Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Either AL, AU, FL, GA, LSU, or TN have been the SEC FB champ each yr since 1964

Started by UA1985, November 26, 2017, 11:44:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UA1985

(KY retroactively claimed a co-championship with GA in 1977 after KY's loss to MSU was erased via MSU forfeit.) We need one helluva game changer at head coach to climb this mountain. Even though two of the six programs that have a realistic shot at the title are down right now, AL, AU, GA and LSU are pretty damn strong. Leap frogging them ALL is quite the challenge. Something to shoot for, I suppose.

rlamb

Yeah, and you know it's embarrassing and all but I think we have won or tied for 4 SEC West
titles in the 25 year time span we've been in SEC. Only Bama, Auburn and LSU have won more.
LSU and Auburn not by many.

It took once mighty Florida from 1915 or so till 1991 or so when Steve Spurrier arrived to win
their first outright  SEC Title! That's about 65 years. They won  one in the 80-'s with Galen Hall
as Coach but were stripped of it because of NCAA sanctions.

Hugo Bezdek

We've been to the brink. We need the right coach to take us all the way. A Sugar Bowl in 2010 and Top 5 finish in 2011 tells you we are perfectly capable of doing it.

oldbooniehog

Only Sugar Bowl team finished 2nd in SEC West and Top Five finished 3rd in SEC West.

Even with bestest coach ever who the Yankee fired, Hogs are Second Fiddle in the SEC West.

SchrodingersHog

Thus the regular appearance of posts questioning why we stay in the SEC.

We are nothing but a well paid rent-a-win for the dominant programs in the SEC.  We get $$$ and the dominant schools get resume buildings wins.  We aren't alone.  South Carolina, Ole Miss, Miss St, Vandy, and others are similarly used by the winners of the SEC. I'm sure most of us have noticed the SEC refs tend to protect the top programs every year.

At least Kentucky gets the trade off of a basketball conference they can win.

At least we can brag about getting stomped by the best teams in the best conference in college football.  Except that's not true anymore either.

Pig in the Pokey

This is what our big brothers in the SEC call "The Big 6", and we aint in it.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Hogwild

The year we finally made to the Sugar Bowl, we ended up being the 4th highest ranked team in our division.  That is crazy tough division.

Billy Bats

Folks seem to have more pride in the SEC and the West division than they do in their own school. 

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hogtimes

This is why Arkansas is such a tough job.   I can see some up and coming coaches like Venables would pass on the job.   However some like Norvell have reasons to take it.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggie17

We can crack the hold of those 6 teams with the right HC. If by some miracle we get Gus we will break into the top elite SEC teams. Maybe with Kiffin.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 27, 2017, 08:30:11 am
We only been in the league since the early 1990's

26 seasons, 3 seccg appearances, blown out in 2 of those 3. Only finished ranked 5 times in those 26 seasons.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SchrodingersHog

Quote from: IronHog on November 27, 2017, 08:23:32 am
Play dirty, fast, and mean

Earn those penalties

You mean like that penalty called by Marc Curles in the 2009 Florida game? 

The SEC protects their marquee programs.  Arkansas is not one of those programs and never will be.

In the eyes of the SEC powers that be, Arkansas has a role to play and it is not winning football championships.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: UA1985 on November 26, 2017, 11:44:27 pm
(KY retroactively claimed a co-championship with GA in 1977 after KY's loss to MSU was erased via MSU forfeit.) We need one helluva game changer at head coach to climb this mountain. Even though two of the six programs that have a realistic shot at the title are down right now, AL, AU, GA and LSU are pretty damn strong. Leap frogging them ALL is quite the challenge. Something to shoot for, I suppose.

How many in the other P5 conferences have won their respective championship in the timeframe. I bet most only have about half or so as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Hogtimes on November 27, 2017, 08:27:52 am
This is why Arkansas is such a tough job.   I can see some up and coming coaches like Venables would pass on the job.   However some like Norvell have reasons to take it.

I think either of those guys would take the job.  Venables is from Kansas... went to Kstate under Snyder.  Coached at OU, recruited in Texas and the SE.  Dude knows the territory, and given his Kstate heritage, what it takes to win at Arkansas. 

Memhogs

Quote from: oldbooniehog on November 27, 2017, 06:47:44 am
Only Sugar Bowl team finished 2nd in SEC West and Top Five finished 3rd in SEC West.

Even with bestest coach ever who the Yankee fired, Hogs are Second Fiddle in the SEC West.

Keep in mind bama and lsu were stacked that year
Thats why they make chocolate and Vanilla, some folks like chocolate, and everyone else has bad taste.

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

Takes the right culture and coach. Someone made mention that only a short time ago Clemson was considered a middle of the pack program like Arkansas was, (before Bielema of course). Now they are elite.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Pigsrus

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 07:57:08 am
This is what our big brothers in the SEC call "The Big 6", and we aint in it.
Got a feeling Tennessee is about to have their membership card cancelled and never renewed.  Along with Nebraska, there are two once dominant teams relegated to near obscurity for decades to come.  Nebraska because of their location (cold northern school with no recruiting base) and Tenner because their fans are batshite crazy!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Billy Bats on November 27, 2017, 08:22:03 am
Folks seem to have more pride in the SEC and the West division than they do in their own school. 
if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best.

the Broyles wanted Arkansas to be a nobody school he would have moved us to a nobody conference.

I have no interest in being compared to memphis or UCF or LA-Monroe, etc.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: hogsanity on November 27, 2017, 01:26:25 pm
One or two of the big 6 in the sec is ALWAYS stacked.
Sec West had three teams in the top 3 during the last regular season week that year. I don't think that's ever happened. That's beyond stacked.

Hogdomer

Quote from: oldbooniehog on November 27, 2017, 06:47:44 am

We were a dropped punt away from winning the SEC in 2006.  Also, what does any of this have to do with getting back to respectability.  We lost at home to Toledo, TCU and Texas Tech and nearly lost to LA Tech and Coastal Carolina.  We were 11-29 in conference.  Forget winning the SEC, let's be competitive.

Billy Bats

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 27, 2017, 02:16:06 pm
if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best.

How much longer than 25 years is it going to take to beat the best?

Hogtimes

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on November 27, 2017, 09:45:05 am
I think either of those guys would take the job.  Venables is from Kansas... went to Kstate under Snyder.  Coached at OU, recruited in Texas and the SE.  Dude knows the territory, and given his Kstate heritage, what it takes to win at Arkansas. 

I agree with what you say about Veneables. He has a lot to offer Arkansas .......but what does
Arkansas offer to get him to take the job.  As I said, this is a tough job, because of recruiting problems and conference schedule. He can probably do better IF he wants a head coaching job

PorkSoda

Quote from: Billy Bats on November 27, 2017, 02:20:35 pm
How much longer than 25 years is it going to take to beat the best?
I don't know.  hopefully sooner than later.  should we be afraid of the challenge?  we have beaten the #1 ranked team a couple times, we have played in 3 SECCG's.  we are very capable of competing in the SEC, despite the recent rut we have been in.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

orvillesghost

I really don't think Arkansas can ever win the SEC, much less a national title even if the new coach was a cross between Nick Saban and Vince Lombardi

You have to keep hoping though, otherwise just fold up the program or go into the Sun Belt or such

SooieGeneris

Quote from: rlamb on November 27, 2017, 02:44:12 am
Yeah, and you know it's embarrassing and all but I think we have won or tied for 4 SEC West
titles in the 25 year time span we've been in SEC. Only Bama, Auburn and LSU have won more.
LSU and Auburn not by many.

It took once mighty Florida from 1915 or so till 1991 or so when Steve Spurrier arrived to win
their first outright  SEC Title! That's about 65 years. They won  one in the 80-'s with Galen Hall
as Coach but were stripped of it because of NCAA sanctions.

This. UF had NEVER won the SEC championship until Steve Superior rode in on his golf cart. I guess they should have jumped to the Little 12 like so many say we should..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

orvillesghost

People talk about how it took the right coach for Florida and LSU to get there but they tend to forget, both those states are hotbeds of talent.

Arkansas isn't.

We not only have to have the once in a lifetime coach but also one who can in someway lift recruiting. So far no coach has been able to do that since we joined the SEC.

jvanhorn

Well the track record certainly indicates more of the same.  One reason I am sure Gus will not leave Auburn is that he has got that program built for the long haul.  Just check out the depth and how few seniors he has.  Next years team might very well be better than this years.  And beating Saban is something that will endure him to Auburn fans for a long time.

moses_007

Ole Miss hasn't won the SEC since the early 60s when they had Archie Manning at quarterback.

Arkansas has never won it. 

I wonder if Hogs will ever win it.

jvanhorn

Quote from: orvillesghost on November 27, 2017, 03:56:26 pm
I really don't think Arkansas can ever win the SEC, much less a national title even if the new coach was a cross between Nick Saban and Vince Lombardi

You have to keep hoping though, otherwise just fold up the program or go into the Sun Belt or such

Sad, but probably a realistic assessment.  I think Arkansas needs to get competitive and be the kind of team that will fight you and earn your respect and that you can't take for granted or you will be sorry.  Do I think they will be ever be a dominating force in the SEC picked to win their division constantly and maybe even better.  Well the last quarter of a century says that is very, very unlikely to happen.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Billy Bats on November 27, 2017, 08:22:03 am
Pretty sad.  I don't care if the rest of the teams in our league win the championship.  I want us to win the championship. 

jvanhorn

However I am much more optimistic about basketball [even with Kentucky in the league].  Wichita State has shown you get the right 8 players or so you can play with anyone.  And, as far as I am concerned, every year we are a threat to hold a regional and have a decent shot to get to the World Series in baseball.

ChicoHog

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 27, 2017, 03:56:38 pm
This. UF had NEVER won the SEC championship until Steve Superior rode in on his golf cart. I guess they should have jumped to the Little 12 like so many say we should..
They were a sleeping giant for sure.  Back in the day there wasn't the recruiting prowess, message boards, constant pressure to win, southeast had not experienced the population boom and growth they have in the last 30 years.  Spurrier was a good coach but I think a lot of coaches would have won there at that time. 

Hoggie17

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 27, 2017, 01:29:48 pm
Takes the right culture and coach. Someone made mention that only a short time ago Clemson was considered a middle of the pack program like Arkansas was, (before Bielema of course). Now they are elite.
They were until Dabo came along.  One coach with a good run can change your program.

jvanhorn

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 27, 2017, 11:08:02 pm
However I am much more optimistic about basketball [even with Kentucky in the league].  Wichita State has shown you get the right 8 players or so you can play with anyone.  And, as far as I am concerned, every year we are a threat to hold a regional and have a decent shot to get to the World Series in baseball.

At least as long as Van Horn is the coach.  After that who knows.  I guess it will depend on how much of a priority baseball is with the next A.D., but the facilities and the reputation are already in place and it will a job a lot of baseball coaches would like to have.

JONAS

We should have had one in 2006.

hogsanity

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 27, 2017, 11:08:02 pm

Basketball just takes so many fewer players to put a good team on the court, and at least for the foreseeable future there is enough in state talent to sustain the program. Baseball - DVH has done a really good job of convincing some pretty good players to forego the draft out of HS and come to college and play, and gets some pretty good players in state and regionally. Many more quality baseball players available from Mizzu, KS, and Oklahoma than in football.

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 27, 2017, 03:49:28 pm
I don't know.  hopefully sooner than later.  should we be afraid of the challenge?  we have beaten the #1 ranked team a couple times, we have played in 3 SECCG's.  we are very capable of competing in the SEC, despite the recent rut we have been in.

All 3 of those seccg appearances had 2 things in common. 1. The team could play defense. 2. The secw in those seasons was like the sece is now. 

Hogwild

Quote from: moses_007 on November 27, 2017, 11:03:12 pm
Ole Miss hasn't won the SEC since the early 60s when they had Archie Manning at quarterback.

Arkansas has never won it. 

I wonder if Hogs will ever win it.

No, Archie Manning was still in grammer school when Ole Miss last won the SEC, it was the week before JFK was assassinated. Archie wasn't drafted by the Saints until 1971.

Hogwild

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 27, 2017, 09:41:00 am
How many in the other P5 conferences have won their respective championship in the timeframe. I bet most only have about half or so as well.

The Big 10-
In that time frame '64, the original ten and Penn State have all won the conference. 
Since 1990, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Northwestern have all won it multiple times.  Purdue once with Brees. Maryland, Rutgers and Nebraska have not won a Big Ten title

Pac-10/12
Since 1990 Washington, Washington State, Stanford, California, UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon, and Oregon State have all won a conference title. Colorado and Utah have won conference championships since 1990, but not in the Pac12.

Big 12-
Since 1993 when it was created OU (10), Texas(3) , Baylor (2), Kansas State (2), Nebraska (2) Colorado (1), OK State (1), TCU (1), A&M (1). The only current and still member of the conference that hasn't won a championship would be Kansas, Tech, and Iowa State.

ACC-
Since 1992 Florida State, Miami, Clemson, VA Tech, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Maryland and Wake Forest have all won the ACC.
By the timeframe listed by the OP, it would add Duke, North Carolina, NC State, and South Carolina.

code red

At this point.  We need to start by filling the stadium...then work on championships.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

BroyledNutts

Quote from: code red on November 28, 2017, 02:27:55 pm
At this point.  We need to start by filling the stadium...then work on championships.

... and get them to stay for 60 minutes ...