen Clemsom and Wtason, etc. Being terrible means freshman think they can play right away. Our team is a little more talented than our record, but the record makes it look wide open to the soon to be freshman. I bet Morris gets a couple 4*s out of Texas this year. And we'll have a few 4 and 5 *s committed for the 19 class before we hit the field , i think.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

moses_007

I think he'll land some recruits this recruiting season that will really shock us.

ricepig

Quote from: moses_007 on December 08, 2017, 02:49:05 pm
I think he'll land some recruits this recruiting season that will really shock us.

Good or bad???

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 08, 2017, 02:46:29 pm
Wouldn't expect miracles for this year's class. Most recruits have already identified what schools are their favorites if they are entering the 2018 class. I suspect you will see much more progress in 2019, 2020, 2021.

It's been talked about that Morris recruited Deshaun Watson to Clemson from Gainesville, Georgia. Near UGA. Morris identiifed Watson as a top recruit before other schools did, and recruited him for three years. The point being that sometimes these recruiting relationships take a few years to pay off.

Not being negative, I feel very positive. The best thing I have heard is how interested and inclusive Morris wants to be of Arkansas high schools. It's been talked about quite a bit on Hogville for years, but Arkansas football has been a real drag on the ability of the Hogs to excel. There have been a few outstanding years and a few amazing recruits that blow everyone away but overall there are not a lot of top prospects generated from the state. If Morris can help high schools build their programs, that would pay off in a huge way in future years.

Who's to say he hasn't been building those relationships in his time at SMU? Not everybody knows when they're in 10th grade that they'll get an offer from OU or Texas their senior year. The good news is he's not starting from scratch in Texas the way our last staff was. Remember the signing of Alex Collins. He came to Arkansas because of a relationship that had been developed for several years when those coaches were at Wisconsin.

blueridger

Coach Fry had a few quality linemen committed....the type for Chad's offense.  Who knows...might get a flip or two.   

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 08, 2017, 02:34:09 pm
True, but the first Wednesday in February 2018 will still provide us with a first glimpse of his recruiting prowess.
Nah with our numbers it is going to be an underwhelming class, unless he is a miracle worker.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 08, 2017, 02:54:24 pm
Nah with our numbers it is going to be an underwhelming class, unless he is a miracle worker.

I mean, Bielema came in on a short time frame and got Alex Collins, Dan Skipper, Reeve Koehler (big get at the time), and Denver Kirkland
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Wildhog on December 08, 2017, 02:59:02 pm
I mean, Bielema came in on a short time frame and got Alex Collins, Dan Skipper, Reeve Koehler (big get at the time), and Denver Kirkland
Yeah but he was in on most of those kids from Wisconsin, I am thinking there probably isn't a ton of kids we want that CM was really recruiting from SMU. I mean I know he offered Pool, and has now thrown an offer to this Bush kid, but I would bet he didn't visit with a bunch of big time guys, but maybe he did.

ricepig

Yeah, I'll be surprised if we gain any significant top recruits this year. Hopefully we get a good DC and gain back a few we lost, that will be significant.

Bubba's Bruisers

I bet he ends up taking more that BB would have.

Not suggesting he's going to flip a bunch of kids, or sign 4 stars, but the claim is that he's extremely connected and respected in TX.  We'll at least get a glimpse of what kind of stroke he has down there.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 08, 2017, 03:09:01 pm
Yeah but he was in on most of those kids from Wisconsin, I am thinking there probably isn't a ton of kids we want that CM was really recruiting from SMU. I mean I know he offered Pool, and has now thrown an offer to this Bush kid, but I would bet he didn't visit with a bunch of big time guys, but maybe he did.

I'm not judging him on this class either way.  Usually a new hire brings a bit of recruiting momentum, though.  We might be surprised at who we can get.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on December 08, 2017, 03:11:24 pm
Yeah, I'll be surprised if we gain any significant top recruits this year. Hopefully we get a good DC and gain back a few we lost, that will be significant.

Yes, somehow convincing Gooden and Hanspard to return to the nest would be outstanding.  And convince Bohannon and Bishop to sign too.

Do that alone, and he's made a significant dent.

jackflash

I think for this year at least for him to get a great recruit it will have to come from Texas. Other places will depend on who he hires to  fill out his staff

Wildhog

For all we know there may be a big time recruit that would have committed to Morris had he been at a major program.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

None of those are from Texas. Good players though.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hugo Bezdek

I'm going to be interested to see how many  kids sign in the early period and how many wait. That may have a big impact on who's available. Or not.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Wildhog on December 08, 2017, 03:17:48 pm
For all we know there may be a big time recruit that would have committed to Morris had he been at a major program.
there's probably a dozen of those. may be too late in this cycle for all but one or two though, but next year....
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Wildhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 08, 2017, 03:20:03 pm
there's probably a dozen of those. may be too late in this cycle for all but one or two though, but next year....

Recruiting expectations will be high next year.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: jackflash on December 08, 2017, 03:16:02 pm
I think for this year at least for him to get a great recruit it will have to come from Texas. Other places will depend on who he hires to  fill out his staff

He's behind the 8-ball a bit simply by being from SMU where he likely wasn't recruiting SECW caliber players.  It's really late in the game to expect him to convince many, if any, of those types of players to commit to him and UA. 

The really good news is that his first full class, 2019, will be one of the best in-state crops we've seen in years...perfect timing for a new HC.  Maybe a better class than BP had in 2008.  And that doesn't include Grunnell who's a legacy.

31to6

49 of the top 100 recruits in Texas are either still uncommitted (18) or are committed to a school that just had a coaching change (30). Even at schools where there is enthusiasm about the new hire, there will be players who don't fit the scheme or who have to be re-recruited by the new staff.

And that's even ignoring the possibility of a player where he had a strong relationship but just couldn't sell them on SMU.

Not expecting miracles, but I would not be surprised to be pleasantly surprised.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on December 08, 2017, 03:20:32 pm
Recruiting expectations will be high next year.

Aren't they always, haha??

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on December 08, 2017, 03:17:48 pm

Everything about CM suggests there'll be a surprise.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on December 08, 2017, 03:21:50 pm
Aren't they always, haha??

Not going to hold much against him this year. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawginbigd1

Quote from: 31to6 on December 08, 2017, 03:21:40 pm
49 of the top 100 recruits in Texas are either still uncommitted (18) or are committed to a school that just had a coaching change (30). Even at schools where there is enthusiasm about the new hire, there will be players who don't fit the scheme or who have to be re-recruited by the new staff.

And that's even ignoring the possibility of a player where he had a strong relationship but just couldn't sell them on SMU.

Not expecting miracles, but I would not be surprised to be pleasantly surprised.
I am wondering whether a few of our in-state commits might find other schools to sign with? based on the coaching change, I am thinking that would be a hard needle to thread for CM, could leave a bad taste in some coaches mouths.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 08, 2017, 03:27:13 pm
I am wondering whether a few of our in-state commits might find other schools to sign with? based on the coaching change, I am thinking that would be a hard needle to thread for CM, could leave a bad taste in some coaches mouths.

As in CM encouraging commits to look elsewhere?

31to6

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 08, 2017, 03:27:13 pm
I think it will probably be ok. We only have 5 in-state commits.

If anything we probably have a better chance of expanding the class than losing some.

jkstock04

If "Texas high school coaching legend" hype is what it is I'm expecting some Texas recruiting fireworks out the gate. Not a top 15 class or anything crazy but I'm expecting at least two or three 3/4 star Texas guys we normally wouldn't have a prayer to get.

Supposedly he couldn't do it at SMU because SMU is the Vandy of that conference with high academic requirements. We'll see.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hawginbigd1

Bubba's Bruisers

jvanhorn

Quote from: runninghog on December 08, 2017, 02:39:06 pm
I'm hoping he can at least kick Nebraska, Northwestern, UCLA, and maybe just maybe Stanford out of Texas and take over their pecking order.  They have no business recruiting Texas anyway....well, maybe Nebraska does but still.

I imagine Scott Frost understands how important Texas should be to Nebraska in recruiting.

farmhawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 08, 2017, 03:15:57 pm
Yes, somehow convincing Gooden and Hanspard to return to the nest would be outstanding.  And convince Bohannon and Bishop to sign too.

Do that alone, and he's made a significant dent.
If he wants them, I think he is a better evaluator than Bret.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: farmhawg on December 08, 2017, 03:47:02 pm
If he wants them, I think he is a better evaluator than Bret.

I doubt is was ever an evaluation thing.  It rarely is.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 08, 2017, 03:45:49 pm
Who might be a candidate for such?
There are a few Lineman that don't have big offer lists, not saying if should or shouldn't, just wondering.

Inhogswetrust

December 08, 2017, 03:56:34 pm #49 Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:40:32 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Wildhog on December 08, 2017, 03:19:09 pm
So?

So, the point of the thread was he is emphasizing recruiting in Texas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi