Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can we temper expectations a bit?

Started by hogz11, December 07, 2017, 11:25:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: oldhawg on December 11, 2017, 09:37:05 am
Logic supports what you say, but it just isn't the right time for logic.  :)

Personally I have tempered my expectations for next year somewhat, but still expect a six or seven win season and a bowl game.  (no bowl game is insignificant because of the extra practice time and the extra exposure it gives the team). 

If they go to Fort Collins and win, then I think they will get to 6 for sure. Go there and lose, and it may be another 5 win season.

Just too much unknown right now, imo, to be making predictions.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Switchback

6 wins with this team then prepare yourselves for mediocrity at best during his tenure.  If he can win 8 regular season wins he has a bright future.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 08:55:55 am
So funny, we have people who want to discount recruiting rankings UNLESS it is some kid from in state that goes to play somewhere else. Then, all of a sudden we just lost the greatest player ever because Ohio St or Bama got a 4 star to leave Arkansas.

You can say recruiting rankings do not matter, but isn't it strange that the teams that have better recruiting year after year tend to win year after year? There has to be something to those rankings.
Now, every recruit does not play to their ranking. Some 3 stars turn into 5 star type players and some 5 stars do not play up to that level either.

How anyone can look at the roster of the Hogs and say they have the talent to win games is just crazy to me. They went 4-8, and lost some of their better players. They are going to be installing a new offense and quite possibly a new defense, and they also could be playing with a QB that is a rs fr or tr fr. Nothing about this team says they SHOULD win 7 or 8 games. They may win 10+, or they may win 5 or 6. With so much new stuff so much transition, to say they SHOULD do anything is guessing.

The Hogs return 17 starters next year and they get some that started earlier this season back from injury (Pulley returns on defense).

Morris has said the Defense will still be primarily in a 3 man front as they are now sometimes switching from a 3-4 to a 3-3-5 under the new DC.

As far as the starting QB goes, NEVER underestimate Cole Kelly.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

d3maybe

Speaking of expectations, why is everyone circling the A&M game as a loss??? They are breaking in a new coach too, and we had opportunities to beat them this year. I wouldn't be too quick to mark that as a loss already.

Screw tempering expectations, I'm with what several others posted. I prefer optimism, its a hell of a lot more fun.

The NewEra

Quote from: GuvHog on December 11, 2017, 09:47:00 am
The Hogs return 17 starters next year and they get some that started earlier this season back from injury (Pulley returns on defense).

Morris has said the Defense will still be primarily in a 3 man front as they are now sometimes switching from a 3-4 to a 3-3-5 under the new DC.

As far as the starting QB goes, NEVER underestimate Cole Kelly.

Unlike some others, I think Cole Kelley could thrive in this offense.  Maybe the larger question is, does he want to play this style, or would he prefer to transfer to a pro style offense?

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: hogz11 on December 07, 2017, 11:25:37 pm
Let me start off by saying I've come to love the hire and will probably end up drunk from drinking the CCM koolaid. But I've seen people already saying 7-5 next year with the possibility to win 8 games with the bowl. If CCM does that with this team, he should be SEC coach of the year and in the running for national coach of the year.

This current team has talent no doubt. A few players have the potential to be elite. But this was the poorest coached Razorback team many of us have ever seen. Offense and defense was abysmal. Special teams was non existent. Not to mention, they were probably the slowest team in the SEC. Lack of speed everywhere.

CCM is now going to try and take that team along with incoming players and mold it into an explosive offense and attacking defense with a dangerous special teams as well.

I hope CCM does it and more but that is a tall TALL mountain to climb. Just don't know if I can expect much year 1.

Again, I hope CCM and the Hogs blow the doors off the rest of the SEC.
I agree. As a matter of fact I am scheduled to speak at my son's Jr High School today and I plan to send the same message. Aim for the stars - heck no. Aim for the curb you will never disappointed. Stop dreaming. Don't believe in yourself. Listen when anyone says you are too small, too slow, too dumb.

This is a message of champions.

Until proven other wise- we should believe that we are going to win them all. WPS # Hammerdown
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 09:40:20 am
If they go to Fort Collins and win, then I think they will get to 6 for sure. Go there and lose, and it may be another 5 win season.

Just too much unknown right now, imo, to be making predictions.

Here's what we know about Colorado State:

Their average Rivals recruiting ranking for the last 4 years is 78 (if you give them 100 for 2015 when they didn't make the top 100).

They opened the season in their new stadium with a signature win over Oregon State. Oregon State finished 1-11.

They beat New Mexico by a field goal. They lost to Wyoming.

If recruiting rankings are the guidepost, Colorado State should not seriously challenge Arkansas, at home, at altitude, or anywhere else.

Arkansas is not without talent. Lack of coaching, injuries, and a schedule set up for a snowball rolling downhill is what happened in 2017.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Ozarks TrueSon

My, my!  Is there any Kool-Aid left in the state of Arkansas?

I very much like the hire of Chad Morris for Arkansas.  But, I always felt the hiring of Bert was going to be a home run for the Hogs.  The problem with BB, and the problem now facing CM, is the lack of SEC caliber athletes on the roster.  The top teams in the SEC will always get more than their share of 4* and 5* players, elite athletes who possess both the body and the football skills to step in and contribute from day one.  The middle and lower tier SEC schools, which would include Arkansas, must rely on identifying kids who have developable bodies and football skills to, over time, become SEC caliber players.  Arkansas' defense as a whole, as well as the offensive line (and to some extent, wide receivers) just lacks the speed and athleticism necessary to win in the SEC.  Arkansas simply cannot recruit enough elite players, and has not been successful at identifying developable kids who can become SEC ready.
Couple these facts with the 180 degree turn in offensive philosophy, using Bert's existing ground and pound personnel, and making a bowl in Morris' first season would be a major accomplishment.  Much more likely there will be at least one more losing season before things fall into place and the Hogs start winning.
I look for Morris to recruit a grad-transfer or juco QB to run his offensive system next year.  Even if he finds a QB, as Gus found with Jarrett Stidham, Arkansas will still have the slowest, worst defense in the SEC.
Chad Morris should be good for Arkansas football.  Just don't expect miracles next year.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Ozarks TrueSon on December 11, 2017, 10:09:59 am
My, my!  Is there any Kool-Aid left in the state of Arkansas?

I very much like the hire of Chad Morris for Arkansas.  But, I always felt the hiring of Bert was going to be a home run for the Hogs.  The problem with BB, and the problem now facing CM, is the lack of SEC caliber athletes on the roster.  The top teams in the SEC will always get more than their share of 4* and 5* players, elite athletes who possess both the body and the football skills to step in and contribute from day one.  The middle and lower tier SEC schools, which would include Arkansas, must rely on identifying kids who have developable bodies and football skills to, over time, become SEC caliber players.  Arkansas' defense as a whole, as well as the offensive line (and to some extent, wide receivers) just lacks the speed and athleticism necessary to win in the SEC.  Arkansas simply cannot recruit enough elite players, and has not been successful at identifying developable kids who can become SEC ready.
Couple these facts with the 180 degree turn in offensive philosophy, using Bert's existing ground and pound personnel, and making a bowl in Morris' first season would be a major accomplishment.  Much more likely there will be at least one more losing season before things fall into place and the Hogs start winning.
I look for Morris to recruit a grad-transfer or juco QB to run his offensive system next year.  Even if he finds a QB, as Gus found with Jarrett Stidham, Arkansas will still have the slowest, worst defense in the SEC.
Chad Morris should be good for Arkansas football.  Just don't expect miracles next year.

How many top SEC teams are on Arkansas's schedule next year?

hogsanity

Quote from: d3maybe on December 11, 2017, 09:58:59 am
Speaking of expectations, why is everyone circling the A&M game as a loss??? They are breaking in a new coach too, and we had opportunities to beat them this year. I wouldn't be too quick to mark that as a loss already.

Screw tempering expectations, I'm with what several others posted. I prefer optimism, its a hell of a lot more fun.

Only games I am circling as a loss are Bama and LSU. Only ones I am circling as wins are three of the OOC games and Vandy. All the rest, to me, are toss ups right now based on what we know. If the CSu game was in Oct or NOV, I would probably feel more confident, but 1st game on the road and only 2nd game of the year gives me pause.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 10:47:02 am
Only games I am circling as a loss are Bama and LSU. Only ones I am circling as wins are three of the OOC games and Vandy. All the rest, to me, are toss ups right now based on what we know. If the CSu game was in Oct or NOV, I would probably feel more confident, but 1st game on the road and only 2nd game of the year gives me pause.

CSU is losing a lot of starters and there are some assistants leaving along with their DC who is retiring. Even at CSU, that should be a Hog win.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 10:47:02 am

Auburn at Auburn is a toss up?  They bring almost everyone back.

TCU was a toss up. If Colorado State beats us we have serious problems. I agree it could happen. Biggest concern is our secondary.

Colorado State loses its QB and its leading rusher.  Together they produced almost 5000 yards of total offense and 38 TDs.  They lose their top receiver who had 94 catches for 1350 yards.

Arkansas won't lose to Colorado State.

HotlantaHog

Auburn, Alabama and LSU are likely/almost certain losses. I view Texas A&M and Mississippi State as tossups, maybe that is optimistic. Ole Miss, Mizzou and Vandy as likely wins.

If Hogs sweep the nonconference schedule, that would mean 7-5 at least with possible upside if things fall the right way. If any of the nonconference games proves surprisingly difficult, that would bring the total to 6-6.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 11, 2017, 11:00:28 am
Auburn at Auburn is a toss up?  They bring almost everyone back.

TCU was a toss up. If Colorado State beats us we have serious problems. I agree it could happen. Biggest concern is our secondary.

Colorado State loses its QB and its leading rusher.  Together they produced almost 5000 yards of total offense and 38 TDs.  They lose their top receiver who had 94 catches for 1350 yards.

Arkansas won't lose to Colorado State.

Only reason I did not list Auburn was because of the whole rivalry factor. Agree, on paper, it looks like a loss.

RT1941

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2017, 08:34:05 am
I keep seeing this but I wonder are we looking at the same roster. We lose 4 starters iirc on defense, and lose a couple on offense. Not a huge amount of attrition, so lots of starters back off a 4-8 team.
There will be experience on next years team, which will point to leadership and knowledge.  Get a top shelf S&C coach in here and it will do wonders for the 17 returning starters both physically and mentally.  Let CCM introduce his schemes and watch what happens.  These players need quality leadership and a clear path for success, they need a HC with energy and motivation. 

I'm excited as hell to see what this team can become!  WPS
RazorTusk!!!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 11, 2017, 11:47:06 am
Auburn, Alabama and LSU are likely/almost certain losses. I view Texas A&M and Mississippi State as tossups, maybe that is optimistic. Ole Miss, Mizzou and Vandy as likely wins.

If Hogs sweep the nonconference schedule, that would mean 7-5 at least with possible upside if things fall the right way. If any of the nonconference games proves surprisingly difficult, that would bring the total to 6-6.

Pretty much same here, though I'd add Mizzou to toss ups. That's where I get 6-8 wins, maybe 9. I think A&M and Mississippi State are more likely victories than Missouri. Surely Christian Kirk will declare, and Fisher is probably more of a Petrino to Bielema type transition that could take longer than what CCM will do at Arkansas. Dallas always gives the Hogs a chance. If Fitzgerald comes back it will be without Mullins, who is the genius behind that Tebo/Prescott/Fitzgerald offense. We get them late and that could be good for Arkansas.

Pig in the Pokey

Why on Earth would you need to temper expectations? What, are you afraid of? Are your feels exposed and that worries you? What would possibly be to gain but not wanting the best for your team?

#snowflakemodeactivate
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 11, 2017, 11:47:06 am

Who does LSU have coming back? Not much. All there best players are leaving and they have a career 25% winning coach. Why on Earth would ya'll concede that game?

HAVE SOME PRIDE , MEN
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

GuvHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 11, 2017, 12:56:26 pm
Who does LSU have coming back? Not much. All there best players are leaving and they have a career 25% winning coach. Why on Earth would ya'll concede that game?

HAVE SOME PRIDE , MEN

Good point. I'm not ready to call the LSU game a loss for the Hogs. Thias is the year I believe LSU will start to see the effect of Orgeron's recruiting. They lose their starting QB and the back up this year is a true Freshman who got far less playing time than Cole Kelly did and I believe Guice, their start RB, is gone too plus the game is in Fayetteville. I may change my mind later but for now, I'm calling it a toss up.

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on December 11, 2017, 01:37:59 pm
Good point. I'm not ready to call the LSU game a loss for the Hogs. Thias is the year I believe LSU will start to see the effect of Orgeron's recruiting. They lose their starting QB and the back up this year is a true Freshman who got far less playing time than Cole Kelly did and I believe Guice, their start RB, is gone too plus the game is in Fayetteville. I may change my mind later but for now, I'm calling it a toss up.

Maybe. Everyone said the same thing last year. LSU is always deep. But of the three we should lose, that one is most winnable.

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 11, 2017, 02:01:32 pm
Maybe. Everyone said the same thing last year. LSU is always deep. But of the three we should lose, that one is most winnable.

I didn't say that last year. I had LSU pegged as a loss because they had a senior starting QB, a stud RB, and they were an experienced team especially on defense. The team was still mostly made up of the Mad Hatter's recruits and the game was in Baton Rouge.

Next1_04

Let me start off by saying I've come to love the hire and will probably end up drunk from drinking the CCM koolaid. But I've seen people already saying 7-5 next year with the possibility to win 8 games with the bowl. If CCM does that with this team, he should be SEC coach of the year and in the running for national coach of the year.

This current team has talent no doubt. A few players have the potential to be elite. But this was the poorest coached Razorback team many of us have ever seen. Offense and defense was abysmal. Special teams was non existent. Not to mention, they were probably the slowest team in the SEC. Lack of speed everywhere.

CCM is now going to try and take that team along with incoming players and mold it into an explosive offense and attacking defense with a dangerous special teams as well.

I hope CCM does it and more but that is a tall TALL mountain to climb. Just don't know if I can expect much year 1.

I'm sure as hell not going to expect to lose. May just be me though.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 11, 2017, 12:56:26 pm

HAVE SOME PRIDE , MEN

No conceding, but generally because LSU has top 10-15 classes every year and typically stunningly good defenses. There is so much talent in Louisiana it's possible to win a lot of games even if your coach is an idiot.

HawgWyld

Let me start off by saying I’ve come to love the hire and will probably end up drunk from drinking the CCM koolaid. But I’ve seen people already saying 7-5 next year with the possibility to win 8 games with the bowl. If CCM does that with this team, he should be SEC coach of the year and in the running for national coach of the year.

I hope CCM does it and more but that is a tall TALL mountain to climb. Just don’t know if I can expect much year 1.

I do believe a lot of us are simply expecting better than what we saw under Bielema. That doesn't mean winning the SEC West, but it does mean something north of a 4-8 record...

HoggyCat

My expectations WILL be tempered if we get Chavis.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Maximus Tusk

Uhhhh....no. My expectations are to see dramatic improvement in fundamentals, effort, attitude, player development, player evaluation and recruitment. I do not and will not have some magic number that suggests failure if we don't get there. Plenty of time for that in the coming years.

LZH

Quote from: Switchback on December 11, 2017, 09:42:08 am
6 wins with this team then prepare yourselves for mediocrity at best during his tenure.  If he can win 8 regular season wins he has a bright future.

Expecting 8 wins from a slow team that runs a fast offense is asking an awful lot.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Maximus Tusk on December 12, 2017, 08:40:50 am
Uhhhh....no. My expectations are to see dramatic improvement in fundamentals, effort, attitude, player development, player evaluation and recruitment. I do not and will not have some magic number that suggests failure if we don't get there. Plenty of time for that in the coming years.

Voice in the wilderness.