Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long

Started by cram224, October 16, 2017, 02:03:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 01:50:42 pm

Which he wouldn't have agreed to. He would have wanted 4 years guaranteed. His buyout would have reflected that.

Why wouldn't he?  Was he in such high demand as to dictate conditions for employment?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 11:50:04 am
Most people don't base their donation on who the HC is. They base it on whether the team is winning or not.

Maybe you do and a few others but I doubt that most do.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rhames

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 01:51:46 pm
Why wouldn't he?  Was he in such high demand as to dictate conditions for employment?

I mean he wasn't hired....

So if he wanted the job that bad he would have been fine with one year route then go from there. He didn't want that so whatever "talks" ended there.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 01:54:51 pm

I mean he wasn't hired....

So if he wanted the job that bad he would have been fine with one year route then go from there. He didn't want that so whatever "talks" ended there.

Maybe because he realized that a coach with a one year contract is no coach at all.  How does a guy with a one year contract recruit or demand accountability from his staff or his players? 

Only a complete and total buffoon with no pride who is looking for a pay day, would take such a deal.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 01:50:42 pm

Which he wouldn't have agreed to. He would have wanted 4 years guaranteed. His buyout would have reflected that.

He wouldn't have left himself vulnerable to the risk of being let go after one year,  which is what you are advocating for.

Wrong. The guarantee that Fulmer wanted was not the money, he wanted to be guaranteed that he would coach 4 years at Arkansas. He wanted a 4 year no termination contract. They should have given him that guarantee regardless of the buyout.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 01:59:56 pm
Wrong. The guarantee that Fulmer wanted was not the money, he wanted to be guaranteed that he would coach 4 years at Arkansas. He wanted a 4 year no termination contract. They should have given him that guarantee regardless of the buyout.

Yeah guv.....yeah.

How does one guarantee years in a contract?

I'll hang up and listen.

I'll give you this guv...your confidence in your it ignorance is inspiring.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

rhames

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 01:58:58 pm
Maybe because he realized that a coach with a one year contract is no coach at all.  How does a guy with a one year contract recruit or demand accountability from his staff or his players? 

Only a complete and total buffoon with no pride who is looking for a pay day, would take such a deal.

Well exactly. We wanted to go the interim route. He didn't. And a contract with a low buyout would have been essentially that. A one year contract guarantee for 2012.

Yeah John L was a disaster but there was no reason to put our eggs in the fulmer basket if it was going to cost us 4 years.

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 02:11:39 pm

Well exactly. We wanted to go the interim route. He didn't.

Yeah John L was a disaster but there was no reason to put our eggs in the fulmer basket if it was going to cost us 4 years.

As opposed to the self imposed death penalty we got?   Yeah, great call...

PonderinHog

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 02:11:39 pm

Well exactly. We wanted to go the interim route. He didn't.

Well, in hindsight...

Who knows?

rhames

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 02:12:42 pm
As opposed to the self imposed death penalty we got?   Yeah, great call...

Overly dramatic much?

rhames

hogsanity

So lets see, the most popular threads on HV today are:

Debating if Fulmer should have gotten hired ( a derail of a thread )
How bad the refs were in a game 8 years ago
Who the realistic replacements are for a coach not yet fired
Who the brass are pushing as the replacement for a HC not yet fired.
That HDN got an apology from OM

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 02:07:00 pm

Yeah guv.....yeah.

How does one guarantee years in a contract?

I'll hang up and listen.

I'll give you this guv...your confidence in your it ignorance is inspiring.

Simple. Just put a 4 year no termination clause in the contract and set the buyout so that it only applies if another college wants to buy his contract should he want to leave.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 02:17:01 pm
Simple. Just put a 4 year no termination clause in the contract and set the buyout so that it only applies if another college wants to buy his contract should he want to leave.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. 

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 02:16:42 pm

Yeah. Sometimes I get guv'ed too easy.

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 02:14:46 pm

Overly dramatic much?

The worst five year stretch in conference play in school history says I'm not.

hogsanity

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 02:18:04 pm

Yeah. Sometimes I get guv'ed too easy.

Not just guv, most of the posters here love living in the past or outside of reality.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rhames

Quote from: hawgon on October 17, 2017, 02:18:34 pm
The worst five year stretch in conference play in school history says I'm not.

I'm not happy either but death penalty?

The right coach can come in next year and win 7 or 8 and build off of that.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 02:17:32 pm

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. 

Laugh all you want but that's how one does it. If a University wants to guarantee a Head Coach that he'll be the head Coach at their school for 4 years, they put a 4 year no termination clause in his contract which would mean the University couldn't fire him or buy him out for 4 years but another college could buy him out if he wanted to leave.

EastexHawg

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 02:14:46 pm

Overly dramatic much?

We went from a top three SEC program in 2010-2011, a team that won 29 games in three years from 2009-2011, to tied with Kentucky...one game ahead of Vanderbilt...for the worst program in the conference during the last five years.

So no, I don't think "self imposed death penalty" is overly dramatic.  That some of our fans are delusional enough to keep telling themselves we aren't really as bad as we have been doesn't make it true.  We have been awful...Kentucky, Vanderbilt awful...for going on six years.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 02:23:55 pm
Laugh all you want but that's how one does it. If a University wants to guarantee a Head Coach that he'll be the head Coach at their school for 4 years, they put a 4 year no termination clause in his contract which would mean the University couldn't fire him or buy him out for 4 years but another college could buy him out if he wanted to leave.

What school has done the Professor Guv?

hawgon

We're worse than we were in the early 90s.  I honestly did not think it was possible for us to get that bad again.

rhames

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 17, 2017, 02:24:40 pm
We went from a top three SEC program in 2010-2011, a team that won 29 games in three years from 2009-2011, to tied with Kentucky...one game ahead of Vanderbilt...for the worst program in the conference during the last five years.

So no, I don't think "self imposed death penalty" is overly dramatic.  That some of our fans are delusional enough to keep telling themselves we aren't really as bad as we have been doesn't make it true.  We have been awful...Kentucky, Vanderbilt awful...for going on six years.

I'm not saying the last few years haven't been bad.

But saying we have the same implications on a school that has gotten the death penalty is over dramatic.

EastexHawg

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 02:22:36 pm

I'm not happy either but death penalty?

The right coach can come in next year and win 7 or 8 and build off of that.

In terms of college football "death penalty" does not mean that the program is finished forever.  SMU was beating us within 6-7 years of having their program taken away.  Does that mean they didn't really get the death penalty?

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on October 17, 2017, 02:25:21 pm

What school has done the Professor Guv?

None have but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

rhames

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 17, 2017, 02:27:03 pm
In terms of college football "death penalty" does not mean that the program is finished forever.  SMU was beating us within 6-7 years of having their program taken away.  Does that mean they didn't really get the death penalty?

Have we lost scholarships?

Games not on tv?

Program shut down for a year or more?

Missed bowl games?

So far we have had 2 years (2012 and 2013) where we were terrible and finished below our average. Most likely we will be able to add 2017 to that mix.  If we do, we will have a new coach and start all over.

You're being over dramatic if you use the phrase death penalty.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 02:28:01 pm
None have but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Schools also have not grown recruits in labs yet. Doesn't mean it can't be done.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 02:16:42 pm

elviscat

If the BOT extend JF contract , we need to show them our appreciation by "Boycotting Program". Then less see how long JL and BOT survives. It will be like a snowball in hell.

ricepig

Quote from: elviscat on October 17, 2017, 03:32:07 pm
If the BOT extend JF contract , we need to show them our appreciation by "Boycotting Program". Then less see how long JL and BOT survives. It will be like a snowball in hell.

Well, one board member goes off every year, so some will survive for 9 more years.

hogsanity

As I said earlier, that is how to get their attention, and also something very few have the stones to do. They do not want to give up their seats, too much of a status symbol.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 04:11:15 pm
As I said earlier, that is how to get their attention, and also something very few have the stones to do. They do not want to give up their seats, too much of a status symbol.

Status symbol, lol, it's more of liking ones seats and not wanting to start over. Status symbol is arriving in your new Gulfstream.....

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 04:20:41 pm
Status symbol, lol, it's more of liking ones seats and not wanting to start over. Status symbol is arriving in your new Gulfstream.....

I know people with season tickets and believe me it is very much a status symbol. But ok, they just do not want to start over, same result, the one way to get the attention of the ptb is the one thing they will not do.

Razorbackers

Take a knee during the fight song

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 04:23:39 pm
I know people with season tickets and believe me it is very much a status symbol. But ok, they just do not want to start over, same result, the one way to get the attention of the ptb is the one thing they will not do.

Big money is the only way to get the "ptb's" attention.

factchecker

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 04:23:39 pm

I don't know anyone that buys season tickets for status symbol. The only thing that season tickets give you are a seat in the stadium.  They don't give anybody status.

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 04:29:11 pm

Truth.  You quit giving money and your voice is all but gone.  The only people getting attention are the big money guys anyways.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Tusks

Money talks and BS walks, always has, always will.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

redneckfriend

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2017, 10:32:21 am
Calling for the AD to be fired is much easier than facing up to the actual problems with the football program. Many of which stem from Arkansas being to small and too white, and I am referring to the state not the team.

No matter how many times this point is made it just doesn't seem to sink in. A quick check of the racial demographics will explain why high school football in Arkansas doesn't produce more D-1 players but the point is ignored. It's like reinventing the wheel on this site- don't win as much as we want, easy solution: fire the coach (and throw in the AD as well since we're really mad now). Never a practical solution just blame everything on the coach being too fat, too slovenly, too lackadaisical, too this, too that. Not that Bielema is going to get the job done but then who will?

elviscat

If the BOT extend the contract and give him a raise. Then the BOT doesn't use the  accountability system. This would say do what you want and have any type of  program and we are satisfied. No one will be held accountable. Wouldn't it great to have such a job. We have become the scum suckers of the SEC.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 04:29:11 pm
Some big money ,no matter how frustrated they are, are not going to stop putting lots n lots n lots of kids thru school up there and are not going to stop building up there and making parking lots and such.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 18, 2017, 12:13:57 pm
Some big money ,no matter how frustrated they are, are not going to stop putting lots n lots n lots of kids thru school up there and are not going to stop building up there and making parking lots and such.

No doubt, and we, an in alums, are very thankful for their contributions.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 18, 2017, 12:13:57 pm
And IMO that's as it should be.

snoblind

Jeff isn't going to be fired or retained strictly because of the Football team's record.

hogsanity

Quote from: elviscat on October 18, 2017, 11:04:20 am
If the BOT extend the contract and give him a raise. Then the BOT doesn't use the  accountability system. This would say do what you want and have any type of  program and we are satisfied. No one will be held accountable. Wouldn't it great to have such a job. We have become the scum suckers of the SEC.

He is held accountable FOR THE ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPT. Just because some of you think the world begins and ends with football is not their concern. They have a very successful and well funded ATHLETIC DEPT.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on October 17, 2017, 02:23:55 pm

Please let me go to work for you Guv. I'll be good I promise!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: nchogg on October 16, 2017, 03:28:28 pm
Jeff Long will get an extension and a raise. It's not up to us as fans.

Are you sure??? That's what Nutt said it's not up to the fans who coaches here.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2017, 12:38:34 pm
He is held accountable FOR THE ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPT. They have a very successful and well funded ATHLETIC DEPT.

Correct. Hiring winning Head coaches though, is a Big part of the AD's job and he bears some of the responsibility when a head coach is not getting the job done so truth be told, they have a PARTIALLY successful and well funded Athletic Department. Jeff Long does some things well but is poor at other things.

Hogs-n-Roses

Can't you see this flying over the stadium.

FIRE JEFF LONG NOW !

Getting played over n over n over on espn.

Well around the stadium since you can't fly over the stadium.