Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Miss State Targeting Venables

Started by Hogfan46, November 27, 2017, 05:55:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hawgwash

goodguytex

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2017, 05:55:51 pm
Would be a fantastic hire.
If I were Peoples, Venables would already be enroute to Fayetteville on the UA jet, getting ready to be introduced as our new HC.

younghog

Aren't the HOGS targeting HIM AS WELL
GO HOGS

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: goodguytex on November 27, 2017, 05:57:37 pm
If I were Peoples, Venables would already be enroute to Fayetteville on the UA jet, getting ready to be introduced as our new HC.

Assuming Venables wanted to board said jet.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

goodguytex

Quote from: younghog on November 27, 2017, 06:02:00 pm
Aren't the HOGS targeting HIM AS WELL
We hope. So who are you wanting to see get the job Younghog? Sorry. Can't be Nutt.

goodguytex

Hogfan46

Airforcehawg

They are going after J. Pruitt as well...guess they are hunting for a defensive mind.

younghog

Quote from: goodguytex on November 27, 2017, 06:04:03 pm
We hope. So who are you wanting to see get the job Younghog? Sorry. Can't be Nutt.

CLASSIC

I'll post in a bit.. Still doing my RESEARCH..

BUT I DO NOT WANT STRONG OR SUMLIN FOR SURE.
GO HOGS

jgcat4

Quote from: goodguytex on November 27, 2017, 06:04:34 pm
Well yeah, that would help.

Duct tape, zip ties and a burlap bag would also help...
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Paul

TebowHater

Can't wait for them to hire Venables so we can continue to lose to MSU every year. He will shut down Norvells offense so fast, just like UCF did (13 points, lost by 27).

Spektre

Already said it... will say it again... Miss State will move fast. All the chips are going to be falling fast and here we are with head and thumb firmly in @$$ waiting for hell to freeze over.

Paul

Quote from: Spektre on November 27, 2017, 06:34:02 pm
Already said it... will say it again... Miss State will move fast. All the chips are going to be falling fast and here we are with head and thumb firmly in @$$ waiting for hell to freeze over.
they won't hire him so he'll  still be in play

Pigasaurus

Young guys around campus swear that the drumbeats are saying Venables.  Good hire, would need right OC.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

hawgwash

Hopefully the comments saying we are still pursuing him are true.  I really hadn't seen anything much about him today and ASSumed (hopefully incorrectly) that either we aren't interested in him or vice versa.

ChicoHog

November 27, 2017, 06:49:00 pm #20 Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:37:07 pm by ChicoHog
Miss st isn't dumb enough to hire Leach or some of the other names thrown around.  They are going straight for the cream of the crop in Venables.  We are going to miss the boat while we are waiting for malzahn and/or Norvell.  I was hoping the Bulldogs would hire manny Diaz, former DC now on the Miami staff.  or maybe kevin Sumlin or Todd graham!

ipigsooie

Quote from: hawgwash on November 27, 2017, 06:46:26 pm
Hopefully the comments saying we are still pursuing him are true.  I really hadn't seen anything much about him today and ASSumed (hopefully incorrectly) that either we aren't interested in him or vice versa.

We may have put feelers out and he is not interested. The same will probably be said about MSU .  He is probably waiting for the perfect job. Also with his son coming to play there next year, enrolling in January, that's hard to walk away from unless it's something like your dream job.

TebowHater

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 27, 2017, 06:52:20 pm
We may have put feelers out and he is not interested. The same will probably be said about MSU .  He is probably waiting for the perfect job. Also with his son coming to play there next year, enrolling in January, that's hard to walk away from unless it's something like your dream job.

His son could easily enroll at Ark in January too. He wanted this job before. He has been no where near the top of our list, for whatever unfathomable reason.

JONAS

hogfansince79

Quote from: TebowHater on November 27, 2017, 06:18:53 pm
Can't wait for them to hire Venables so we can continue to lose to MSU every year. He will shut down Norvells offense so fast, just like UCF did (13 points, lost by 27).

Are you related to hogsanity?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

hogsmash12

There ya go. Wait on Gus and get our a $$ES beat for years to come. Nice.

BrokerHawg

Again, most teams (UCLA,Florida,Tenn,,Miss State) has listed a target and gone after them. Everyone wants a source for proof but go online it is ALL over the place. Why can't we be upfront like them and name a few targets to spice things up. It looks like we are settling for "best of the rest" when the dust settles.

hawgwash

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 27, 2017, 06:58:18 pm
Can't speak for TebowHater but I'd say on this point many of us now consider ourselves related to GoHogs1091.  GoHogs1091 is a big supporter of Venables.  GoHogs1091 has supported Venables for many years.  Some of us may have first become aware of Venables because of GoHogs1091.  GoHogs1091 can vouch for Venables to be the best defensive mind in all of football.

Now if we can only get Venables to bring along Clint Conquer as his OC we'll be set for years to come.

BR

Jeremy Pruitt from Bama is getting an interview also
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

JONAS

Quote from: BrokerHawg on November 27, 2017, 07:05:38 pm
Again, most teams (UCLA,Florida,Tenn,,Miss State) has listed a target and gone after them. Everyone wants a source for proof but go online it is ALL over the place. Why can't we be upfront like them and name a few targets to spice things up. It looks like we are settling for "best of the rest" when the dust settles.

The problem is that we are going after coaches whose teams are playing in conference championship games.  We have to wait until this weekend.  I'm sure by next Monday there will be a press conference to announce the new coach.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hawgwash on November 27, 2017, 07:06:00 pm
Can't speak for TebowHater but I'd say on this point many of us now consider ourselves related to GoHogs1091.  GoHogs1091 is a big supporter of Venables.  GoHogs1091 has supported Venables for many years.  Some of us may have first become aware of Venables because of GoHogs1091.  GoHogs1091 can vouch for Venables to be the best defensive mind in all of football.

Now if we can only get Venables to bring along Clint Conquer as his OC we'll be set for years to come.
rick stansbury needs to find a way on that staff, too.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

TebowHater

Quote from: hogfansince79 on November 27, 2017, 06:58:18 pm

Quote from: hawgwash on November 27, 2017, 07:06:00 pm

Don't know Hogsanity, these are just the facts.

Give me one coach we could hire who has beaten Gus twice (combined 19 points allowed in two games!!) and Saban once within the past two years...I'll wait.

Actually screw it, any coach all time who has beaten Gus at least twice and Saban at least once

ipigsooie

Quote from: TebowHater on November 27, 2017, 07:28:25 pm

Give me one coach we could hire who has beaten Gus twice (combined 20 points allowed in two games) and Saban once within the past two years...I'll wait.

Actually screw it, any coach all time who has beaten Gus at least twice and Saban at least once

Sweet! Is Dabo interested? Sign me up!

TebowHater

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 27, 2017, 07:29:22 pm
Sweet! Is Dabo interested? Sign me up!

Almost mentioned "and don't say Dabo. As mentioned in the line above this, someone we could actually hire." but figured we would be mature enough here not to need to do that.

Even accepting Dabo, Dabo - an offensive coach - did not win those games (they scored < 20 in both). Their defense did.

ipigsooie

Quote from: TebowHater on November 27, 2017, 07:30:26 pm
Almost mentioned "and don't say Dabo. As mentioned in the line above this, someone we could actually hire." but figured we would be mature enough here not to need to do that

It's hard to separate Dabo from the equation. He is an amazing personality and gets amazing recruits. Not saying Venables isn't great but it's hard to give all that credit for beating Saban and Gus to Venables.

TebowHater

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 27, 2017, 07:32:57 pm
It's hard to separate Dabo from the equation. He is an amazing personality and gets amazing recruits. Not saying Venables isn't great but it's hard to give all that credit for beating Saban and Gus to Venables.

Did they win because of offense or defense in those games?

Clemson 19 - Aubrun 13
Clemson 14 - Auburn 6

How much of a role does Dabo - a former offensive player and coach - play in the defensive scheme? Honestly, I don't know the answer to that and he may be quite involved (e.g. Saban - however he was a D coach before). But just going off of Nutt, Petrino, and CBB (who even was D background), the majority of the credit has to go to the DC for the D performance. The Bama game I have to credit Dabo more because their O actually scored on Bama's D

goodguytex

What I'm afraid may wind up happening is we might let candidates that we can get right now go somewhere else because people in charge of this process are star crossed in love with malzahn coming here at the last minute when that probably isn't going to happen.

I mean there are posters here wanting us to wait a month or more if necessary for malzahn. There's no hard evidence he even wants to coach here ever again. But we should wait on auburn to lose to bama... Oh wait, let's wait another week for auburn to lose to Georgia... Oh wait. They wind up beating Georgia, so let's wait until January.

All for something that will probably not even happen. In the meantime, the other programs get a HC, and we are left with Skip Holtz or Tim Horton.

Seriously, this Gus fixation could wind up doing lasting harm to our university. It needs to stop.

Bubba's Bruisers

Give me one coach we could hire who has beaten Gus twice (combined 19 points allowed in two games!!) and Saban once within the past two years...I'll wait.

Dabo's not coming.

Sivad

TebowHater

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Sivad on November 27, 2017, 07:52:26 pm
Wasn't invited either.

We wouldn't invite anyone we know would laugh at us. 

Quote from: TebowHater on November 27, 2017, 07:52:26 pm
Please see above. "That we could hire."

I did.  He's the only one I can think of that accomplished what you're describing.  Maybe Sumlin or Freeze?  Can't remember.

TebowHater

Sumlin didn't. Freeze I checked and he only beat Gus once.

In the four years under Dabo w/o Venables, Clemson had never won 11 games and had only won 10 once.

With Venables, they have won 11+ 5 of 6 years (won 10 in the other year). There have only been FOUR years in his 21 year career that he hasn't won 10+ games. That is insane!

TebowHater

Total Defense at Clemson

Year before he came: 71
Year 1. 64
Year 2. 24
Year 3. 1
Year 4. 10
Year 5. 8
Year 6. 6

??? ??? ??? ???

http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: TebowHater on November 27, 2017, 08:02:40 pm
Sumlin didn't. Freeze I checked and he only beat Gus once.

In the four years under Dabo w/o Venables, Clemson had never won 11 games and had only won 10 once.

With Venables, they have won 11+ 5 of 6 years (won 10 in the other year). There have only been FOUR years in his 21 year career that he hasn't won 10+ games. That is insane!

Hey, I'm great with him.  I just don't buy the idea that a coordinator "beat" another HC.  Dabo beat Gus and Saban, not venables.  Dabo is leading an entire program, not Venables.

But yes, I'd take Venables in a heartbeat.

Dumbest thing Stoops ever did was push Venables out of Norman.

TebowHater

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2017, 08:16:03 pm
Hey, I'm great with him.  I just don't buy the idea that a coordinator "beat" another HC.  Dabo beat Gus and Saban, not venables.  Dabo is leading an entire program, not Venables.

But yes, I'd take Venables in a heartbeat.

Dumbest thing Stoops ever did was push Venables out of Norman.

Thought the samething re Stoops. Brotherly love.

NWASooner posted in another thread a slightly different perspective on that story though

HawgTide

Quote from: goodguytex on November 27, 2017, 07:44:17 pm
What I'm afraid may wind up happening is we might let candidates that we can get right now go somewhere else because people in charge of this process are star crossed in love with malzahn coming here at the last minute when that probably isn't going to happen.

I mean there are posters here wanting us to wait a month or more if necessary for malzahn. There's no hard evidence he even wants to coach here ever again. But we should wait on auburn to lose to bama... Oh wait, let's wait another week for auburn to lose to Georgia... Oh wait. They wind up beating Georgia, so let's wait until January.

All for something that will probably not even happen. In the meantime, the other programs get a HC, and we are left with Skip Holtz or Tim Horton.

Seriously, this Gus fixation could wind up doing lasting harm to our university. It needs to stop.

This is only Day 3 without a Head Coach. Everyone we are interested in is still available. Most people in the know expect us to have a coach next week

ChicoHog

Without checking I bet Les Miles beat Auburn twice while Malzahn was there and I know he beat Saban one time at least.  Now I don't want Les Miles but I am just saying I think he did what you asked.

I would hire Venables immediately if he was interested.  Dude can recruit and also coach defense.  But most importantly he can recruit.  And we all know you teach offense but you recruit defense. 

hogcods8

Quote from: goodguytex on November 27, 2017, 05:57:37 pm
I'm glad you aren't People's then. Last week you were wanting Dave Cutcliffe. Make up your mind son.

goodguytex

Quote from: hogcods8 on November 27, 2017, 09:19:13 pm
I'm glad you aren't People's then. Last week you were wanting Dave Cutcliffe. Make up your mind son.
No I wasn't. I'm pretty sure I haven't even mentioned Cutcliffe as an option at all.

I was on board with Campbell and Venables pretty early on. I mentioned going hard at Bob Stoops too. Cutcliffe has an accomplished career. He won at ole Miss. Might be better suited for Tennessee though.

TexArkHogFan

If we can't compete with Miss State for a HC, then we have indeed sunk to a new low.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming