Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do we have the QB?

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, December 07, 2017, 01:53:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

Quote from: GolfHog on December 07, 2017, 02:01:45 pm
Kelly was another Bielema bungle, he was going nowhere. Look for a quick transfer. Morris will let him know early, time to move on.

Ya know, for all the "Allen brothers only started because of their daddy" nonsense we got for five years, every time a non-Allen quarterback took meaningful snaps, this was the response.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 08, 2017, 08:04:23 am
Short of a Patterson-type transfer I expect Kelley to start. I would like to see Rafe Peavey back as a Grad Transfer. It would be good to have a Senior leader who knows the offense to push these guys in the Spring and during the Summer workouts. If he's never more than the backup it would be worth having him on the team. If Storey is transferring out as reported we won't have any upper classmen in the QB group.

What's the deal with peavey?  He couldn't even get on the field at SMU. If he is our hopes we are really screwed. Will a 6 foot 200 pound qb survive behind our line? There is a reason the kid doesnt  play. Cole kelley is a much better option in my opinion.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: ipigsooie on December 08, 2017, 01:38:45 pm
What's the deal with peavey?  He couldn't even get on the field at SMU. If he is our hopes we are really screwed. Will a 6 foot 200 pound qb survive behind our line? There is a reason the kid doesnt  play. Cole kelley is a much better option in my opinion.

Did you read what I wrote? I don't think he would start. I think he would be a senior in a meeting room full of freshmen and a sophomore, with added benefit of having been in this offense for a couple of years.

Tyro3

Quote from: JONAS on December 08, 2017, 01:08:11 pm
Would love for him to transfer here.

Can't transfer to another sec team.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 08, 2017, 01:44:20 pm
Did you read what I wrote? I don't think he would start. I think he would be a senior in a meeting room full of freshmen and a sophomore, with added benefit of having been in this offense for a couple of years.

So....youd offer the kid a scholarship for that? We are already low on offers we can make this year. I wouldn't think peavey would be a better offer than some other positions. Just my opinion.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Tyro3 on December 08, 2017, 01:47:02 pm
Can't transfer to another sec team.

They can if they apply for a waiver from the sec .  Ole miss lifted all of their restrictions. 

AHorseWithNoName

Quote from: HornetHog on December 08, 2017, 12:01:41 pm
Here are three QBs that could all work at Arkansas -
Steven Frank - Current  Butler JUCO available to transfer in May
Drake Davis - #1Ranked QB in Illinois - Only 6'1 but plays like he's 6'6" 2018 kid - Available this Summer
Justin Blake - Western Iowa JUCO - Will be the best JUCO QB in the county this coming year. Will be available to transfer Christmas of next Winter.

Plays like he's 6'6"?   What?  Are you talking about basketball recruits here?  I've never heard anyone say that about a QB in my life!  How does that even make sense?
"A man on a horse is spiritually, as well as physically, bigger than a man on foot." — John Steinbeck

redleg

Quote from: redleg on December 08, 2017, 10:58:41 am
Cole Kelley can run this offense, and run it very well. Looking at SMU's stats from the 2017 season, their starting QB, Ben Hicks (6'1" 203 lbs), put up big numbers passing (3442, 32 TD, 9 int), but meager numbers rushing (47 att, 79 yds, 1 TD). I see no reason why Steamboat Kelley can't do as well or better.
Brandon and Austin were good QBs. But they are both gone now, so it is pointless to speculate about them.
What I said above is fact (as far as the stats go). I can easily see Kelley quarterbacking this team for the next 2-3 years. His size, arm strength, durability, and the fact that he can run, makes him a good fit for Morris' offense. Kelley will need to work on learning the new offense, accuracy, and footwork, but he has the size and the tools to be a solid SEC starting quarterback for Arkansas.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

HornetHog

Quote from: AHorseWithNoName on December 08, 2017, 01:59:48 pm
Plays like he's 6'6"?   What?  Are you talking about basketball recruits here?  I've never heard anyone say that about a QB in my life!  How does that even make sense?
If you don't know what I am referring to, well I am sorry I really can't answer that for you,...maybe you could go ask 5'11-DREW BREES  OR  5'10 CHASE DANIALS   OR   5'10, RUSSEL WILSON.  Those guys all play 6'6"....just sayin
Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

H&D

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 07, 2017, 08:24:08 pm
Ty Storey

Earned Farm Bureau Insurance 3A Offensive Player of the Year and the Arkansas Democrat Gazette's Outstanding Player of the Year ... Finished his senior season completing 294 of 447 passes (65.7 percent), for 4,159 yards and 53 touchdowns while adding 724 rushing yards and 20 rushing touchdowns ...

He was a 6A/7A talent playing 3A kids. Big fish, small pond. Even their out of conference schedule was a joke.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

HamGrowsOnTrees

I honestly see nothing but good things for Kelley in morris's Offense. His off the field decision making bothers me because That usually translates to poor decisions on the field as well.

But can CK run this offense? Yes and easily. And probably can do it very well.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: HornetHog on December 08, 2017, 12:09:48 pm

No, I don't think they had their jobs because Bobby was around. They looked the best QBs we had at the time.

There is a reason we have a new AD and new Head Coach, and all these fine young coaches have to move and find new jobs.  When you don't recruit the correct quarterbacks, the 3 and outs won't stop coming and everybody wants to blame the O-line, Def, coaches, AD.  If you recruit winning QBs who know how to win (Baker Mayfield as a example - Not very big, had to walk-on, just wants to win),..that's  when everybody looks like geniuses. Coaches, AD's, O-Line, Def, Specialty Team, Cheerleaders...(they look good anyway.)
The reason is because the head coach didn't get it done, in a variety of ways. The biggest to me, was when Pittman left after 2015, and the O-line fell apart.
B Allen was a 3-star QB and by his 5th year was playing like an All-American. 5th year seniors do that sometimes.
A Allen was a 4-star QB and waited his turn, then had an awesome junior year even while taking a pounding. This year the pounding caught up to him.

I've seen enough of those guys and the other QBs to know the right QB was playing, It also proves the old adage 'no one is more popular than the backup QB'.

I refuse to blame the QB for Bret Bielema's overall failures. We're talking about the guy who left B Allen in the game vs Missouri in 2014 when he could barely lift his arm, much less complete a pass. I'm not saying he was trying to hurt the guy, but making the point 'what kind of curious decision was that?' The guy is hurt and ineffective---get him out. I was at that game.

One example of an overall body of curious decisions is what led Bielema to being replaced.