Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Terry Don Phillips (Clemson lean)

Started by Lady Razorback, December 07, 2017, 10:09:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Razorback

Of course he had something to do with this.  I never forgot and now will never forget my dad telling me that one day Terry Don Phillips would impact our football program.  At the time he thought it was an AD succeeding Frank Broyles.  Now I see how it had always been meant to play out.  My dad has Alzheimer's now, but I will tell him every day from now on how right he was. 

hobhog

farmhawg

Quote from: Lady Razorback on December 07, 2017, 10:09:10 am
Of course he had something to do with this.  I never forgot and now will never forget my dad telling me that one day Terry Don Phillips would impact our football program.  At the time he thought it was an AD succeeding Frank Broyles.  Now I see how it had always been meant to play out.  My dad has Alzheimer's now, but I will tell him every day from now on how right he was. 
Sorry to hea4 about your dad, we are in the same boat.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

BR

Julie Cromer Peoples: I reached out to Terry Don Phillips. He expressed his confidence in Chad's coaching ability, and his belief that he would be a great fit at Arkansas.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

HotlantaHog

Quote from: BR on December 07, 2017, 03:14:29 pm
Julie Cromer Peoples: I reached out to Terry Don Phillips. He expressed his confidence in Chad's coaching ability, and his belief that he would be a great fit at Arkansas.
Terry Don Phillips was the genius who hired Dabo was everyone though it was the craziest move ever.

PorkSoda

that's nice and all, but what do you expect him to say?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

jgphillips3

Along with failing to hire Jimmy Johnson, not getting Terry Don to succeed Broyle's will go down as one of our worst hiring mistakes.  Great man...great Razorback.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 03:19:24 pm

Whatever his honest opinion is.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 07, 2017, 04:07:15 pm
Whatever his honest opinion is.
I don't expect professionals to talk bad about each other.

in fact I'm pretty sure doing so can land someone in legal trouble.

not saying he is lying, but its nothing more than being polite.

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 04:11:46 pm

Terry Don is retired so he can say pretty much whatever he wants to.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

You need someone with a killer backhand in your life...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 04:11:46 pm

Dude, just stop.

bp

DoctorSusscrofa

Those who know Terry Don know he wouldn't "just be polite" when it comes to the future of the Hogs. If he said Morris was a good fit, he meant it.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

longtimeHogfan

If he didn't believe it I think he'd advised her to keep looking.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

hawgwash

Could've been like Eisenhower when he was asked to name the accomplishments of his VP, Richard Nixon.  Eisenhower said give me a couple of weeks and I'll think of something.

Hogtimes

Quote from: GuvHog on December 07, 2017, 04:23:30 pm
Terry Don is retired so he can say pretty much whatever he wants to.

I believe you can be held libel if you say something that may prevent someone from getting a job.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 07, 2017, 05:47:17 pm
I believe you can be held libel if you say something that may prevent someone from getting a job.

So you just told people that the former employees were awesome?

Come on, you don't HAVE to give someone a glowing endorsement.  And you can say quite a lot without saying anything particularly bad.

PorkSoda

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on December 07, 2017, 04:26:55 pm
Those who know Terry Don know he wouldn't "just be polite" when it comes to the future of the Hogs. If he said Morris was a good fit, he meant it.
fair enough.  I hope he is right.

Porkette

In the post-PC interview stickied above, Morris also mentions how Terry Don Phillips would talk about Razorback football all the time, so that in turn probably put this program and its history and tradition more at the forefront of Morris's mind than it would  otherwise be. It kind of worked both ways. I think this will always be an interesting thing to remember if he becomes a successful coach here.
GO HOGS GO!

Inhogswetrust

December 07, 2017, 06:05:48 pm #19 Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:15:11 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 07, 2017, 03:17:18 pm
Terry Don Phillips was the genius who hired Dabo was everyone though it was the craziest move ever.

It did look like that from the outside looking in at the time. The thing is though those looking in from the outside didn't see what Terry Don saw on a daily basis. It still was a big gamble on his part and good for him it worked out.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Birminghog

Quote from: farmhawg on December 07, 2017, 01:31:52 pm
Sorry to hea4 about your dad, we are in the same boat.

Sorry to hear it, farm, prayers for you and Lady R's dad.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: Birminghog on December 07, 2017, 06:18:12 pm
Sorry to hear it, farm, prayers for you and Lady R's dad.

Thank you both for the prayers, and farm, I will keep you, your dad and family in my prayers!  I grew up going to Razorback football games with my Dad from the time I was 12 until I was a student at the U of A.  We have always shared this passion for all things Razorback.  He can't remember any of that any more but I still talk to him about all of it. 

Hogtimes

Quote from: DukeOfPork on December 07, 2017, 05:51:09 pm
So you just told people that the former employees were awesome?

Come on, you don't HAVE to give someone a glowing endorsement.  And you can say quite a lot without saying anything particularly bad.

Did you read the post that I responded too?   Obviously not, since your post in no way relates to what I said..

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Hired Les Miles at ok st. too if I remember correctly.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

jvanhorn

Quote from: BR on December 07, 2017, 03:14:29 pm
Julie Cromer Peoples: I reached out to Terry Don Phillips. He expressed his confidence in Chad’s coaching ability, and his belief that he would be a great fit at Arkansas.

This is one smart woman.  We definitely need to make sure she stays around.  She talked to the one person I would have listened to.

jvanhorn

LOL, someone else that hasn't bothered to read the constitution or the bill of rights past, gonna get me a gun.

M L (bassplayer)

Boom. This. ^^^^^

jcbville

Terry Don definitely is involved. He keeps preaching that Arkansas can be Clemson if Arkansas commits to the vision. Some of what CCM has been saying comparing the 2 comes from Terry Don Phillips.

Sooiepride

Quote from: Lady Razorback on December 07, 2017, 10:09:10 am

Good thread and a cool story - thanks for sharing. My Grandpa had Alzheimers for right at 9 years before he passed away. It hurts to see someone that you love going through that.  Sometimes, when we least expected it, his head would briefly clear and he would kinda be himself.  You are doing the right thing by talking with him.  Prayers for you and your family.
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

HotlantaHog

It was a private conversation. Terry Don Phillips could have easily said, ok, here are his three biggest strengths and here are his three biggest weaknesses. No libel involved, even if the conversation became public. Or he could say, hire him now -- stop your search, he is going to be one of the top three coaches in America in five years...

It sounds like he gave a pretty enthusiastic endorsement. He didn't have to do that.

Bash

Not if you are just expressing an opinion.  If you intentionally lie about someone and know it is a lie, then maybe.  You can say, "that dude is an awful coach" - that's an opinion.  If you say, "he has a serious gambling problem" and you know for a fact that he doesn't and it can be proven that you knew for a fact he didn't have a gambling problem, then maybe.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

Bacons Rebellion

TDP could have given him an endorsement such as: "He's a good coach. He should certainly be one of many you consider."

But he didn't.

mr_v8horsepower

If you ever witnessed Terry Don and big brother Loyd play defensive tackle for the Razorbacks like I did, you would give him respect and refer to him as Mister. These boys were the best defense along with Joe Black that I ever saw at UA.