Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Biggest Problem With Our FB Program

Started by hawgbawb, October 15, 2017, 09:22:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgbawb

Recruiting. We can't consistently compete against the 4 and 5 star athletes that populate many of the rosters of our SEC opponents.

As much as I like Fayetteville, it is not in a fertile recruiting ground. The geographic area is sparsely-populated, and there are few elite, African Americans, and very little cultural attraction for African Americans. Little Rock used to be pretty good, but it's football culture is a shadow of its former self.

Our 1960s heyday was prior to integration. We've struggled since.

If you look at Hogville, where we have posters with rebel flags, a State flag with imagery that mimicks one, and avatars of confederate soldiers, you get the picture of the challenge we face.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Qui Gon Jinn

I see you stated your opinion of the problem.  Now what is your solution?
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

HawgPound

I would not necessarily base it on race but Arkansas High School football is down. It also does not help that not many are running the type of offense Bielema is.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hawgbawb on October 15, 2017, 09:22:27 am
Recruiting. We can't consistently compete against the 4 and 5 star athletes that populate many of the rosters of our SEC opponents.

As much as I like Fayetteville, it is not in a fertile recruiting ground. The geographic area is sparsely-populated, and there are few elite, African Americans, and very little cultural attraction for African Americans. Little Rock used to be pretty good, but it's football culture is a shadow of its former self.

If you look at Hogville, where we have posters with rebel flags, a State flag with imagery that mimicks one, and avatars of confederate soldiers, you get the picture of the challenge we face.
You are right on the money...about the recruiting.  The Rebel Flag is all over the place.  Hell I live in Charlottesville and you see what is going on there.  Our recruiting base will always be weak compared to the rest of the SEC.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hawgbawb

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on October 15, 2017, 09:24:32 am
Step 1 is recognize the problem.
I post, therefor I am.

elksnort

Yeah, because Alabama has no fans with rebel flag avatars or anything.

hawgmasta

Quote from: elksnort on October 15, 2017, 09:28:05 am

Yeah the demographics part I agree with, but a lot of our sec brethren are in towns and areas that are much more . . I don't know how else to say it but racist than NWA. NWA is surprisingly liberal compared to other similar sized southern towns.

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: hawgbawb on October 15, 2017, 09:27:41 am
Step 1 is recognize the problem.

I don't disagree, but that's not much of a solution.  Are you proposing moving to a new conference?  pay players?  etc...  I still don't see a solution proposed.

Recruiting is an issue.  I'm not sure I buy your premise as to why its an issue.  It may be a part of the issue, but it isn't the whole issue.

Inhogswetrust

October 15, 2017, 09:33:27 am #8 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:12:18 am by Inhogswetrust

Spoken like a true confused liberal that doesn't think about all the facts involved. What makes you think the other teams from around the conference don't also have fans on their boards with that same junk? They do. I see more confederate battle flags in Memphis than I've ever seen in Arkansas. Go to TN, AL, GA, MS, LS, KY, FL, TX and MO. ALL of those states have people doing that stuff online or live in person.

P.S. That being said I think Morgan Freeman is right. Why notate minorities by their ancestry. He said he is American not African American. Nobody ever referred to me as European American. We are all Americans. No real need to add anything to that.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

farmhawg

Nope, it's all about leadership. Until that is fixed nothing else will matter. The right coach with this talent will win.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on October 15, 2017, 09:24:32 am

Hawgbawb would have every recruit drive electric cars...............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ICEman

October 15, 2017, 09:34:47 am #11 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:48:59 am by ICEman
In terms of state flags, care to guess this one?
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: hawgmasta on October 15, 2017, 09:29:58 am
Yeah the demographics part I agree with, but a lot of our sec brethren are in towns and areas that are much more . . I don't know how else to say it but racist than NWA. NWA is surprisingly liberal compared to other similar sized southern towns.

Agreed.  I've lived all over this country and I've seen this first hand. 

harrisburghog

Are there no rebel flags in Mississippi,Alabama,Tennessee and Georgia anymore? Are there any confederate statues in those states? We have a small recruiting base but using race as an excuse for the programs sorry state  is reaching and pathetic.

Torqued pork

I've said for years we should become Hip-Hop U. and encourage man buns.

jrulz83

Global warming is the biggest problem with FB.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Redhogs

Good god ...just stop.  Do you even eat your breakfast without seeing racism in the cereal?  0 to do with anything here.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

onebadrubi

The ONLY team we haven't been competitive against at times is Bama.  So I'm personally not buying into it being ALL on the shoulders of the jimmy and joes. 

AFWarrior83

The coaching staff.
Hogville member since 2005.

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: farmhawg on October 15, 2017, 09:33:55 am
Nope, it's all about leadership. Until that is fixed nothing else will matter. The right coach with this talent will win.

This.  And its across the board.  Coaching and admin.  I keep hearing about our "facilites" and how nice they are.  Then I hear about other teams' facilities and they seem to eclipse us.  I hear we aren't recruiting in the right places. 

We can't out Alabama, Alabama.  Hard to out recruit a place where they can show you all their recent NC rings.  Petrino took us to #5.  He had a system and knew how to recruit to it and develop players for it.  I don't see that right now.  CBB has a desired system, but hasn't done well recruiting players for said system and has shown less ability in developing players for said system. 

hawgbawb

Quote from: hawgmasta on October 15, 2017, 09:29:58 am
But everybody's white or latino. The AA population is very small.  Where does an African American student go to have a good time? Tulsa?
I post, therefor I am.

Redhogs

Quote from: hawgbawb on October 15, 2017, 09:54:35 am
But everybody's white or latino. The AA population is very small.  Where does an African American student go to have a good time? Tulsa?
Dixon St.

Ironhawg

The biggest problem with our football program is sitting in the head coach's office. 

hawgbawb

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 15, 2017, 09:34:24 am
Hawgbawb would have every recruit drive electric cars...............
You don't like folks that are different? Maybe you should look in the mirror?
I post, therefor I am.

hawgbawb

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 15, 2017, 09:57:25 am

The biggest problem with our football program is sitting in the head coach's office. 
Like I said. Step 1 is recognize the problem.
I post, therefor I am.

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: hawgbawb on October 15, 2017, 09:58:03 am
Like I said. Step 1 is recognize the problem.
This isn't what you said the problem was.  Make up your mind.

hawgbawb

Nolan Richardson stated the problem, but the good ole boys wouldn't listen.
I post, therefor I am.

Hogwild

QuoteRecruiting. We can't consistently compete against the 4 and 5 star athletes that populate many of the rosters of our SEC opponents.

We lost by a combined 47 points against two teams we out recruited (TCU & USCe), that isn't our biggest problem.

Athog

Quote from: elksnort on October 15, 2017, 09:28:05 am

Great point! The Rebel flag is not the problem. NWA is very liberal compared to Auburn, LSU, Miss, miss State.

Hoggish1

Tell me how many cultural attractions there are in Stillwater, OK for black players.  I'll hang up and listen...

Redhogs

Quote from: Hogwild on October 15, 2017, 09:59:54 am
We lost by a combined 47 points against two teams we out recruited (TCU & USCe), that isn't our biggest problem.
Thank you.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

conwaycarl

There is a problem with recruiting at the UA but the rebel flag isn't it. I have been on vacation all over the west and north and I can tell you I have seen more rebel flags in places like central Missouri to Iowa South Dakota and Colorado and Wyoming than I have in Arkansas. Do we have them flying here? Yes but I see more up north than here.

hawgbawb

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 15, 2017, 09:44:11 am
The ONLY team we haven't been competitive against at times is Bama.  So I'm personally not buying into it being ALL on the shoulders of the jimmy and joes. 
Didn't say "all." Said "biggest."

I spent a lot of time in Tuscaloosa when I was managing two expansions to their stadium. They do also have a legacy of racism. But they are in an area with tons of African American culture, such as Birmingham, which is very close by.

Alabama is rated #282 nationally among colleges and universities, in cultural diversity See here:    https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/the-university-of-alabama/student-life/diversity/

Arkansas is rated #381  http://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-arkansas/student-life/diversity/
I post, therefor I am.

hoglady

Our biggest problem at this moment in Razorback history is the Head Hog on the sideline.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Torqued pork

Quote from: conwaycarl on October 15, 2017, 10:08:21 am
There is a problem with recruiting at the UA but the rebel flag isn't it. I have been on vacation all over the west and north and I can tell you I have seen more rebel flags in places like central Missouri to Iowa South Dakota and Colorado and Wyoming than I have in Arkansas. Do we have them flying here? Yes but I see more up north than here.
Bernie-loving bawb would have us think blacks are forced to stay in separate dorms on the wrong side of the tracks.

Kevin

please keep the liberal rhetoric in the politics forum
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawgbawb

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 15, 2017, 10:02:14 am
Tell me how many cultural attractions there are in Stillwater, OK for black players.  I'll hang up and listen...
Stillwater is close to OKC and closer to Tulsa than Arkansas.  Plus we are talking about the SEC. Do you really think OSU would be killing it in the SEC?
I post, therefor I am.

Redhogs

I think it is posters like the OP who make excuses for problems that don't exist, while ignoring the one that do ...like coaching and leadership.

Redhogs

hawgbawb

Quote from: Torqued pork on October 15, 2017, 10:11:58 am
Bernie-loving bawb would have us think blacks are forced to stay in separate dorms on the wrong side of the tracks.
We're talking about FB recruiting. Keep that talk in Political forum.
I post, therefor I am.

Inhogswetrust

October 15, 2017, 10:20:13 am #41 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:07:36 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: hawgbawb on October 15, 2017, 09:57:34 am
You don't like folks that are different? Maybe you should look in the mirror?

Really? Try again. I have a Japanese daughter in law, a cousin married to a black, black friends, etc. My wife's former business partner is a black immigrant from Nigeria.  A lot of people I do business with in the hotel industry which I serve are Indian. I even have some liberal friends I like. What I do NOT like is unabashed liberalism OR conservatism using views, stats, data or facts without thinking first.  I bet I'd even like you if I got to know you. That doesn't mean I wouldn't think some of your viewpoints are dumb. My best friend that died a couple of years ago has an older sister that we are still close friends with. She was the only one in her whole family that is liberal and actually worked for the Clintons when he was Governor. We love to see her when we go to NWA for visits and games.

hawgbawb

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 15, 2017, 10:20:13 am
Really? Try again. I have a Japanese daughter in law, a cousin married to a black, black friends, etc. My wife's former business partner is a black immigrant from Nigeria.  A lot of people I do business with ion  the hotel industry when I serve are Indian. I even have some liberal friends I like. What I do NOT like is unabashed liberalism OR conservatism using views, stats, data or facts without thinking first.  I bet I'd even like you if I got to know you. That doesn't mean I wouldn't think some of your viewpoints are dumb. My best friend that died a couple of years ago has an older sister that we are still close friends with. She was the only one in her whole family that is liberal and actually worked for the Clintons when he was Governor. We love to see here when we go to NWA for visits and games.
Really? Try again. I have a Japanese daughter in law, a cousin married to a black, black friends, etc. My wife's former business partner is a black immigrant from Nigeria.  A lot of people I do business with ion  the hotel industry when I serve are Indian. I even have some liberal friends I like. What I do NOT like is unabashed liberalism OR conservatism using views, stats, data or facts without thinking first.  I bet I'd even like you if I got to know you. That doesn't mean I wouldn't think some of your viewpoints are dumb. My best friend that died a couple of years ago has an older sister that we are still close friends with. She was the only one in her whole family that is liberal and actually worked for the Clintons when he was Governor. We love to see here when we go to NWA for visits and games.
My apologies. It seemed like you were trying to make this discussion about me.
I post, therefor I am.

forrest city joe

How did CBP win big here.how does he have 4 D-Linemen he recruited to Arkansas playing in the NFL?Arkansas has not and will not ever be loaded with 4 and 5 star players. but we have enough talent here to be better than this BS.yes talent is the number one thing. but TN has talent.and they are not doing so well.Arkansas needs a great coach to get the most out of the talent we do get. and we don't have it.there are no excuses for the Hogs being this bad.

Redhogs

Don't even try...this guy is a bomb thrower... ignore him...I'm going to from now on.

hawgbawb

I'm not saying the coaching staff is blameless. We've been through lots of coaches. Only Petrino had the level of success we aspire to, and we don't know if it was sustainable.
I post, therefor I am.

hawgbawb

Quote from: Redhogs on October 15, 2017, 10:22:59 am
Don't even try...this guy is a bomb thrower... ignore him...I'm going to from now on.
Why not respond to Reply #33, instead of making it about me? 
I post, therefor I am.

DeltaBoy

We don't have the instate recruiting base ! This Staff started out well but the past 3 years have tanked.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

tophawg19

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on October 15, 2017, 09:33:26 am
I don't disagree, but that's not much of a solution.  Are you proposing moving to a new conference?  pay players?  etc...  I still don't see a solution proposed.

Recruiting is an issue.  I'm not sure I buy your premise as to why its an issue.  It may be a part of the issue, but it isn't the whole issue.
the solution is to hire a coach and assistants known as good recruiters and that puts an exciting product on the field. players will travel for a good staff
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

East Clintwood

So how do you want to fix that? 

You want to start forcing people to move to balance the racial makeup of a towns population?  Or maybe just bus people around from city to city.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma