Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Per Trey Biddy...

Started by Busta_Nutt, November 29, 2017, 12:51:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: GuvHog on November 29, 2017, 01:29:59 pm
Sure they would. It would be more of an intentional LEAK than an official announcement.
Why on earth do you think that the university would want to leave a trail of names that turned them down?

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: GuvHog on November 29, 2017, 01:25:42 pm
They would however, announce that Gus is no longer a candidate and they are moving on.

who's your source GUV?

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: isavedjazz on November 29, 2017, 01:27:26 pm
Why don't you people get it? YOU LOSE NOTHING BY PITCHING GUS MALZAHN YOUR BEST OFFER. It would be stupid not to try.

The worst that can happen is he says no and you move on and hire someone who will do significantly better than what we've seen in the last 5 years.

Sexton is using the Arkansas job to help Gus's position on the plains and Arkansas is willingly cooperating. 

Arkansas quietly but on the record contacts Gus sometime after the SECCG and gives him a brief time to reject the offer which he does.  This is due dilligence to bring the Gus bus crowd along to buy in the next day hiring announcement on Norvell.

It doesn't take a scientific rocket to puzzle this one out.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on November 29, 2017, 04:36:31 pm
Sexton is using the Arkansas job to help Gus's position on the plains and Arkansas is willingly cooperating. 

Arkansas quietly but on the record contacts Gus sometime after the SECCG and gives him a brief time to reject the offer which he does.  This is due dilligence to bring the Gus bus crowd along to buy in the next day hiring announcement on Norvell.

only one problem with your argument

he does not want to stay at Auburn

HyperDrive

^^^ Gets it.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on November 29, 2017, 04:39:02 pm

i dont think they are giving him a choice. They are using their, umm, "leverage" on him. He is coach of the dirtiest program in the SEC...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BILLYBOB on November 29, 2017, 01:08:47 pm
Yes. Because we certainly wouldn't want a 52-year old, Arkansas-born coach who's current team has beat two #1 ranked SEC teams and has his program in position to win a national championship. We don't want that.

Of course not.  Why in the world would Arkansas want to break the string of letting all of our great coaches coaches go to have a stellar career somewhere else besides Arkansas, like Bear Bryant, Fred Akers, Jimmy Johnson, and Barry Switzer?

It would be stupid to change that scheme.  I would much rather watch Malzahn win a national championship at Auburn than at Arkansas.

HyperDrive

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on November 29, 2017, 04:39:02 pm

Vast overstatement.  He was frustrated after last year and earlier this year that he was considered by some to be on the "hot seat."  He and his wife both like Auburn.  A lot.

HF#1

Quote from: HyperDrive on November 29, 2017, 04:42:07 pm
Vast overstatement.  He was frustrated after last year and earlier this year that he was considered by some to be on the "hot seat."  He and his wife both like Auburn.  A lot.

I suppose we will see.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HyperDrive

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 29, 2017, 04:40:07 pm
i dont think they are giving him a choice. They are using their, umm, "leverage" on him. He is coach of the dirtiest program in the SEC...

Ah, the return of the "Auburn cheats" excuses for Arkansas underperforming. 

HF#1

Quote from: HyperDrive on November 29, 2017, 04:39:34 pm
^^^ Gets it.

We aren't being used as leverage. He already has a concrete offer. It's a yes or no deal.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

outlawhogeywells

I know is wife hates it down there

Wildhog

Quote from: HyperDrive on November 29, 2017, 04:43:20 pm

Auburn does cheat, regardless of Arkansas' success or lack thereof.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: HF#1 on November 29, 2017, 04:43:32 pm
We aren't being used as leverage. He already has a concrete offer. It's a yes or no deal.

yep

TexasRazorback

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on November 29, 2017, 12:51:09 pm
Source says Malzahn to announce he's taking an extension at Auburn.

Shifting the focus away from Malzahn - it sounds like Norvell, Morris, Venables, and Kiffin are the ones who will be getting the attention from here on. Personally, I'm fine with any of the four. Venables would be my biggest question mark, simply because the offensive scheme will be unknown.

Sources say Gruden to coach at Arkansas....See I can do it too

RazorNick

TexasRazorback

Quote from: RazorNick on November 29, 2017, 04:53:33 pm
Arkansas St. better than us?

Sure dont see the Hogs up there haha

RazorNick

Quote from: TexasRazorback on November 29, 2017, 04:55:18 pm
Sure dont see the Hogs up there haha

They are way ahead of us offensively and defensively

Busta_Nutt

Paul

Those aren't mutually exclusive events:  He could have felt his seat getting hotter after the LSU game, contacted his peeps in NWArk to have a fallback & now will be offered a raise & extension.  He can say no & still have been leveraging our interest.

HyperDrive

It's a "yes or no" deal for you.  For Sexton, it's leverage for the best deal he can get for Gus out of Auburn.

So yes, you are being used as leverage, regardless of how serious the offer is from your end.

HyperDrive

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The NewEra on November 29, 2017, 01:14:24 pm
I'm not believing anything until it's confirmed by an administration official with Auburn or Arkansas.

What would we say?

The NewEra

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 29, 2017, 05:23:01 pm
What would we say?

One of the two will say, "we've struck a deal".   Some people on here are very slow or intentionally overlook what they read.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on November 29, 2017, 04:45:23 pm
yep

A yes or no deal can still be used a leverage, in fact even more-so.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HyperDrive on November 29, 2017, 05:06:24 pm
It's a "yes or no" deal for you.  For Sexton, it's leverage for the best deal he can get for Gus out of Auburn and Norvell out of Arkansas and Kiffin out of Tennessee and of whoever he places at Memphis.

So yes, you are being used as leverage, regardless of how serious the offer is from your end.
fify
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

bob slydell

Quote from: HyperDrive on November 29, 2017, 05:06:24 pm
It's a "yes or no" deal for you.  For Sexton, it's leverage for the best deal he can get for Gus out of Auburn.

What's the downside of making Aubbie overpay?
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 29, 2017, 01:10:59 pm
with Auburn's 5*s, baw.

Ill take that #1 offense at Memphis.

Against local high schools isn't going to cut it.

HyperDrive

Quote from: Bob Slydell on November 29, 2017, 05:43:13 pm

You're not really.  Mullen is making $6.1 million at Florida having never won so much as a division title at MSU.  He set the market and Gus will make significantly north of that regardless from Auburn.  It's not like we're going to be strapped for cash.

bob slydell

Quote from: HyperDrive on November 29, 2017, 05:52:54 pm
You're not really.  Mullen is making $6.1 million at Florida having never won so much as a division title at MSU.  He set the market and Gus will make significantly north of that regardless from Auburn.  It's not like we're going to be strapped for cash.

If we are being used as leverage, would that not by definition mean that would cause Aubbie to have to pay more than they would if Gus didn't have leverage?  What's the downside of making them pay more than they normally would have to?  If they aren't, then that really is crappy leverage.

HyperDrive

Quote from: Bob Slydell on November 29, 2017, 06:26:10 pm
If we are being used as leverage, would that not by definition mean that would cause Aubbie to have to pay more than they would if Gus didn't have leverage?  What's the downside of making them pay more than they normally would have to?  If they aren't, then that really is crappy leverage.

What I'm saying is, yes you're leverage, yes we'll pay more, but no it won't be enough to make any difference as far as you or any of our rivals are concerned.

The downside is, you look delusional.

tusksincolorado

They can stay....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: HyperDrive on November 29, 2017, 04:43:20 pm

Totally agree...you whooped us! But this will force your hand to pay Gus "Saban money" or more, with a guarantee buyout.

Pay the devil my boy....

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Bob Slydell on November 29, 2017, 05:43:13 pm
That is a plus. But it is small comfort in this oh so public fiasco, especially if we pass on Lane Kiffin and hire one of the unproven lower tier coaches mentioned.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: HyperDrive on November 29, 2017, 06:39:49 pm
What I'm saying is, yes you're leverage, yes we'll pay more, but no it won't be enough to make any difference as far as you or any of our rivals are concerned.

The downside for you is you look like "johns" at the Bunny Ranch.

Scott7703

Quote from: HyperDrive on November 29, 2017, 05:06:55 pm
You don't know anything.

He's actually right. Unless they are lying to there own family.

I'm not saying Gus is coming but what said is spot on.

hoglady

Yes. Because we certainly wouldn’t want a 52-year old, Arkansas-born coach who’s current team has beat two #1 ranked SEC teams and has his program in position to win a national championship. We don’t want that.

No kidding.
And I've never been a Gus fan BUT he's so far ahead in experience and accomplishment than anyone else mentioned it's not funny.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

grayhawg

Has he signed?

(notOM)Rebel123

Yes. Because we certainly wouldn't want a 52-year old, Arkansas-born coach who's current team has beat two #1 ranked SEC teams and has his program in position to win a national championship. We don't want that.

Is there an Arkansas-born coach on our radar? ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

regi

Could not disagree more,  now,  Sexton  is a guy who thinks ahead,  so not sure what his angle is currently, but he has one.  The one guy,  who would back Gus,  and he was spotty,  is Jay Jacobs who is a lame Duck,  with no real influence left.  Mike Irwin,  is not the only one who will tell you,  Gus is not happy there,  AU in general, is not all in on Gus,  they do not see him as a Coach who gives them an advantage on Game-day.  He was forced to give up play calling,  and essentially had his current OC forced on him.  The over the top hype of Jeremy Johnson,  along with their 7-6 season,  soured a large portion of their fan base.  So he may return to AU,  but he doesn't want to. If not Arkansas,  I would not be shocked,  if he is at FSU next year.  I also think they lose Saturday,  Georgia is healthier.  If they lose,  it will not be pretty for Gus down there.

menehune

We look delusional?  For offering the guy who has said for YEARS Arkansas is his dream job? 

You guys are the ones who are NUTS!  One minute you hate him and want him fired and the next you want to pay him buttloads of money to keep him.  Y'all aren't just fickle... y'all are manic-depressive! 

Personally, I don't want your coach...keep him, but don't come here and tell us how delusional we are when y'all have a major split-personality!

HogKong

This is exactly what I was saying last week when the rumor went from non-existent in the national media to just about every website and blogger writing a story about it...all within 24 hours! That doesn't just happen unless someone is intentionally putting it out there to make sure it "known".

Without having any inside information it sounds pretty clear what and how this all transpired. I believe what most have said on here about Gus initially reaching out to us to let us know he was interested...because when he was on the hot seat I believe he was interested. However, once he beat georgia and then Alabama it became clear the rumors were so widely known in order to gain leverage for him with Auburn. This is also why he hasn't denied the rumors either because if he did he would lose leverage with Auburn. I do believe if for some reason Auburn does not give him what he wants/deserves there is a chance he would take the Arkansas job if we are willing to meet the demands and Auburn isn't. But only then.....playing it this way for him gives him the best opportunity to get what he is looking for. But don't be deceived, Auburn will be in the driver seat to keep him as coach....it's only if they do not choose to pay him what he wants along with the extension he wants, that he would then accept the Arkansas job.

For Gus he is playing this perfectly even if it the initial Contact with us was not intended for leverage.

HyperDrive

Quote from: menehune on November 29, 2017, 07:07:02 pm
We look delusional?  For offering the guy who has said for YEARS Arkansas is his dream job? 

For not tempering that with some realism.  For not seeing that "my dream job" is not the deciding factor.  For not understanding that it was dependent upon circumstances - namely his job being in jeopardy earlier and that no longer being the case. 

Wooderson

Quote from: HyperDrive on November 29, 2017, 08:04:36 pm
For not tempering that with some realism.  For not seeing that "my dream job" is not the deciding factor.  For not understanding that it was dependent upon circumstances - namely his job being in jeopardy earlier and that no longer being the case. 

There are other circumstances that you are obviously not aware of that has to do with family.  Not just being close to family.  Sometimes there is a certain time where you need to be close to family.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

HyperDrive

Quote from: menehune on November 29, 2017, 07:07:02 pm
You guys are the ones who are NUTS!  One minute you hate him and want him fired and the next you want to pay him buttloads of money to keep him.  Y'all aren't just fickle... y'all are manic-depressive! 

Personally, I don't want your coach...keep him, but don't come here and tell us how delusional we are when y'all have a major split-personality!

One minute my arse.

Since going to the natty in 2013, we had lost 5, 6 and 5 games respectively the last three years.  That included 3 straight years of losing to our biggest rivals, UGA and Alabama, when at least two of those we had zero business losing to UGA.  It also included a bad stretch of QB eval and recruiting leaving us with one viable option (Sean White) and when that option got injured we were sunk.  He logically went into this year needing to fix those problems. 

The loss to LSU with a 20-0 lead ratcheted up the pressure.  But he figured it out and righted the ship and beat UGA and Bama who were both ranked #1 at the time and has us in position to go to the CFP playoff.

That's not being fickle or delusional  It's responding to new data accordingly.  You should do the same.

JONAS

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on November 29, 2017, 06:53:43 pm
That is a plus. But it is small comfort in this oh so public fiasco, especially if we pass on Lane Kiffin and hire one of the unproven lower tier coaches mentioned.

We do not need to pass on Kiffin. 

bob slydell

I honestly don't think taking a run at Gus looks delusional at all.  Even if it is a whiff.  It is a sensible connection.  It's certainly not as delusional as the Gruden or Cowher talk I remember from 2012.

HyperDrive

Quote from: Wooderson on November 29, 2017, 08:06:43 pm
There are other circumstances that you are obviously not aware of that has to do with family.  Not just being close to family.  Sometimes there is a certain time where you need to be close to family.

You keep thinking that if it makes you sleep better.  But I'd prepare to welcome Coach Norvell if I were you.

HyperDrive

Quote from: Bob Slydell on November 29, 2017, 08:12:44 pm
It's certainly not as delusional as the Gruden or Cowher talk I remember from 2012.

I can agree with this at least.