Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big changes coming. SMU's oline....

Started by porque, December 07, 2017, 02:12:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

porque

is small.  They only have 3 300 pounders on the roster.  Only one of those plays much.

jst01

Honestly, how big do you really need to be?  If you are agile and quick footed, have a solid foundation and are strong as you can be, you can excel as an O-lineman at 300.  In this kind of offense, you really need to be able to move fast and just disrupt your assigned defensive player for maybe 2 seconds.  Some of the best offensive tackles I have seen are the ones that let the D's momentum do the work and they shift quick and just push the rusher past the pocket.  Our o-lineman last year tried too much power blocking against all SEC D tackles and they lost. 

Uncommon

outlawhogeywells

Maybe they could not attract the bigger agile linemen that SEC teams can attract

elksnort

One can over well over 300 lbs and still have good enough foot work to get the job done in any offense.

BroyledNutts

He's going to learn that he'll have to combine his love of speed with a fair amount of size or he'll get his lunch eaten by nearly every SEC defensive line.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Uncommon on December 07, 2017, 02:25:21 pm
So?  You an outfit tracker?

I see you're caught up with 'Curb' - well played.

Hog Fan...DOH!

I don't think some still grasp the athletic difference between an SEC program and, well, others.

rtr

He knows the SEC from Clemson.  They played Georgia, Auburn and LSU. Not to mention South Carolina.  Clemson is an SEC type program in the ACC.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: rtr on December 07, 2017, 02:36:52 pm
He knows the SEC from Clemson.  They played Georgia, Auburn and LSU. Not to mention South Carolina.  Clemson is an SEC type program in the ACC.

Absolutely.  Plus they had to recruit against those guys. 

Uncommon

December 07, 2017, 02:39:03 pm #10 Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:57:51 pm by Uncommon
Quote from: Busta_Nutt on December 07, 2017, 02:32:39 pm
I see you're caught up with 'Curb' - well played.
That and there is just nothing wrong with a pair of flip flops in Arkansas in winter.  These are mild conditions.  And he's simply grocery shopping for god's sake.  Didn't know we had to wear our Sunday best to get bread and milk nowadays.

AugustaHog

He wasn't getting those kinds of studs at SMU, regardless of his recruiting acumen.  It will be interesting to see if he can get them at Arkansas.  That and his DC hire are going to be the keys to how successful he will be both in the short and long-term.

elksnort

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 07, 2017, 02:32:34 pm
He's going to learn that he'll have to combine his love of speed with a fair amount of size or he'll get his lunch eaten by nearly every SEC defensive line.
See reply #6. I agree.

azhog10

Clemson OLine is what ours will look like. SMU has to settle for smaller while lineman. We should be able to get some of the bigger agile lineman.

zuko

Who's Kurt Anderson. There must be a lot of Kurt Andersons

zebradynasty

This^

In the SEC your OL can't be Big and Slow (like ours) small and quick ain't gonna cut it because the top SEC DL are large AND fast! I believe he had smaller OL's at SMU because that is all he could recruit. However, 325-345 lbs might not be able to keep up in his offense.

checkraiser88

Hard to recruit to SMU when the stadium is nearly empty every game

elksnort

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on December 07, 2017, 02:32:48 pm
I don't think some still grasp the athletic difference between an SEC program and, well, others.
Well, maybe the top of the SEC and others. Is the talent gap really THAT different?

Troy beat LSU this year and Louisiana--Monroe beat the hogs a few years back.

Bacons Rebellion

We better have bigger and better linemen than SMU to compete in the SEC.

Beaverfever

I think Morris's O-line will be smaller than the average SEC offensive line.  He needs guys that can handle a much quicker pace. 

ur

He needs to run off some dead weight so we can get at least 20 new scholarship players every year. 15-17 schollies is like being on probation. Then land some jc defensive players like miss state did last year. Plus some o linemen if it looks like these guys can't cut it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: elksnort on December 07, 2017, 02:43:13 pm
Well, maybe the top of the SEC and others. Is the talent gap really THAT different?

Yes.  It is.  Those are once every few years type wins for them.  Maybe longer.  The NFL draft every year shows the difference in the SEC and all others.  Even the gap between the SEC and the Big 12 has been huge lately. 

I hope we don't start to become Texas Tech - Fayetteville.  I'm going to have to trust Morris won't do that. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kicking Wing

Quote from: elksnort on December 07, 2017, 02:43:13 pm

CCU just moved up from FCs this year and they were able to compete as well.  You need guys who can pull and get in the way for the HUNH that Morris employs.  Running so many plays tends to wear on a fat boy too. 

NoogaHog

So, what did Clemson's O-line look like in 2013-14? Or maybe 2015, the season after CCM. Those were the recruits that were brought in for that system. That is what we should compare. They were not an elite program yet and "Clemsoning" was still a thing. I guess that is now called "Sumlining".
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

zebradynasty

As long as we can get them in around 290-310 lbs with quick feet they should be OK. That type of OL don't grow on trees even Texas don't turn them out in large quantities.

HogPharmer

Quote from: porque on December 07, 2017, 02:22:45 pm
As an aside, I saw Kurt Anderson in Harp's last weekend.  He looked horrible.  Was in sweatpants and flipflops and looked like he hadn't had a shower.  I think he has gained 80 lbs since he got here too.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

BroyledNutts

I would imagine much of the success of this new O line will depend on the O line coach ...

What do we know about him and his abilities?

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 07, 2017, 02:48:47 pm
I think Morris's O-line will be smaller than the average SEC offensive line.  He needs guys that can handle a much quicker pace. 
Nah.  He'll be able to get a better caliber player at Arkansas than he did at SMU.   Clemson doesn't have small linemen.  They ran his offense pretty well.  We may not have a bunch of 330lb guys but I bet we'll be right at 300lbs or close to it across the board.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Uncommon

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 07, 2017, 02:55:24 pm
I would imagine much of the success of this new O line will depend on the O line coach ...

What do we know about him and his abilities?
http://www.ponyuptempo.com/staff/dustin-fry

jkstock04

Quote from: porque on December 07, 2017, 02:12:15 pm
is small.  They only have 3 300 pounders on the roster.  Only one of those plays much.
Let's not assume everything is going to be exactly like at SMU. Per today's presser he stressed things about being a football coach and having to adapt to what best fits the players/personal around you.

Quote from: ur on December 07, 2017, 02:50:45 pm
He needs to run off some dead weight so we can get at least 20 new scholarship players every year. 15-17 schollies is like being on probation. Then land some jc defensive players like miss state did last year. Plus some o linemen if it looks like these guys can't cut it.
I see this happening. Just my opinion...but these guys have been coddled throughout the Bielema era and it shows on the field. Slow and out of shape. These guys are fixing to be in for a culture shock. Expect leaks to start coming out here in the next few months about "how bad things really were" under Bielema. The laid back, pat on the butt, we will skip conditioning today guys because you were all on time stuff is gonna be a thing of the past.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 07, 2017, 02:52:44 pm
Yes.  It is.  Those are once every few years type wins for them.  Maybe longer.  The NFL draft every year shows the difference in the SEC and all others.  Even the gap between the SEC and the Big 12 has been huge lately. 

I hope we don't start to become Texas Tech - Fayetteville.  I'm going to have to trust Morris won't do that. 

If he does that the conference will expose him and his stay here won't be a long one ...

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Uncommon on December 07, 2017, 02:56:45 pm
http://www.ponyuptempo.com/staff/dustin-fry

Thanks for the link ...

That didn't say much about his philosophy or abilities ... it did say he's been an O line coach for 3 years. Not much body of work to judge success or failure in the SEC.

pigatron

Would have been better just bringing HDN back.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: rtr on December 07, 2017, 02:36:52 pm
There is a difference in playing one SEC team, and playing a schedule loaded with SEC defenses.  Its a grind and the ACC is nothing like it. 

Hogindasticks

If the ball gets out of the pocket quickly...the size won't matter as much..positioning will be more of a factor than size.  Problem is, if the play takes too long to materialize..we all know what happens with undersized OL.

Grag T

More doesn't always equal better.  I remember against Rutgers our offensive line outweighed each opponent by 50-60 pounds...  and then our tubbies proceeded to get destroyed by those clowns.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

elksnort

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 07, 2017, 02:52:44 pm

Can't argue with the numbers. I bet most of those NFL guys came from Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida.
Well, you know this.
Also, Yeah, I am not wanting Arkansas to become a Big 12 type team either. I have a feeling they will if he does not land a really good DC who can at least have 3 or 4 play makers on defense like the 2014 Arkansas defense.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 07, 2017, 03:04:32 pm
If the ball gets out of the pocket quickly...the size won't matter as much..positioning will be more of a factor than size.  Problem is, if the play takes too long to materialize..we all know what happens with undersized OL.

...and his offensive schemes won't be facing AAC corners or LBers ... getting the ball out of the pocket quickly will have to mean slants and quick hits - laterals and quick outs will meet with equal speed on defense...and there's lots of length along SEC defensive lines - capable of swatting down passes and disrupting timing. His coaching ability will show in how he adjusts to all this new height, size, and speed.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: elksnort on December 07, 2017, 02:30:58 pm
One can over well over 300 lbs and still have good enough foot work to get the job done in any offense.

Auburn's entire roster of 20 OL averages 309 LB. each.

Morris has an SMU roster of 13 OL at 285 LB. each.

I don't even want to contemplate the speed comparison.

195bc

Quote from: porque on December 07, 2017, 02:12:15 pm

No, big changes are probably not coming, as far as the size of our OL. Morris had his best Clemson offense in 2012 (8th ranked offense), the linemen averaged the following: Centers (265 lbs, only two listed, one was a freshman at 245 lbs), Tackles (299 lbs), Guards (328 lbs), others classified as Offensive Linemen (300 lbs). Do you people ever get any facts before you post? That 2012 offensive line average 302.2 lbs.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Grag T on December 07, 2017, 03:05:08 pm
More doesn't always equal better.  I remember against Rutgers our offensive line outweighed each opponent by 50-60 pounds...  and then our tubbies proceeded to get destroyed by those clowns.

Yeah, we went too far to the other extreme ...size at the expense of speed or agility. Bama, Auburn, Georgia, and sometimes Florida exhibits the combination that needs to be found - size, but not sloppy size - speed, but not at the expense of size - and agility and intelligence in your position. Granted, the above teams usually achieve this with 5 star recruits, but it can be done with a good, REALLY GOOD, O line coach.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: elksnort on December 07, 2017, 03:09:06 pm
Can't argue with the numbers. I bet most of those NFL guys came from Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida.
Well, you know this.
Also, Yeah, I am not wanting Arkansas to become a Big 12 type team either. I have a feeling they will if he does not land a really good DC who can at least have 3 or 4 play makers on defense like the 2014 Arkansas defense.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/nfl-draft-picks-2017-most-selections-college-alabama-ohio-state-michigan-clemson/mrrpdzrcnust1p00owp6453ek

35 picks just from SECW last draft
Bama 10
LSU 8
A&M 5
AU 4
OM 4
Hogs 3
MSU 1

SEC had 12 first round picks
Bama 4
LSU 3
A&M 1
Tenn 1
Florida 1
Mizzou 1
OM 1

B1G 7
Pac 12 6
ACC 4
Big 12 1 - from Texas Tech
West Mich and Temple had 1 each too

You can take out Bama and the rest of the conference matches up with the other top conferences.  It goes to the discussions about what level we have to recruit including in the lines.  I was happy to hear Morris state it starts in the lines.  I was very disappointed in the lack of numbers BB signed in the oline. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

elksnort

Without waxing to much revisionist stuff, I think this new staff will do much better with the exiting talent. Yeah, yeah, I know. This is a "no darn" kind of comment.

Just from the press conference (I know it's just words), Morris seems like an anal retentive task master. I seems like this past Razorback team was a little sloppy, chubby and lazy. Maybe I am wrong. I will say that Morris told them right off the bat to sit up, put your feet down and pay attention. Talent is certainly huge. Maybe the most important, but coaching (and this entails a lot) is important also.

farmhawg

Quote from: pigatron on December 07, 2017, 02:59:50 pm
Would have been better just bringing HDN back.
Yep, cause he was an offensive genius.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Arkwhaler

steveaustin69

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 07, 2017, 03:09:20 pm
...and his offensive schemes won't be facing AAC corners or LBers ... getting the ball out of the pocket quickly will have to mean slants and quick hits - laterals and quick outs will meet with equal speed on defense...and there's lots of length along SEC defensive lines - capable of swatting down passes and disrupting timing. His coaching ability will show in how he adjusts to all this new height, size, and speed.

He's coached at Clemson............................I think there's plenty of athletic ability and size in their opponents.

steveaustin69

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 07, 2017, 03:02:46 pm
There is a difference in playing one SEC team, and playing a schedule loaded with SEC defenses.  Its a grind and the ACC is nothing like it.

Arkansas was an SEC defense last year. Couldn't stop a nose bleed. Can the "SEC is leaps and bounds above everyone else" narrative stop? Five years ago? Most definitely. Now? Maybe at the top, but top to bottom not so much. 

Look at A&M; consistently have some FREAKS on defense. Is there defense instilling fear in their opponents? I'd argue not. 

WaltonCollege