Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gus Played a Long Con

Started by Razorbackers, December 04, 2017, 08:29:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MaconBacon

If ANYONE thinks that a coach is going to make a decision in the interest of the University of ANYWHERE, you're sorely mistaken.   We will be darn lucky to pull Norvell at this point.  Money is not an issue, marketability of our school is.  The Chancellor lost this round and Long won it.  This is an embarrassment and you would think the school would be smarter at this point and quit playing the Hooker with the golden heart, because that is how we're seen outside the NWA zone where reality is non-existent.

nolt

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 04, 2017, 09:48:14 am
It's because they can't spell Malzahn.

Haha you got me... I guess I'll just has to use 'Guss'

lstewart

Gus was basically Kevin Sumlin at A&M this year. A decent coach who has had several luke-warm seasons, and was going to get fired if he did not have a better year.  After blowing the 20 point lead to LSU and picking up their second loss, it looked likely he was on his way out. Of course collecting as much, or a better salary from Arkansas would sound great at that point. But Auburn got hot, started playing very well, and that's where things are today. Gus probably thinks he has a team coming back that he has a shot to win it all with next year. I'm sure he would have been happy to be here if they would have lost the first game to Georgia, and the Bama game. He could have been solid for the Hogs, but there are others out there that can do as well, or maybe better. Just made for an entertaining few days... in the big picture, we can be in better shape down the line.

Mr Jade

Quote from: MaconBacon on December 04, 2017, 11:06:12 am
If ANYONE thinks that a coach is going to make a decision in the interest of the University of ANYWHERE, you're sorely mistaken.   We will be darn lucky to pull Norvell at this point.  Money is not an issue, marketability of our school is.  The Chancellor lost this round and Long won it.  This is an embarrassment and you would think the school would be smarter at this point and quit playing the Hooker with the golden heart, because that is how we're seen outside the NWA zone where reality is non-existent.

I don't see how we lost all marketability beyond our dreadful on field performance the last few years. We offered a big salary to a coach, he refused. With Tennessee and Ole Miss around, we don't look anywhere near their level. We are fine. With Florida and TAMU jobs' gone, Arkansas doesn't look like a bad place to be. Heck, we gave an awful coach 5 years, that's gotta say something to a prospect about us not having an itchy trigger finger.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

SemperHawg

Quote from: Mr Jade on December 04, 2017, 11:13:50 am
I don't see how we lost all marketability beyond our dreadful on field performance the last few years. We offered a big salary to a coach, he refused. With Tennessee and Ole Miss around, we don't look anywhere near their level. We are fine. With Florida and TAMU jobs' gone, Arkansas doesn't look like a bad place to be. Heck, we gave an awful coach 5 years, and 30 Million dollars that's gotta say something to a prospect about us not having an itchy trigger finger.
FIFY

LRHawg

It's win/win for me. He exposed the Gus Bus'ers both on here and on the hill, cost Auburn a ton of money and more importantly, he's married to them for a while now. He'll need another developed QB to keep his success going.

It also got Long removed and CBB was going to be let go one way or another, giving us a fresh start. I had hoped we would go after Venebles or Kiffin, looks like at least one of these is still in play. I also figured Scanlon would LEAP at the chance to take the AD spot, however looks like family has overridden that job opportunity, which can happen.

We finally have exposed Gus for what he is, and for that I am grateful. In the end, we are only out a few days time.

buldozer

The UofA is like charlie brown trying to kick that football..... they always end up flat on their backs wondering what happened after their candidate slips away with a big raise or what they think is a better job

Tequilin' Time

we played them all.    Forced Auburn to dip into their "recruiting budget"  to pay Gus.   we dodge a bullet and they have less money to pay players.

Win Win

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: nolt on December 04, 2017, 08:57:23 am
What is the play called if it's a direct snap to Sexton and he fakes it to Malzan but then play action passes it to Norvell?
it's called pass incomplete because if that is what happened, Norvell can consider himself screwed on the altar of the Great Gus Malzahn....if this is true, ANYONE but Norvell...tired of getting played by Sexton....what our administration needs to do is call the Memphis AD and tell him we are no longer interested and absolutely will not offer Norvell a contract...let Norvell and his corn rows get a bit tighter on his head because UT will not tender him an offer and you can book that
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ronmahony

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 04, 2017, 08:55:43 am
Gus didn't con us, Sexton did and still is. From what I understand, Sexton is also Norvells agent. Norvell is using Arkansas to get 2 of his clients what they want. A raise for Malzahn and a better job/raise for Norvell

I saw that somewhere the other day and I was thinking, that should be plum illegal. That guy has way too many clients!
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

247Hog

Anyone been to AU boards to see what they think about paying GM that money?
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

snoblind

Quote from: Hoggin in NYC on December 04, 2017, 11:29:25 am
we played them all.    Forced Auburn to dip into their "recruiting budget"  to pay Gus.   we dodge a bullet and they have less money to pay players.

Win Win

Let's talk about something important.  is that you in your avatar with the ladies?

ronmahony

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 04, 2017, 09:33:37 am
I was disappointed when Gus didn't come when we hired BB.  I'm glad he wasn't hired this time around. 

1.  Like it or not, he's been at it awhile.  I felt like him "coming home to roost" would lead to complacency, and what better place to come collect a big paycheck for 5 years and half-ass it?  "Yeah, I wanted it to work at Arkansas, but we just weren't able to get the athletes in that we needed to compete."  He could fail in epic fashion, and ride off into the sunset millions richer. 

2.  His style of play has been copied, improved, and adapted to.  It's not unique any longer, and yes...if you have great athletes with experience, and you can execute precisely, you can beat a lot of people.  BUT...I think defensive coaches have come up with ways to combat it pretty effectively.  I think we'll see his success diminish over time now...his "hey day" is over. 

3.  Divisive.  Like it or not, there are some harbored ill feelings about what happened with the Springdale 5, UA, and him.  He's not completely innocent in that whole deal, because he chose to better himself rather than stand up for the players who were being jerked around by the ego-maniacal HDN.  If things weren't rolling by year three, we could easily see empty stands again...i not sooner. 

4.  QB necessity.  We all know it...his system lives and dies by a QB who can run, take punishment, and be a difference maker.  Anything less than that...and they look very pedestrian and at times...like they live up to the "high school" moniker. 

I think it's good that he didn't come.  I really do.  We JUST SAW what a team that's at full strength, with a strong defensive plan, can do to GM's offense.  I know...Carryon wasn't at full strength...but has one hurt RB ever hurt Bama or the other big boys? 

He sort of got lucky that Bama was playing a lot of second string players, and he got UGA the first time, because they were flat and worn out.  What did he do this season that HDN didn't do?  Get to the SECCG...and lose.  And...he did that with perennial top 10 recruiting classes.  If that's the cap...then is that the answer?       

I agree with number three. That right there is why I never wanted him. To ride in here on the backs of those kids, Mitch said he thought of him as the father that he didn't have, and to see and know the kind of crap Nutt and his crew were pulling, especially to Mitch, and never say a word to anybody about it, was beyond pathetic. He got what he wanted, he got his foot in the door, and when it got too hot he skipped off to Tulsa.

People coming on here talking about how he got treated so bad by Arkansas, Bull we should have tarred and feathered his ass and ran him out on a rail. I was very relieved to hear he was staying at Auburn. I would much rather we find a good coach that actually does care about the program and the kids. As far as the O. P. well thought out post, only problem I have with it is, Gus ain't that smart! Had to have been Sexton.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

lechon

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: lechon on December 04, 2017, 01:09:38 pm
He is still coming

Yeah..when we play Auburn in FV, or maybe to come give a guest lecture at Cross Church or something like that.   ;)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: root_hawg on December 04, 2017, 09:09:44 am
$50 million to coach Arkansas or
$50 million to coach Auburn ...

which one you taking?

Auburn ... easier to recruit and better name recognition. 
50 million to rebuild us or 50 million to be one game from playoff. Which one does anybody take?
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy