Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can we get a real Special Teams coach now?

Started by bville_hog, December 07, 2017, 07:20:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bville_hog

What is his philosophy on special teams, if anyone asked?  I feel we leave so much on the table here every game.  Solid special teams could mean 3 or so more wins/year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bville_hog on December 07, 2017, 07:20:34 pm
What is his philosophy on special teams, if anyone asked?  I feel we leave so much on the table here every game.  Solid special teams could mean 3 or so more wins/year.

Based on what I heard from him (Morris), he focuses on ST's, just like any other aspect of the game. He said that games can be won or lost based on quality ST's play and it will be an emphasis under him. Now you never know until you have actually seen it put into action and see the results on the field. A lot of coaches say that and then don't follow through with enough emphasis to produce the result that they projected with their words. My hope is that he will truly do what he said he would do. At this point, I have no reason to doubt him.
Go Hogs Go!

Cambridge Hog

We at least know it will be MORE of a priority than the previous staff...

JONAS

He said that we were going to have great special teams when he was introduced to the team.

98hogs

Very True,  Last 5 years have been horrible

Großer Kriegschwein

Special Teams are one of the three phases of the game, of which, you must win two of them in order to be successful on Saturday.

Quote from: 98hogs on December 07, 2017, 07:59:46 pm
Very True,  Last 5 years have been horrible

It has been a recurring nightmare.
This is my non-signature signature.

hamsam

"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

M L (bassplayer)

I was glad to hear him emphasize special teams. We have lost many games in the last few years because we didn't seem to give them the attention they deserve.

Inhogswetrust

He was asked and he answered he would emphasize it but not sure whether he will have a dedicated ST only coach our delegate it to other coaches based on who he hires and what he decides is needed with the number of coaches allowed.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 07, 2017, 07:46:11 pm
Based on what I heard from him (Morris), he focuses on ST's, just like any other aspect of the game. He said that games can be won or lost based on quality ST's play and it will be an emphasis under him. Now you never know until you have actually seen it put into action and see the results on the field. A lot of coaches say that and then don't follow through with enough emphasis to produce the result that they projected with their words. My hope is that he will truly do what he said he would do. At this point, I have no reason to doubt him.

Kick off, punt, and both return teams are where those 5'8" to 5'11" lightening fast thick bodied stocky studs can earn their mettle.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Snout team

And hopefully it is someone who hates the sky kick
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 08, 2017, 06:57:27 am
He was asked and he answered he would emphasize it but not sure whether he will have a dedicated ST only coach our delegate it to other coaches based on who he hires and what he decides is needed with the number of coaches allowed.

With the tenth assistant being added this year I would hope we have an STC. I know Traylor was the TE/STC when he was at Texas, but at SMU Morris only had a Special Teams Analyst. Maybe the plan was to make that guy the tenth coach in 2018 at SMU.